So today I was at the T-mobile store. I was interested in one of the cases they offered. I asked the sales person if there was more info about it. He said, "well, if you can the barcode on the back, it shows a little video on it. I told him I have seen a few on few, but not sure which one to download. He instructed me to go into app world. I put in barcode, and a list of programs showed up. I said, " which one do I pick?" He said, this one. We all use this one. Well, after downloading it, I attempted to use it, it wouldn't read. Then the sales rep tried. He couldn't either. He then asked another sales person, while she was trying, he whipped out his Samsung Galaxy, and it read the barcode in 2 seconds. She pulled out her BB 9780, same thing, about 2 seconds. They said, "that's weird." I said, seems the only diff I could see between all the phones involved, was mine didn't have auto focus." Anyone have issues with barcode readers on their 9900/9930's?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 06:14 PM
    Yeah, you need good light to get it to read. I've had some success, but not as reliable as before with my Storm2
    09-07-11 06:27 PM
    I always use the one in the AppWorld menu. Open AppWorld> Hit menu button> Select "Scan Barcode"

It has successfully read every single QR code I've tried (even small ones on documents at work). I've found that my 9930 is much quicker at reading them then any past phones (95XX and 96XX).

What I really love is that the new AppWorkd 3.0 has "Scan Barcode" as the first thing selected when you open the menu in it, so it's just a quick double tap of the menu key after you open AppWorld.
    BBThemes likes this.
    09-07-11 06:53 PM
    I always use the one in the AppWorld menu. Open AppWorld> Hit menu button> Select "Scan Barcode"

It has successfully read every single QR code I've tried (even small ones on documents at work). I've found that my 9930 is much quicker at reading them then any past phones (95XX and 96XX).

What I really love is that the new AppWorkd 3.0 has "Scan Barcode" as the first thing selected when you open the menu in it, so it's just a quick double tap of the menu key after you open AppWorld.
    very very good advice, dont bother downloading an app because your phone already has that feature! BBM used to work for this too, but is a lil hit an miss with BBM6 for some reason.
    09-07-11 06:56 PM
    Believe it or not, when you open App world, hit the Menu key, scroll down to "Scan a Barcode", you will find that the phone's reader is WAY better than any other free or even paid reader for that matter. Yes, it works on any QC code, not just Apps.
    09-07-11 07:04 PM
    Oops, sorry rides, had to pause typing for a bit, you beat me to the punch!
    ridesno159 likes this.
    09-07-11 07:06 PM
    so the lack of auto focus is not affecting apps like these right?

09-07-11 07:48 PM
    QR codes are not the same as barcodes. There are a lot more barcodes out there and I haven't been able to find a barcode scanner for anything. BTW there is a qr scanner in your BBM too.
    09-07-11 07:57 PM
    I have been having major difficulty in scanning barcodes (Not QR Codes)

Three paid apps - so far nothing.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    09-07-11 08:00 PM
    With the 9930/9900 hold the phone way further back from the barcode. The phone has a much longer natural focal length than the older bolds/tour/storm. That's how I get it to work every time.

09-07-11 08:03 PM
    Tried that as well. The further you hold a barcode away from the camera, the less detail the phone can read. Less detail = errors in reading.

The only barcode I can have a chance at reading is a dark, dark, dark print on blindingly white background.
    09-07-11 08:07 PM
    It's a little more difficult without an auto-focus camera. I found that if you match the size of the QR code box you're trying to read with the box on the screen, which means getting further away, it will actually read it really quickly.

Took me a few try's, but now I have no problem. Just need to be further away with a 99xx.
    09-07-11 08:20 PM
    QR codes aren't a problem. It's the 3x9 format barcodes that are used for product codes that are hard to read!
    09-07-11 09:52 PM
    We just had this conversation in 2 different threads..
    04-24-13 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD