I imagine you are on wifi all day? If not I think you may have a diff thought than others of what moderate use is. Post up a screenshot if you can?
    08-27-11 09:57 PM
    how do you calculate your % drain / hour?

here is a screen from today. I have been averaging about 1.5h a day on my phone the past two weeks as I've been busy with work and not on my phone much.
    batt:

Usage:
    08-28-11 12:23 AM
    I imagine you are on wifi all day? If not I think you may have a diff thought than others of what moderate use is. Post up a screenshot if you can?
    I always have wifi on, as well as GPS and now NFC. I would take a screen shot but the only app I have that does it is Quicklaunch. It does not offer that opportunity when I show the MB screen, though. What other apps can I use?

Euro2low: Meterberry gives you a usage rate on its status screen.
    08-28-11 06:34 AM
    After 14-1/2 hours of moderate use today, I'm at 67% (2.4%/hour). SocialScope and Berryweather updating every 30 minutes, screen brightness at 50%, Meterberry running, wifi, GPS and NFC on. Running leaked .353 OS. I'm pretty happy with the battery life on this phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What OS were you running before .353? Did your battery life improve after the upgrade?
    08-28-11 06:49 AM
    I always have wifi on, as well as GPS and now NFC. I would take a screen shot but the only app I have that does it is Quicklaunch. It does not offer that opportunity when I show the MB screen, though. What other apps can I use?

Euro2low: Meterberry gives you a usage rate on its status screen.
    Why do you have NFC on? Have you been able to use it?
    08-28-11 07:22 AM
    What OS were you running before .353? Did your battery life improve after the upgrade?
    My phone came with .254, I updated to .340 and then to .353. Needless to say, I spent very little time with the first two OSs, but I'm thinking that .353 is about equal to .340, both better than .254.
    08-28-11 07:42 AM
    Why do you have NFC on? Have you been able to use it?
    No, but I just like seeing the cool homescreen icon . It doesn't seem to cause much if any battery drain.
    08-28-11 07:44 AM
    Ok, so here goes.

The 9900 came off the charger at 9:00 AM this morning. When I took these screenshots just now, I have 47% percent battery remaining, and Meterberry says the average discharge rate is 4.7% per hour. (It is 8 PM here).

Now, I don't think that the application management is recording things properly, as I had an incoming call this morning that last ~40 minutes. Strangely enough - I was down almost 20% battery after that. Also, I was using bluetooth to play music through an FM transmitter for ~ 1hr and that does not seem to be recorded in the media player either.

Apps: I have BB News, Score Mobile, and Google maps running constantly in the background.

Cell Service: I was traveling today, and was without cell service for about 2 hours all tolled. The radio was left on the entire time, as were the wifi and bluetooth radios.

Settings: Screen brightness set to 70%, auto-dim to 90 seconds. Using the Blackberry holster with auto-off feature all day.

Conclusion: I think that actually talking on the phone kills the battery very quickly, as I said I was down 20% after taking a 40 minute call this morning. After that, no cell coverage for 2 hrs., wifi and bluetooth always on, data apps running, BBMing, internet use, and media player over bluetooth did not kill the battery nearly as fast.

Take from it what you will.

08-28-11 09:01 PM
    I've had my 9900 a few days now. Up until this morning, I was very happy with the battery life. MeterBerry was showing about 1.5% per hour. Nice.

This morning, though, things started to change. I was getting up to 11% per hour. The battery life was dropping like a stone! I looked at what I had running. I had the new Rugby World Cup app and the Blackberry Travel App - plus that scanner app QR Code Scanner running. I closed them all off properly and my usage is now back to 2.6% per hour.

I'll be keeping a closer eye on running apps from now on!
    08-28-11 09:25 PM
    Yeah open apps can really kill your battery. Especially ones that take your gps location.

So it's still a constant that about 4 1/2 hrs of use will put you in need of a charger?
    A 40 minute call killing 20%!! that's nuts!

Is anybody else seeing a rapid drop when on the phone calling people?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    08-29-11 12:23 AM
    As with most of you I have had a similar battery issue and I'm in the process of analysing the problem. This has been a really interesting thread but, of those amongst us that are not quite as familiar with BB operation, could someone point out what or where all the settings we need are.

For example I want to turn GPS off plus stop Facebook from running for the life of me I can't see which are the right settings to change...

For GPS I've gone to 'options/device/location settings' but once there there is no 'off' option? Could someone clearly detail where we turn stuff off.

Thanks.
    08-29-11 04:41 AM
    Yeah open apps can really kill your battery. Especially ones that take your gps location.

So it's still a constant that about 4 1/2 hrs of use will put you in need of a charger?
    A 40 minute call killing 20%!! that's nuts!

Is anybody else seeing a rapid drop when on the phone calling people?

Calling is still the biggest battery killer, most phones have 6 hours talk time, if your signal is less then perfect it will be less.

08-29-11 04:44 AM
    Not sure how much use this will be but it might be interesting for some. I got my phone on Saturday running .296, however as I'm getting my number ported over I'm not actually connected to the network until Wednesday.

I charged it to full after getting it, took it off charge at 3pm on Saturday and haven't turned it off since. I've got no apps or network connection but it has been attached to wifi at home since Saturday and been doing some light web browsing on it it every day just to get used to it. So it's nearly been on for 48hours straight in those conditions and the battery is at 50%.

It will be interesting to see how that changes when I start using it properly with sutff on it and actually working as a phone, but that surely indicates that the OS structure and phone aren't really the issues behind any battery problems?
    08-29-11 05:32 AM
    Man, I dunno if my battery is fscked or what, but it 's having a hard time charging over 95% ever since I got this device. I've been able to reach 100% a few times, but the majority of the times the device will get to the 90s and stay there with the lightning bolt flashing. For example last night I reloaded the .353 OS to see if that was the culprit, but after leaving the device on AC all night I wake up to 94% with the bolt still flashing! I just unplugged and plugged the AC back in and now it's moved to 100%, but the voltage is stuck at 4.154V instead of 4.2V. Do I have a bad OS, battery or device??
    08-29-11 06:20 AM
    Hmmmm...no cool screenshot, but I pretty much drained my 9900 running both BB Bridge with my Playbook and a Bluetooth earpiece tonight. On the upside, it recharged to about 50% in 45 min or so on my car charger. From now on if I run both peripherals, I'll keep the phone on the charger. This is very poor performance compared to my 9700...it would drop no farther than about 50% under the same load...
    08-29-11 06:29 AM
    New update.

After 21 hours and 15 minutes I am still above 50%.

I have made a few calls, used the GPS after been able to calibrate the compass in the park. I have used foursquare and being in areas without signal. I have checked the forums and Facebook.

I think it is +- like my 9780, maybe when is used it uses more power but during idle it see it very good.
    Just to check, are you on 2G or 3G? This seems like the battery life of 2G mode
    08-29-11 06:32 AM
    Calling is still the biggest battery killer, most phones have 6 hours talk time, if your signal is less then perfect it will be less.

yes but that drainage os really ridiculous!
    08-29-11 10:24 PM
    Just to check, are you on 2G or 3G? This seems like the battery life of 2G mode
    i would be more than happy even if i get that much battery life on 2G mode
    08-30-11 12:50 AM
    So word around the forums is check your screen brightness.

What's everyone's brightness set to? And have you lowered it to try to increase battery life and has it worked?

08-30-11 10:37 PM
    Mine is at 10, the lowest and battery seems to be somewhat poor

08-30-11 10:59 PM
    My Sprint Bold was at 95% when I woke up at 630 this morning. Checked My email, Texted with my friends through out the day and did some light FB, and Twitter. Also checked Crackberry for about 20 mins. I am at 15 percent as of right now. Twitter, Facebook and Weather Channel running in the background. Screen on auto dim set to 30%. Oh and made one 4 phone calls totaling 45 min
    08-30-11 11:27 PM
    Mine is at 10, the lowest and battery seems to be somewhat poor

wow really? have you tried the wifi advice kevin posted earlier in this thread?

My Sprint Bold was at 95% when I woke up at 630 this morning. Checked My email, Texted with my friends through out the day and did some light FB, and Twitter. Also checked Crackberry for about 20 mins. I am at 15 percent as of right now. Twitter, Facebook and Weather Channel running in the background. Screen on auto dim set to 30%. Oh and made one 4 phone calls totaling 45 min
    i know when i used it the weather channel was a huge battery hog on my phone. as long as fb and twitter isnt puling at a automatic rate they just lay dormant in the background.
    08-31-11 07:37 AM
    on my second bold...the first one had sporadic battery life, and the guy at future shop just swapped a new bold for me...this second bold has a weird battery as well. Has anyone had problems with their battery suddenly warming up a bit even on Idle? I find that when I dl an app or am just browsing, the battery gets pretty warm...I'll probably go back to swap batteries.

just background on the batteries
    both bolds have the Japan/Mexico batteries.
    1st battery - 5% drainage idle, 17% on light/medium use was Lot 110613 i believe
    2nd batter - 5.5% drainage idle, 7-8% on light/medium use, but battery gets hot is Lot 110730.

not impressed with the battery...i wonder if upgrading to the .353 will make it any better? heat wise i mean...
    08-31-11 10:56 AM
    Yes, I notice that phone calls destroy the battery life. It seems to be an issue with CDMA users, too.
    08-31-11 02:40 PM
    After having the phone for over a week and not changing my usage habits, I do notice that the battery life on the device is a little weak. On my 9780 I can easily unplug the phone from 0430 and not plug it back in until 1900 with about 1/4 battery left. This desperately needs a Seidio extended battery.

08-31-11 04:35 PM
274 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD