I've tried all platforms and each has it's advantages. Whatever meets your needs. With blackberry I get things that are important to me, done faster, a lot faster. Android and iOS are also nice, but I found on the phone longer to do the same important tasks. For me, getting information and communication are key, and the quicker I do it, the better. For me, the less time on my phone, the better. It just get the job done with regards to communication. For example, I get an alert on my blackberry, I take it out of the holster and the message is on my screen, read it, get info, and put it back or reply. Done. No swiping, opening apps, etc. That works for me and my busy day. I have a 9900 bridged to a PB and at night I like to lay on the couch and use my ASUS Android tablet for surfing. Whatever tool you need to get the job done. Get what works for you and your lifestyle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 10:20 AM
    I'm seeing a lot of misinformation in this thread. I'm not here to bash BB in the slightest, I just want to clear some things up...
    Nice post. I think the same goes for any advanced device to some degree. Just as Android has a lot of nice features that take time to find and understand, BlackBerrys also have many efficiency shortcuts built into the OS that make the OS 100% more interesting than at first glance. People often are too quick to judge.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-01-11 10:32 AM
    Nice post. I think the same goes for any advanced device to some degree. Just as Android has a lot of nice features that take time to find and understand, BlackBerrys also have many efficiency shortcuts built into the OS that make the OS 100% more interesting than at first glance. People often are too quick to judge.
    Agreed, while Android has widgets, lots of home screens, notification tray, etc blackberry has convenience keys, universal inbox (the feature I personally miss the most from BB), and keyboard shortcuts. It is a change going from one to the other, and it's up to the user to determine which format they like the most.
    10-01-11 10:37 AM
    guys dont bother the glx 2 is plastic and to big antop of which i went from yrs of blacberry to a htc desire hd and a glx si9000 to find that now im bk on a blackberry the android handsets use too much access to net. i used to use about 200 meg a month then went to 900 or so meg doing same thing on a htc and samsung now im bk on a blackberry im down to 165 meg again... i just think that rim is to high class to be dropped.. android handsets are too common and to flimsy ... dunno just my thoughts really u may think im wrong but im bb through and through now!!!!!!
    Don't make me laugh, So the material makes you not buy it?
    Check what's INSIDE that powerhouse.
    10-01-11 10:46 AM
    I havent really given up yet but after using a Samsung S2 i have been in awe actually. What a crazy phone. Simply amazing browser with a desktop useragent, great apps, full flash. Have already loaded custom roms and kernels. Much better battery life then my Bold 9900. Syncing my emails are perfect, no transcated email anymore. Phone pretty much runs circles around the 9900. From what i can see it also blows the doors off my Playbook in browsing speed.
    10-01-11 11:03 AM
    I've been holding out for the 9900 on AT&T but Samsung sure is luring me in with their Galaxy S II commercials. I've been reading reviews and it sounds pretty amazing. Plus, AT&T has announce a date of it's release. Anyone else out there thinking of giving up and making the switch?

I'm just not sure I want to give up the physical keyboard. But if that's the only thing holding me back....I don't know....I think I might go for it.

I feel your pain and I have the same feelings and struggle. I currently have a Bold 9700 and I have always loved Blackberry. However, I've been very frustrated for the past year with Blackberry. My phone's performance has taken a complete nosedive - battery life is now terrible, 0S6 has such a memory leak problem I need to do 1 or 2 battery pulls a day, and I can't find many of the apps I would like.

To make matters worse, Blackberry takes forever to come out with new devices. They took so long with this latest crop that anyone that cares about app support now needs to really consider if getting locked into a 2-year contract makes sense, given that QNX phones are set to arrive in Q1 2012. To top it off, the flagship device (Blackberry Bold 9900) isn't available on AT&T, yet can be found on every other carrier. What is AT&T thinking?

I've been eyeing the SGSII since it was announced at MWC in Q1 2011. With this device coming out tomorrow, ridiculously impressive specs, improved Exchange support, and no Bold 9900 in sight, I am very, very tempted to make the switch. Currently, I'm actually leaning toward making the switch. Maybe mature QNX phones and a mature QNX ecosystem will catapult Blackberry back into a competitive position. For the near future, I'm flirting with Samsung and Android in a major way.
    luckyking likes this.
    10-01-11 11:12 AM
    If RIM has the good sense to one day release a full-touch phone costing about say $270 unlocked, then I would consider Blackberry.

Many like me don't need a lot of what Android offers. But almost everyone DOES need a full screen to browse websites and watch Youtube videos.

RIM must realize that their full touch phones should stop trying to be everything to everyone. There needs to be a simple touch screen model that caters to the messaging and Facebook crowd!
    10-01-11 11:30 AM
    If RIM has the good sense to one day release a full-touch phone costing about say $270 unlocked, then I would consider Blackberry.

Many like me don't need a lot of what Android offers. But almost everyone DOES need a full screen to browse websites and watch Youtube videos.

RIM must realize that their full touch phones should stop trying to be everything to everyone. There needs to be a simple touch screen model that caters to the messaging and Facebook crowd!

I browse websites and youtube great on my screen. Why do we all NEED a full screen touchscreen to do this? RIM built it's base, based on great smartphones with great keyboards. This is a big reason why people have purchased the 9900.

10-01-11 12:38 PM
    Androids are great/fun phones, the samsung GS2 ... seriously that phone have to be the best android phone on the market at the moment.. it seriously have no lag! you can load 1,000 apps on that phone and you still would have it flying. unlike the Infuse or the old gs phones.. the Touchwiz 4 or 3.5 forgot whats on it, is probly the most simplest UI out there.. besides stock android.

Pretty much if your into playing angry birds, downloading lots of apps, games, want to show off to your friends, love watching media playing music, taking pictures, plus hacking/rooting your phone getting even better features and a faster phone

then the GS2 is perfect for you.

if you want something stable, gets the job done, not worrying about rebooting your phone, needs to send important emails back and forth, love messaging, and have a lot of friends with bbm.

Then i would either wait for the bb 9900 on ATT. or go ahead and jump ship and get a unbranded one or switch carriers. Or do you like me and get both!

you all really got to lose that "im loyal/ fanboy" to these companies, because you could be missing out on a great phone and you probly will like it, either way you do it you still going to have one of the hottest phones out this season
    10-01-11 01:05 PM
    Hey when I left BB for Android I was happy too. But back then BB was laggy and the browser was horrible. After 5 different Android devices, I'm sick of the battery drains, lack of led notifications, endless hours of tweaking/rooting/flashing, bad call quality, and some other things, I'm more than happy to be back to BB. Everyone has different needs and wants. Pick what is right for you. Just think about what you use your phone for mainly and use those are the main reasons for picking your phone.
    10-01-11 06:30 PM
    I came from an Android phone and am so happy with my switch to the Bold 9930. I didn't like the virtual keyboard and the poor battery life. Really, it's all about what you want. I downloaded a bunch of apps but never used them. The only thing I don't like about BlackBerry is not having voice navigation. Other than that, the 9930 is everything I want in a smartphone.
    10-01-11 07:15 PM
    No. Just got done with droid and it sucked. All the apps run at the same time and bog down the phone. Blackberry is so much better

10-01-11 07:16 PM
    I used to have a 9563 Tour then a Droid X.

While the Droid X handled email PERFECTLY, I couldn't get passed the darn touchscreen keyboard. Plus the phone locked up several times a week and had some weird software quirks like the home screen showing weird lines and icon misplacement.

Came back to the 9930 because of the keyboard and the ease of the OS. Very clean, smooth and I like the "no frills, no thrills" aspect of it.

Sure the Droid X had great potential but, at the end of the day, I need to type effectively and correctly. Couldn't do that on the Droid X
    10-01-11 07:18 PM
    I just switched from iPhone 4 to BB 9930 - best decision I made.

iPhone was a great phone, and a great toy, but I couldn't type e-mails/message accurately for the life of me. (And in my line of work that is rather important!)
    10-01-11 07:19 PM
    Many thanks to everyone for all of your comments and input. I was certainly looking for opinions with my original post and you have all provided some great feedback.

I think that I am going to hold out and put up with my 9700 a bit longer. It's a great device but I am now having to do battery pulls all the time and it's getting frustrating. But I am looking for a phone that I can use for communication....email, text and talking.

Thanks again all!
    10-04-11 03:46 PM
    I left BB for Android a little over a year ago. I had the EVO and most recent, the Epic. Both nice phones but it seemed to me that i used to get things done a lot faster on my BB. So I sold my Epic and want back to my 8330! I can honestly say i enjoy using my 8330 more than my evo or epic! I can email and text so much faster, bluetooth works better on my 8330 than it did on the evo. Not having to charge my phone every 4 hours is great too. I regret using my upgrade on the Epic. Now i have to get a 9930 full price lol. But it looks like im staying bb for a while longer. Oh I forgot to mention cell reception is so much better on BB

Last edited by EspoMan; 10-04-11 at 06:53 PM.
    10-04-11 06:33 PM
    It boggles my mind that anyone sticks with Blackberry, there are so many far more capable devices.
    This coming from a person who's main profile pic of their Geo Storm.

I left Blackberry twice for the HTC Evo and Evo Shift. Once I realized what a mistake I made each time I took up Sprint on their 30 day worry free return police. I now have a 9930 and love it. I do dislike the lack of apps, but the physical keyboard makes up for it. If I ever go touch screen and switch platforms, chances are I will wind up with an iPhone. Androids are "too much" for a simple person like myself.
    10-04-11 07:23 PM
    If you are going to switch....I would consider Windows Phone 7.5. My personal opinion I currently have att and am using a 9930 on a friends VZW account currently. My calls are being forwarded at the moment so I am not using the torch on my ATT aaccount. I have considered buying a Samsung Focus to play around with in the mean time as I want to evaluate the VZW service compared to ATT for the next month or so. I have tried android in the past and for me...its just not what I want in an OS. The Windows Phone Mango for me appears to be a hybrid of some of android/iOS and some of BlackBerry as well. You get alot of useful office tools like BB and have more apps for games and such as on Android or iOS. To each their own but I will probably be able to give a better opinion once I get the WP7 device and play with it for awhile. Just my 2 cents!!
    I have a strict no Microsoft OS policy on my personal devices so WP7 is out of the question. I am not keen on virtual keyboards but if I did decide to buy a phone with one, it would be the iPhone 4S. I have an iMac and iPad so an iPhone would be a much better fit than Android.
    10-04-11 07:57 PM
    I switched July 2010 to the brand new at the time Droid X, and I loved it. There were so many apps and just cool things you could do with the phone. Now October 2011 and im getting ready for an upgrade; I can not stand touchscreen. Swype, or just the normal keyboard are just so aggravating. Im tired of writing a message, sending it, and then having to re-write it so people understand what I was trying to say. I also realized the apps that android offers while very vast in numbers are really useless. Going through the android market I was amazed at how many things my new phone could do, but now I realized that I never even use those apps anyway. I cant wait to get back to a blackberry, whether it be a OS7, or I wait for the new QNX.

Good luck.
    10-10-11 09:16 AM
    Android is made by Google. HECK NO. I want privacy. I want security. I need my BlackBerry. RIM all the way.
    10-11-11 10:27 AM
    Motorola will release a big screen physical keyboarded Android device..
    My favourite is physical keyboard mostly..that's why i gotta use blackberry as i have to be fast and multitasky..
    I will wait and test Motorola's device..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    10-11-11 10:35 AM
    I'm staying with Blackberry.
    10-11-11 11:07 AM
    Android is great - if you get a great ROM on it. This isn't the OS's fault though. Barebones its pretty smooth. My only gripe is fragmentation.
    10-11-11 11:22 AM
    My personal opinion is Blackberry is beautiful. I had a 9930 for a week and it was really nice. The device was just nice. It looked nice. It felt nice. And the keyboard is great. The battery wasnt so great for me. Also no flash/4g lte was a negative. I currently have the Bionic but will give BB another shot next year i love the quality and keyboard!

10-11-11 11:35 AM
    Android is great - if you get a great ROM on it. This isn't the OS's fault though. Barebones its pretty smooth. My only gripe is fragmentation.
    Not picking here (actually trying to hear your perspective): how does fragmentation hurt you? Seriously being non-confrontational here...
    10-11-11 11:42 AM
145 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD