I just got the OEM charging cradle for my 9900 and have a few questions. I tried googling around for the answers and was surprised I couldn't dig them up anywhere.

1. It appears the OEM 9900 charging cradle is not considered a "Smart Accessory" by RIM as I still just see "empty" in Smart Accessories when I drop in the device. Despite this, I do see some unique behavior when the BBery is in the cradle; for example when I call it automatically goes into speaker phone mode and, strangely, disables options like "Add Participant". Clearly at some level the device knows that it's plugged into a dock. So my first question is: Is there any way to assign certain functions to the BBery when it's docked (or even just plugged in in general). For example I'd like to automatically switch on Wi-Fi and potentially blue tooth when it's docked and have them automatically turn off when it's unplugged. It might also be nice to automatically switch to a certain profile when plugged in.

2. Someone else asked this before but I didn't see an answer. Unfortunately it appears that even when the charging cradle is plugged into a PC there's no concept of synching or data transfer via the cradle. Would it be possible to have the phone both charging in the cradle AND plugged into my PC via the USB port simultaneously? The risk I'd see would be that the device would attempt to draw power from both the bottom charging contacts and the USB port. I'd hope RIM would be smart enough to handle this gracefully but I'm not about to risk my 9900 to find out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with these questions.
    Last edited by FullSpectrum; 01-08-12 at 05:29 PM.
    01-08-12 05:17 PM
    Perhaps place a NFC tag near or on the cradle.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk of course.
    01-08-12 05:57 PM
    You cannot use data trandsfer with the dock. It's chargng only.
    01-08-12 06:04 PM
    Yup use one of those usb cradles from ebay. But the downside is it plugs into ur usb so then besides being a stand it not much different. Or get a bb 9790 woth the usb at the bottom
    01-08-12 07:22 PM
    If you want to turn on wifi automatically find an app in app world, I forget what it's called but it basically uses your cell tower location to control automatic wifi on/off. I use to use it in areas of bad/no reception but I don't need to anymore.
    01-08-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I am amazed, it seems there's no way to simply tell the berry that any time it's receiving power from an external source (ie anything other than the battery) that it should turn on Wi-Fi and/or switch to a different profile? I'd have thought this would be built in or at least easily achievable with an app.
    01-08-12 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I am amazed, it seems there's no way to simply tell the berry that any time it's receiving power from an external source (ie anything other than the battery) that it should turn on Wi-Fi and/or switch to a different profile? I'd have thought this would be built in or at least easily achievable with an app.
    NFC Tag.

10 Characters.
    01-10-12 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD