How is it outdated?
    Yes. It's outdated for a device being released in Mid 2011.... at least in some hardware categories. The OS is still very much outdated though. If any question there see QNX
    08-03-11 12:28 PM
    As a BB fan boy I am fairly disappointed in the price w/ the 2 yr contract. I dont think Ive ever paid more than $199 for a phone - be it the several BB's I have had, the droid or the iphone I purchased. I can afford the $299 but its the point that we have had to wait a year for this new line of phones and now that they are finally releasing them they want $100 more than the nearest droid or iphone competitor? On top of that the OS will be discontinued (support will continue Im sure) in approx 1-1.5 years.Thats booty.

So I guess I will be sticking with my 9650. Sorely disappointed RIM.
    08-03-11 01:17 PM
    Since ATT will be last to market with the phone, and has exclusive rights to the Torch (which many ATT reps/people push as the flagship BB), hopefully they come in at $199 - $249 on contract.

We'll see.
    08-03-11 01:27 PM
    As a BB fan boy I am fairly disappointed in the price w/ the 2 yr contract. I dont think Ive ever paid more than $199 for a phone - be it the several BB's I have had, the droid or the iphone I purchased. I can afford the $299 but its the point that we have had to wait a year for this new line of phones and now that they are finally releasing them they want $100 more than the nearest droid or iphone competitor? On top of that the OS will be discontinued (support will continue Im sure) in approx 1-1.5 years.Thats booty.

So I guess I will be sticking with my 9650. Sorely disappointed RIM.
    I haven't even seen pricing from Verizon yet. And if the price is still high I would be more mad at Verizon but there is a whole thread on that already.

I have a feeling that Verizon will offer a bigger rebate from what I have noticed in the past.
    08-03-11 01:27 PM
    I haven't even seen pricing from Verizon yet. And if the price is still high I would be more mad at Verizon but there is a whole thread on that already.

I have a feeling that Verizon will offer a bigger rebate from what I have noticed in the past.
    I sure hope so. I point my frustration at both RIM and Verizon. RIM for offering the suggested retail point so high - and Verizon for not offering the rebates to bring it down.
    08-03-11 01:38 PM
    Let's wait first and see what appears when the dust settles. I find it hard to believe TMO USA will actually charge this much when their current most expensive phones are just $199 on contract.
    08-03-11 02:05 PM
    Yep.

There also seems to be some confusion in the comments on the actual article... I had to squint really hard but I saw $349 - a $50 mail in rebate.
    08-03-11 02:11 PM
    It's relative. We're used to paying BIG dollars for outright/non contract phones. e.g. The 9780 still has a RRP of $629 AUD ($691 USD) here.

They want $749 AUD (or $823USD) for the 9930 outright here.

I can buy it unlocked and imported from the UK for less than $645AUD. So, that's probably the way I'll go.

Warranty and it's value to you is the difference.
    You can buy a Bold 9700 at Walmart for $198 brand new.

I'm sure the carriers are still charging $500 for one.
    08-03-11 02:19 PM
    LOL. And what do you think the price should be.

Damn I fed a troll.
    Honestly it should be $99 max on a two year.

3 year contract in Canada should always be 0$.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-03-11 02:33 PM
    Honestly it should be $99 max on a two year.

3 year contract in Canada should always be 0$.
    All phones or just this Blackberry.
    08-03-11 02:55 PM
    $299 is what I paid for my Bold 9000 about three years ago. Not surprised, not disappointed. Although I think it had a $100 mail-in rebate, and I got another $75 back for trading in the Curve. Hey, it is what it is; buy it, or don't.
    Exactly. I also paid $300 before rebate for my 8900 about 2.5 years ago. And this was with a stronger USD. So it was comparatively more expensive.

And like the 9900, the 8900 had the best specs (in many ways) in the Blackberry lineup at the time of it's launch.

And just like the 8900, and the 9000 before it, the 9900 with start high, drop soon enough, and people will continue to complain about everything.
    Last edited by Xader; 08-03-11 at 03:13 PM.
    08-03-11 03:08 PM
    Honestly, IF the 9900 is $300 I will most likely move on. I'm already on the fence with this new Bold as it is so I was expecting $200 intro price.

Having said that, consumers have A LOT more power than some may think. If WE want the price to drop, then we have the power to make it drop.

Instead of thinking you MUST have this at launch, simply hold out. RIM has been making us wait long enough, what's one more week or more? The price will drop if enough of us simply don't buy it the first week of launch date. The carriers will freak out and instead of making 4 or 5 times profit, they may reduce the price to make a "modest" 3 or 4 times profit.

I say we all boycott the $300 price point...if that is truly going to be the opening "bid" and force them to come down. Why not do this if the price is even $200? Heck, with the internet and instant communication, consumers can do this with ALL new products and drive down the prices of these ridiculous "gotta have it" items.

Power to the people! Lol! Simple supply and demand tactics and nothing more.
    08-03-11 03:19 PM
    Moderately, but $50 (or $100) is not a deal breaker, considering how much I use/rely on my BB.
    08-03-11 03:22 PM
    Moderately, but $50 (or $100) is not a deal breaker, considering how much I use/rely on my BB.
    I feel most will agree with you too. But it's not about walking away from BB entirely, it's simply holding off the purchase for at least 1 week. If the masses do this, the price could drop considerably. The carriers won't know what is happening and will most likely want to move these phones off their shelves and offer a discount immediately.

We all have phones now, so waiting a little while longer isn't the end of the world. We can't get the 9900 today and we're all okay.

How do we get ourselves to start thinking differently? It would take a collective effort and a lot of patience. Which I will be the first one to admit...I don't have much of. I'll also be the first one to hold off my purchase. At this point I can afford it even if it was a lot more than $300. But these prices keep going up and I don't know if I will be in that same position down the road.

It would be fun just to see what happens if no one or at least the masses didn't line up to buy the 9900 on opening day. Then do this with the iPhone on it's launch date. It would be like a mini "Tech-Revolution" - lol!
    08-03-11 03:42 PM
    08-03-11 04:43 PM
    Roger wont do that, it'll just be 199.99 on a 3 year contract as usual -_-
    08-03-11 04:52 PM
    Yes. It's outdated for a device being released in Mid 2011.... at least in some hardware categories. The OS is still very much outdated though. If any question there see QNX
    oh so you have already tried out a device with os7 on it to come to the conclusion that its outdated? How does it perform? Thought so. I know its your opinion but I will save my opinion until I actually try to use one of the new devices. I wish more people did that but then again not many people are that smart. Don't get me wrong I am not a fanboy so you can keep that bullsh#t to yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 05:33 PM
    Are people so poor ?
    I would buy this off contract, its about $650 where i live , oh well,
    nite732 likes this.
    08-03-11 05:36 PM
    We can all think Mr. Obama for this and his stimulus bill. Shovel ready jobs, I'm still laughing about that one.
    Please that stimulus plan was before Obama,the only thing that shovel is needed for is to go upside your head. now back to business !!!!
    08-03-11 06:05 PM
    Honestly, IF the 9900 is $300 I will most likely move on. I'm already on the fence with this new Bold as it is so I was expecting $200 intro price.

Having said that, consumers have A LOT more power than some may think. If WE want the price to drop, then we have the power to make it drop.

Instead of thinking you MUST have this at launch, simply hold out. RIM has been making us wait long enough, what's one more week or more? The price will drop if enough of us simply don't buy it the first week of launch date. The carriers will freak out and instead of making 4 or 5 times profit, they may reduce the price to make a "modest" 3 or 4 times profit.

I say we all boycott the $300 price point...if that is truly going to be the opening "bid" and force them to come down. Why not do this if the price is even $200? Heck, with the internet and instant communication, consumers can do this with ALL new products and drive down the prices of these ridiculous "gotta have it" items.

Power to the people! Lol! Simple supply and demand tactics and nothing more.

You really think the carriers will freak out including AT&T knowing they could have the Iphone 5 out by that time ( I know it's speculation and still too early to know anything)but, they will just push customers to get Iphone or Android if enough people don't buy their new BB that first week...they did that with me, but I stood my ground.
    Last edited by calicocat2010; 08-03-11 at 06:20 PM.
    08-03-11 06:17 PM
    You really think the carriers will freak out including AT&T knowing they could have the Iphone 5 out by that time ( I know it's speculation and still too early to know anything)but, they will just push customers to get Iphone or Android if enough people don't buy their new BB that first week...they did that with me, but I stood my ground.
    True...but that's why I said we should be doing this with "...all new products" so that when other devices come out like the iPhone5, then consumers collectively boycott the new releases. Eventually this will wear off once the carries figure out what we're doing but if we did it right, it could really, really work.

Also, in another post I specifically mentioned the iPhone5 realese date and doing the same thing with them.
    It would be fun just to see what happens if no one or at least the masses didn't line up to buy the 9900 on opening day. Then do this with the iPhone on it's launch date. It would be like a mini "Tech-Revolution" - lol!
    If I had to bet though...it would be more difficult to organize with some groups (fanboys) than others. Lol...not saying which ones who would cooperate.

Consumers are VERY powerful and WE can help DRIVE the prices up or down.
    08-03-11 06:34 PM
    Are people so poor ?
    I would buy this off contract, its about $650 where i live , oh well,

Wow...ignorance is bliss, isn't it!?
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-03-11 06:36 PM
    oh so you have already tried out a device with os7 on it to come to the conclusion that its outdated? How does it perform? Thought so. I know its your opinion but I will save my opinion until I actually try to use one of the new devices. I wish more people did that but then again not many people are that smart. Don't get me wrong I am not a fanboy so you can keep that bullsh#t to yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    As you said, you're each entitled to your own opinion, so I don't think calling his "b***sh**" is really necessary. Some people merely feel that OS7 really isn't much of a change from OS6. That shouldn't affect your opinion of it though, you can still enjoy the device all the same so there's really no reason to get worked up about it.
    08-03-11 06:38 PM
    People pay for what they want. I paid 700 for the original Iphone, 750 for a nokia n5 and 800 for a htc hd2 with att bands. I can still get about 200 for each of those phones. 599 not bad.
    08-03-11 06:49 PM
    Woah that sucks. Here in the UK you get the phone free on a 2 year contract starting at �31 a month. 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb data. For �36 you get the same but with 1000 minutes.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    08-03-11 06:52 PM
283 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD