Here are some tips to avoid having another bricked blackberry bold 9900 or making it easy to recover your information it is bricked.

1- Don't overcharge your bold 9900 ( a lot of people is reporting that their bold 9900 gets bricked in the middle of the night while they are sleeping, I think this is because the bold overcharges and this causes to brick the phone ) after you see that your phone is charged disconnect it from the charger. Also don't leave it in the night charging because you could end with a bricked phone.
    2- Do backups every day, you can use blackberry protect to do backups daily over the internet, and also do backups with your computer using blackberry desktop manager, and also do constant backups to your BBM contacts via your media card ( go to options inside BBM and select backup contacts )
    3- Buy a media card so that all your pictures are stored in the mini SD card, that way if your phone is bricked you will not loose your pictures. Remember to take a picture when you insert your mini SD card and then select store photos in media card.
    4- If you phone was bricked try to fix it using version .540, some users are reporting this version works to fix the phone.

I will keep updating this thread if I find any info about why the bold bricks itself, with 3 phones in less than 3 weeks I have learned a lot.
    totallygone likes this.
    11-17-11 08:18 PM
    Good tips....
    11-17-11 08:20 PM
    1 - You can't overcharge your phone
    2 - A tad excessive, but sensible
    3 - Sensible again
    4 - If the phone is bricked, then no OS will load... period

Your title is VERY misleading though. These tips will NOT avoid your phone being bricked, but 2 & 3 will make it easier to restore everything to your new device.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 11-17-11 at 09:44 PM.
    Chrisy and emirozmen like this.
    11-17-11 08:27 PM
    1 - You can't overcharge your phone
    2 - A tad excessive, but sensible
    3 - Sensible again
    4 - If the phone is bricked, then no OS will load... period
    apparently the term 'bricked' isnt the right one, but the problem where the red led flashes and the bb wont turn on is somehow fixed when you try load .540 on the 9900...
    11-17-11 08:36 PM
    apparently the term 'bricked' isnt the right one, but the problem where the red led flashes and the bb wont turn on is somehow fixed when you try load .540 on the 9900...
    That would be what we call "nuked"; not to worry, I myself flubbed terms in the past week.
    11-17-11 08:43 PM
    I've read that thread, and I'm with fnord and the timing theory. I believe the OS version is purely coincidental...

I could be wrong, but I don't think reviving your device is related to the latest OS (ie: I don't think RIM added a "fix"). It is more timing when following the steps to bring it back. There is only a very small window for your PC to catch the phone before it reboots.

Keep trying and you might eventually get lucky!
    Chrisy and Fnord like this.
    11-17-11 08:46 PM
    @ The OP.

Nice try - but complete misinformation. You CAN'T overcharge your BB. Backing up is great, but won't help bricking - only a restore to a new phone.

As for points 3/4...nothing whatsoever to do with bricking, nothing.

I'd suggest before you post your suggestions, you read and research the issues in more depth. While most appreciate your help, you're not helping at all...just muddying the waters for people and putting them in harm's way by making them think that your suggestions will alleviate the problem, when in fact - they don't.
    11-17-11 09:08 PM
    I've read that thread, and I'm with fnord and the timing theory. I believe the OS version is purely coincidental...
    guess that's right. however I do have a friends whose 9900 would be nuked or bricked or whatever it is,lol, when he charged it from about 12/15%. He constantly did a battery-sim-sd pull for it to recover.. with 540, he's had no issues, thus far... i do hope rim gives some sort of response to this.. i have a 9930, it did that once, but never again... but this week, battery life is POOR, and all ive done is bbm and fb...
    11-17-11 09:38 PM
    i just bought my bb9930 i put it on the charger the next day it won't work :'( any heeeeeeelp please i don't have insurance on the phone i just paid 500$ for it !!! what should i do ?? i tried everything in google i called rim i did everything !!!! what should i doooo nnowwww ???
    11-18-11 02:20 AM
    I have charged every BlackBerry I ever had overnight with no problems. I think that it is not possible to overcharge a BB. I have a 9900 and have had no problems whatsoever.
    11-18-11 03:34 AM
    It seems to me that people who have bricked / nuked problems will have that problem with multiple devices. See the many threads that state "Bricked my 9900, replaced it, and now bricked the replacement."

So is it an app combination that causes the problem? Or some functional difference in usage? I can't imagine how RIM is working to resolve this problem sincd the majority of 9900s don't have a problem, while some people have the problem multiple times.
    11-18-11 03:46 AM
    I wish I knew the real proportion of 99xx with problems. I have not seen these many threads/posts for any other berry (I have not checked out the other OS7 devices forums).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 04:01 AM
    has anyone had any success recovering the 9930 from the red led nuked/bricked problem where the phone won't reconnect at the Reconnecting to JVM stage of OS reloading. I've noticed there are various posts of users having success with 9900 and OS 540. Has anyone been successful with the 9930 and if possible can you post specifics on how you were able to recover it.
    11-18-11 12:22 PM
    i just bought my bb9930 i put it on the charger the next day it won't work :'( any heeeeeeelp please i don't have insurance on the phone i just paid 500$ for it !!! what should i do ?? i tried everything in google i called rim i did everything !!!! what should i doooo nnowwww ???
    I am sorry to hear that. Try bbsak to wipe the device and reload a newly downloaded OS from OS versions posted at the top of this section of the forum. BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

I hope you resolve the issue. What did RIM say? If you brought the Bold outright from a service provider (carrier), you still have the 1 year manufacture warranty. If you got to it from eBay, then no warranty... sorry.
    11-18-11 12:39 PM
    I have 7 9930's I manage with BES. Mine was the first to brick about a month ago and just had 2 in the last 2 days. Mine was left on the cradle charger overnight and woke to the flashing red light. Same with 1 of the other 2 but haven't heard from the third as of yet. I think we all know the phone doesn't "overcharge" but, when the phone reaches its maximum charge, the OS kicks in to stop the charge and possibly bricks at that moment? Really wish someone knew of a way to unbrick. Will have to give .540 a try next time.
    11-18-11 03:10 PM
    .540 is for the 9900 only. Which is why we have only seen reports of 9900 users being able to revive their phones. will have to wait and see whether this is just coincidence or if there is something more to .540.
    11-18-11 04:18 PM
    I have charged every BlackBerry I ever had overnight with no problems. I think that it is not possible to overcharge a BB. I have a 9900 and have had no problems whatsoever.
    It shouldn't be possible, yet everybody (that I've seen) reporting this particular issue had it occur after leaving the phone to charge overnight, woke up the next morning with a flashing LED. Another common theme is that the battery was dead or almost dead when the charging started. This seems to point to battery or power management problems.

Not charging overnight might work temporarily, but it's not a reasonable permanent solution. People use their phones during the day and charge them at night, it's the way of things
    12-12-11 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD