^^^^ I agree w you on that. Its personal preference. Im not trying to troll either, the op asked for opinions. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted. Tell ya the truth I still love CB!!! Best forum ever!! Can't wait to c qnx !!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 09:36 PM
    The 9900 is more expensive unlocked than the Galaxy SII. I'm pretty sure even people with the most basic knowledge of phone technology can understand how ridiculous that is. At what point in cell phone history did we start paying for brand name instead of features.

I mean BT is still 2.1, camera was downgraded to a fix point while retaining the same low res(for todays standards), an unnamed gpu(probably crappy one), single core cpu and even with the 8gb(which is low in comparision) internal storage app makers, like the ones making gps with voice navigation(probably another nail to the BB coffin), will not rush to put out a BB version because OS7 is basically the same old crap that they've been avoiding.

Whats the point of OS7 it's OS6 renamed FFS! Feels like RIM trying to cash in(put out expensively priced phones, lower r&d and manufacturing costs) as fast they can before they go the way of Nokia.

Not upgrading unless it's free.
    Last edited by hahree; 09-29-11 at 10:50 PM.
    AceStreaming likes this.
    09-29-11 10:12 PM
    I jumped ship FROM Android... Not going back anytime soon.

09-29-11 11:30 PM
    Once you go black(berry), you never go back.
    flash24 likes this.
    09-29-11 11:38 PM
    I lost interest quickly with my Galaxy for the little things it didn't do as efficiently as my BB. Not to put its messaging capabilities down because it was pretty close and maybe SGII is better with ginberbread but for pure messaging the 9900 fits me better. Obviously for media activity the Galaxy is better which is why I gave it to my wife in order that she could pacify my 7 and 5 year old.
    09-30-11 12:43 AM
    My BB gets me by. It gets the job done quickly and easily and that's all I really care about. Not going back to Android and will never join Apple.
    09-30-11 07:08 AM
    One reason I prefer Android is cloud computing. That is a form of communication extremely important to me.
    09-30-11 07:11 AM
    Love my BB9930 - the ONLY way I would switch is to a "touch pro II" type of device for Windows Mobile - something with a slide out KB or a large screen (at least 4.3" QHD) a non-hardware keyboard with lots of RAM for Verizon. I am wondering when/if they will be releasing such a device. As far as Android is concerned - been there, done that - lousy security, clunky interface, non-customizable - not me for a long time until they can clean it up and make it worthwhile (IMHO).
    09-30-11 07:23 AM
    Love my BB9930 - the ONLY way I would switch is to a "touch pro II" type of device for Windows Mobile - something with a slide out KB or a large screen (at least 4.3" QHD) a non-hardware keyboard with lots of RAM for Verizon. I am wondering when/if they will be releasing such a device. As far as Android is concerned - been there, done that - lousy security, clunky interface, non-customizable - not me for a long time until they can clean it up and make it worthwhile (IMHO).
    Interesting point of view. Most people complain that there are too many options, but we all have unique perspectives.
    09-30-11 07:29 AM
    I came from the old days of custom roms with windows mobile. I was able to set up my home screen on my touch pro II exactly (I mean EXACTLY) how I wanted it. I have seen the new "Mango" interface and am very intrigued by it.

My biggest complaint about Android was the lack of ability to resize icons, arrange them how I wanted - basically set up my home screen so everything I used on a daily basis was there. The apps were for the most part, useless. I don't play angry birds or other games on my phone - I want it to make calls, get email, text and get the news/weather/sports info I need. So far, my new blackberry is just about perfect - just longing for more screen real estate.....
    09-30-11 07:35 AM
    I came from the old days of custom roms with windows mobile. I was able to set up my home screen on my touch pro II exactly (I mean EXACTLY) how I wanted it. I have seen the new "Mango" interface and am very intrigued by it.

My biggest complaint about Android was the lack of ability to resize icons, arrange them how I wanted - basically set up my home screen so everything I used on a daily basis was there. The apps were for the most part, useless. I don't play angry birds or other games on my phone - I want it to make calls, get email, text and get the news/weather/sports info I need. So far, my new blackberry is just about perfect - just longing for more screen real estate.....
    Ah... I see your point.

My first go-around with Android left me horribly underwhelmed too. You can resize and all that with the proper tools now though.

I am highly intrigued by Mango as well.
    kashabrown likes this.
    09-30-11 07:44 AM
    I am looking to buy my first smartphone. Blackberry seems perfect for me. I text, twitter, facebook and IM a lot. But I realized that I also watch a LOT of Youtube and browse websites on my iPod Touch 2G.
    I finally decided on the Samsung Galaxy Ace. It's exactly like an iPod Touch, but with a phone!
    Blackberrys are over-priced. And you pay extra every month for a special Blackberry plan. The pros of owning a BB is that you get true push notification, better battery than Android and high one-handed efficiency due to physical keyboard and shortcuts.

Overall I decided the Keyboard is not worth it. You NEED a big screen to browse websites and watch youtube!
    Last edited by ca101d; 09-30-11 at 07:55 AM.
    09-30-11 07:52 AM
    Came from android and not going back anytime soon. It was fun flashing roms, playing all the games, and finding other things to make it cool but it seems like I used it more like a toy instead of actual phone. Now with my first blackberry I use it for the communication and web browsing with some music while at work. Android was fun but distracting. And once you start flashing roms you won't stop. If I go back the battery life would have to greatly improve and hardware would have to blow me away. I love the simple yet luxurious look of the bold. A lot of less apps coming from android but that hasn't stopped me from loving it

09-30-11 07:54 AM
    I tired Android a few months ago, a 2 week run when the Thunderbolt came out. Suck battery life. In order to get better battery, don't use the phone, so why buy it.... pointless.

I liked what the phone could do, and how quickly it would do some things. In the end, Blackberry just does the things I do with a phone better and more securely than Android. People look at you like you're a dope, and VZW reps act like you're out of touch with technology when you bust out a Blackberry, but it really does do the job I need it to do very well.
    09-30-11 08:13 AM
    Blackberrys are over-priced. And you pay extra every month for a special Blackberry plan. The pros of owning a BB is that you get true push notification, better battery than Android and high one-handed efficiency due to physical keyboard and shortcuts.

Overall I decided the Keyboard is not worth it. You NEED a big screen to browse websites and watch youtube!
    AFAIK, all smartphones require the additional 10 dollar premium. Did you look at the 9850? the screen is the same size as the other large screens. I played around with it before going with the 9930. The large screen is nice but got tired of the real estate of the phone in general. I was surprised how a video I loaded from my old EVO adjusted and played awesome on my bold. Figured it would have gave me an error due to size. Anyways, enjoy your phone. Everyone has their own reasons for getting their particular phone.
    09-30-11 08:26 AM
    Your whole post has been discredited by saying Android is "non-customizable." I know there's a lot of Blackberry fanboy here, but don't just blindly bash other platform without getting your facts right.
    09-30-11 08:37 AM
    Your whole post has been discredited by saying Android is "non-customizable." I know there's a lot of Blackberry fanboy here, but don't just blindly bash other platform without getting your facts right.
    In all fairness, I believe Kasha was referring to earlier iterations of AndroidOS. If you weigh an earlier version like Eclair against something like WP7, one probably would find AndroidOS non-customizable.
    grover5 and howarmat like this.
    09-30-11 08:41 AM
    I've sold my 9900 and switched to a Galaxy S2 and while I still feel a bit of regret (as I've been a hard core BB user and promoter for the last 3 years), I can't see myself going back to BB until their next generation of phones come out.

While the 9900 hardware was great, and OS7 was a lot better, BB's strengths were not enough to keep me. But I'm speaking from a consumer aspect. If I was a business user, I for sure wouldn't switch as BB kills on email, profile, contact management and efficiency due to the keyboard.

However, while I like getting my emails fast, I don't send a lot of emails. I don't use BBM and I always used my browser more than anything else on my BB. So, having a bigger screen, more apps, a little more efficiency with tasks like installing or removing apps is enough (currently) to offset my frustrations with Android not being as efficient with certain core functionalities (can you believe Android doesn't have a spell checker for their email program!!! I can't).

So, for my type of usage, based on the current functionality of the phones on the market, I guess I'm better off with Android (I'd go with a jail broken iPhone but you can't change the battery and no SD card, and the Windows Phone just don't have it together yet in terms of software or hardware). Once (I hope and not 'if') more of the consumer functionality comes to BB I will likely switch back.

I'm switching devices on a yearly basis anyways so I'm it's not like I can't live with the Galaxy S2 for a year. It is a really nice phone (good hardware) even if Android isn't perfect. There are a lot worse things to live with.

And a note on battery life... As a heavy user, I was getting about 5-6 hours on live on my 9900 with the original battery (a little more with a second battery I bought) so I was having to switch batteries around 2-3pm. Battery life on the Galaxy S2 is a little better but you really have to know the settings to disable to max it out.
    09-30-11 08:45 AM
    Add me to the list, I was a diehard BB fan, tried a couple android phones ending with a Galaxy S, then went to a 9900. As others have said, the Galaxy is a great time waster and multimedia phone, but when I want to get anything done in a reliable manner I always end up back on the BB. Android is too unstable and unrefined still, much like Linux on the desktop 10 years ago. You do spend more time rooting/hacking/flashing and mucking about with apps than you do actually using the phone, and as others have said the battery life on the droids is terrible. Granted, when I turn on HSPA+ on my 9900 the battery lasts 8 hours TOPS. They must have used a very thirsty radio. EDGE & Wifi I get a full day.
    09-30-11 08:48 AM
    At what point in cell phone history did we start paying for brand name instead of features.
    *coughcoughcoughAPPLEcoughcoughcough*

We all pay for brand names. Generic Wal-Mart Tylenol has the exact same medication in it as real Tylenol and yet some people shell out $5 more for a bottle of name brand Tylenol than Sam's Choice Tylenol.

AFAIK, all smartphones require the additional 10 dollar premium.
    Sprint does on all their smartphones. They require that $10 data surcharge. Verizon is a flat rate for data as is AT&T. I'm not sure about TMo. Not a lot of people here have them as their service blows.
    09-30-11 09:00 AM

I am beginning to wonder... are BB users easily distracted?

It's kinda funny. We complain that we are prevented from being productive because of rooting, "mucking" around with apps and flashing. If I didn't know better, I would think Android devices came with a requirement "you must play on this!"

Hilarious.

Most Android users (the vast 99% majority) use their devices as-is out of the box. I know I am rooted, and have only flashed two different ROMs in 10 month (and I was stock till last month).

I am way more productive on my Android, but can understand if it is tough for some to get anything done done with Angry Birds installed. If it lured me so strongly, so much so that I was distracted from doing real work, I'd switch platforms too!
    pantlesspenguin and cy like this.
    09-30-11 09:02 AM
    I'm one of the Android users that didn't root, won't root. I don't play games and I don't go through a lot of apps. I just have the apps I need, set up my home screens and am done with it.

I get more done, easier with the Android than with a BlackBerry. I'll check back with Blackberry in a year or two.
    Shermdiggity and cy like this.
    09-30-11 09:13 AM
    +1 yep same here...i switched over to Android a yr or so back and hated the experience so came back to BB...actually i took out another cheap contract for the Android so still had my BB and it was my BB9700 that held my attention the most...amazing that such a backdated device, the 9700 compared to my Samsung Galaxy S kept my attention far longer than the Samsung...still makes me laugh to this day and lets not forget the absolutely diabolical battery life of Androids...i mean WTF is the point of dual core CPU's if your battery cant even last a whole day??? and screw rooting, what a royal pain in the arse that was and is to do...

Seriously i prefer my iphone4 over my Samsung Galaxy S which is now gathering dust because no one really wants it
    Ummm..your Galaxy S was not dual core..so not sure why your referencing that As far as "diabolical" battery life..every phone is different. One must do research before purchasing any product..be it BB, WinMo, it Android.

As for battery life..I'm quite happy with my once a day charge on my 4" dual core machine. I travel a lot..so its nice having a laptop..DVD player..gaming unit..ereader..all in my pocket. Getting back to the hotel after a hard days work and plugging my phone into the tv..and streaming a movie from netflix or youtube makes you realise what BB's are still lacking for general consumers. Physical keyboards and security a must ? BB's all the way. Everything else..anything else.

EDIT: And fwiw..after typing this reply on my phone..I had to email a client from my work computer which is 2hrs away. I logged onto it from my phone via the PhoneMyPC app for Android..accessed my Outlook from the laptop..attached some pdf files from that computer..and emailed them..all from that laptop which is 120 miles away from me.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 09-30-11 at 09:57 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-30-11 09:43 AM
    I'm going to get the samsung gallaxy s2 when it comes out sunday. I'll still be keeping my bold 9700 around but It's not very useful anymore (lucky if i can get 5 hrs in without needing a battery pull). I'll be patiently waiting for the day that at&t releases another good BB. Hopefully the upcoming QNX phones will be the real deal and I can get confidence in RIM again. I have a feeling that if AT&T had released the 9900 I wouldn't be making the switch to Android. AT&T has really screwed RIM both with blocking bridge and not releasing the 9900.
    Shermdiggity likes this.
    09-30-11 10:39 AM
    The 9900 is more expensive unlocked than the Galaxy SII. I'm pretty sure even people with the most basic knowledge of phone technology can understand how ridiculous that is. At what point in cell phone history did we start paying for brand name instead of features.

I mean BT is still 2.1, camera was downgraded to a fix point while retaining the same low res(for todays standards), an unnamed gpu(probably crappy one), single core cpu and even with the 8gb(which is low in comparision) internal storage app makers, like the ones making gps with voice navigation(probably another nail to the BB coffin), will not rush to put out a BB version because OS7 is basically the same old crap that they've been avoiding.

Whats the point of OS7 it's OS6 renamed FFS! Feels like RIM trying to cash in(put out expensively priced phones, lower r&d and manufacturing costs) as fast they can before they go the way of Nokia.

Not upgrading unless it's free.
    The GPU is an Adreno 205, a standard part of the Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8655 platform. A platform that is also shared with the HTC Thunderbolt and most upcoming WP7 devices.
    09-30-11 10:42 AM
145 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD