Hi everyone,

I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find a proper - full - answer to this.

Whenever I back up my Bold 9900 (this didn't happen with my previous Storm2) it backs up everything, and then the progress bar freezes at the description:

Backing up Smart Card Options 1 of 1 Record

I then have to wait for over ten minutes (sometimes twenty) for the backup to finish. So my questions are:

1. What are these 'Smart Card Options'? I have never used whatever they are.
    2. Why do they freeze my backup progress?
    3. How do I stop this backing up and freezing my phone?

Thanks!
    10-22-11 08:51 AM
    *Bump* Really? Am I the only one having this problem? It seems ridiculous - I am now very reluctant to back up my phone because it takes so long, which isn't very good.
    10-25-11 05:40 AM
    This is happening to me too and can't find an answer anywhere!!!! It was hooked up to my desktop for an entire hour this morning and never completed. I had to just shut the computer down since I couldn't wait any longer without being late to work, WTF?!?
    This is also the first time on crackberry there is no answer to be found- any only one other person with the problem! HELP! Please, anyone?
    10-25-11 10:12 AM
    WHAT THE F***?!?!

DM is the absolutely bane of my damn life. I have wasted HOURS today trying to sort this. So eventually it triggered in me to specify what to back up, so I went into custom backup and selected everything except 'smart card options', thinking this would solve the problem.

What has happened now?

Exactly the same thing. Except it nowreads:

Backing up Shortcut Settings 1 of 1 Record

Dealing with Desktop Manager/sync/backups are the only times that I hate BlackBerry/RIM and seriously consider leaving.

The phones are excellent.

The software is absolute sh*te.
    10-25-11 10:14 AM
    I haven't played with them, but check out Options > Security > Smart Card...
    There are individual options for each item in there... You can also hit Menu > Help for more info on what the Smart Card is.
    10-25-11 12:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but I have been in there and there are no options there. I haven't created one to be deleted. I just can't get my head round this.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold 9900 wireless device
    10-25-11 02:29 PM
    Does your device back up always finish at some point? It started taking 20-30 min about a week or two ago, but the hour long and still going "Backing up Smart Card Options 1 of 1 Record" today was killin' me...
    I was also not able to cancel out, I hit the button but the bar never stopped moving or shut down. It scares me to disconnect the device and/or force the computer to shut down while the Desktop software is running but what am I gonna do, let it sit there all damn day?!? I NEED my phone!
    So aggravated I tell you
    10-25-11 04:15 PM
    your smart card is your SIM card. try removing it before backups and see if this helps make your backups quicker.
    10-25-11 04:37 PM
    I will try this when I get the chance, but this has never happened before. In all my three years with BlackBerry this problem has only kicked in in the last two to three weeks. I can't see it being the SIM card. If it is, what has triggered this? I'm extremely aggrieved with BlackBerry and RIM in recent weeks, but I'm trying desperately to keep my claws dug in. It seems ridiculous having to wait 30 minutes for my backup (1 hour with the above poster!). Come on RIM, let's have better customer relations/help on your website please.

10-25-11 05:59 PM
    same thing has been happening to me too for weeks now.
    a lot of un-explainable problems have been showing up these days.
    i hope no one is wirelessly transfering bugs into our phones/PC from RIM? just saying.
    11-05-11 08:48 AM
    i am upgrading my 9900 OS to .474 and the same "smart card options" is delaying the default data backup and data restore process. this is so bad RIM. so so bad !!!
    11-05-11 08:51 AM
    Does anyone happen to know if it does this because it gets stuck on backing up the content on my SD card? I read that somewhere.

To all who are having this problem: how much media do you store on your SD card? I personally have 3-4 GB stored on it. Could this be the problem?

Has anyone tried backing up without the SD card in the phone?

Is there any way to tell DM not to back up the SD card? I personally don't need it to be backed up: all my media automatically syncs with my computer anyway...

11-07-11 06:14 PM
    yup, I'm having this issue too.

I will look into the suggestion of doing the backup without the sim, but would that be OK?
    11-07-11 07:51 PM
    Bump!

Oh please, for all the humanoids out there, HELP! lol
    11-08-11 08:19 AM
    Have update from anyone concerning this problem??
    11-10-11 10:50 PM
    still waiting... new OS leaked and I still cannot update! never had this issue before
    11-11-11 06:44 AM
    still waiting... new OS leaked and I still cannot update! never had this issue before
    SAME HERE!!
    11-11-11 01:03 PM
    What is a Smart Card?
    11-11-11 05:58 PM
    When we're trying to a new OS, at the very last stage of backup prior to loading, it says Backing up Smart Card Options and it gets stuck there... Not sure what or why. I've never had this issue before.
    11-12-11 04:24 AM
    anybody with a solution?

ive been living with this problem for the past 2 months.

with no proper answers.

help!
    11-16-11 04:42 AM
    same problem here... i'm stuck on .353 :/
    11-17-11 02:30 PM
    Yes, very annoying. Today I encountered this for first time. I have tried to backup multiple times, removing both MicroSD card and SIM card, yet still hanging. Umm...WTF???!!!
    11-17-11 05:33 PM
    I was able to do one upgrade to 353 and now, I am stuck with the same issue.
    11-17-11 10:56 PM
    I was finally patient enough to wait it out, and it did back up, with both SIM & memory cards in the 9900. It took 1 1/2 hoiurs! It was hung on the Smart Card thing for about an hour and 15 min of this. At the end there was a pop up about something failing to sync, but I can't remember exactly what it was, but something small and, I believe, insignificant, like 1 Address shortcut?

I then went to try and install the .540, but made the mistake of not unchecking 'backup' so it's caught in the loop again! I think tomorrow, now that I have made the backup, I may wipe the whole device and OS away and try a nice clean install of the All Language .540 leak.
    Last edited by Graheem; 11-18-11 at 01:56 PM.
    11-17-11 11:36 PM
    Good idea. I'll wait for that for as long as it takes. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Graheem likes this.
    11-18-11 06:56 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD