02-17-12 11:26 PM
36 12
tools
    i was thinking about a good way to avoid overnight bricking of the issue, i always charge the device on the same place (near my bed), and i always leave the charger plugged all day (i umplugged/plugged the charger from the phone)...
    if i put a timer that cuts the charge in the middle of the night like 2 am, and start again by example at 5 am, i will have the phone charged in the morning (8 am) without leaving the device plugged all night, i think the problem with the 9900 bricking is the longest charge that makes a hardware error...

sounds strange, but i think that rim can send us a timer to try this.....
    02-02-12 04:46 PM
    I was thinking of a timer also. A Blackberry tech rep from Seattle told me not to leave it on the charger overnight. Just charge for an hour or 2 max. So I try to monitor it while I charge , which led me to thinking of a timer. Don't let it get battery charge get to 100% and lave it there for long or you probably will have a problem
    02-02-12 04:57 PM
    yes, sound like a crazy post, but i will try it , and set up just a couple of hours of charging before i wake up....
    02-02-12 05:02 PM
    That seems like so much work for a problem that only happens to a few phones for some unknown reason.

I've had my phone since October and I've charged it every night without going through some routine, and I havent had any problems.

It seems like its random to me. And with the new OS 7.1 release, there haven't been any new posts about this problem.
    02-02-12 05:05 PM
    i've charged my phone overnight everyday since launch & havent had any bricking issues. *knock on wood
    02-02-12 05:52 PM
    Mine is plugged in for probably 6 hours while I'm using my playbook. Granted It's kind of using it while plugged in.
    02-02-12 05:56 PM
    Wow! A timer? You guys amuse me. Seriously! If you can't just plug your phone in without worrying, then why do you have it?
    FBA, Kaenon, redneck6497 and 2 others like this.
    02-02-12 06:03 PM
    No issues here, mines plugged in all night, every night.
    02-02-12 06:14 PM
    I only have is problem once wheb I first got it, but after I upated the os, I have no problem doing it every night and its been 2 weeks already...

It was stop charging and over heat for the phone for the first night but everything solve...
    02-02-12 06:39 PM
    I had mine for 6 days as of this morning and when I went to remove it off of the charger (I leave mine plugged in all night), the clock was very bright and after removing the USB cable it stayed on the clock. The device was frozen in this state. Took out the battery and put it back in. Dead. No red LED when putting in the battery. Nothing. Did this several times like WTF. Brought it to work to go to ATT for a replacement device. When I got to ATT the rep put the battery in and it turned on. I looked like a fool. Couldn't return as the manager wasn't in so I kept it and have since updated to 7.1(205). Will give this a whirl. Just posting as the charging thing makes me wonder. Will charge tonight before bed and then take it off the charger and shut it down and see. Still have 24 days to return.
    02-02-12 07:23 PM
    Twirling around 3 times and mumbling "don't brick" works well too. You guys are really reaching! buy insurance abd forget that any issue exists.
    pcgizmo#IM likes this.
    02-02-12 08:31 PM
    It seems like its random to me. And with the new OS 7.1 release, there haven't been any new posts about this problem.
    There are plenty of reports of devices with 7.1 bricking. 7.1 has not been positioned as the cure, nor is it the cure.
    02-02-12 10:01 PM
    Wow! A timer? You guys amuse me. Seriously! If you can't just plug your phone in without worrying, then why do you have it?
    Because some people are just ummmmm -well I won't say it - but you get my drift...
    02-02-12 10:13 PM
    Mine bricked in the middle of the afternoon 5 months after getting it running 7.1
    02-02-12 10:16 PM
    RIM does not care about this issue, they are more worried trying to save the company.

If RIM cares about this issue they have already released a fix for this issue.

They can release a software update that does exactly what you say but automatically.

The code of software to do this is easy, it only needs to make sure that the phone is full to shutdown the power it gets from the charger.

If that is too difficult ( I don't think so ) then they will have to redesign the phone charger.

I remember that Apple changes all the iphone chargers because they could burn, you could go to any phone carrier or apple store to receive a new charger for the iphone.

This is the main difference between Apple and RiM, Apple cares about their customers by replacing phone chargers, or by releasing software fixes all time when they know about an issue, but RIM does not do anything when they found a bug.

If RIM does not change all this they will be dead soon.

With Apple you could send a mail, call a phone, or chat to report issues with your iphone, with RIM there is no way to contact them about any issue.

They try to hide all issues and they don't want to receive messages or calls from people.
    jcp007, Yaceka and FrankieX like this.
    02-03-12 07:17 AM
    Lately I've been lucky that my phone wants its charge in the afternoon, so I can monitor it while it's charging. With all this bricking talk, I'm terrified to even look at my phone the wrong way.
    02-03-12 11:40 AM
    What is BRICKING? What does the screen look like when it BRICKS??

As you can tell I don't have a issue i just want to know what you all are seeing.
    02-03-12 01:46 PM
    RIM does not care about this issue, they are more worried trying to save the company.

They can release a software update that does exactly what you say but automatically.

The code of software to do this is easy, it only needs to make sure that the phone is full to shutdown the power it gets from the charger.

If that is too difficult ( I don't think so ) then they will have to redesign the phone charger.

I remember that Apple changes all the iphone chargers because they could burn, you could go to any phone carrier or apple store to receive a new charger for the iphone.

This is the main difference between Apple and RiM, Apple cares about their customers by replacing phone chargers, or by releasing software fixes all time when they know about an issue, but RIM does not do anything when they found a bug.

With Apple you could send a mail, call a phone, or chat to report issues with your iphone, with RIM there is no way to contact them about any issue.

They try to hide all issues and they don't want to receive messages or calls from people.
    I can't comment about Apple and the charger issue - since I'm not aware, but some of the things you say are indeed true.

RIM is impossible to contact if you're not a corporate client with a contract, unless your carrier moves the issue to a level 2 support agent (RIM). Apple can be contacted directly, which certainly makes communications much easier.

I always thought RIM's support model was a nasty user experience at best...

RIM needs to adopt a non-telco type attitude. They've been playing with the telco's so long, they've completely forgotten who the real clients actually are, and how to treat them. The clients aren't the carriers, they are US...the end users, who will make or break the company in the end.

RIM is also way too hush-hush in disclosing issues with their products...and they are slow to adopt better client care.

I'm not 100% sure the bricking issue is totally software related on the 9900...because they certainly have enough hardware failures documented to have addressed the issue by now. It's been years that this has been an issue on their phones, but seemingly worse on the 9900. I think it's partly hardware as well, which may be why we're not seeing a fix. That hypothetically being the case, they should have issued a recall, or made it easy for the client to exchange the units they know can brick, and they certainly do know which ones they are.
    02-03-12 02:45 PM

02-03-12 08:45 PM
    "http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/obvious-troll.jpg]Click to view quoted image"

How can a so called "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses" be so ignorant? So many 9900 users have been complaining about this issue and that is obviously a FACT that RIM fails to respond to users' complaints.
    Last edited by BUSPBP; 02-04-12 at 10:39 PM.
    02-03-12 09:40 PM
    I actually took the risk and let my 9930 battery go to about 5% and plugged it into the charger at the bedside..and the next morning I was glad to see that it wasn't a brick! I was always worried to do that, but thought I would test it out..thankfully, all was good!
    02-03-12 11:34 PM
    How come a so called "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses" be so ignorant? So many 9900 users have been complaining about this issue and that is obviously a FACT that RIM fails to respond to users' complaints.
    I too have suffered from this issue. Had my 9900 since UK launch in August '11 and last week woke up to find it bricked after I had charged the nearly depleted battery overnight. I've been doing that since I got it and never had a problem until now. I can deal with the other issues I've been having with this device (i.e. poor battery life, light emitting thru a crack near the micro USB port, browser not connecting to wi-fi when 3G is enabled, device not connecting to wi-fi at all when traveling overseas, device not connecting to any mobile network when traveling to certain countries, refusing to download or install certain compatible apps, etc.), but this unsolvable bricking business is the last straw. After my replacement arrives, I'm selling it and moving on.
    02-04-12 02:38 AM
    How sad is it that owners are having to use a timer to keep their devices from bricking while charging.

Just use it, keep good back ups and return you device over and over when it bricks. ATT replace one of ours three times. When it bricked again, my employee just got tired of the whole thing and went back to the 4s
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-17-12 at 12:57 PM.
    02-04-12 07:24 AM
    How can a so called "CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses" be so ignorant? So many 9900 users have been complaining about this issue and that is obviously a FACT that RIM fails to respond to users' complaints.
    I'm not ignorant, Genius of Geniuses means I'm smart enough to spot obvious trolls like you and ike. Get lost.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 02-17-12 at 10:37 AM.
    02-17-12 10:23 AM

Apple releasing software fixes? Go look up how long it took to fix the Alarm clock bug or the battery drain issue after updating to specific iOS versions.

It's not impossible to contact RIM... you just have to pay because carriers are the incompetent pompus pricks standing in between you getting your issue to RIM since they pay the fee when you go through them.
    02-17-12 10:33 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD