01-29-11 01:51 AM
66 123
tools
    This is absolutely my next phone, and everything is what I could have hoped for (even w/o qnx I'll survive), but when I look at the Apollo I just think its the "beauty berry" of the new ones. I can see why the Torch wasn't changed much, as it is newer, but its back plate is fantastic looking.

There isn't too much visual change in this, and I would like a little more before release. The size seems great, but maybe something a little sleeker and sexier looking.

I am, by no means, disappointed but seeing it reminds of a 4 year old phone visually with 2011 specs. I will get one, just want a face-lift for it. I like the 9700 I have better looks-wise, but the Dakota better in every category.

Just curious if any others were thinking the same.
    That said, I will have one the first day it is released in white (please, please lemme get a white one released).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 05:53 PM
    IMO I think there will be a couple upgrades in the specs before it is released. If it doesn't people will still buy it, but they need to do it because if not, it will be short lived to compete with other phones, as the other phones will have what it has too very soon.
    01-15-11 10:25 PM
    yeah I think it needs a face lift as well!!!!! it looks nice just looks old and o agree the new curve is sexy and looks the best!!!

01-15-11 10:43 PM
    I think it looks fine just how it is.

Only so much you can do to change these anyway and still keep it in the Bold line-up...IMO

01-16-11 07:39 AM
    I would prefer that they keep it the way it is. I don't like how they make the static buttons as one piece similar to how they have it on the Torch.
    01-16-11 12:29 PM
    Other manufacturers have had lack-lusture success with such a design; only Palm has been successful for any length of time - but that was a different era.
    01-16-11 01:56 PM
    This is absolutely my next phone, and everything is what I could have hoped for (even w/o qnx I'll survive), but when I look at the Apollo I just think its the "beauty berry" of the new ones. I can see why the Torch wasn't changed much, as it is newer, but its back plate is fantastic looking.

There isn't too much visual change in this, and I would like a little more before release. The size seems great, but maybe something a little sleeker and sexier looking.

I am, by no means, disappointed but seeing it reminds of a 4 year old phone visually with 2011 specs. I will get one, just want a face-lift for it. I like the 9700 I have better looks-wise, but the Dakota better in every category.

Just curious if any others were thinking the same.
    That said, I will have one the first day it is released in white (please, please lemme get a white one released).

you have no idea how much I agree with you! This design while not ugly, seems a little odd considering the way RIM is going with design. I would of expected more of a look like the 9780 at least. But this shape does look a bit old. The sides and the back will tell a lot once we get to see that, but it still resembles the old 9000 a lot. And lets not forget, even though the size was probably the best, the curves were nothing to be desired. It was clunky and not sleek! The 9700/9780 9550/20 and Pearl 3g and the 8500 series seem like designs that are decendants to the new Apollo we are seeing
    01-16-11 02:50 PM
    make it about the size of the bold 9000 and i'll be fine with it.
    01-16-11 07:26 PM
    It isnt even 'official'
    so we really dont know what the actualy specs would be.

but I am hoping for a higher res screen and a better battery
    01-16-11 07:28 PM
    ...but I am hoping for a higher res screen and a better battery
    Higher res than you've got now? Because you can't get much higher than the leaked specs.

01-16-11 08:25 PM
    I've never heard a 9000, but they say it has sound that outclasses the pack. If they can sleek it up without killing the 9000's sound, then ok. However if I'm not mistaken it will be thinner than the 9000 was an if so the sound may be as bad as the rest anyway.

01-17-11 03:22 AM
    I've never heard a 9000, but they say it has sound that outclasses the pack. If they can sleek it up without killing the 9000's sound, then ok. However if I'm not mistaken it will be thinner than the 9000 was an if so the sound may be as bad as the rest anyway.

Sound is definitely ahead of the rest. If they try match or beat the 9000, hopefully it will be a better design. Got electrical tape tape keeping the back cover from pushing my sound into kingdom come again (like I'm sure plenty of other people do as well).

On the looks, I like the old school 9000 appearance Thats probably nostalgia speaking, though.
    01-17-11 07:52 AM
    I can deal with the look... Just release the damn thing already!

01-17-11 03:03 PM
    Agreed a release now more than ever will be nice.

01-17-11 06:23 PM
    Yeah a sooner release (early Summer maybe) would be great. Gives me time for a white one to come out

Yeah, I'm partial to white phones and hopefully it will have the pearlish 9700/80 color and not a pure white like 85xx and Torch, etc.

01-17-11 07:53 PM
    in my opinian RIM is a bit lazy when desining new devices whey seem to recycling same looks all other again and playing safe all the time. I would like to see something original much more revoliutionary not the same stone age looks again. And yes we all all prefer original bb look but it is because we don't see anything new. Our mindes always do catching up like RIM does then conpared to other phone makers. But yet we stil love our BB's

01-18-11 05:40 PM
    Anyone else hope the Dakota gets an updated look before release?
    Nope, I think it looks just fine the way it is

...why mess with perfection?
    01-18-11 06:14 PM
    Nope, I think it looks just fine the way it is

...why mess with perfection?
    Perfection? That design looks like a tupperware container. I have a rhinoskin case from my old dell axim x51v that looks sleeker. Seriously - keep the size, but update the look to something this generation. Even the corners of the trackpad are more smooth.

01-19-11 06:44 AM
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

01-19-11 07:56 AM
    I would change the bezel chrome around it. It never appealed to me.

I must say, the original Bold was never my favourite BB, but I'm keen on this one.
    01-19-11 11:23 AM
    I agree with Phil. I think it looks great. Distinct and "classy" design.
    01-19-11 02:28 PM
    I understand everybody's views regarding reasons to keep/change the look a bit, but let's remember the leaked images are just that....leaks...On closer inspection they seem unfinished (almost Photoshopped)...so I really think (hope?) we'll see a modest improvement overall to match the Apollo lineup and make this a real flagship device that will last...
    01-19-11 02:54 PM
    if the Blackberry Dakota is with the Sure Press Touch Screen I am not going to be happy.......
    01-19-11 02:59 PM
    i prefer the bold 9780 black bezel instead of chrome and no touch screen.
    01-19-11 03:09 PM
    i prefer the bold 9780 black bezel instead of chrome and no touch screen.
    So, that would be a 9780 you prefer then
    01-19-11 05:05 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD