I've had my AT&T Bold 9900 for about two weeks now and it has been great! Until last night. I was checking messages and Facebook when weird things started happening. The phone was acting like the screen was being tapped (various things opening) when I wasn't even touching the phone. This kept happening for a few minutes so I decided to pull the battery and reboot. When I put the battery back in nothing happened . . . nothing! I pulled and reinserted the battery several times, waiting an ever longer time with the battery out and for the device to restart, but all I had was a dead phone. Fearing the phone was bricked, I tried to hook it up to my computer and DM, but again nothing happened. On a lark I set it in the cradle and the LED came on and the phone booted up! After it started it still had a few phantom screen touches, but was working okay. I left it in the cradle overnight.

This morning I noticed after several hours that my battery was draining at least about twice as fast as normal. So, I did a battery pull to try and reset things. When I put the battery back in . . . nothing! Fortunately I had an extra power cord in my office and when I plugged it in the phone booted right up. It's working fine now with no more of the phantom screen taps, but it seems to be a little warmer than usual and the battery drain is still there.

So, bad battery or is this another software issue? I've looked through the forum and haven't seen anything like this, so any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
    11-22-11 02:03 PM
    What os are you on? Have you tried upgrading to 503 or 540?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 03:36 PM
    I'm using the stock version 440. I've always used the carrier released version on previous BBs, so not really up on how to install. I know there are lots of posts on this, but I've always been hesitant to do this. May not have a choice if AT&T doesn't update this soon (or RIM) and I keep having battery issues. I may also try a new battery just to see. The weird thing is why the phone doesn't boot up when I put the battery in.
    11-22-11 05:20 PM
    I have a Bold 9900 f/ AT&T also. I haven't had the touch screen issue, but this battery SUCKS!!!! I NEVER had to worry about my 9700 dying ever! It seems to be slowly getting better as I have the phone longer, but I still can't even get through a normal work day. The first day I had it it charged for a full 24 hrs, Off the charger at 11am and by 4pm totally dead. Today off the charger at 7am and now I only have 40% battery left I am getting a new battery tomorrow from AT&T to see if that helps. COME ON RIM WITH THE UPDATE!!!!!
    11-22-11 05:44 PM
    Who you gonna call ...........

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 07:32 PM
    I have a Bold 9900 f/ AT&T also. I haven't had the touch screen issue, but this battery SUCKS!!!! I NEVER had to worry about my 9700 dying ever! It seems to be slowly getting better as I have the phone longer, but I still can't even get through a normal work day. The first day I had it it charged for a full 24 hrs, Off the charger at 11am and by 4pm totally dead. Today off the charger at 7am and now I only have 40% battery left I am getting a new battery tomorrow from AT&T to see if that helps. COME ON RIM WITH THE UPDATE!!!!!
    Check this thread: forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-9900-f235/wow-extnded-batterry-found-same-size-orginal-one-665888/
    There's tons of posts and links to extended battery that a few people have bought and it gives them a 10-15 percent more improvement on their battery plus lasts a few more hours.
    11-22-11 11:08 PM
    Try a slower charger, you may discover your phone works fine and the charger is responsible for the horrendous battery life. The Blackberry AC/USB charger that comes with the phone charges the phone quickly but not very well. The Blackberry unit puts out 5V@750mAh. You would want something putting out 5V@<750mAh.

I Found a Nokia unit that puts out 5V@550mAh.

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    11-23-11 07:20 AM
    When I put the battery back in nothing happened . . . nothing! I pulled and reinserted the battery several times, waiting an ever longer time with the battery out and for the device to restart.

This morning I noticed after several hours that my battery was draining at least about twice as fast as normal. So, I did a battery pull to try and reset things. When I put the battery back in . . . nothing! Fortunately I had an extra power cord in my office and when I plugged it in the phone booted right up. It's working fine now but it seems to be a little warmer than usual and the battery drain is still there.
    Yeah, I had all those included and not the ones that I deleted. Touch screen refused to scoll and all other niggling issues. Check out my post on the battery http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-phone-670060/. It was a new phone too, but appears to be under control after a few weeks. Maybe it just needed to warm up!
    11-25-11 06:57 PM
    Last week I went into the AT&T corp store where I bought my phone. They put in another battery and my phone would not start. So, since I only had it for 2 weeks they did an in store exchange. I think I may have installed an older app that I had been using on my 9700 (OS5) that was not compatible with OS7. I've only installed a few apps so far (about 6) and have made sure they are all compatible with OS7. It is running great, battery life is very good (though not as good as my 9700 was!!) and all seems well. Hope it stays this way.
    11-27-11 05:26 PM
    You can leed a horse to water.
    11-27-11 05:36 PM
    there seems to be too many issues with these batteries.... sometimes on mine (the orginal charger that came w/bb9900) wont work!!! it gives me an error that i need to use a compatible usb... so i have to reboot the device in order for it to work.... i have ran into some other problems as well
    11-27-11 08:45 PM
    Try a slower charger, you may discover your phone works fine and the charger is responsible for the horrendous battery life. The Blackberry AC/USB charger that comes with the phone charges the phone quickly but not very well. The Blackberry unit puts out 5V@750mAh. You would want something putting out 5V@<750mAh.

I Found a Nokia unit that puts out 5V@550mAh.

BlackBerry 9900 & Tapatalk
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-great-669960/

What do you think of this Frank?
    11-27-11 09:57 PM
    I think all my older Blackberry chargers have the micro USB connectors and my Wife and I have the 9810 & 9900 so the old chargers are useless for us.

When I went looking for chargers I tried to find the folding blade type with the proper micro connectors but I was only able to find units with a very short cord. We both want something with a decent length cord.

I then remembered we had the charger for my Wife's Nokia 6750 and it had both a micro connector and a nice long cord.

The Nokia charged at the proper voltage but charged slower than the newer Blackberry unit so I decided to give it a shot and it has definitely improved my battery life. No doubt about that.

I am not an expert on battery technology but I have used many rechargables in my 45 years and never have I experienced a battery that lasted longer after being charged more quickly. I have however, in every single case, where I had a chance to compare, experienced an increase in battery life with a slower/longer charge. This is why battery chargers often have switches/controls for adjusting the speed of the charge.

Do I know why the folding blade types leave you with a better charge than the newer units with the USB sockets in spite of the charging speed being relatively close? No, I don't know.

But I do know the quality of the power being delivered can affect the charge and I do know people claim the older chargers provide a better charge and if I had one laying around I would try it before I spent my money on a new charger.

As for the PB Charger? I don't have a clue. I know its a lot more expensive than a RIM USB Mushroom charger and no one with a Playbook is having a cow about battery life.

Is it possible the PB unit can switch to a slower output when attached to a phone instead of the Playbook? Don't know.

Is it possible the phones can be charged faster without degrading battery performance when using a higher quality, more complex, more expensive charger? I don't know.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 11-27-11 at 11:48 PM.
    11-27-11 11:45 PM
    I let the 9900 charge over night using the Nokia charger.

I just downloaded an hour long MP4 and Watched it. My Battery is now at 82%. I used my 4G connection only to download the MP4.

I also have/had 3 extra programs running in the background.

MemoryUp
    NetworkAcc
    BatteryPlus

11-28-11 10:58 AM
    I let the 9900 charge over night using the Nokia charger.

I just downloaded an hour long MP4 and Watched it. My Battery is now at 82%. I used my 4G connection only to download the MP4.

I also have/had 3 extra programs running in the background.

MemoryUp

NetworkAcc

BatteryPlus

Click to view quoted image

Is that charger still available for sale?

BlackBerry Bold&#174; 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    11-28-11 12:02 PM
    Yes the Nokia is still available, I found a couple of them on Amazon.

11-28-11 01:19 PM
    Yes the Nokia is still available, I found a couple of them on Amazon.

Click to view quoted image

Did you see all the people who told me that I didn't know jack about electronics when I said that the charging rate affected how long the battery would last on a charge.

Where's my apology? Lol

BlackBerry Bold&#174; 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    11-28-11 02:12 PM
    11-28-11 02:13 PM
    Did you see all the people who told me that I didn't know jack about electronics when I said that the charging rate affected how long the battery would last on a charge.

Where's my apology? Lol

BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk 1.4.5.1
    Unfortunately, for some people, its all about the argument and who wins. Even if they have to support their side of things with pure nonsense. To make it even worse, others like to hop on the bandwagon once the stupid flag goes up. Doesn't make much sense but what can you do?
    11-28-11 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD