Hi All, I am suddenly receiving each morning a pop up window on my phone for the APP of the Day ? The only button on it is to Download. It totally locks on this screen and cannot be cancelled ?

Anyone else see this and have a remedy ? I cant seem to find where its coming from...

Cheers,
    heavy
    andy957 likes this.
    09-04-12 12:01 PM
    delete all of your apps then re-install them one by one. When the message comes back there's your problem app. I haven't heard of that but I don't install apps that aren't by RIM or a big developer.
    09-04-12 12:11 PM
    Hi All, I am suddenly receiving each morning a pop up window on my phone for the APP of the Day ? The only button on it is to Download. It totally locks on this screen and cannot be cancelled ?

Anyone else see this and have a remedy ? I cant seem to find where its coming from...

Cheers,
    heavy
    Something similar is happening to me, but they are messages in my inbox from App World. I just posted this post, in fact, because I'm getting the same thing on my Virgin Mobile 9790. Have you been able to find out anything? Virgin tech support said they didn't have a clue how to prevent them. Thanks.
    Last edited by andy957; 09-04-12 at 04:25 PM.
    jegs2 likes this.
    09-04-12 04:20 PM
    Heavy, I get these from time to time and yes they're a PITA. I suspect they're coming from App World or a vendor I bought from through App World but don't know that for sure nor do I have a clue how to stop them. I get the email notices from App World which is fine and in fact appreciated.
    09-04-12 06:00 PM
    Thanks guys, I deletede the last App I had downloaded and the problem went away !! I am not a big App user on my phone so it was easy to narrow down.

Anyway, thanks to all

Cheers,
    heavy

oh yeah...btw....the App giving me the grief was Dual camera.
    09-05-12 10:49 AM
    Same here... I haven't added any new apps, but have updated a couple in that time frame, but not sure which ones they were... may have been "DriveSafe.ly" but not sure since I do updates on the fly...
    09-05-12 05:48 PM
    I think this is a new feature of App World. A way to generate sales. Although it's annoying I have not had any issues with it locking my phone. I hit the download button and as soon as it starts going to App World I hit the escape button to bring me back to the home screen.
    09-06-12 04:38 AM
    I have the same issue. And it didnt start until I install Dual Camera (Trial version)...

Deleting the app now.. Will update if still having issue in the morning.
    09-06-12 09:18 AM
    Same here... I haven't added any new apps, but have updated a couple in that time frame, but not sure which ones they were... may have been "DriveSafe.ly" but not sure since I do updates on the fly...
    BTW... it did seem to mess with my automatic overnight reboot...
    09-06-12 04:03 PM
    Options > Third Party Applications > Personalisation & Privacy for App World > Collection of Usage Data = Disabled > Apply This Setting to All Applications = check

No more ad pop-ups
    09-06-12 04:18 PM
    Hey Phill, thanks for the suggestion but my setting was already set to "Disabled", yet I'm getting at least 2 "Featured App" emails on my 9790 each day. But this only happens on my Virgin Mobile 9790, so I think it has to be carrier-specific.
    09-06-12 05:18 PM
    BTW... it did seem to mess with my automatic overnight reboot...
    Today's Popup Ad was for one of "Parachute's" products, so it may well be coming from Dual camera...
    09-07-12 05:47 PM
    Options > Third Party Applications > Personalisation & Privacy for App World > Collection of Usage Data = Disabled > Apply This Setting to All Applications = check

No more ad pop-ups
    Phil beat me to the post. This will stop them.
    09-07-12 06:02 PM
    Thanks Phil, I'll give that a try, I got another one of these bleeping pop ups this morning. I'm hoping this will indeed fix the problem.
    09-07-12 06:43 PM
    I had my third party apps permissions set as suggested, and I still got a pop-up add similar to those mentioned. But with mine, it also turned on a quickly flashing pure white LED Flash. It was not from App World. It was an ad from a �Free app� that said in the fine print that I would receive ads on this free version, upgrade to end this etc. I deleted this one app (ironically a spam filter that did not really work anyway) and the pop-up ads stopped.
    09-08-12 01:40 PM
    On Virgin Mobile here and no pop ups! You sure its not a rogue app?
    09-08-12 02:01 PM
    There are apps from a smaller dev, can't recall which one, that caused the problem for me. If Phill's suggestion to change settings doesn't work then the best solution was the first one posted. Reinstall the operating system without any apps and install one at a time until you experience the problem. For sure it's from a small dev of free apps.

Actually if you search app world after for the name of the apps that are suggested and then look at the list of apps by that dev, you'll find one of those is already installed on your berry. Delete it.
    09-08-12 06:32 PM
    Hey, Phill--if you're still reading this thread, do you know how I would go about making the OS remember the permissions I've set? I'm not talking about prompt vs. deny, but the check boxes that show up whenever an app launches.

For example, I have this battery app and all the Connections permissions are set to deny. But whenever the app gets launched, it asks me for connectivity permission(s). How do I make the OS remember that I've unchecked the boxes and don't want to be asked again (see attachment)?
    09-09-12 03:09 AM

No more ad pop-ups
    \

AWESOME! thanks!!
    09-11-12 11:43 AM
    Quite an annoying problem as it recently started happening on my 9930. No new apps in a long time but I did update App World.
    09-20-12 12:14 PM
    delete all of your apps then re-install them one by one. When the message comes back there's your problem app. I haven't heard of that but I don't install apps that aren't by RIM or a big developer.
    No wonder blackberry is loosing market share...no quality control on these apps.
    11-04-12 11:13 AM
    i personally think its like the tellemarketers like those calls you get on your phone, sales and stuff like that and blackberry is allowing that to happen maybe just maybe they are getting some money for it...later
    11-04-12 11:59 AM
    I've seen this occasionally, although hitting Back button a couple of times would clear it. I did recently install Dual Camera also. Uninstalled and will see if it went away.

No wonder blackberry is loosing market share...no quality control on these apps.
    Yeah, since the other phone OSes app store's apps ALL work perfectly and there's not even a chance of malware or something suspect... Not to mention that people are shopping for phones and then running back in the morning and seeing a pop-up that turns them off to buying it...
    11-04-12 01:46 PM
    It's a vendor pushed notification. One (or some) of the apps you have installed are causing this. Used to have 'Battery Watch Free' installed and every time I made a call or looked at mail, it would recommend me a call app or a mail app. So annoying until I found out what caused it and deleted the app immediately. have not had it ever since.
    11-05-12 04:03 AM
    if you want know from where it comes, when the pop up appears, you click the pop up, it will open the app page, you click on details of the app, and then click the developer page, and appears all apps of the developer, and you will see what you have installed...
    tapes likes this.
    11-05-12 06:09 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD