The UI is much smoother with .540 but I am beginning to realize this phone is a dud in spite of the great looks and fantastic keypad.

I have always had 5 bars with ATT. I still get 5 bars with the 9900. 4G+5 bars and I can't watch a youtube video without buffering.

It's going on 2012 and this is supposed to be the best phone RIM makes and I can't even watch a 2 minute YouTube video without the phone stopping 3 or 4 times to drop a few friends off at the lake??? .440, .474, .503, .540, it makes no difference. Sure you get a few bug fixes but does the phone "Really get USABLE"??? Or do I just sit and wait for some morons over at RIM to "Finish My Product" that I pay for each month?

WTH

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by olblueyez; 11-17-11 at 05:12 PM.
    11-17-11 05:09 PM
    Not over my network connection. Same thing, it either stutters every minute or so, or buffers... but over wifi it's fine, no stuttering or buffering.
    11-17-11 05:14 PM
    I have no stuttering on my Network in Venezuela and it not the fastest in the world.. it maximum 2-3 MB at night and at day 1 MB and I can see youtube perfect
    11-17-11 05:36 PM
    Youtube having to buffer has nothing to do with the OS, it has everything to do with your carrier. Also having 5 bars on 4G does not mean you are getting full bandwidth from your carrier. I am running H+ on Virgin Mobile and depending on which cell tower I am on, what data load the tower is dealing with and how many users, this dictates my video stream stability. I hardly ever buffer on my HSPA network. Sorry to say OP but your carrier is the problem.
    Last edited by bermont; 11-17-11 at 05:41 PM.
    11-17-11 05:37 PM
    I just tried a two minute clip for the movie "Brave" on my 9900 on TMO and then on wifi...no buffering here. You might be directing your anger at the wrong company.
    11-17-11 05:52 PM
    Not over my network connection. Same thing, it either stutters every minute or so, or buffers... but over wifi it's fine, no stuttering or buffering.
    Do you turn your cellular radio off when your using WiFi? I have used it with 4G and WiFi on at the same time and although it is a bit better it is no solution. I have tried WiFi 5.8 alone, WiFi 2.4 alone, WiFi 5.8 & 2.4 concurrent but I still don't feel like its a true solution. I stream Hi-Def movies and surf the web on my desktop at the same time and they both run perfect. My cable gets me 30MB Down and 4MB Up. WEP, WPA, WPA2. Its like what's the magic combo? My 5.8 only streams video and my desktop is gigabit so I don't really need to have the 2.4 radio on but 2.4 has better range and the signal doesn't bounce up and down as much so I have been streaming video on the 5.8 band and using the BlackBerry on 2.4. I could lower WPA2 to WPA or WEP but then the speed drops on the router.

I am really enjoying being able to have all the app room I want and the ocassional video but I rather not have the video stopping and starting, and sometimes it stops for good. Is that what is happening to the Android people? Whatcha think?

Last edited by olblueyez; 11-17-11 at 06:13 PM.
    11-17-11 06:08 PM
    I watched the unboxing of the Porshe designed BB from youtube earlier today and had no problems. It took about 15, maybe 20, seconds to grab it and load, but after that the video ran smoothly without stopping to buffer. I was not on wifi either.
    Hope you figure out what's going on!
    11-17-11 09:43 PM
    Do you turn your cellular radio off when your using WiFi?
    Nope, my mobile network is always left on with wifi.

I've no idea what the settings are for my router, as I've never checked... and probably wouldn't understand it if I did
    11-17-11 09:48 PM
    No buffering here. Even playing mp3 audio "music" over the video. Both smooth as silk LOL! Ain't the hardware.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 10:48 PM
    Just watched 10 min youtube video. No issues on WiFi. I turned off the WiFi and watched a 7 minute video on H+. No issues with that either.
    11-18-11 04:13 AM
    No issues on wifi and 3G. Never saw buffering after the 1st second
    11-18-11 04:56 AM
    When I'm using VZW 3G it stutters and is unplayable. Over Wifi it seems fine. It's all about the speed of the network you are on.....

11-18-11 08:24 AM
    I have full 3G signal with orange in the uk and just now watched 2 4min+ videoclips without a single stutter

Each took approximately 10 seconds to initially buffer, which is slightly more than my iphone 4 required but I certainly wouldn't say its a dissapointing speed/service.

I know its equally good over wifi at home as I played a youtube vid for the missus on sunday and again it played almost instaneously and required no buffering. Webpages load quickly too.

I am and always have been suitably impressed with the nicest looking phone on the market.

Mobile operators can and sometimes do throttle speeds so just because you see full signal on the screen - don't expect 20mbps speeds..

11-18-11 09:10 AM
    The UI is much smoother with .540 but I am beginning to realize this phone is a dud in spite of the great looks and fantastic keypad.

I have always had 5 bars with ATT. I still get 5 bars with the 9900. 4G+5 bars and I can't watch a youtube video without buffering.

It's going on 2012 and this is supposed to be the best phone RIM makes and I can't even watch a 2 minute YouTube video without the phone stopping 3 or 4 times to drop a few friends off at the lake??? .440, .474, .503, .540, it makes no difference. Sure you get a few bug fixes but does the phone "Really get USABLE"??? Or do I just sit and wait for some morons over at RIM to "Finish My Product" that I pay for each month?

WTH
    My 9900 with .540 plays YouTube videos over 3G fine. I suspect the problem is your over-congested network, not your phone.
    11-18-11 09:24 AM
    Besides the initial 5 second buffering, mine plays just fine over vzw 3g. No stuttering or buffering once its started.
    11-18-11 09:24 AM
    Ok so I am getting that it isn't my phone. I do live in Northern VA where we have a gillion cellular users and the worst traffic in the country. I should also mention it seems to be related to certain times of the day. Without paying much attention to this it seems rush hour and or the dinner hours are the worst times.

11-18-11 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD