I have tried all others and have come back to bb for stability and battery life. After the shine wears off of the other devises its core functions I need most. Bb offers those best.
    11-14-11 06:10 PM
    I moved to an iPhone 4S, after having a BB for nearly 5 years. I just had to try it to see what the deal was with the whole iPhone thing. Android was out of the question for me, the OS just "feels" awful IMO. I was also looking for a replacement for my Storm but the touchscreen 9850 that came out felt cheap in hand as compared to the iPhone which is a superior build for the same price. I did also look at the 9930 which was very nice. I took the leap to iPhone 4S and I know already that when my contract is up its back to BB.

I have been compiling a list of things that the iPhone lacks that really annoy me and these items all seem to focus on the poor email/notification features. If anyone is thinking of switching from a BB to an iPhone consider not having the following features:

1- No notifications on home screen for new emails that arrive in sub-folders.
    2- No "mark all unread" function - you will need to individually mark unread/read messages.
    3- No account-specific signatures. So you can't have a separate work signature for your work account and another one for your personal account.
    4- Obvious but still worth stating - no LED notifications! So you are constantly picking the phone up to check stuff.
    5- No option to mark appointments on calendar as private.
    6- No option to set emails as low/normal/high priority.
    7- Inability to deep search Exchange server for emails etc.
    8- No missed call alerts.
    9- No native send grouped contacts in email!!! - shocking but true.
    10- No "Phone only" feature or ability to customize incoming communications.
    11- No "Bedside Mode" equivalent or ability to set time when phone is on standby.

I guess if I had done my research I would have figured this all out so I only have myself to blame. Its been said time and time again, if you want a communications device get a BB if you want a media/games device where communications is secondary an iPhone is the way to go. I can now say that as real life experience.
    I just have to say that everything stated above is SO true.
    I have both the iPhone 4 (personal) and blackberry bold 9700 (had the 9900).
    The bold I use for work. I can't emphasize the amount of calls/text messages/whatsapp messages/ I tend to miss due to the poor way of receiving notifications on the iPhone. Which is why it is for personal use. Also, I don't even bother to check for emails on the device. That is what I have the Bold for.

If you decide what you really need to use your device for, then you definitely can make a choice. However, just note that if you put BOTH the blackberry and the iPhone on silent and step away from them, when you come back, you will only have to turn one device on to figure out if you missed a notification.
    It won't be the blackberry......
    11-14-11 06:22 PM
    All my phones have been blackberries since the last 5 years, and most of them got spoilt.. Now im really pissed after waiting for 3 months for the new bold to come out and now just 2 months later its gets spoiled. Red blinking light, I'm currently overseas so i cant use my warranty until i get back in December. I'm studying in the UK now.. What should i do - Buy the 9900 on contract again or just go for the iphone or the samsung?
    11-14-11 08:36 PM
    Me:
    Pearl->Bold 9000->iPhone 3G->iPhone 3GS->iPhone 4->Bold 9900

Ultimately, if you want fun and games, yeah, Apple wins.
    But I got an iPod and an iPad for that.

The thing is, I need a PHONE. With trustworthy push email, and a browser that just needs to work - bells&whistles are really not needed to work with it.

And Apple's (too) short lifespan of each model was ruining me.
    11-14-11 08:55 PM
    Me:
    Pearl->Bold 9000->iPhone 3G->iPhone 3GS->iPhone 4->Bold 9900

Ultimately, if you want fun and games, yeah, Apple wins.
    But I got an iPod and an iPad for that.

The thing is, I need a PHONE. With trustworthy push email, and a browser that just needs to work - bells&whistles are really not needed to work with it.

And Apple's (too) short lifespan of each model was ruining me.
    For a second there, I thought those were greater than symbols at the beginning of your post. I was thinking, " that is the most horrible greater than chain I have ever seen".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 09:09 PM
    For a second there, I thought those were greater than symbols at the beginning of your post. I was thinking, " that is the most horrible greater than chain I have ever seen".
    Heh. Yeah, that would have been horrible.
    That's why I included the "-", hoping it would be clear it's a timeline and not a single ">".
    11-14-11 09:16 PM
    Coming from being an iphone user (iphone 2G) for almost 2 years before purchasing my very first blackberry, which is the 8900. I could say that it was an adjustment period and i never looked back or went back to being an iphone user basically of a few things:

1. I don't need a phone where you have to unlock the device everytime you upgrade your firmware/OS version.

2. A phone is a phone, where essential features should be mandatory (ei. text forwarding, redial, phone number format compatibility) these features were not available in the first iphone release which is disappointing considering they have neglected those key features and focused more on OS experience wherein majority of us including myself were too blind to see the real picture of things. I mean, you can't even send a picture via bluetooth to a laptop or another device, thats stupid.

3. Copy & paste feature, it was later then added in the iOS 3.0, even the early nokia devices has this feature. how embarrassing.

4. Push email - this is what blackberry is known for and will ever be famous for, not iOS or android can deliver such push service to a phone than what blackberry can deliver.

5. Blackberry Messenger - the baseline application where iOS has adopted ans other cross-platform messaging application. enough said.

6. BIS - even though this needs additional data plan, charges or expenses, I think it is worth the experience and the convenience it provides us. Blackberry is the only company that provides their own grown service and makes their own phones as well. I don't need to be connected or find a wi-fi hotspot just to connect to my twitter or facebook accounts, or chat using ym or gtalk. data service available on-the-go, that is blackberry.

7. Keyboard - this is arguerably the queen essential feature that separates blackberry from any other devices, its their perfect keyboard, not just the layout but also the feel of the keyboard. comparing it to a nokia qwerty keyboard or motorola, samsung, those keyboards are crap compared to blackberry's.

But bottom line, we can have different preferences when choosing the device. Apple is known for the pioneer in flawless touchscreen technology backed up by an awesome OS experience (multimedia and gaming specifically), which made us realize how great can a mobile phone be today and more in the future. they focus on "hype" as their marketing strategy which is a genius idea for advertising and sales. No doubt Apple is the leader in that field.

But blackberry is focused on a more serious side of life, making your life easier with on-the-go data availability just integrated in the phone without external applications needed to be installed. it is a lifestyle, not just a status symbol.

from my personal opinion, apple users are like the common wanna-be-cool people while blackberry users are exquisite and sophisticated socialites who just wants a simple smartphone with everything in it. Why pay for a fortune when you can have everything in for just a fraction of the cost.
    11-14-11 09:23 PM
    But blackberry is focused on a more serious side of life, making your life easier with on-the-go data availability just integrated in the phone without external applications needed to be installed. it is a lifestyle, not just a status symbol.

from my personal opinion, apple users are like the common wanna-be-cool people while blackberry users are exquisite and sophisticated socialites who just wants a simple smartphone with everything in it. Why pay for a fortune when you can have everything in for just a fraction of the cost.
    Exactly.
    iPhone has become a status symbol. More and more, those who "wear it" don't care about the fact that 90% of its users have that annoying Marimba ringtone and don't even know how to change it, and they don't care about the fact iOS still does not have a "mark all as read" option for the emails.
    Honestly, the "it's cool, so I have one" factor was the first thing that really made me open my eyes and decide I don't want it, nor what it represents in today's society.
    emirozmen likes this.
    11-14-11 09:36 PM
    Coming from being an iphone user (iphone 2G) for almost 2 years before purchasing my very first blackberry, which is the 8900. I could say that it was an adjustment period and i never looked back or went back to being an iphone user basically of a few things:

1. I don't need a phone where you have to unlock the device everytime you upgrade your firmware/OS version.

2. A phone is a phone, where essential features should be mandatory (ei. text forwarding, redial, phone number format compatibility) these features were not available in the first iphone release which is disappointing considering they have neglected those key features and focused more on OS experience wherein majority of us including myself were too blind to see the real picture of things. I mean, you can't even send a picture via bluetooth to a laptop or another device, thats stupid.

3. Copy & paste feature, it was later then added in the iOS 3.0, even the early nokia devices has this feature. how embarrassing.

4. Push email - this is what blackberry is known for and will ever be famous for, not iOS or android can deliver such push service to a phone than what blackberry can deliver.

5. Blackberry Messenger - the baseline application where iOS has adopted ans other cross-platform messaging application. enough said.

6. BIS - even though this needs additional data plan, charges or expenses, I think it is worth the experience and the convenience it provides us. Blackberry is the only company that provides their own grown service and makes their own phones as well. I don't need to be connected or find a wi-fi hotspot just to connect to my twitter or facebook accounts, or chat using ym or gtalk. data service available on-the-go, that is blackberry.

7. Keyboard - this is arguerably the queen essential feature that separates blackberry from any other devices, its their perfect keyboard, not just the layout but also the feel of the keyboard. comparing it to a nokia qwerty keyboard or motorola, samsung, those keyboards are crap compared to blackberry's.

But bottom line, we can have different preferences when choosing the device. Apple is known for the pioneer in flawless touchscreen technology backed up by an awesome OS experience (multimedia and gaming specifically), which made us realize how great can a mobile phone be today and more in the future. they focus on "hype" as their marketing strategy which is a genius idea for advertising and sales. No doubt Apple is the leader in that field.

You rock dude!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-14-11 09:38 PM
    Exactly.
    iPhone has become a status symbol. More and more, those who "wear it" don't care about the fact that 90% of its users have that annoying Marimba ringtone and don't even know how to change it, and they don't care about the fact iOS still does not have a "mark all as read" option for the emails.
    Honestly, the "it's cool, so I have one" factor was the first thing that really made me open my eyes and decide I don't want it, nor what it represents in today's society.
    lol. another lame shortage from Apple
    11-14-11 09:41 PM
    had iphohe 4 for a year, got 9930 in sept..3 days on phone w rim to reload os, app world problems and same old crap..sold it and went to 4S...once i jailbreak it will be exactly as productive as my 9930 with the luxury of using apps that work and dont lock up the freaking phone. best camera and video available...so ya

bbx better be da shiat or rim will be gonzo...
    11-14-11 10:03 PM
    had iphohe 4 for a year, got 9930 in sept..3 days on phone w rim to reload os, app world problems and same old crap..sold it and went to 4S...once i jailbreak it will be exactly as productive as my 9930 with the luxury of using apps that work and dont lock up the freaking phone. best camera and video available...so ya

bbx better be da shiat or rim will be gonzo...
    Not my experience with my 9900. It is the shiat. Enjoy your iphone. If it is what you want, you have no need to look toward BBX.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 10:14 PM
    unless blackberry wows me with a much nicer looking bbx phone then that thing on the front page, then im considering going to a windows phone in 2013(thats when i can upgrade) or maybe an android phone. but not the iphone. i refuse to give in to the iphone
    11-14-11 10:39 PM
    SO you think that BBX will save RIM.

Sorry but I am not convinced.

I owned the Playbook for about 12 hours, what a joke!
    i think its more a joke coming from a "tech savvy" child like you that has an iphone , because he didn't know IF YOU DON"T bridge your playbook , you can't do anything but wait for a WI-FI connection like your iphone
    11-14-11 10:48 PM
    I wouldn't say its my last BB device....but seeing as the first wave of BBX devices will be a touchscreen, I think I'd be better off goin the Android/iOS route while BBX builds up its ecosystem. I jumped in on the PlayBook hype...and while I do use it everyday, and its got great specs, its just lacking in the ecosystem. Not to mention all the recent delays and missed launch dates.

2 sayings come to mind:

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"
    "Actions speak louder than words"

Enjoy your switch.....you'll regret it especially once BBX comes out.
    Once RIM proves it, I will buy a BBX device, but not a second sooner.
    11-14-11 10:52 PM
    False hope. As of now we know next to nothing about BBX aside from the fact that it will be similar to the PlayBook OS. If some of these rumors are true it won't even have a keyboard and odds are BBX won't be compatible with BB7 devices.
    melon head needs to read more about what QNX does , and who owns QNX . and what the black bezel represent for generation y - NOT x . blackberry has always kept business aligned w/ their private and local consumers , and if one thing i know , the first set of bbx phones might not win over a set number of apple users , but i know that by the end of next year 2012 , blackberry will gain bakk its drive , and what you may or may not like is that RIM will have you bite . because QNX is everywhere , from your computers to your vehicle , how much more intergration do you need from a device ? rim has already stated that all blackberry devices will be compatible w/ BBX at devcon , do some bakkground info before you f* up a forum dedicated for 9900 users
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-14-11 11:04 PM
    unless blackberry wows me with a much nicer looking bbx phone then that thing on the front page, then im considering going to a windows phone in 2013(thats when i can upgrade) or maybe an android phone. but not the iphone. i refuse to give in to the iphone
    iphone is expensive, and people are jsut amazed because it is the best touchscreen and os experience compared to android, although android is really catching up or better yet dominating iOS. android and iOS should be compared rather than comparing blackberry with iOS devices, its like comparing the holy trinity to allah, its a different world.
    11-14-11 11:14 PM
    Not at all these BBX phones look interesting.
    11-14-11 11:19 PM
    Now that we've seen the Blackberry London, I can confirm the 9900 will be my last Blackberry (until they get something else that doesn't look like a Nokia/Sony Ericsson hybrid).
    emirozmen likes this.
    11-14-11 11:40 PM
    I thought my 9000 was going to be my last Blackberry. It was stolen though, so I had to get a 9800.
    11-15-11 12:03 AM
    Whether the 9900 is my last or not, is basically up to my company. As long as we have an Enterprise Server here, I'll stick to the BBY.
    And, call my old fashioned, but I couldn't care less about games (no interest at all), music (only listen to music at home), 4" touch screens or anything else but phone calls, emails and the occasional web browsing on my mobile device.
    11-15-11 04:41 AM
    I don't think my 9900 will be my last Blackberry, but I am on contract for 2 years so I have a long time to see how RIM does with BBX. Having said that, I upgraded from my 9000 for more speed and memory and that should be a given with any device they have available in 2 years' time, so as long as they don't make a monumental hash of things I would expect to replace the 9900 with the 2013 equivalent. I am delighted with my 9900.
    11-15-11 05:02 AM
    If RIM keeps building unreliable phones like the Bold 9900 I bet they will disappear as a company in less than 2 years.

They will end up as a software company offering BBM to iphone and android, and also offering mail software.
    11-15-11 05:13 AM
    Almost certainly my last BB.

I know that RIM have not been pulling up trees but it would seem they are intent on competing with Google and Apple and look like turning their back on the few killer features that they still possess with battery life top of the list for me. If RIM think that because Apple and Android can get away with 1 day battery life that they can too then they are sorely mistaken (imo)

I can see an iPhone 5 in my future.
    emirozmen likes this.
    11-15-11 05:59 AM
    iphone is expensive, and people are jsut amazed because it is the best touchscreen and os experience compared to android, although android is really catching up or better yet dominating iOS. android and iOS should be compared rather than comparing blackberry with iOS devices, its like comparing the holy trinity to allah, its a different world.
    I wouldn't say the iPhone is expensive. It is the exact same cost (on contract) as a BlackBerry device with data plans generally costing the same as well.

Personally I think its hard to say whether the 9900 will be my last BB device. As far as I am concerned, based on my personal experiences, the 9900 is the most solid BB device yet. My 9800 had plenty of shortcomings from a crappy browser to iffy build quality. My 9630 was solid but it was no 9900. The fluid-motion of OS7 on the 9900 won me over.

Mind you I have had over 27 Android phones since it was launched on the G1 along with every iPhone sans the 4S, so I have been all over the place with smartphones, but the 9900 with its awesome keyboard and great build quality is a winner in my book.

Last BB device for me? As long as RIM keeps releasing solid devices like the 9900, then no.
    ELavar likes this.
    11-15-11 08:45 AM
200 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD