So your a very light user?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    On Sunday, yes.

I've confirmed the phone ( at least mine ) will not make it through a regular day for me at work....
    ....It will last around 7 hours of fairly hard use then tapps out.
    ....This is literally twice as long as my Droid evo 4g.
    08-24-11 12:06 AM
    you both are hardly using your device at all. the guy that was using it for 3 hours our of 7 is more in line with what most people are going to be demanding from device
    I never claimed to be a heavy or even moderate user. I understand this was light usage but people have varying definitions of usage so I did not define my usage and simply posted the Usage screen so everyone could see what it was for themselves then compare that to his or her own usage. I was simply posting data. That is what the OP requested.
    08-24-11 07:31 AM
    Here are my results from yesterday when I again took my BB off the charger at 7:00am. I used WiFi when possible yesterday as well. I was at 57% capacity at 7:00pm. I used Twitter and some other functions over the next several hours and was 40% after 10:30pm.

My usage was about double from the previous day but still in the light category I guess.
    Snafufubar likes this.
    08-24-11 07:47 AM
    After getting my device exchanged because of battery drainage on the first one i see my battery has improved (don't know if it was the device) probably not great but definitely better then my previous device, took it off charge at 10am never touched it for 4hrs (obviously was still receiving stuff like emails, BBM, UberSocial, BBM Group) got a discharge rate of 4.4% idle I thought that was a bit high - screen shot at 2pm

Using it like i would (or maybe a little less) for the rest of the day i got this - screen shot at 9pm

decided to put it on charge before i go out and took this screen shot now 10:30pm with the charger still plugged in

WIFI = MOSTLY ON
    OS = .296
    08-24-11 04:30 PM
    so did the new battery help?
    08-24-11 07:30 PM
    The usage screen isn't that helpful...

There's no concept of display vs non display. If you leave something running on the phone for 2 hours (like the Music player) it only reports the usage while the screen was on basically.
    08-24-11 07:36 PM
    The usage screen isn't that helpful...

There's no concept of display vs non display. If you leave something running on the phone for 2 hours (like the Music player) it only reports the usage while the screen was on basically.
    yeah i downloaded an app for it since i am running os5 on my phone and i had pandora running for 8 hrs and only showed like 15 mins of use.

i would hope they could make an app that said that stuff like a task manager of sorts, but this is all we can go from right now. lol
    08-24-11 07:46 PM
    I've noticed the first 20-40% of the battery meter disappears at a high rate, but 10-30% battery remaining lasts for a long, long time.

Recharged my phone earlier today at around 5pm-ish eastern time. Unplugged and just left it around on standby, played with browser/checked email a few times, and I was down to 80% by 8pm eastern. Same general amount of usage between 8pm and now(10 pm), and still at 80%. I've had it bluetooth tethered to my PB, no WiFi

I think a lot of it is the battery meter reading rather wildly. Tomorrow I'll be at college the whole day, that'll be the big battery test day. I'll let you guys know.
    08-24-11 09:12 PM
    Yeah but a lot of people like me don't like your battery under a certain amount or we start to panic. Almost like battery anxiety lol

08-24-11 11:57 PM
    Haha I think that's true maybe I should make a theme (when available) so the battery icon stays full even if my batterys dying lol

08-25-11 12:12 AM
    This battery sucks, I hope thats RIM's claims that this phone has better battery usage in future builds gets fixed
    Talked to an intern at RIM, they've had the 9900 for about 4 months or so and he admitted the battery life is bad since he carries couple extras himself. He also said that it doesn't get any better with newer firmwares. In other words, don't get your hopes up.

08-25-11 12:25 AM
    Talked to an intern at RIM, they've had the 9900 for about 4 months or so and he admitted the battery life is bad since he carries couple extras himself. He also said that it doesn't get any better with newer firmwares. In other words, don't get your hopes up.

No offense but I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Remember when the torches dropped. They got horrid batt life. A few os's later my friend can almost go 2 days on 1 charge now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    08-25-11 12:39 AM
    First day of testing my battery after downgrading to .296 cannot post screen shots as I forgot to reset App Management.

3 hours 15 mins after unplugging I am down to 80% while this is still not great, it is a slight improvement over the 70% I was getting on .317. I have also been using my phone a bit more too. Few SMS's, couple of BBM's about 15 mins browsing, couple of checks on Ubersocial.

Holding off on going to .353 until I've seen more battery reviews from people using it.
    08-25-11 05:30 AM
    So after my last post, I read through some suggestions on how to imporive battery life, including removing social feeds and turning off automatic Facebook checking, also changing the screen timeout to 10 seconds and leaving Wifi on. Since then, my battery life has improved greatly.

I took it off of the last charge on Tuesday at around 4pm. It is now Thursday at 8am and I still have 30% left. Bear in mind that I am not a heavy user. My use is limited mostly to doing a few emails, maybe reading an article on the TSN app, checking Facebook and BBM. Still though, to have 30% left almost two full days in is fine for me. I can easily live with that.
    Last edited by straightshooter; 08-25-11 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Typo on the FB part
    08-25-11 07:35 AM
    So after my last post, I read through some suggestions on how to imporive battery life, including removing social feeds and turning on automatic Facebook checking, also changing the screen timeout to 10 seconds and leaving Wifi on. Since then, my battery life has improved greatly.

I took it off of the last charge on Tuesday at around 4pm. It is now Thursday at 8am and I still have 30% left. Bear in mind that I am not a heavy user. My use is limited mostly to doing a few emails, maybe reading an article on the TSN app, checking Facebook and BBM. Still though, to have 30% left almost two full days in is fine for me. I can easily live with that.
    So let me get this right.... Leaving Wifi and FB running in the background has improved your battery??
    08-25-11 08:00 AM
    So let me get this right.... Leaving Wifi and FB running in the background has improved your battery??
    Sorry, a typo. Facebook automatic updates are off. Wifi is on.
    08-25-11 08:08 AM
    Really? Leaving the wi-fi on actually extends battery life? Would have thought all the polling would drain the battery! When I turn it on on my iPod the battery drains like a burst pipe!

08-25-11 08:41 AM
    I don't know if leaving wi-fi on actually extends battery life (I doubt it), but I've found that it doesn't hurt it. I've gone days with wi-fi on/off and have not noticed any difference. And I don't have wi-fi at work.
    08-25-11 08:53 AM
    My experience is the battery is ok for the regular user not power use. I can say this, on stand by this thing is awesome. I left off the charger last night(accident) and expecting to wake up with yellow or red, I woke up with a good leave the house amount of life. I figure the processor is the drain cause all the power enables us to go crazy with heavy use.

I personally am willing to accept a bigger battery if one is manufactured. I believe a 1500mah would help quite a few make it through a work & happy hour before attaching a charger.
    08-25-11 08:54 AM
    Sorry, a typo. Facebook automatic updates are off. Wifi is on.
    Thought so.... I may give this Wifi thing a go though.

I'm down to 60% for the day now. Unplugged at 7am.

Would usually have been at around 35-40% on .317 with lighter usage than today's.
    08-25-11 08:55 AM
    Unplugged at 6am, died at 1pm:
    from 6:30 bluetooth on and streamed 60 minutes podcast to my car stereo, phone usage in app management was 2.5 hours, more the an hour of which browsing, drove for about 120 miles. Not great but not much worse then my 9700. Bloetooth was disconnecting and connecting every time i got out of the car to make a delivery.

08-25-11 09:01 AM
    Thought so.... I may give this Wifi thing a go though.

I'm down to 60% for the day now. Unplugged at 7am.

Would usually have been at around 35-40% on .317 with lighter usage than today's.
    Apparently the Wifi thing has something to do with using less power when browsing or doing data when you're connected than 3g would. I guess when it's not connected to a network, it's not using any data, but when it is, it's saving you a bit.

So I was at 30% left at 8:30am, it's now 2pm and I'm at 10% left, so by the time it dies, it will be over 2 days of moderate use. That's enough for me.
    08-25-11 01:00 PM
    using a wifi connection should use less battery than using a 3G radio. that means connected to a active wifi signal. Your 3G radio should auto shutdown at this point and wifi data would take over
    08-25-11 01:06 PM
    using a wifi connection should use less battery than using a 3G radio. that means connected to a active wifi signal. Your 3G radio should auto shutdown at this point and wifi data would take over
    I meant to say something to that effect, but I am clearly not as versed in the inner workings
    08-25-11 01:07 PM
    I'm finding more than OS or anything else, it's WiFi or no WiFi that's making the big difference on the 9900's battery life.

In WiFi coverage, I can consistently get 23-28 hours between charges... device usage is 3.5 to 5 hours (email, bbm, web browsing, some downloads, apps, etc.). So I'm talking off the charger at 6am, go to bed at midnight, don't charge it, leave it over night, and it still has life through the next morning. In this scenario I'm basically sitting in my condo/office... all data is going through WiFi. Just calls and SMS back through the carrier really.

If I turn off WiFi, and sit in the exact same place (condo/office), the battery dies 50% faster, and with less uage. So basically I can go from 6am to ~7pm, and with only ~2 hours of device usage (even a bit less), I'm running low by early evening. As the battery starts to die out, I can turn WiFi back on, and the battery just lasts and lasts.

I've been doing a lot of digging on this. It seems that all things being equal, the antenna on the Bold 9900 naturally rings in a couple db less strong than any other BB. Which means that all things being equal, the radio on the 9900 is working harder to maintain radio signal. When you use WiFi, you're not working the radio nearly as hard on the network. As soon as you get out of WiFi, that radio is cranking up more. Have some ideas on what's going on here... working to get to the bottom of it.

But the single easiest and biggest test honestly is the WiFi one. If you're in the same office/home environment it's easy to test. Just stay in the same spot, have WiFi on, and watch how long it lasts. Turn off WiFi and watch the battery drop given the same level activity.

When we did our initial Crack Team tests for our 9900 review (and my previous blog post on 9900 battery life), I didn't really take WiFi into account.. that's why all of us (Adam, Bla1ze, my GF) we're all getting really good battery life. We're basically working from our homes/offices and are on WiFi a lot of the day. But last few days I really started experimenting more and find that the battery has a lot tougher time getting through the day if I go on the network only, even if I use the phone less.

Will be doing a follow up post on this soon, but in the meantime, curious to see people's WiFi vs. no WiFi findings. I think it matters a lot more than OS version personally to this point.
    for those of you who didn't read Kevin's post....
    mike22, iN10Se and abuddlah like this.
    08-25-11 01:11 PM
274 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD