I just want to say that I really love the battery life of this phone compared to my 9700. May be that's because the battery is still new.
    08-25-11 01:13 PM
    I completely agree with Kevin on this. All the phones i have owned have been like this to some extent. It has made a huge diifference on my storm, my incredible and my thundebolt. Sometimes its 5-8 hours difference in how long the battery lasts even depending if im out on the town or at home with a day off. The signal strength is critical when on 3G/4G. Sitting at work in my office i get 5-8 dbs less is strength and my phone will die in 10 hours without touching it really. This is where great signal strength is a huge favor for most blackberry devices, they generally have great antennas.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-25-11 at 01:19 PM.
    straightshooter likes this.
    08-25-11 01:17 PM
    Seems like battery life is different depending on your carrier.
    BlackBerry Bold 9930 First Impressions: Achilles Heel is Battery Life
    08-25-11 01:40 PM
    I just want to say that I really love the battery life of this phone compared to my 9700. May be that's because the battery is still new.
    You must have had one horrible battery on the 9700, because my 97xx's all had insane battery life and compared to the 9900, (and I have 3 batteries) they last over 100% longer on the 97xx.
    FOIA Gras likes this.
    08-25-11 03:20 PM
    Same here. My 9700 and 9780 battery lasted at least 2.5 times longer than my 9900 does with identical usage.
    Personally, i don't think that any update will make a significant change to the battery life. At least not in 9900 case. With 1200 MHz Processor, which includes GPU, Large res. touch screen and a smaller battery i wouldn't get my hopes up.
    In my opinion, any significant improvement to battery life has to come at the expense of something else. Meaning a possible "update" to OS which will , in essence, cripple the device in order to save power.
    08-25-11 04:29 PM
    My usage is pretty heave especially with email and BB news feeds and FB. Otherwise, its no different from my 9780. I unplug it at 0430 and if I do not plug it in by 2, I will not last through the day. I would say that the batter has a lot to be desired. I did upgrade to 7.0.0.353 today so I will see how this OS does on the battery over the next couple of days.

Keep in mind that I i have everything on (BT and Wi-fi). I also stream music to my helmet for about 30 minutes on the way in to work.

I can't wait for Seidio to come out with their awesome extended batteries either.
    08-25-11 04:45 PM
    My usage is pretty heave especially with email and BB news feeds and FB. Otherwise, its no different from my 9780. I unplug it at 0430 and if I do not plug it in by 2, I will not last through the day. I would say that the batter has a lot to be desired. I did upgrade to 7.0.0.353 today so I will see how this OS does on the battery over the next couple of days.

Keep in mind that I i have everything on (BT and Wi-fi). I also stream music to my helmet for about 30 minutes on the way in to work.

I can't wait for Seidio to come out with their awesome extended batteries either.
    08-25-11 04:46 PM
    Seems like battery life is different depending on your carrier.
    BlackBerry Bold 9930 First Impressions: Achilles Heel is Battery Life
    I changed carrier for a new 9900 deal and have noticed the device especially at home on the new carrier does seem to be flipping between GPRS and 3G:: all the time. I suspect this is having an effect on my battery usage as it drops quicker with what seems to be a weaker signal. One other thing I think is making a difference is lack of UMA access on my 9900. My old Curve would sit on UMA for 2-3 days between charges with moderate use. I also keep the device in a BB pocket when not being used which does seem to help preserve battery life.
    08-25-11 05:46 PM
    for those of you who didn't read Kevin's post....
    Thanks for that! Do you happen to have the link to that original post so I can follow along with the rest of that thread?
    08-25-11 05:58 PM
    Just got my 9930 on Verizon today, and I have to say I can't really complain about the battery life.

- Facebook on 3hour refreshes and Twitter set as default.
    - BBM throughout the day as well as a couple of phone calls here and there.
    - Browsed the web and read about the end of the world thats about to hit the East coast this weekend.
    - 2 email accounts on push.

All this started at about noon and my battery is sitting at 85% after 7 hours of use. No WiFi or Bluetooth, all on Verizon 3G.
    08-25-11 06:03 PM
    I completely agree with Kevin on this. All the phones i have owned have been like this to some extent. It has made a huge diifference on my storm, my incredible and my thundebolt. Sometimes its 5-8 hours difference in how long the battery lasts even depending if im out on the town or at home with a day off. The signal strength is critical when on 3G/4G. Sitting at work in my office i get 5-8 dbs less is strength and my phone will die in 10 hours without touching it really. This is where great signal strength is a huge favor for most blackberry devices, they generally have great antennas.
    Unfortunately wi-fi isn't available everywhere... when there's no wi-fi signal, doesn't the BB constantly search for a WAP and decrease battery life?
    08-25-11 06:07 PM
    Unfortunately wi-fi isn't available everywhere... when there's no wi-fi signal, doesn't the BB constantly search for a WAP and decrease battery life?
    yes, which is why you shut it down when not connected. There is an app called "smart wifi" that might be OS 7 compatible that will do this automatically for you when you leave wifi range.
    08-25-11 06:11 PM
    Just updated to .353.

40 mins of constant use has only seen me lose 3% battery so fingers crossed this build is a decent one.

I will do a proper test from full battery tomorrow

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    08-25-11 06:56 PM
    TOday was my first full day with use of my 9930 on Sprint and I must say the Battery life SUCKS!! I think my curve got better battery life. I was at Sea World Orlando, took about 20 pics uploaded them to facebook and a few bbm friends and the battery only lasted about 7 hours....with maybe 20 min talk time in there. I had Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC off too. Maybe thats good for the size of the battery but my friends iphone still had 40% battery life doing the same as I was.....NOT impressed so far and I love RIM....
    08-25-11 07:07 PM
    TOday was my first full day with use of my 9930 on Sprint and I must say the Battery life SUCKS!! I think my curve got better battery life. I was at Sea World Orlando, took about 20 pics uploaded them to facebook and a few bbm friends and the battery only lasted about 7 hours....with maybe 20 min talk time in there. I had Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC off too. Maybe thats good for the size of the battery but my friends iphone still had 40% battery life doing the same as I was.....NOT impressed so far and I love RIM....
    turn off gps service!
    08-25-11 07:40 PM
    I was told that letting the battery go down to 0% for the first 2 times was supposed to help, but reading some stuff online has made me worry that I've made my new battery worse now. Can anyone shed some light?
    08-25-11 09:48 PM
    you can do it every so often (monthly) but dont make it a habit. and yes at the beginning helps the phone know the 0 point for the battery
    08-25-11 09:51 PM
    So I haven't actually killed the battery by doing it for the first 2 times?

The other problem is during my 2nd charge, I could only charge up to 85% before I had to unplug it (had to rush off somewhere). I'm a bit worried that I didn't let it go till 100%.

I'm finding the battery life on it not as good as my other 9900, but I'm hoping it's because I just it yesterday and the battery is just sorting itself out. I never used to have to worry about battery life on my old BlackBerry, and it's kind of annoying to have to pay attention to that now. I'm just concerned that I've somehow ruined a brand new battery.
    08-25-11 09:54 PM
    Your actually only supposed to let it drain to 10-15% for the battery sensor, not all the way to dead and then try to keep it "topping up" after that. You have probably killed off some life but just don't do it again and don't worry about it.

I'm having pretty good success with my battery. After exactly 23 hours, there is 52% remaining on the first discharge. About 15 minutes of talk time, some web browsing, bbm, sms's, and constant e-mails coming in. Brightness 80% and wifi is only on when I'm at home. Since I'm coming from a 9700, I've barely been using the touchscreen if that makes a difference. The usage meter says 20.5 hours was idle time. Based on this I should be able to go 2 days without a charge if I need to however I normally have it plugged in whenever I'm at home anyway since that's what your supposed to do to prolong battery life.

Update - After powering back up after checking where the battery was made (japan/mexico), it now says 55% lol. I thought you lose battery when you pull battery and reboot.

thewird
    Last edited by thewird; 08-25-11 at 10:52 PM.
    08-25-11 10:39 PM
    So after reading that article posted I was curious about if sprint ones had better battery life but a few posts up verifies that the article is wrong.
    I love when people post stuff like that. Even though it is what their readers are saying,do some real journalism and experiment yourself and see! Lol

08-25-11 11:37 PM
    yes, which is why you shut it down when not connected. There is an app called "smart wifi" that might be OS 7 compatible that will do this automatically for you when you leave wifi range.
    I can confirm that Smart WiFi does work on OS7. The only problem with the app is it is based off cell tower location so if you drive around your office a lot for example without leaving that cell tower that marks that WiFi location your device will constantly be searching for a WiFi connection.

I have the app but only use it for turning on/off WiFi for my home network. I use the WiFi toggle feature in Quick Launch to turn my work WiFi on & off as I am out and about in the are around my office quite a bit.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-26-11 08:00 AM
    Thanks for that! Do you happen to have the link to that original post so I can follow along with the rest of that thread?
    Kevin posted that in this thread. It is on page 5 I think.
    Just click on the triangle next to Kevin's name where the post was quoted and it will take you to the original post. You can do that for any quoted post to jump to the actual place in a thread it was quoted from by someone.
    dimm0k likes this.
    08-26-11 08:04 AM
    I can confirm that Smart WiFi does work on OS7. The only problem with the app is it is based off cell tower location so if you drive around your office a lot for example without leaving that cell tower that marks that WiFi location your device will constantly be searching for a WiFi connection.

I have the app but only use it for turning on/off WiFi for my home network. I use the WiFi toggle feature in Quick Launch to turn my work WiFi on & off as I am out and about in the are around my office quite a bit.
    correct, if you work/live in the same area and either location doesnt have wifi this wont work. The cell towers need to be different
    08-26-11 08:08 AM
    Seems a lot of people have been havong batterry issues. I guess I'm lucky as I get through a normal day with 50% left or so. I send hundreds of texts and BBMs, 50+ emails from 3 different accounts, lots of forums, and calls.

08-26-11 08:39 AM

yes, this is my biggest problem with smart wifi. it is great but if i am wondering in the stores around my house my wifi will stay on. i deleted it for now because it did more harm then good. whenever i go on vacation to a hotel or resort i download it as the shops are far enough away so that you dont trip it.

Kevin posted that in this thread. It is on page 5 I think.
    Just click on the triangle next to Kevin's name where the post was quoted and it will take you to the original post. You can do that for any quoted post to jump to the actual place in a thread it was quoted from by someone.
    you know in the years i have been on this site i have never noticed that. thanks for the tip!

Seems a lot of people have been havong batterry issues. I guess I'm lucky as I get through a normal day with 50% left or so. I send hundreds of texts and BBMs, 50+ emails from 3 different accounts, lots of forums, and calls.

well you seem to have some super battery. i can bbm silvia for an hour or two and she will be down to 50 percent in no time

so.......i would like to see if you guys can try something.

i know alot of you have this device and got it because it pretty much can do everything but if you dont plan on using the gps for awhile try turning it off for a day or two and seeing if that makes a significant difference in the battery life.
    i know on my 9650 it didnt affect it that much but nor did the wifi thing either.

please post up your findings if you dare give this test a try
    08-26-11 07:48 PM
274 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD