I have finally decided to update my blackberry 9900 this week, well im gonna do it for the first time since i bought the device..

my question is i want to perform a backup, not looking for full back up, but i get 3 options like full,quick and custom...

for me the applications doesnt matter, facebook,twitter etc as i will re install it again from app world, what only matters to me is my contact list,sms,bbm contacts .. so what backup option should i choose ? quick or custom ? .. what r the things that are backed up if i choose quick ?

what are the things i have to choose in custom backup if i want to do only sms,contacts,bbm contacts backed up

usually when people backup their device for upgrading their OS, what backup option they prefer ??

thanks
    02-24-12 08:50 AM
    DO NOT do a full backup and restore because some people found it create a lot of problems. Some even claim that it cause the phone to go in to a endless rebooting cycle (nuking I guess).

I did a selected backup with only Calender, Contacts and Browser history. The Browser history also create an issue called Smart Card backup error. So, I would even leave the Browser history out as well.

Do a new email setup and don't bring over email settings from your old phone. I did an email setup on OS 7.0 and I installed OS 7.1 and just installed backed up email settings on to the new system. I end up with this issue where I can send emails, but I can't receive any. I went back in to Email settings, deleted the current email accounts and re registered them. No issues ever since. What I would do is just import email messages, but not the email settings.

Everyone has a different experience on Blackberries so this may not be the case for other users here.

All the best.
    02-24-12 09:15 AM
    So if I do a custom backup,what options should choose in order to backup only contacts,sms and bbm contact list.. ???
    02-24-12 09:21 AM
    Nothing wrong with a FULL backup and restore! I do it all the time and have never had any issues.
    02-24-12 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD