Your whole post has been discredited by saying Android is "non-customizable." I know there's a lot of Blackberry fanboy here, but don't just blindly bash other platform without getting your facts right.
    I had a DROID X with gingerbread on it. The rooting process/ROM upgrade process was difficult and clunky for me and I found myself becoming annoyed with it.

I used to flash ROMS all the time with WIMO 5.0/6.0/6.5 and the process was logical and with those OS's, I was able to set my phone up EXACTLY how I wanted it so I had what I needed on my homescreen for my everyday activities and needs.

I am not bashing Android, as a matter of fact, I am sure if I invested the time, effort and energy into it, I am sure I could figure out a way to become less annoyed.

My BB just seems to have 95% of what I need right on the home screen and the "phone" part of the device just works better (IMO) than the android device I had - the volume is louder, the speakerphone is louder, the email client works faster and is more organized, no doubt the notification portion is much better. It just works better for me - I am not interested in "non-business" apps as much as some folks are - my office gave me an i-phart and quite honestly, I really have no use for that device - the volume is too low, the speakerphone is a joke and the email client is even more of a joke.

To each his own - if I came off bashing Android, I did not mean to! Different strokes...
    09-30-11 10:56 AM
    made the switch from my 9700 to the EVO in November, couldn't stand it, so i went back and used my 8330 then 9630, then 9650 and now im on the 9930, my sister has the torch 2 which is also a very nice phone, so hold out and wait for the 9900 or get the 9810, you wont go wrong with either
    09-30-11 11:17 AM
    I too left for android....

Where's does it say that I sent this from?

Yep, my crackberry.

I broke my phone so I could replace it with a bb!

I had the desire z, that has buttons, just not BlackBerry buttons...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 11:24 AM
    Not worth it. I came from android and wouldnt go back. Unless I felt the need to spend my whole day downloading and demoing various apps or play games. Or a bunch of hours rooting my phone, only to reflash on a monthly basis.
    Exactly what I've said to others. Android is "ok" at best for a short while, it keeps you entertained for a while as well with all the mods you can do it. But let's face it if you are a biz user do you really have the time to deal with that BS?

I remember times when I could not even an answer a call on my OG Droid because the phone app would go black and not allow me to take the call. It had to go to VM. That phone was not rooted and was running the basic Android OS w/o any over lays. A phone call. The simplest thing that the "phone" should have done and it couldn't do it.

Then on another OG Droid I jumped on the MIUI rom bandwagon....EVERY WEEK I had a new update for it. Guess what? You have to do a complete wipe including a Dalvik wipe. Who is this Dalvik and why must I erase its cache in order for my phone to work properly on a weekly basis. Eventually I grew tired of it and found myself on a non-rooted OG Droid, not being able to answer phone calls. Joy!????
    09-30-11 12:18 PM
    I believe everyone should pick the device that best suits their needs, and there's nothing wrong with posting on this forum to compare the specs. For the OP, if you can't wait, do what's best for you. Test out different devices before you buy.
    mud314 likes this.
    09-30-11 02:03 PM
    what makes you feel so strongly about that? curious as I have tried all the big name OS's in the last year and a half.
    Agreed. I have tried them all at one point or another and I have to say:
    1. Android starts great then begins to slow, if you decide to root then the real issues begin.
    2. This may sound odd, but while I love iOS on the iPad I cannot get used to it for a phone's OS. I don't get it myself, I keep trying to understand why I feel like that but I just don't think it's all that great for a phone.
    3. Windows --- well it's Windows enough said.
    4. WebOS was and will probably always be my have Mobile OS, unfortunately it was torn apart by a stupid company that doesn't know it's a$$ from a hole in the ground.
    5. Symbian. ?

But to each their own and I'm just thankful that we live areas that we are allowed choices.
    09-30-11 02:10 PM
    guys dont bother the glx 2 is plastic and to big antop of which i went from yrs of blacberry to a htc desire hd and a glx si9000 to find that now im bk on a blackberry the android handsets use too much access to net. i used to use about 200 meg a month then went to 900 or so meg doing same thing on a htc and samsung now im bk on a blackberry im down to 165 meg again... i just think that rim is to high class to be dropped.. android handsets are too common and to flimsy ... dunno just my thoughts really u may think im wrong but im bb through and through now!!!!!!
    09-30-11 02:18 PM
    i'm looking for a phone now and really don't know what to do.. this will be my first smartphone and am so confused! I'm young so apps really will be pretty handy. How are the apps compared to android? I know there's few and far between but are they good quality? Will be moving from a samsung monte so i guess anything is good. Just want a smartphone that is sturdy and reliable. am i in the right place or should i just try and divert my thoughts from the fine qwerty keypads and place my eyes on the samsung galaxy s2? aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    09-30-11 05:24 PM
    Nah I think Android runs like crap outside of HTC. I had a Atrix and I'm never going back. BB4Life

09-30-11 05:51 PM
    the thing is if you are a computer guy, and know how too use your phone right the number of things you could do with an android or Iphone are amazing

my friend works in I.T department and has an iphone, sometimes we're on the subway and he's hacking others people phones just for fun, he can watch his PC and work in his PC trought his iphone, can talk for free with skype, etc etc, makes me feel ashamed of my BB

but in the end I just don't care of that stuff, and don't have the time to learn it, I love real qwerty and a nice calendar and few apps are all I need,

but anyway I'm going to wait til tuesday when apple announces new Iphone 5 to decide my next phone
    09-30-11 07:28 PM
    the thing is if you are a computer guy, and know how too use your phone right the number of things you could do with an android or Iphone are amazing

my friend works in I.T department and has an iphone, sometimes we're on the subway and he's hacking others people phones just for fun, he can watch his PC and work in his PC trought his iphone, can talk for free with skype, etc etc, makes me feel ashamed of my BB

but in the end I just don't care of that stuff, and don't have the time to learn it, I love real qwerty and a nice calendar and few apps are all I need,

but anyway I'm going to wait til tuesday when apple announces new Iphone 5 to decide my next phone
    I like this post.

There is a plethora of things I can do with my Android. I can run remote computers, use Skype and Google Voice for free calls, HDMI out movies and more.

But, I have also come to accept the fact that not every one needs that functionality. It's okay to get a device that truly meets your needs.
    09-30-11 07:33 PM

So you want an iphone because your friend, the I.T. Guy hacks his co-workers for fun and views his work PC? That impressed you to the point of being ashamed of your Blackberry? Well young man, you should be ashamed of yourself! Lol. Do I sound like your mom yet? Sorry, I just found what you said very funny and could just see the people here getting on you about some I.T. Guy (of all people hehehe) spying on co-workers.
    I went to the android right before the 9930 was released, just to see what its all about and to attempt to convert myself to a virtual keyboard user. You know, the kind who always say "give it time, you will get used to it". Didn't happen, and I was remorseful after just 14 days.

09-30-11 07:56 PM
    I used s2 for 7 days and then returned it back, It's just too bulky and the lack of the physical keyboard really is a frustrating.
    09-30-11 09:58 PM
    well this is what you have to keep in mind, what do you want use the phone mainly for? For me, this is my first blackberry btw, i want a fast paced messaging device so sms, bbm, IM, thats why I get this phone. Secondly since I'm this type of guy who rarely change phone, I need a decent built quality phone and bold 9900 has it, to tell you the truth, I can't handle having samsung galaxy 2 for 3-4 years cuz its made of very cheap like plastic, but then again its my opinion
    09-30-11 11:44 PM
    I'm just going to say...

I don't think I'll ever find a phone with a better form factor and better keyboard than the 9900. Typing e-mails and messaging on it is an absolute dream. All-touchscreen Android would make me want to shoot myself in the foot. Though the Galaxy SII does look nice. But honestly the 9900 is the best and most productive smartphone I've ever laid my hands on. Won't be switching any time soon, even when the first all touch screen QNX phone comes out. Will probably buy one just to have/try/support RIM though.
    10-01-11 12:27 AM
    I'm a phone geek and I've tried everything out there except for Symbian. Once I tried Blackberry I was not satisfied with any of the others. I'd come from WM and Palm, tried iOS for a month, and recently bought an Atrix. That started as a dream and then the bloom began to come off the rose very quickly. I finally gave up on it and gave it to a family member.
    From everything I've used (which are all platforms out here except one) BB is the best for me. I wouldn't touch Android with a ten foot pole. And if they every put Android on a BB I'll go elsewhere. That's how disappointing the whole Android experience was for me.
    I'm communication, security, and productivity oriented. Media and games are afterthoughts.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-01-11 at 07:21 AM.
    Spawn12 and southlander like this.
    10-01-11 03:42 AM
    I am using Blackberry now and I want to try using the popular Android Phones too which sounds interesting. I will use both the Phones.
    10-01-11 04:19 AM
    I left BB for Android over a year ago and am extremely satisfied. Everyone has a different opinion/experience with a platform so best thing to do is try it out for yourself. Buy whatever floats your boat, it's just a phone.

Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-01-11 06:46 AM
    I left BB for Android over a year ago and am extremely satisfied. Everyone has a different opinion/experience with a platform so best thing to do is try it out for yourself. Buy whatever floats your boat, it's just a phone.

Well said. I like open-minded tech users...
    10-01-11 07:52 AM
    Not a chance, my 9900 does everything I need it to do. It's definitely a pleasure to use and type on!

10-01-11 09:29 AM
    I wouldn't even think about going back to Android. Security suck and easily hacked by the right person. Like to carry a lot of weight? Well get used to carrying extra batteries. I will never go back. I lasted 2 weeks on the droid 2 and hated it.

However, when holding and using the 9930, there's just something neat and fun about it. I cannot for the love of Pete, let go. My wife hates it for that. She had an Android till last week and now is using an old Storm 1 till the Bold comes out on AT&T. We both will make the switch from Verizon. Lots of People are waiting.

......AT&T, I hate you for not getting this sooner! Just be patient; it will pay off!
    10-01-11 09:44 AM
    ... an what? adro who? .. lol... if RIM no longer exists and no more blackberry service, i'd say I'll switch to iOS...
    10-01-11 09:55 AM
    I'm seeing a lot of misinformation in this thread. I'm not here to bash BB in the slightest, I just want to clear some things up.

I see many users who have come back from Android say "It was a fun device for multimedia, but it wasn't productive enough for me." It makes me really wonder if people had even given it a shot at being a device used for productivity. I'd like to share my setup with you. I'm your average consumer. I don't use my phone for business. My phone is stock, non-rooted, running Sense 3.0.

This is my lockscreen.

See those four apps at the bottom? When I drag and drop one of those into the ring, it immediately opens up that program. The thing that comes in most handy for me is the Google Navigation. When driving, I keep my phone in a car dock. When I'm not sure exactly where I'm going (it happens a lot, I admit), I just drag that into the loop, hit "speak destination," say my destination, and within seconds I have full voice turn-by-turn directions displayed in front of me.

This is my home screen.

Nothing much to see here, except the clock widget. When I tap the widget, it takes me into an app that has a desk mode, displays world clocks, my alarms, timer, and stopwatch. pretty neat.

One swipe to the left and you get this:

Some fairly handy widgets here. The Weatherbug Elite widget takes me into the full app when I tap it. The Weatherbug maps app updates every 3 hours (or however you want to set it). When I tap it, it goes to a full sized map. It comes pretty handy in midwest Springs and Winters.

Two swipes to the left:

My calendar. Here, I can scroll through my entries. If I want to edit a particular entry, I tap on it and it takes me straight to the entry.

Three swipes to the left:

I have some egg on my face here. I didn't realize that the screenshot notification was captured in the screenshot before I edited it to remove my friend's last name. Anyways, this is my mail widget. There's not a lot to see here at the moment. If it was full, I could scroll through the entries. Again, tapping on an entry takes me right to it so I can read the full thing. Need to compose an email in a hurry? What the screenshot box is covering are two icons: list and compose. When I hit list it shows me all the entries, just like it does in the widget. I hit compose and it's just what it sounds like. It takes me to where I can compose a message from the account that I have set as my default.

One swipe to the right:

Just some fun lil media stuff. Of note is my power control widget. From there I can control wifi, bluetooth, gps, auto sync, and screen brightness. There is also my media player widget. I have basic controls from the screen, but when I tap it the whole app opens.

Two swipes to the right:

SMS widget. Again, the lil screenshot notification thingie is hiding the list and compose buttons, but those do the same as on the email widget. And again, I can scroll through the entries without opening the app, and if I want to check out a whole entry I tap on that entry and it opens to it.

Three swipes to the right:

Twitter. Because who doesn't like Twitter?

This is what you get when you pull down on the notification bar:

It shows you your recent notifications and also works with some specific apps. For example, you see my Weatherbug status. When I tap on that, it takes me to the app. That imo thingie? That's an IM app that combines buddy lists from many different IM clients, but also keeps them separate if that makes sense. Like, I'm signed into Skype, Yahoo, and AIM. It shows me which buddies are from which client.

So, that's my setup. Again, my phone is not rooted. The customization options are nearly endless even if you're not very techy at flashing roms and whatnot. With many of the widgets, you have customization options WITHIN the widget! You can chose what you want it to look like on the home screen, refresh intervals, etc.

As far as battery life, I really think it's evolving. The Samsung Vibrant I got last July needed re-charging at least once a day. The MyTouch 4G I got last November made it throughout the day as long as I threw it on the car charger on my commute home from work. My current phone, the HTC Sensation which I got in June has wonderful battery life. It lasts me all day without having to recharge.

As far as physical vs touch keyboards, I think this is REALLY up to the specific user. Keep in mind that any keyboard switch will take a learning curve. I struggled with it when I came to BB from my Sidekick days, and I struggled with it when I went to Android from BB. The cool thing about Android is that if you don't like the phone's stock keyboard there are MANY keyboard options in the Market. You're not just stuck with a crappy keyboard that you can't get the hang of no matter what. It didn't take long for me to be just as fast on a virtual keyboard than I was on BB's physical keyboard.

Like I said at the beginning, the intent of this post isn't to bash BB. I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions that I saw flying around. I'm REALLY GLAD BB seems to be trying to produce more consumer-oriented handsets and I don't want them to fail. I'd love to try out a QNX powerhouse phone sooner rather than later. I think competition in the mobile market is a GOOD THING and can only inspire innovation no matter what platform is your favorite.

Sorry for the large screenies.
    Chrisy, hahree and gonzo1x like this.
    10-01-11 10:12 AM
    Only thing i miss from Android is the google navigation in all honesty...thats about the only thing i miss from Android.

If only BB had a version of google nav or something similar then id be alot more happier.
    southlander likes this.
    10-01-11 10:16 AM
    Great post, pantlesspenguin! I don't get why some think Android is a toy or entertainment only device. It does what my Blackberry does, and so much more!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-01-11 10:17 AM
145 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD