Has anyone found a non-BlackBerry charger that will charge the 9900?

I had a Kingston adapter with a USB plug in, worked great on the 9300 Curve, won't charge the 9900.
    Just walked into Future Shop and bought a Monster adapter, 2 USB ports ... tried it as soon as I got out to the car ... went and returned it right away.

I'd rather not buy the BB one if I can help it (more $$ and bigger than others).

Anyone?
    01-15-12 11:23 AM
    My Vzw car charger works great. It's a generic make standard micro usb connector. Solid as a rock.
    01-15-12 11:41 AM
    I have some $2 pos I got on ebay. Works fine. Not that I use it much, my battery lasts all day and then some.
    01-15-12 12:57 PM
    I use Rocketfish. It works fine.
    01-15-12 01:05 PM
    Has anyone found a non-BlackBerry charger that will charge the 9900?

I had a Kingston adapter with a USB plug in, worked great on the 9300 Curve, won't charge the 9900.
    Just walked into Future Shop and bought a Monster adapter, 2 USB ports ... tried it as soon as I got out to the car ... went and returned it right away.

I'd rather not buy the BB one if I can help it (more $$ and bigger than others).

Anyone?
    Are you using a charge cable with it or regular USB cable? You probably need a charge cable to use USB port power sources if they are not a PC or BlackBerry charge block.

If you have a spare usb cable you could convert it to a charge cable. It is pretty easy to do. The two thin data lines are shorted on the phone end and open at the usb power source end.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-15-12 at 01:27 PM.
    01-15-12 01:24 PM
    01-15-12 04:39 PM
    Are you using a charge cable with it or regular USB cable? You probably need a charge cable to use USB port power sources if they are not a PC or BlackBerry charge block.

If you have a spare usb cable you could convert it to a charge cable. It is pretty easy to do. The two thin data lines are shorted on the phone end and open at the usb power source end.
    Robsteve,

This is such a struggle!

I have gone through a half dozen chargers trying to find one that works in my car. I have one that works (says "Inspire" on it) that works with any cable I tried. I don't like it since it is so big and smells like it will catch fire, so I have been trying to use one like the Griffin, which I own two of but neither works with my phone (again, any cable). I've also bought and returned others that claim to work with the 9930. Of course, they all worked with the 9650. I would really like a small one.

I assume that any cable that works in a wall charger, should work in a car USB charger, right? If not, and the cable somehow matters for some chargers but not others, can you please tell me how I identify a USB cable as a "charging cable"? Could you point me to instructions on how to create one or buy one? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    01-19-12 06:23 PM
    I've used Motorola car chargers with my BlackBerry's for years. CrackBerry store sells them, but I usually get them on eBay for <$10 including shipping.
    01-19-12 07:02 PM
    Robsteve,

This is such a struggle!

I have gone through a half dozen chargers trying to find one that works in my car. I have one that works (says "Inspire" on it) that works with any cable I tried. I don't like it since it is so big and smells like it will catch fire, so I have been trying to use one like the Griffin, which I own two of but neither works with my phone (again, any cable). I've also bought and returned others that claim to work with the 9930. Of course, they all worked with the 9650. I would really like a small one.

I assume that any cable that works in a wall charger, should work in a car USB charger, right? If not, and the cable somehow matters for some chargers but not others, can you please tell me how I identify a USB cable as a "charging cable"? Could you point me to instructions on how to create one or buy one? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    I don't know if the charge only cables are labled on the cable itself, maybe just on the packaging. If you are in the USA AT&T sells them at their stores for about $10 or you could search on Ebay for charge only.

One way to tell if it is a charge cable is it should charge with your car adapter The other way is if a charge cable is plugged into a PC usb port, not data connection will be made, so you Blackberry will not show up on the desktop/file manger on the PC, but the phone will show it is charging.
    01-19-12 07:06 PM
    No need for a special charge cable. I've been using an old motorola charger with a mini to micro usb adapter. Its 5 years old and charges my 9930 just fine in the car. I just got my proclip mount with built in charger and that works perfectly also.
    01-19-12 07:28 PM
    No need for a special charge cable. I've been using an old motorola charger with a mini to micro usb adapter. Its 5 years old and charges my 9930 just fine in the car. I just got my proclip mount with built in charger and that works perfectly also.
    Yeah, I considered purchasing a mini to micro USB adapter for my old Moto car charger, but it pretty much cost me the same to get a whole new microUSB charger when BlackBerry's switched over a few years ago. I'm glad microUSB seems to be the new standard; I've been using the same car charger for my last 5 BlackBerry's now.
    01-19-12 07:30 PM
    The AT&T cable has a small piece of tape (like a flag) on it that says

micro-usb - 03688 --- on one side

and

Charging only cable - Made in China and off to the side 132 ------ on the other side

$10.
    mzman likes this.
    01-19-12 08:51 PM
    Hi everybody,

I had an idea, why not ask RIM to introduce auto-charge for the next release. I mean it exists whith part a few things like watches. When I move its's save or charge battery. Why not on a BBY ?
    It's perhaps the next secret of OSx which will enable RIM's 85% of the Market Place ^^
    Or a liitle curve that man has to manually turn to launch an SOS Call if lost in the middle of "Cantal" (it's a French wild region).

J.
    01-20-12 12:30 AM
    Just order an OEM charger. I have been using the same one on my last three or four berries.
    01-20-12 06:16 AM
    Yeah, I considered purchasing a mini to micro USB adapter for my old Moto car charger, but it pretty much cost me the same to get a whole new microUSB charger when BlackBerry's switched over a few years ago. I'm glad microUSB seems to be the new standard; I've been using the same car charger for my last 5 BlackBerry's now.
    Then you must have been looking at the wrong adapter. The moto adapter is $.99 on Amazon - I bought 5 for all the old miniusb cables I have laying around. They all work perfectly.
    01-20-12 08:11 AM
    This isn't true. I just bought an adapter yesterday, plugged it into a mini-USB cable on one end (with car charger), and my phone on the other. No dice. The adapter claims to transmit data. I think that's the problem.

I'll try an AT&T store.
    01-20-12 09:56 AM
    I have a solution for the problem and it is a charging cable or a power source that makes the 9900 think it is on a charge cable. I have a trip coming up in March with lots of time in the car with the kids and the Playbooks. I saw this adapter on Ebay and figured for $7 it was worth a try. It has two ports, one for an iPad and I assume the second for a Galaxy Tab. The iPad port puts out the most current and worked well with the PlayBook when used with a charge cable.

When I got home tonight and had access to a normal USB cable, I gave it a try with the 9900. Using the USB cable that shipped with my 9900, the upper iPad socket gave the insufficient power to charge error on the 9900, the lower P1000 labeled socket worked with the 9900. Using a charge cable, either socket worked. I would assume the P1000 socket has something connected to the data lines to tell the 9900 it is a charging cable, the iPad socket must not.

Moral of the story, either get this adapter or get a charge cable and use your existing adapters.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-20-12 at 05:41 PM.
    01-20-12 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD