In all honestly, GMaps deteriorated realm fast, much like the demo video circulating around, very long hourglassing on startup... same story as always. However in my frustration I discovered the new Bing HTML5 site and it is fast! check it out, just go to bing.com on your phone! I'm done with Gmaps
    09-08-11 12:23 AM
    i am sure google will upgrade their apps for bb soon. the hardware limitations are now history, specially graphix acceleration. this really matters, since rendering the maps will be a lot faster and can handle more complex stuff now. google is interested in people using their apps on every device and os, and i am sure they won't forget bb's.
    09-08-11 01:33 AM
    i am sure google will upgrade their apps for bb soon. the hardware limitations are now history, specially graphix acceleration. this really matters, since rendering the maps will be a lot faster and can handle more complex stuff now. google is interested in people using their apps on every device and os, and i am sure they won't forget bb's.
    i hope so too.
    09-08-11 02:24 AM
    I've been having issues with Google Maps since 9700.

Even with my 9900 it says less often though "Serious Error please Restart" and I would have to reopen the application.
    09-08-11 06:14 AM
    Google maps works brilliant for me

Used it to travel across scotland and it kept my location correct, and loaded the maps up good.

Shame it doesn't support the pinch to zoom function yet

Fingers crossed
    09-08-11 06:33 AM
    Google maps:

No pinch to zoom. No compass utilisation. No hourglassing for me yet. Directions and local search (on foot) are better than BB maps.

I find BB maps better for getting my bearings. Overall I switch between the two for different situations.
    09-08-11 06:56 AM
    I use both, and both are very good on my 9900. Although I can pinch to zoom on both BB Maps and Google Maps.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold 9900 wireless device
    09-08-11 07:12 AM
    Really? Please coukd you tell me your Google Maps version? I have 4.5.3 #4674 installed a week ago

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 07:28 AM
    Google Maps on 9900 doesnt work over wifi (travelling this weekand just realized). i could swear my 9700 workedover wifi when i would be roaming.

09-08-11 08:44 AM
    Sorry I lied. I just checked Google Maps and you're right - pinch and zoom doesn't work! Sorry about that.

09-08-11 09:35 AM
    For some reason I can't find google maps on Blackberry App World.

I also can't find Whatsapp.

Anyone else not able to find it?
    You have to go to the whatsapp web site, the one on app world was out of date so they probably removed it.
    09-08-11 09:51 AM
    Same here, very annoying that there's no 'pinch-and-zoom', plus tapping on the screen just selects a point, doesn't zoom like the iphone version. Hopefully Google will update this to reflect the popularity of the new BB touchscreen models. Do they even make a maps app for the playbook?
    09-08-11 10:19 AM
    Yeah to download Google Maps, you have to go to m.google.com/maps.

09-08-11 12:30 PM
    Google Maps on 9900 doesnt work over wifi (travelling this weekand just realized). i could swear my 9700 workedover wifi when i would be roaming.

My 9780 and 9700 worked perfectly on wifi, I have yet to try the 9900 when traveling.
    09-08-11 06:56 PM
    I still get hourglass for maybe 20 seconds loading on google maps. I gave up on it and use Bing, it's faster in loading maps but slower on pulling your location a bit. Seems erratic.

09-08-11 07:46 PM
    just got my bold 9900 today and google maps work really well it found me as soon as i launched the app....

09-08-11 07:51 PM
    just got my bold 9900 today and google maps work really well it found me as soon as i launched the app....

Yeah, it was the same for me, but just wait a couple of days and some usage and I guarantee you will get hourglassing upon loading the app.

09-08-11 07:57 PM
    I've been having issues with Google Maps since 9700.

Even with my 9900 it says less often though "Serious Error please Restart" and I would have to reopen the application.
    same, i'll get this once in awhile when i try to open it up after it's been running in the background for awhile (using latitude)
    09-08-11 10:07 PM
    maybe thats's something to do with the memory cache? once in a while i just reset the whole app by going to help and restart google maps... after that you should be good for a while...
    09-08-11 10:58 PM
    Now waiting for ebay, paypal,
    09-08-11 11:53 PM
    Something that I absolutely love about Google Maps for Android that isn't available on iOS and OS7 is that it will actually point me in the direction that I'm facing. This is HUGE living in Manhattan and coming out of subway stations in areas where you don't go to. It can get really confusing at times trying to figure out which direction you're facing. Manhattanites and tourists alike get confused.
    09-09-11 12:02 AM
    Same here, very annoying that there's no 'pinch-and-zoom', plus tapping on the screen just selects a point, doesn't zoom like the iphone version. Hopefully Google will update this to reflect the popularity of the new BB touchscreen models. Do they even make a maps app for the playbook?
    You do have I-zoom in O-zoom out, better then pinch to zoom.
    I just tried pinch to zoom in BB Maps and it works.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-09-11 at 12:07 AM.
    09-09-11 12:04 AM
    Something that I absolutely love about Google Maps for Android that isn't available on iOS and OS7 is that it will actually point me in the direction that I'm facing. This is HUGE living in Manhattan and coming out of subway stations in areas where you don't go to. It can get really confusing at times trying to figure out which direction you're facing. Manhattanites and tourists alike get confused.
    Yep, I missed that feature too. Sadly google will always make the android app superior for apparent reasons.

09-09-11 12:18 AM
    I always make sure I uninstall BB maps and replace it with Google Maps. Google Maps is packed with more useful features.
    09-09-11 04:19 PM
    I always make sure I uninstall BB maps and replace it with Google Maps. Google Maps is packed with more useful features.
    Some applications rely on the BBMaps libraries and expect them to be there even if you don't use it.
    09-09-11 04:30 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD