Hiya,
    Just wondering if anybody from the UK who is on Vodafone has got H+ yet?
    I get full bar 3G pretty much all of the time and that is really fast, just wondering what kind of speeds H+ gets haha!
    09-06-11 07:42 AM
    DangerMouse UK who works for Voda has already posted about this.

Apparently we are getting H+, but the icon isn't showing for us yet.

He says this should be sorted in future .4xx software updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    __V__ likes this.
    09-06-11 07:57 AM
    If we're not getting H+ already, I'm still pretty impressed with the speed

__V__ likes this.
    09-06-11 08:07 AM
    If your 9900 shows H+

it is broken
    09-06-11 08:18 AM

OMG woah, that might be H+ haha thats ace!
    09-06-11 08:31 AM
    It has been bantered back and forth between us and RIM for the 4XX series that are being tested built now.

Even if the H+ is not being shown it is just a moniker/marketing device, your device is still operating at HSPA speeds. We just don't call the UK network HSPA+ @ 14.4 (as the ratified standard is in the 21mbps range) like some networks around the world do, and it doesn't register as one. Nor do we route voice calls over it when we have other routes available, nor will the phone sit idle on it with no data or voice call in place.

In essence the way European networks work is slightly different to the way the North American networks work.

I will keep you posted as the discussions unfold though !
    bigbamboo and __V__ like this.
    09-06-11 08:40 AM
    That test can't really be used to measure network speeds on a BlackBerry, as data goes through RIM's servers and not over the network.

It still looks impressive though

09-06-11 08:42 AM
    I like the image Phil !

So you finally jumped on the 9900 bandwagon ?

Underwhelmed or loving it ?

I'm still on the fence about this one, the 9810 and the playbook I'm testing currently.
    09-06-11 08:47 AM

WOW, I hate Canadian service providers..... Telus WITH the stupid H+ I get less than Basic DSL which is around 1127 kbs. I don't get what I paid for in Canada thanks to CRTC who blocks competition.
    09-06-11 08:56 AM
    I like the image Phil !

So you finally jumped on the 9900 bandwagon ?

Underwhelmed or loving it ?

I'm still on the fence about this one, the 9810 and the playbook I'm testing currently.
    Yeah, I finally gave into the urge DM... and I'm lovin' it

I was holding off to check out the 9790, but got offered the 9900 on such a sweet tarrif that I couldn't resist it.

Just wish they left the 9810 with the same dark bezel and battery door as the 9800. Might have considered it then.

09-06-11 09:04 AM
    You're not missing much the 9900 is better out of the two. The PlayBook however is a much harder device to rate highly at the moment. I'm basically using it as a glorified media player/internet browser. And we're going to apparently be selling this thing direct soon. Brilliant !
    09-06-11 09:06 AM
    I'm on a Rogers Canada (3G/H+ Bands 1,2,5,6) on T-Mobile in the UK and showing mobilespeedtest.com H+ and speeds of 17+MB. Great.

-I bought my wife an O2 9900 (bands 2,4,8 etc?) and she is on 3G only and maxing out at 4MB or less.

If I change her rom to mine will that speed her up too? Some people are saying that the bands are Hardware related?

To be honest, for a smart phone, anything over 1MB is just fine for download speeds as browser are not that fast. I can tell 0 difference doing browser tests between the 3G and H+, but I just wanted to if the firmware update would put her on H+ too?
    09-07-11 05:33 AM
    -I bought my wife an O2 9900 (bands 2,4,8 etc?) and she is on 3G only and maxing out at 4MB or less.

If I change her rom to mine will that speed her up too? Some people are saying that the bands are Hardware related?

To be honest, for a smart phone, anything over 1MB is just fine for download speeds as browser are not that fast. I can tell 0 difference doing browser tests between the 3G and H+, but I just wanted to if the firmware update would put her on H+ too?
    The bands are hardware related, but the software would work fine on both, incidentally the o2 device would be bands 1,4,8 because the UK bands are 1 and 8.

You would not actually increase the speed of the o2 device by changing the software because it comes down to what the network supports in that particular location and no 9900 software would actually block hspa+.

If your Rogers device is not simlocked and you aren't just simply roaming on t-mobile uk, you could just put the o2 uk sim in that device and you would see that the speed was unchanged.
    09-07-11 06:30 AM
    You sure its not bands 1,4,8 ?

Shouldn't be band 2 for a UK GSM model.

(Band 2 : 1900mhz)
    09-07-11 09:53 AM
    Thanks Danger Mouse,
    Yes you are right,my wife has UK O2 Phone- T-mobile UK SIM, Bands are 1,4,8, and therefore no chance of getting H+ ever (good news is she wont know that...)

I have the Rogers Canada Phone, (with 3G/H+ Bands 1,2,5,6) on T-Mobile UK and I get H+ Speeds. Moral of the lesson, if you want H+, make sure to get a hardware with 3G/H+ Bands 1,2,5,6....

Many thanks for the update and I now know that I cannot change her to H+ with another software update.

Thanks!
    tdleon likes this.
    09-07-11 11:17 AM
    I'm on a Rogers Canada (3G/H+ Bands 1,2,5,6) on T-Mobile in the UK and showing mobilespeedtest.com H+ and speeds of 17+MB. Great.

Where did you buy your phone from?
    09-07-11 11:46 AM
    Where did you buy your phone from?
    I bought one from canada (Rogers) and the 02 one from ebay for 390 gbp

09-07-11 02:19 PM
    no no - she can get H+ with those bands, as she only needs band 1 (2100mhz) to get HSPA, even band 8 (900mhz) is fully compatible with HSPA+

Its just marketing on the Rogers phones, the UK variants support the speeds, just not the logo, yet !
    09-07-11 06:17 PM
    Also for anyone who cares to know about 3G Bands :

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-07-11 06:22 PM

I am the user of 9900 in Hong Kong. I don't have the H+ icon on my 9900 too. I tried to test the speed. The result is just 400 kbps if I am running 100KB testing. But, the testing result will be much better to 8065KBps if I am running the 5MB testing. I don't know the reason behind......can someone advise?

Also, what is the testing you are running for the result you got in your posted screen?
    09-08-11 04:51 AM
    Vodafone UK I had 1 bar of signal lol

09-08-11 05:42 AM
    We aim to be speedy
    09-08-11 09:02 AM
    We aim to be speedy
    It's a tad slow today

Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-08-11 at 10:28 AM.
    09-08-11 09:32 AM
    Does look like just the Rogers Bold 9900 is getting H+ speeds at the moment unless someone else can post their speeds.

The Galaxy S2 has a hard time holding H as well and is constantly switching back and forth between H and 3G. Found out from a person here locally in Taiwan that all their phones have a hardware bug in them.
    09-08-11 10:19 AM
    Does look like just the Rogers Bold 9900 is getting H+ speeds at the moment unless someone else can post their speeds.
    Nope, mine is a Vodafone UK 9900 and as you can clearly see from my captions... I'm getting H+ speeds just fine.

The only thing we don't get is the H+ icon, which DangerMouse has already explained is just a North American marketing gimmick
    09-08-11 10:27 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD