Hey everyone,

Just yesterday, my 9900 started having an issue with the auto-dimming.

I've always had the "Automatically Dim Backlight" feature off (unchecked). Just yesterday night though I was finding my screen really dark. I thought it was the "Backlight Brightness", but it hadn't changed. Then today it was working on and off. A bit of research and it seemed like the dimming feature. If I put it directly under a lamp, it will get brighter. Turn off the lamp, it dims.

Any ideas? Like I said, I still have auto-dimming off.
    07-08-12 07:57 PM
    Did you check your settings under. Battery Saver Mode. Maybe checked always on.
    07-08-12 08:05 PM
    Did not know about this mode. But just checked and it's set for 20%. Not "always on".
    07-08-12 09:05 PM
    From what I have discovered, with auto-dimming off, the dimming effect still occurs, just to a lesser effect. However, with it on, the range of brightness that the phone will cycle through is much greater, on both the dim and bright ends. I've found that my phone dims the most in a pitch black room with Auto-Dimming on and at 10%
    07-08-12 09:06 PM
    I think i have an idea what it was, but not 100% sure.

First off, i did another battery pull reboot and it seems to be back to normal. This was my third time since the issue, so i wasn't expecting anything, but figured i'd try again in the morning.

First thing i noticed was that the default screen brightness was 70. The first time i picked up my phone, i changed it to 10. So i'd been assuming it was still at that level this whole time. Guess not.

But regardless, even before the pull this morning, i was switching between 10 and 100, and the brightest still seemed dark with the dimming. This goes back to the dimming working even with it behind unchecked.

Long story short: my 9900 is back to normal. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!

-written on my playbook
    07-09-12 09:50 PM
    Personally. I've noticed in my later berries (as in-- post 9700) that this feature is inconsistent at best. My 9700 and my previous berries all kept the setting-- the auto dim stayed off if you told it to. Since then I've used multiple units of the models 9780, 9360, 9790, 9900, Torch, and Torch II. They've all had a mind of their own( when it comes to that feature) I have to assume it has to do with the OS past a certain point.
    07-09-12 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD