02-17-12 10:26 PM
36 12
tools
    What does bricking mean?
    02-17-12 10:01 AM
    What does bricking mean?
    Second this.

Just ordered the BB Bold 9930 last night and if I have to worry about how I charge my phone, and change my charging habits from the last however many years of charging my electronics...that seems silly.
    02-17-12 10:27 AM
    I try to keep up in the forums with my bb and playbook, but with the 9930 I almost wish I hadn't. Reading all the bricking stories had me afraid to look at my bb sideways for fear of the deadly red blinking light. After having it for a month (w/no problems) I've finally decided just to enjoy it like I should have been doing. If it "bricks" I guess I'll deal with it then.
    02-17-12 11:04 AM
    I've had my 9900 for at least 3 months now. I always charge at night and don't worry about a timer or anything. Haven't had a problem with it bricking or anything. I'm not really worried about it.

There are quite a few threads where people have the bricking problem, yes. But this is a website where people come for help so you'll get plenty of those threads rather than a lot of ones showing how many people do NOT have this problem.
    02-17-12 01:28 PM
    I too have suffered from this issue. Had my 9900 since UK launch in August '11 and last week woke up to find it bricked after I had charged the nearly depleted battery overnight. I've been doing that since I got it and never had a problem until now. I can deal with the other issues I've been having with this device (i.e. poor battery life, light emitting thru a crack near the micro USB port, browser not connecting to wi-fi when 3G is enabled, device not connecting to wi-fi at all when traveling overseas, device not connecting to any mobile network when traveling to certain countries, refusing to download or install certain compatible apps, etc.), but this unsolvable bricking business is the last straw. After my replacement arrives, I'm selling it and moving on.
    Well said. Me too, I moved back to my iPhone 4s after having 3 different 9900's over a period of time and all the same, battery charging lock down! Regular spinning clock. I have to say that the 9000 system is way slower and unstable. Just NOT acceptable and as a buyer of several sim free 9900's I should not have to search for a leaked update and take a chance. No no no no no way!
    Back to the rock solid 4S.
    Blackberry would have had my business again if t was as smooth as it should have been but no so.
    The truth may hurt some people but get real to the situation.
    jack57 likes this.
    02-17-12 02:02 PM
    Second this.

Just ordered the BB Bold 9930 last night and if I have to worry about how I charge my phone, and change my charging habits from the last however many years of charging my electronics...that seems silly.

It's beyond silly. Borderline neurotic even. If you want to be overly cautious, carefully monitor the behavior of your device for a few days after each app is installed, never adding more than one at a time. By all appearances, RIM does all the vetting at the front end, making it nearly impossible to get started developing for them, but then lets every pos, wonky, phone nuking junk code through after that. Also, there is broad consensus that restoring more than messages and calendar entries from a previous BB will jack you right up. Do all the apps and settings manually. Keep it backed up (BB protect will do it in the background if you are too lazy or stupid like me.) If it has a hardware or OS issue, take it back. Unless you're some social media addicted tweenie, the battery should last all day and then some. Then, kick back and giggle at all the nattering about battery life and bricking, because the entertainment value is staggering if you really think about it.
    02-17-12 03:08 PM
    I'm a BES admin, and this has happened to two of my users, several times. The same two people, and it's happened to both of them more than once, on different units. I mean, what, is it bad wiring in their homes, or a faulty charger? On a 9850 and a 9930, they just wake up in the morning, pick up their phone, then come in to work and find me to replace it for them.

Then I've got several other people whose radio antennas randomly turn themselves off. I'm a very tired BES admin. I'm just waiting for something to happen to my new 9930. Either I'll go to pull the battery one day because I'm low on application memory AGAIN and it will get stuck in a reboot loop, or I'll wake up one morning and my phone won't.

I don't remember when I stopped thinking these devices were reliable, but it seems to me it was a long time ago.
    02-17-12 04:32 PM
    I'm not ignorant, Genius of Geniuses means I'm smart enough to spot obvious trolls like you and ike. Get lost.
    No - it doesn't mean that at all. What it really means, is that you have no life and obviously have nothing better to do here than post troll pictures and attack posters who have relevant issues.

Just because you have 5500 posts here, doesn't mean you actually contribute to the boards in a relevant way, or that you even have a clue as to what you're talking about, or that you have any actual knowledge of the product whatsoever.

It simply means that you have 5500 posts - and they could all be non-contributing and /or not relevant. I haven't bothered to sift through your posts...but I have a feeling I already know what they're about...

Perhaps you might consider joining a dating site....
    36thDisciple likes this.
    02-17-12 04:33 PM
    I'm a BES admin, and this has happened to two of my users, several times. The same two people, and it's happened to both of them more than once, on different units. I mean, what, is it bad wiring in their homes, or a faulty charger? On a 9850 and a 9930, they just wake up in the morning, pick up their phone, then come in to work and find me to replace it for them.

Then I've got several other people whose radio antennas randomly turn themselves off. I'm a very tired BES admin. I'm just waiting for something to happen to my new 9930. Either I'll go to pull the battery one day because I'm low on application memory AGAIN and it will get stuck in a reboot loop, or I'll wake up one morning and my phone won't.

I don't remember when I stopped thinking these devices were reliable, but it seems to me it was a long time ago.
    Maybe 7.0 is inherently fragile and some users are inherently incautious. Who knows. Sometimes the chemistry is wrong. The antenna off trick is a touchscreen oops thing. It was a huge deal on the 9800 board for a while.
    02-17-12 05:12 PM
    i've charged my phone overnight everyday since launch & havent had any bricking issues. *knock on wood
    My first 9900 bricked after a week, and that was in early November. I replaced it with another 9900, and it has worked great since!
    02-17-12 05:25 PM
    Had my 9930 for a week.I Leave it on the charger all night every night. No problems with OS 7.1. *Knocks on wood*
    02-17-12 10:26 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD