Note: this applies to any device running OS7, not just the 99xx series.

For those of us who like to keep a current backup, and especially for anyone who has a device that seems prone to nuking or even bricking, take a look in your Setup options - not only do we have BlackBerry Protect for the essentials and Desktop Manager for full backups like all BlackBerry owners, with OS7 ALL device data can be backed up to our media cards via Device Switch.

From the next screen, simply choose Using a Media Card, then Save Data. You'll then be presented with the option to save your emails, and be warned of overwriting the previous backup if you already have one. Once you select Continue, you'll need to set a unique password for your backup. Once that's set, select Save. At this point the backup process begins. If you notice the radio turning off, it's only temporary until the backup is complete. Upon completion, you'll be given the option to view the details of the backup or returning to Setup.

Back up anytime, anywhere. Do it often.
    dimm0k, melander and tmord1 like this.
    11-16-11 05:40 AM
    Nice Tip you have there. I don't use Blackberry Protect because you have to disable encryption(un-Protect). But this would be a 2nd way of backing up data I need besides DM. Just used it to backup to my SD card.
    11-16-11 08:49 AM
    Nice Tip you have there. I don't use Blackberry Protect because you have to disable encryption(un-Protect). But this would be a 2nd way of backing up data I need besides DM. Just used it to backup to my SD card.
    What should my fears be if my device is not encrypted?

And to the OP... nice find. I always love multiple ways to back up my device.
    11-16-11 11:33 AM
    Wow, what a great tip. I thought I knew my way around my blackberry, but had no idea about this feature, thanks!
    11-16-11 11:40 AM
    What should my fears be if my device is not encrypted?
    I'm proud to say that I'm near ultra paranoid when it comes to computer bits. When I have to use Windows as a desktop OS, I ensure that UAC is turned all the way up, and even require password prompts even for the Administrators.

For the BB, I enable encryption so that in case my phone is lost, I feel safer that my data would not be stolen as well. Since my phone is allowed to login to my email accounts, that is access that I would not be comfortable if it were in someone else hands. For this reason, I limit what I do in BIS to just work email where the IT policy is less stringent than my personal IT policy.
    11-16-11 09:10 PM
    Is this backup any different than the one BB protect puts on the server?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 09:23 PM
    I have seen that the backup you do using blackberry protect is not as complete as the one using the blackberry desktop software.

This backup is as complete as the one you use with the desktop software?

Also it is important that you backup your contacts of BBM by going to options and then selecting to backup via email or via media card.

I think that the BBM contacts are also backup when you use the desktop software.
    11-16-11 09:34 PM
    Is this backup any different than the one BB protect puts on the server?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackBerry Protect does the "essentials": contacts, calendar, tasks, memos, bookmarks, texts, password keeper, and wifi profiles. The Device Switch backup is a complete device data backup sans 3rd party apps, but may include their data depending on the app. Opera Mini 5 is one of those, for example.

I have seen that the backup you do using blackberry protect is not as complete as the one using the blackberry desktop software.

This backup is as complete as the one you use with the desktop software?

Also it is important that you backup your contacts of BBM by going to options and then selecting to backup via email or via media card.

I think that the BBM contacts are also backup when you use the desktop software.
    BBM will be backed up along with everything else if using Device Switch, just like with Desktop Manager; its purpose is to completely set a user up with their data on a new device without having to use Desktop Manager.
    11-17-11 02:09 AM
    I'm proud to say that I'm near ultra paranoid when it comes to computer bits. When I have to use Windows as a desktop OS, I ensure that UAC is turned all the way up, and even require password prompts even for the Administrators.

For the BB, I enable encryption so that in case my phone is lost, I feel safer that my data would not be stolen as well. Since my phone is allowed to login to my email accounts, that is access that I would not be comfortable if it were in someone else hands. For this reason, I limit what I do in BIS to just work email where the IT policy is less stringent than my personal IT policy.
    If you want to be even more secure, ditch the SD/external card altogether and just use Device Memory for storage. With a password set, no one would be able to access Device Memory without your password - since it's not removeable anyone wanting to access Device Memory would have to plug in the device, and be prompted for the password. Plus if the allotted number of access attempts via password were reached, Device Memory would get wiped along with data. Encryption is optional.
    11-17-11 02:19 AM
    If you want to be even more secure, ditch the SD/external card altogether and just use Device Memory for storage. With a password set, no one would be able to access Device Memory without your password - since it's not removeable anyone wanting to access Device Memory would have to plug in the device, and be prompted for the password. Plus if the allotted number of access attempts via password were reached, Device Memory would get wiped along with data. Encryption is optional.
    The external is encrypted and both this and DM allows backups on the encrypted partition. It's all good thanks.
    11-17-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD