To think that RIM has nothing to do with the pricing would be wrong. I manage a national brand and we work with the retailers to determine pricing. Average unit retail, initial margin, competition pricing is all considered. JCP will not retial my product for higher than thier competition and the retail is determined by how much margin they are getting.

Someone at RIM is pricing the bold at a higher price point and the carriers are expecting it will sell at that price. If it doesnt, the price will drop and RIM will be in trouble because the carriers expect an ROI. If they dont get it, they will go looking to RIM to make up the difference.

Its risky for sure. On its face, doesnt seem like the bold should be priced at the same level as a 32GB Iphone 4. But hey, lets see how good it is. I was thining 199 on contract.
    08-05-11 11:18 AM
    Because you have to understand that blackberrys are not on par with $300 iPhones and Droids. The iPhone and droids at $300 have 32 gb of memory and all the droids above $200 are 4G LTE (on verizon).

And ok we won't buy it. I love how RIM fanboys just say "oh don't buy it than". If no one buys it than GOOD BYE RIM. They already have tanked. RIM fanboys alone can't keep RIM from surviving. Even Android sells so many phones b.c they have phones in the whole price range ($0-$300)

So let me say this again NO BLACKBERRY WILL SELL WELL AT $300 ON CONTRACT.

But than again i could care less about tmobile's $300 price since verizon ALWAYS prices the BOLD and Curve Cheaper than AT&T and TMobile. Only 4G phones go over the $199.99 barrier.
    Funny I get called a blackberry fan boy when I currently own an iPhone4, a Samsung Charge and a Droid Incredible 2. And not one Blackberry.

Bringing common sense into a discussion? What are you thinking.
    Right! What was I thinking. Common sense isn't as common as one would think.
    08-05-11 12:45 PM
    Blackberry is trying to get new customers or more people to stay with blackberry. I went into T-Mobile today and they have a bunch of offers on blackberry phones and deals etc.

If you buy a new blackberry, and give them your old one. You can get up to $120 mail in rebate.. etc.

T-Mobile Trade In and Trade Up
    08-05-11 01:44 PM
    If it was RIM then why would they purposely set the price "too high" then offer large amounts on trade-ins? All it does is run the customers through hoops and provide RIM with dumpsters full of old phones.

I am going to assume it's the carriers. You know, the guys who let their greed have them butchering the software they are provided. The same software that has rendered millions of devices useless before people even get them home. Software that cripples capabilities and uses up precious resources the Blackberry devices could not spare. And then to top it off they can't have "a person" spend a few days on each device making real OS improvements that make drastic improvements. People here at Crackberry create these OS's and the carrier can't? That is pure crap. They don't give a rats azz about customers, THEY WANT YOUR MONEY!!! Look at Verizon customer service and tell me Verizon is interested in having the price lower and RIM is forcing them to keep it high.

Put the bottle down.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-05-11 at 02:42 PM.
    08-05-11 02:35 PM
    If it was RIM then why would they purposely set the price "too high" then offer large amounts on trade-ins? All it does is run the customers through hoops and provide RIM with dumpsters full of old phones.

I am going to assume it's the carriers. You know, the guys who let their greed have them butchering the software they are provided. The same software that has rendered millions of devices useless before people even get them home. Software that cripples capabilities and uses up precious resources the Blackberry devices could not spare. And then to top it off they can't have "a person" spend a few days on each device making real OS improvements that make drastic improvements. People here at Crackberry create these OS's and the carrier can't? That is pure crap. They don't give a rats azz about customers, THEY WANT YOUR MONEY!!! Look at Verizon customer service and tell me Verizon is interested in having the price lower and RIM is forcing them to keep it high.

Put the bottle down.
    Right, the carriers are money hungry bastards and RIM is a non profit just trying to promote love and harmony.
    08-05-11 03:35 PM
    Right, the carriers are money hungry bastards and RIM is a non profit just trying to promote love and harmony.
    These devices are not being purchased yet because the carriers are busy stuffing them with useless crap and figuring out how to ring every last dime out of all the features the phone has to offer. RIM doesn't do that, the carriers do it. Why do you think they all have different OS's for the same hardware? Funny how a British carrier is likely to be first and att last.

garment69;6541842 did you have a point to make? Besides "RIM is in business to make money"? Also, what does your point, if you can call it that, have to do with carriers butchering the phones so they can make money on features and services they charge the public for? RIM doesn't make any money from att doing a hatchet job on your GPS software and charging you extra for an att app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 03:47 PM
    Blackberry is trying to get new customers or more people to stay with blackberry. I went into T-Mobile today and they have a bunch of offers on blackberry phones and deals etc.

If you buy a new blackberry, and give them your old one. You can get up to $120 mail in rebate.. etc.

T-Mobile Trade In and Trade Up
    Verizon had something like this not long ago but, for any phone. I put in my iphone's specs and condition and they offered $30 short of the max offer. But, if they offer you the full $120 then go for it. Verizon sure wouldn't give it to you.
    08-05-11 03:47 PM
    Hmmm, just got off the phone with Sprint for a website issue and in passing asked what the 9930 would be selling for....
    ....For what it's worth I was told $199.00.

Perhaps the price issue isn't an issue after-all.
    08-05-11 04:20 PM
    I would pay $1,000 if the phone was available today, $300 with a 2 year? Very nice
    08-05-11 04:33 PM
    Hmmm, just got off the phone with Sprint for a website issue and in passing asked what the 9930 would be selling for....
    ....For what it's worth I was told $199.00.

Perhaps the price issue isn't an issue after-all.
    What?!?!?!?! People jumping the gun and ******** about something?! That doesn't happen at all.
    08-05-11 04:40 PM
    I would pay $1,000 if the phone was available today, $300 with a 2 year? Very nice
    This is why the initial price will be high. Grab extra $$'s off impulse buyers.
    08-05-11 04:41 PM
    It's going to be $499 with a $300 instant rebate. Haha.
    08-05-11 05:01 PM
    This is why the initial price will be high. Grab extra $$'s off impulse buyers.
    People who buy right off the bat are not automatically inpulse buyers. Some of us have the money and have been waiting quite a while for this phone. So we will get it when it finally becomes available. Impulse buyers are people who walk into a store not knowing they want this phone and impulsively buy it. Us posting here know about this phone and have been anticipating the buy. That's a methodically thought out purchase.
    Yung_Dilla and rockyroad55 like this.
    08-05-11 05:45 PM
    People who buy "right off the bat" with a rebate and trade in pay the same price people will be paying for quite some time.

Why do people who can't afford stuff have to constantly moan about others who can? The 400 families who own the US send about 70 billion off shore before taxes each year and everyone is bent about who gets a mobile first? Wtf!

08-06-11 02:49 AM
    People who buy "right off the bat" with a rebate and trade in pay the same price people will be paying for quite some time.

Why do people who can't afford stuff have to constantly moan about others who can? The 400 families who own the US send about 70 billion off shore before taxes each year and everyone is bent about who gets a mobile first? Wtf!

Who said we couldn't afford it? **** i can go buy 10 of them at full retail without any care. BUT it's about VALUE. It is not WORTH $300 to me. Especially if its $550 full retail. A 4g lte droid or a 32 gb iphone is WORTH $300, not a Blackberry that is playing catch up in specs, rebranded OS 6 to OS 7, and still has no applications, and main selling points are email and bbm.
    08-06-11 09:42 AM
    Then what are you doing on a Blackberry forum?

Funny how the ones who claim to have all the money value their time so little.

Who is "we"? Is that you speaking for people who don't have enough room in the budget for a 9900?

I got it, I got it, I got it, I know what you should do so you get that value your lookin for.

Wait for QNX,,...!!!!!
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-06-11 at 10:50 AM.
    08-06-11 10:00 AM
    Then what are you doing on a Blackberry forum?

Funny how the ones who claim to have all the money value their time so little.

Who is "we"? Is that you speaking for people who don't have enough room in the budget for a 9900?

I got it, I got it, I got it, I know what you should do so you get that value your lookin for.

Wait for QNX,,...!!!!!
    I still have a blackberry for my work phone so it's a necessity. Not a choice.

And im not on this forum much so yeah.

And no im talking about the smarter people that know NO blackberry is worth $300 on contract. But than again if blackberry released a phone at $500 with a contract you would probably think it was fine right?

Ehh i dont mind the OS as it is now. I just need a few more apps and a better browser. i really am not a huge fan of QNX. If i wanted QNX id rather go get a Palm WebOS phone (garbage hardware though) since it's a crappier verison of Web OS.
    08-06-11 10:54 AM
    Ok so after reading 13 pages of this thread i must educate everuone about some stuff:

1) RIM DOESN'T SET THE PRICES OF THE PHONES, THE CARRIERS DO. This has never been any different and wont change any time soon.

2) WHAT DO PAST DEVICES HAVE TO DO WITH THESE ONES?! Do not bring short comings of an older device and say it will happen on the newer ones. This new lineup of bb's put all past devices to shame with its hardware. Its simple, if you haven't used them or read enough about them, then do not compare to previous devices as these are in another league.

3) YOU CANNOT HAVE ALL FEATURES OF EVERY PHONE! Just as how the iPhones and Androids dont have a good battery life and any decent qwerty keyboards, bb's also have their flaws (such as allocated app storage). If every phone was made with 2g processor and 4" touch screen running os over9000 then the manufactures would have to top that device the next year and so on, and users wouldnt buy a new phone every year or 2. Look at the first iPhone and compare it to the current iPhone and see how they added features slowly over time to build a foundation.

4) WHAT THE HECK DOES MARKET SHARE HAVE TO DO WITH THE PHONES?! When i saw these new devices i was like "OMG SHINEY BBZZZZZZZ!!!" and then proceeded to YouTube/Google search images and videos of the phone and its features. I didn't go on Google and search their market share or their stock prices!!! Buy a phone that works for you, not the most popular one on the market with the fastest processor! **** guys get real! When people see your phone they just ask u "which model it is and how much u get it for?" Thats it! If you think RIM is dead, that's good for you, here's a cookie, but i fail to understand what that has to do with the phone being a good upgrade or not.

5) STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE! The title for this topic is "is anybody else dissapointed with the 9900 price point?" No where do i see "hey guys, just wanted to make this post so we can insult each other about our opinions." Please this is a forum and its every members right and privilege to post, but its also a responsibility to keep on topic. All other discussions can be done in another topic or PM.

6) LOVE HOW YOU GUYS ARE MAKING FUN OF THE POOR, REAL CLASSY. Seriously, really? If a guy doesn't wanna buy a case it makes him poor? I dont even wanna talk about this because its just ignorant of these people to say that. Be ashamed of yourself.

Please guys, calm down and stay on topic.
    Last edited by vsharm01; 08-06-11 at 02:14 PM.
    08-06-11 02:08 PM
    Ok so after reading 13 pages of this thread i must educate everuone about some stuff:

1) RIM DOESN'T SET THE PRICES OF THE PHONES, THE CARRIERS DO. This has never been any different and wont change any time soon.

2) WHAT DO PAST DEVICES HAVE TO DO WITH THESE ONES?! Do not bring short comings of an older device and say it will happen on the newer ones. This new lineup of bb's put all past devices to shame with its hardware. Its simple, if you haven't used them or read enough about them, then do not compare to previous devices as these are in another league.

3) YOU CANNOT HAVE ALL FEATURES OF EVERY PHONE! Just as how the iPhones and Androids dont have a good battery life and any decent qwerty keyboards, bb's also have their flaws (such as allocated app storage). If every phone was made with 2g processor and 4" touch screen running os over9000 then the manufactures would have to top that device the next year and so on, and users wouldnt buy a new phone every year or 2. Look at the first iPhone and compare it to the current iPhone and see how they added features slowly over time to build a foundation.

4) WHAT THE HECK DOES MARKET SHARE HAVE TO DO WITH THE PHONES?! When i saw these new devices i was like "OMG SHINEY BBZZZZZZZ!!!" and then proceeded to YouTube/Google search images and videos of the phone and its features. I didn't go on Google and search their market share or their stock prices!!! Buy a phone that works for you, not the most popular one on the market with the fastest processor! **** guys get real! When people see your phone they just ask u "which model it is and how much u get it for?" Thats it! If you think RIM is dead, that's good for you, here's a cookie, but i fail to understand what that has to do with the phone being a good upgrade or not.

5) STAY ON TOPIC PEOPLE! The title for this topic is "is anybody else dissapointed with the 9900 price point?" No where do i see "hey guys, just wanted to make this post so we can insult each other about our opinions." Please this is a forum and its every members right and privilege to post, but its also a responsibility to keep on topic. All other discussions can be done in another topic or PM.

6) LOVE HOW YOU GUYS ARE MAKING FUN OF THE POOR, REAL CLASSY. Seriously, really? If a guy doesn't wanna buy a case it makes him poor? I dont even wanna talk about this because its just ignorant of these people to say that. Be ashamed of yourself.

Please guys, calm down and stay on topic.
    Ok well let me educate you a little since i guarantee some of your points are wrong. BTW just FYI, i get my information straight from experience in the industry. Worked 8 years in this cell phone business through different carriers and currently own my own Verizon Store.

1. Rim doesn't set the price but they do help the carriers in determining the initial price. This has always been the way it's been done. They don't control carriers sales; etc but they do have a say in the initial pricing.

2. They are in another league? isn't that the same thing we've been hearing for the past 2 years? "oh the next webkit browser is soooo much better; etc blah blah blah". Of course past devices have to do a lot with it ESPECIALLY when the software IS THE SAME, all that has been changed is hardware, granted with up to date hardware thank god.

3. My iPhone has a better battery life than my Bold 9650. The only Blackberry that has good battery life is the 9000/9700. The curve, storm, and Verizon bold aren't that great.

4. What does market share have to do with this? Well it shows how blackberry is lacking and more people are picking other OS's.

5. Agreed.

6. Agreed.
    08-06-11 02:56 PM
    Ok well let me educate you a little since i guarantee some of your points are wrong. BTW just FYI, i get my information straight from experience in the industry. Worked 8 years in this cell phone business through different carriers and currently own my own Verizon Store.

1. Rim doesn't set the price but they do help the carriers in determining the initial price. This has always been the way it's been done. They don't control carriers sales; etc but they do have a say in the initial pricing.

2. They are in another league? isn't that the same thing we've been hearing for the past 2 years? "oh the next webkit browser is soooo much better; etc blah blah blah". Of course past devices have to do a lot with it ESPECIALLY when the software IS THE SAME, all that has been changed is hardware, granted with up to date hardware thank god.

3. My iPhone has a better battery life than my Bold 9650. The only Blackberry that has good battery life is the 9000/9700. The curve, storm, and Verizon bold aren't that great.

4. What does market share have to do with this? Well it shows how blackberry is lacking and more people are picking other OS's.

5. Agreed.

6. Agreed.
    1) Did i say otherwise? No. They have a say, but carries set the prices.

2) The new devices are in another league from other blackberry devices. sorry if you couldn't put that together.

3) The ONLY iphone vs 5 bb devices in battery live and i guarantee 3 of them will beat the iphone in battery life. If i need to,i just have a spare in my bag pocket. Do you carry a spare iphone in yours?

4) You are looking at market share for only one region, look at asia, look at north america, look at africa. Regions like africa and asia have more bb users because the data plans are dirt cheap and the phones are available easily. They use them because of the battery life and because the security and reliability, not to mention unlimited data plans and all.

Not arguing with you, just showing you both sides of the story. You are right in a way but not the whole way through.
    08-06-11 03:06 PM
    The biggest market outside the US is based upon "texting" and that RIM has the corner on that market should not be a shock to anyone. I would say RIM has produced the best keyboard for a phone in the world and combined with the way their products last ( value ) and proven battery life this is a no-brainer.

Unfortunately the business community needs much more out of a phone these days than the ability to "text"...
    ...My wife is from the PL and EVERYONE there mostly uses text to communicate and there are berry's as far as the eye can see!

Does RIM want to be known as the 3rd world's texting phone of choice or does it want to be known as the maker of a "business phone" that can take care of business better than any other phone on the planet AND text better than everything out there?
    08-06-11 03:24 PM
    What does it matter if people in developing countries use it? Point is that they use it over the iPhones and Android devices that are "soo affordable and convenient."

Masahiro likes this.
    08-06-11 05:48 PM
    price is not an issue.
    08-06-11 06:56 PM
    I actually happy with the off contract price of 549 compared to the 250 3 year price. Worth the value of getting it off contract.
    08-06-11 08:50 PM
    the last bb i bought new was the 9630. i think $500 is overpriced but if i buy i will not buy another for 3 years at a minimum.
    08-06-11 09:42 PM
283 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD