I really like my Torch but I may switch. I have to test drive the 9900 first. If not I will wait until the Torch 2 arrives, probably late summer.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    05-21-11 09:51 PM
    I may. The Torch is a great phone, but the keyboard is sub par. Of course, there's not much I can expect from a slider phone with a large touch screen. Either way, I think I'm done with the big screens.
    05-21-11 10:08 PM
    Count me in. Not really thrilled with the form factor on the Torch. Too bad the 9900 doesn't have a trackball. Then it would be perfect. A 9000 with a touchscreen and some memory.
    05-21-11 10:24 PM
    I will definitely be switching. I loved my 9000 until the Torch came out, and while I enjoy the Torch, I can't wait to trade up to the 9900.
    05-21-11 10:36 PM
    Count me in. Not really thrilled with the form factor on the Torch. Too bad the 9900 doesn't have a trackball. Then it would be perfect. A 9000 with a touchscreen and some memory.
    Gotta disagree with ya on the trackball - I just fired up the old 9000 today to loan to a friend and was reminded how I found the trackball to be probably the weakest part of that phone. I very much prefer the trackpad.

Re the OP, I'm about 99% sold on the 9900. I'm hoping that both it and the T2 are out when I'm ready to upgrade in September so I can do a side-by-side to base the final decision on, but I think the 9900's keyboard is going to make it the winner.
    05-21-11 10:44 PM
    I had a 9000 also and when the trackpad was announced I remember thinking nothing could be better than the trackball. But now I can say I don't miss it.

Maybe one day there will be a retro model which will be popular.

-Rich

05-21-11 10:46 PM
    Gotta disagree with ya on the trackball - I just fired up the old 9000 today to loan to a friend and was reminded how I found the trackball to be probably the weakest part of that phone. I very much prefer the trackpad.
    woooordd, trackball was the past I'd like to forget.
    05-21-11 10:48 PM
    Why trackball? I hate it and it build up dust and skin parts in the ball itself. I hate it so much and I love the touch pad. I have no idea why some people like the ball.
    05-21-11 10:57 PM
    I know people who went back to the 9700 from a Torch, why wouldn't they leave the Torch for the 9900? I know after trying the Torch, I stayed on the 9000. Yes I said 9000 .
    05-21-11 11:30 PM
    I'm still going to keep my Torch as a backup. But definitely getting the 9900.
    05-22-11 12:04 AM
    I really like my Torch but I may switch. I have to test drive the 9900 first. If not I will wait until the Torch 2 arrives, probably late summer.
    Given that it seems likely that at&t are going to get torch 2 as an exclusive in the states, it wouldn't surprise me if that is actually the first os7 device they launch and not the 9900.

If you think about it, which brand have they spent a fair amount of money promoting in adverts and which brand would be available on all the main four carriers, logically it would just seem to make it more likely that they would launch torch 2 at the same time as the earliest 9900/9930 releases and follow up with the 9900 a bit later.
    05-22-11 03:55 AM
    Yes, my Torch is falling apart! Partly due to a couple free falls but it is ready to be replaced. I like the Torch but am not as much as the 9000 in its day. I just hope this thing gets here soon!
    05-22-11 05:31 AM
    I and many others jump ship from the 9800 even though we did not have a 9900 to land on.
    05-22-11 05:53 AM
    I was hoping that the 9800 would get angry birds but it never happen. Is there any chance that the 9930 will get it? I mean, it has liquid graphics & a GPU & and stuff like that. What's the barrier now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-11 06:46 AM
    I like the Torch form factor, but too many moving parts. The build quality has not been too impressive. So I will be jumping ship. I just wish there's some way the screen could be a little bigger...
    05-22-11 06:49 AM
    Given that it seems likely that at&t are going to get torch 2 as an exclusive in the states, it wouldn't surprise me if that is actually the first os7 device they launch and not the 9900.

If you think about it, which brand have they spent a fair amount of money promoting in adverts and which brand would be available on all the main four carriers, logically it would just seem to make it more likely that they would launch torch 2 at the same time as the earliest 9900/9930 releases and follow up with the 9900 a bit later.
    That might happen, but At&t have always had the Bold, but who knows? RIM can only make them avaiable to the carriers, so if and when the carriers want to get them and release them, is totally out of RIM's hands. IMHO I can see At&t getting the Torch2 for sure, and also the Bold 9900, but since the Torch2 sold great for them, they may delay releasing thier Bold 9900 and release the Torch2 1st. I'm just lucky i'm on Sprint, and pretty sure they're getting the Bold 9930
    05-22-11 07:54 AM

Re the OP, I'm about 99% sold on the 9900. I'm hoping that both it and the T2 are out when I'm ready to upgrade in September so I can do a side-by-side to base the final decision on, but I think the 9900's keyboard is going to make it the winner.
    Go figure. I miss the trackball the most. The trackpad on my 9800 is a spastic pos. Never had any issues (other than the need to clean it occasionally) with the trackball on the 9000. I always thought the trackpad would be an improvement till I actually had to use it.
    05-22-11 09:38 AM
    I've had many BlackBerry's and the Torch was my latest one. I recently sold it and went Android but not because I wanted to leave Blackberry. The keyboard was definitely subpar. You cannot get that 'clicky' feel on it. The form factor of the Torch was actually VERY nice and the larger screen was a wonderful addition. I didn't mind the sliding mechanism, although any drops make you freak out with the screen being slid open. But the cramped keys with very little tactile feedback was the death of it for me.

Now I am using an Inspire and the freaking screen size is insane.....so moving back down to a small screen will be really tough, but having the tried and true form factor in the 9900 will win me over again. I will hang on to the Inspire for the days I wants the large display, but the 9900 will be my main phone.

I cannot wait. Now, as someone mentioned, if AT&T (whom I use) decides they're going to push the Torch 2 and NOT get the 9900, I'm OUT with AT&T. Won't go back to TMo due to massive concerns with that network (tried hanging with them for a decade, not worth it).

So that leaves Verizon and CDMA.....no net access and phone calls together and really slow speeds....so I pray that AT&T wakes up and takes this phone in.

I for one think all four carriers will have this 9900 same day. That's the only way BB will stand a chance at showing this phone as it's saviour.

But man, I want one more and more each day. I just hope the anticipation isn't let down by an 'average' product. I did love OS6, it was really easy and intuitive to use. Hope OS7 is good enough.
    05-22-11 10:29 AM
    wow i can see alot of ppl is willing to trade their torch for a bold touch when it comes out... even tho the phone does look nice and i do miss having a bold but i think i would still stick to my torch cause i like how it have a big screen and a slide out keyboard phone is easy to use even tho the bold touch would me similar i just dont like the touch screen not being that big on the bold touch
    05-22-11 11:57 AM
    The only reason to have a Blackberry is for messaging.

The 9900 will boast the best keyboard since the 9000... for that reason if you are a blackberry user the 9900 is a must have.
    05-22-11 12:15 PM
    A BB is for relatively short messaging. BB's can't handle big emails well or large attachments at all. Other platforms handle that stuff with ease.
    05-22-11 01:13 PM
    I highly doubt AT&T will push back the release of the 9900 for the Torch2. The Torch2 hasn't been officially announced by RIM. It's rumored to be released late Fall. AT&T will be losing a lot of sales if they did that. The Bold is RIM's flagship device so it would make more sense to release that first. I know the Torch was exclusive to AT&T, not sure if the Torch2 will be.
    05-22-11 01:46 PM
    ^super true. my hunch is that at&t will be the 1st provider to release the 9900. then verizon/sprint will follow with the 9930.lastly,tmo will release their 9900 in august.this is because at&t has been waiting to get their bold device for a while now.9700 was the last one they had.so it just makes complete sense to let them launch it first. the torch 2 is of course going to end up on at&t but that will be later in the year.it doesn't make sense to launch the torch 2 first then the bold touch and to back that up there is no announcement from rim in launching the torch 2.as for regarding the op's title, i will not be jumping from the torch because i don't have one in my possession.
    Last edited by chetan1285; 05-22-11 at 08:41 PM.
    05-22-11 08:38 PM
    I have the Torch and I will be going to the 9900. Can't wait. Everything about it looks awesome.
    05-22-11 09:29 PM
    I ended up with the torch because I got tired of waiting for a 9000 update. Now will i jump? Nah. I will wait till both 9800-2 & 9900 are here to see what's up
    05-22-11 09:49 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD