There's so many posts about this... it's not a memory leak unless it consistently drops to the point where there is no more memory. There's a difference between a memory hog and a leak, as well as memory being used to cache/etc.
    09-28-11 08:13 AM
    Ok.. And when you reboot the device all your rss feeds are blank. Did you run the device without it for a while to see if that stop the application memory drop ?

- has anyone run the device long enough that it actually runs out of memory ?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    No, I ran witout it for a while to see if it affected the battery much, and it does a bit but Social Feeds is an amazing app, I couldn't do without it now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 08:13 AM
    Might try remove it, just to see if it makes any difference.

I understand that the blackberry will use memory and unless it runs out it is nothing to worry about, but this is the Application Storage not RAM that is dropping all the time.

09-28-11 12:39 PM
    Might try remove it, just to see if it makes any difference.

I understand that the blackberry will use memory and unless it runs out it is nothing to worry about, but this is the Application Storage not RAM that is dropping all the time.

It's used for more then just applications, all emails, sms, browser/facebook/twitter/maps cache, bbm conversations etc etc
    09-28-11 04:26 PM
    It's used for more then just applications, all emails, sms, browser/facebook/twitter/maps cache, bbm conversations etc etc

Yeh but when you go to bed with 201 megs .. Plug the device in to charge and in the morning you have 189 or so ... 10 megs for emails and cache for twitter. Seems like it excessive usage of app memory.

Just wondering what's your at after your reboot and again after 48 hours ?

09-28-11 04:47 PM
    Interesting .. I do have bbm installed and I'm also on bes and bis .. I have some of the apps you have including shazam. Which shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if it might be bbm or the bes connection. I see a new beta version in blackberry beta zone for bbm might try that. Also if you wouldn't mind can you try this on your bb.

1. Change 3g / 2g - to 2g only
    2. Do you still have bis connection / internet access ?

Vodafone irl seem to have a problem with this.
    i can see you're running the BIS & BES at the same time yea? sometimes the enterprise mode on BES takes up some apps memory due to its security measure. changing from dual mode to 2G will only change the way your BB connects to the network.

however, you may try this (i've applied that since using the BB6 and now with my 9900):
    - social feeds: no need to do the auto refresh for the feed, you'd better refresh it just when you open up the app, that could save some memory

- universal search indexing: yeaah.. this one, the more apps you install, the more data you put, the larger the indexing scope which also takes up some of your memory away. on your homescreen, tap the universal search icon, then press the menu button --> "search options" --> just TICK away the menu/app you need, and leave the rest UNTICKED --> press menu button to SAVE.

- recent contact activities: this one as well, as of the BB6/7, the contacts app keeps logging up your calls/SMS/BBMs/FB chat etc with your contacts, sometimes it helps you to keep track of what activities you've done with your contacts, BUT sometimes it also takes away your app storage memory, therefore, on your homescreen, tap the contact icon --> press the menu button --> options --> recent activities --> UNTICK whatever is NOT necessary for you --> press the menu button to save.

- once you've done those 2 steps above, perform a hard reboot for 10-15 seconds to ensure all settings saved and use your phone like usual. it will run faster somehow, coz.. yeah, less indexing!

- don't leave any apps running on the background by pressing the end call button if you don't use it, instead, make sure it's properly close. that not only helps you to conserve your battery but also conserve your app memory as well
    09-28-11 05:12 PM
    i can see you're running the BIS & BES at the same time yea? sometimes the enterprise mode on BES takes up some apps memory due to its security measure. changing from dual mode to 2G will only change the way your BB connects to the network.

however, you may try this (i've applied that since using the BB6 and now with my 9900):

- social feeds: no need to do the auto refresh for the feed, you'd better refresh it just when you open up the app, that could save some memory

- universal search indexing: yeaah.. this one, the more apps you install, the more data you put, the larger the indexing scope which also takes up some of your memory away. on your homescreen, tap the universal search icon, then press the menu button --> "search options" --> just TICK away the menu/app you need, and leave the rest UNTICKED --> press menu button to SAVE.

- recent contact activities: this one as well, as of the BB6/7, the contacts app keeps logging up your calls/SMS/BBMs/FB chat etc with your contacts, sometimes it helps you to keep track of what activities you've done with your contacts, BUT sometimes it also takes away your app storage memory, therefore, on your homescreen, tap the contact icon --> press the menu button --> options --> recent activities --> UNTICK whatever is NOT necessary for you --> press the menu button to save.

- once you've done those 2 steps above, perform a hard reboot for 10-15 seconds to ensure all settings saved and use your phone like usual. it will run faster somehow, coz.. yeah, less indexing!

- don't leave any apps running on the background by pressing the end call button if you don't use it, instead, make sure it's properly close. that not only helps you to conserve your battery but also conserve your app memory as well

Ok cool done that .. So let's see how I get on over the next few days. Keep posting ideas and I will test them.

Thanks for your help

09-28-11 05:26 PM
    I don't know if Alan got a response to the other question he was asking, but I've never in all my experience with this phone have had Application Memory drop "too low". Sure it does drop a bit after a reboot, but it isn't in free fall, there seems to be some logic running to keep it within normal parameters, whatever they may be. I haven't had any low memory situations, and this was before I started shrinking my OS's. My advice? TRY and run out of memory, I dare you Leave it on for a week, a month even.
    09-29-11 01:10 PM
    I don't know if Alan got a response to the other question he was asking, but I've never in all my experience with this phone have had Application Memory drop "too low". Sure it does drop a bit after a reboot, but it isn't in free fall, there seems to be some logic running to keep it within normal parameters, whatever they may be. I haven't had any low memory situations, and this was before I started shrinking my OS's. My advice? TRY and run out of memory, I dare you Leave it on for a week, a month even.
    FINALLY someone with some sense! It's a shame people reboot their devices just to reclaim memory... memory is there to be used!
    09-29-11 01:20 PM
    In low memory you start seeing lots of spinning clocks. If you don't mind those, good for you.

The browser leaks memory. I posted a screenshot of the application management screen showing it was using 200mb. Application storage dropped to 60mb and the phone was slow. A reboot fixes this, but it's a problem.

09-29-11 01:31 PM
    In low memory you start seeing lots of spinning clocks. If you don't mind those, good for you.

The browser leaks memory. I posted a screenshot of the application management screen showing it was using 200mb. Application storage dropped to 60mb and the phone was slow. A reboot fixes this, but it's a problem.

I'm testing this now , I just updated to the latest version of fb so I had to do a reboot. Will post back my results after a day or so.

As for the memory for the browser I don't think I have seen it go above 30 - 40 megs and it usually drops back after a few minutes but will keep an eye on it.

When the device drops to about 160 or so when you open up your email where it would normally open straight away you get the timer for a second... This to me is not normal as it doesn't do it after a clean reboot of the device.

This is the current device memory. Let's see after a few days of use.

If anyone else could post results of the device running after say 2 - 3 days to that would be brill just for a comparison.

Thanks to all

09-29-11 05:01 PM
    I'm tired of arguing about this.
    09-29-11 06:28 PM
    Nobody is arguing

You said the browser leaks memory, it doesn't... it uses memory, and that's natural.

Clear your browser history and cache when you're done, and that memory returns.
    09-29-11 06:44 PM
    After 6 days, 9 hours I'm sitting at 169.4MB free with a "loss" of 48.9MB.

09-29-11 06:51 PM
    Nobody is arguing

You said the browser leaks memory, it doesn't... it uses memory, and that's natural.

Clear your browser history and cache when you're done, and that memory returns.
    No, this has nothing to do with browser history and cache. Clearing those was the first thing I tried.

09-29-11 07:10 PM
    No, this has nothing to do with browser history and cache. Clearing those was the first thing I tried.

So what's your memory readings and length of uptime? Does the device report the browser memory constantly growing? Mine has ballooned out at roughly 112MB.

09-29-11 07:14 PM
    So what's your memory readings and length of uptime? Does the device report the browser memory constantly growing? Mine has ballooned out at roughly 112MB.

You should view this page on the full site. You'll see the screen capture.

I easily get to those numbers through the day.

09-29-11 07:19 PM
    You should view this page on the full site. You'll see the screen capture.

I easily get to those numbers through the day.

Sorry, didn't see that. If you look at the screen cap however, your max was 200MB with now, today and yesterday all average around 145MB. So at some time the browser used up 200MB and is back down to 145MB. Doesn't sound like a problem to me since the memory used is considerably lower than the max.
    09-29-11 07:27 PM
    Sorry, didn't see that. If you look at the screen cap however, your max was 200MB with now, today and yesterday all average around 145MB. So at some time the browser used up 200MB and is back down to 145MB. Doesn't sound like a problem to me since the memory used is considerably lower than the max.
    Here's the current memory snapshot at 174mb, you'll have to view the full page to see the attachment:
    09-29-11 07:43 PM
    Here's the current memory snapshot at 174mb, you'll have to view the full page to see the attachment:
    Just curious, what OS are you running? I'm running .362 and while I probably don't use the web browser as heavily as you (most "tabs" I have at any time is around 4), I'm at 6 days and I guess I'll see how far I can go before I either crash or the spinning clocks show up and annoy me. I do remember with OS5 that there was an instance where I had dropped around 60MB and after getting a really long period of the spinning clock, 40MB was reclaimed. This was over the course of a couple of days...
    09-29-11 08:02 PM
    Just curious, what OS are you running? I'm running .362 and while I probably don't use the web browser as heavily as you (most "tabs" I have at any time is around 4), I'm at 6 days and I guess I'll see how far I can go before I either crash or the spinning clocks show up and annoy me. I do remember with OS5 that there was an instance where I had dropped around 60MB and after getting a really long period of the spinning clock, 40MB was reclaimed. This was over the course of a couple of days...
    I'm running 353.

I'm using lots of tabs, usually opening links from Twitter, each in a new tab. I'm pretty sure the browser memory leaks is due to opening and closing of tabs throughout the day.

09-29-11 08:21 PM
    I'm running 353.

I'm using lots of tabs, usually opening links from Twitter, each in a new tab. I'm pretty sure the browser memory leaks is due to opening and closing of tabs throughout the day.

After 24 hours or less down from 200 megs to 177megs.

Normal usage no web browsing just email really.

09-30-11 12:27 PM
    Social feeds was def the culprit, went from 200 to 150 in less then a day, deleted it and it has staid the same, no more leaks.

10-01-11 01:19 AM
    Hmm, I even saw the memory go up by a bit now since deleting social feeds, I wonder if it's the social feeds or just the rss part. Depending on the feed it can download text and pictures, engadget for example.

10-01-11 03:07 AM
    it is true that blackberry doesn't need antivirus application, but in this upcoming technology every day new viruses emerging, which can create great damage to the devises, so its always better to install an antivirus to keep the devices safe and the users information
    Not sure what, if anything, this has to do with app memory leaks

Anyway, BlackBerries are about as secure as you can get, so antivirus is unnecessary.

10-01-11 06:11 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD