There have been and always will be members complaining about the price of "upcoming" Blackberries. Happens with "every" impending release. Based on past Blackberry purchases, there will always be an incentive around the corner. Wait for them during/after the release date from the carriers.
    Yep, the price always comes down. I bought my 9000 from LetsTalk (AzzHoles) for about 100 bucks. This is another reason I don't understand all the drama about the "Introductory Price". Sometimes it's as though people were born yesterday and have no clue about recent history. It's not like we are talkin about the civil war here.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-04-11 at 11:24 AM.
    08-04-11 11:22 AM
    No way I would pay more than $199 for it, possbily $249.
    you wouldnt pay 199 but you would 249? Thats pretty good for them i guess...
    08-04-11 12:07 PM
    Cus the iPhone 4 isn't $147-$200 and the 3GS isn't $49 and the iPad isn't on the lower-end price point in comparison to other high-end tablets, right?
    Maybe now. How much did people pay for the original iPhone when it launched? Which other device out there now has NFC?

Either way if you can't or won't shell out the money for the device when it launches, it will still launch. As it is with technology the price will drop. How long you are willing to wait is an individual choice. I just find it childish to always want to moan about things.

Take it for what it is and make a decision over whether or not you are willing to pay for it. The moaning will not change the launch price....which has not even been firmly verified as of yet and remains a rumor.
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    08-04-11 12:14 PM
    Yep, the price always comes down. I bought my 9000 from LetsTalk (AzzHoles) for about 100 bucks. This is another reason I don't understand all the drama about the "Introductory Price". Sometimes it's as though people were born yesterday and have no clue about recent history. It's not like we are talkin about the civil war here.
    Lol. Old saying: Nothing in this world is truly free. So it's simple to me, "You pay for what you get...and you don't get what you don't pay for."
    08-04-11 12:19 PM
    Maybe now. How much did people pay for the original iPhone when it launched? Which other device out there now has NFC?

Either way if you can't or won't shell out the money for the device when it launches, it will still launch. As it is with technology the price will drop. How long you are willing to wait is an individual choice. I just find it childish to always want to moan about things.

Take it for what it is and make a decision over whether or not you are willing to pay for it. The moaning will not change the launch price....which has not even been firmly verified as of yet and remains a rumor.
    Nexus S has NFC
    08-04-11 12:30 PM
    Your self proclaimed ability to value a world wide product without using any manufacturing data or introducing historical pricing data on RIM and other products is ludicrous.
    That's the spirit olblueyez!

The "Market" valued RIM olblueyez so your point about manufacturing data is irrelevent...
    ...I've simply educated you as to why the "market" has valued RIM the way it has.
    ...Direct me to one article that suggests manufacturing

You have to be seeing little green men from mars to think your statements have any base in reality whatsoever. You even claim RIM stock has a direct connection to the popularity of new products being announced. How do you know RIM will survive and be able to crank out QNX while selling 9900's at 200 ballon's? Please stop assuming you know many things you could not possibly know.
    You're not getting it - aside from die-hards RIM has LOST it's popularity...
    ...You are coming at this from a premise whereas RIM is still popular, nothing is wrong, etc.
    ...That's what got RIM into this mess!

Here we go again. You don't have a clue if the new devices can provide you with these abilities and your bad mouthing RIM about past devices? Personally I am glad to see the new devices. Do corporations pass out new devices every year because Apple has a new iPhone out? No. Your an IT professional complaining about having to "crack open a tablet"? You sound like the typical IT person who lets a lot of stuff slip through the cracks and then wants to spend the day running around putting out little fires.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm also VERY glad to see some new devices from RIM and given that I bleed Blackberry I'm also protective of my favorite phone company & that would include my telling the truth by accurately reflecting what I've watched take place within my own business demographic.

Migrations from one CRM to another is within the proactive realm while removing permissions from a terminated employee or granting permissions to a new-hire is not - most of those determinations are made over cocktails in the evening within the corporate world and from my end it's 99% reactionary.

It appears that the business you conduct on your BB does not exceed that of a Junior High School student...
    ...There is nothing wrong with this Sir - I'm happy for you.
    ...Most people using their phones for business need their phone to do more.
    ...The Market has demonstrated this for two years.

Still nothing about the new devices, I guess they are just cosmetic upgrades right?
    On launch day will a 9900 / 30 be able to open a .pdf attachment in an email that is 4.5mb?

Look, it's very cool that RIM is now putting out phones that can shoot 720p video and have the latest social networking ability....
    ...Those types of things while neat do not help secure what's left of RIM's business customer base.

I've got a very good relationship with our business contact in Sprint and he will just toss me a couple of phones and I'll sit in my car and test them out. I'm very excited about having a touchscreen in a Bold and I will for sure test one out so don't think I'm here to badmouth RIM.

You can bet RIM reads what people are saying about their products online and that's why I've given the time I have in sounding off - I'm not getting a dime for reading these posts - it's just that I care which I'm sure you do as well - we obviously are looking at this from different aspects.

What was Apple's stock like before and after the iPhone was introduced? Once again, what does RIM stock have to do with what the new devices have to offer and what the price should be???
    I have no issue with an off contract phone selling for $600.00 - $800.00 it is what it is....
    ...The carriers off-set the price they paid for the devices no differnt then Vegas off-sets the cost of steak and crab.
    ...How much the carrier off-set's the cost depends on how much they can off-set the cost w/out loosing money.
    ...That's my point.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-04-11 at 05:28 PM.
    08-04-11 01:50 PM
    well i'm getting mine from PR so not really :P
    08-04-11 02:31 PM
    You guys are lucky. Rogers in Canada charge $249 3-year term and $649 no contract.
    08-04-11 03:33 PM
    That's the spirit olblueyez!

The "Market" valued RIM olblueyez so your point about manufacturing data is irrelevent...
    ...I've simply educated you as to why the "market" has valued RIM the way it has.
    ...Direct me to one article that suggests manufacturing

You're not getting it - aside from die-hards RIM has LOST it's popularity...
    ...You are coming at this from a premise whereas RIM is still popular, nothing is wrong, etc.
    ...That's what got RIM into this mess!

Don't get me wrong - I'm also VERY glad to see some new devices from RIM and given that I bleed Blackberry I'm also protective of my favorite phone company & that would include my telling the truth by accurately reflecting what I've watched take place within my own business demographic.

Migrations from one CRM to another is within the proactive realm while removing permissions from a terminated employee or granting permissions to a new-hire is not - most of those determinations are made over cocktails in the evening within the corporate world and from my end it's 99% reactionary.

It appears that the business you conduct on your BB does not exceed that of a Junior High School student...
    ...There is nothing wrong with this Sir - I'm happy for you.
    ...Most people using their phones for business need their phone to do more.
    ...The Market has demonstrated this for two years.

On launch day will a 9900 / 30 be able to open a .pdf attachment in an email that is 4.5mb?

Look, it's very cool that RIM is now putting out phones that can shoot 720p video and have the latest social networking ability....
    ...Those types of things while neat do not help secure what's left of RIM's business customer base.

I've got a very good relationship with our business contact in Sprint and he will just toss me a couple of phones and I'll sit in my car and test them out. I'm very excited about having a touchscreen in a Bold and I will for sure test one out so don't think I'm here to badmouth RIM.

You can bet RIM reads what people are saying about their products online and that's why I've given the time I have in sounding off - I'm not getting a dime for reading these posts - it's just that I care which I'm sure you do as well - we obviously are looking at this from different aspects.

I have no issue with an off contract phone selling for $600.00 - $800.00 it is what it is....
    ...The carriers off-set the price they paid for the devices no differnt then Vegas off-sets the cost of steak and crab.
    ...How much the carrier CAN off-set the cost depends on how much they can off-set the cost w/out loosing money.
    ...That's my point.
    Boy you sure got me on all those valid points I made. Maybe you should start your own service and you can do contracting jobs for large companies. They need a new cellular network and you can go sit in your BMW 3 Series and play with the newest devices since your big shot friend at sprint really isn't supposed to let the phones out of the store. Then you can go back to places like Booz or Lockheed and tell them what devices to use. Then the brilliant guys who hired you can call you at 2:00 am so you can switch off the permissions on a laptop belonging to an employee that wouldn't take it in the service entrance the night before.

I will assume (something you do waaaaaaay too much) that what you know from your company is not all the knowledge one can have about this subject. Wait,,... Do you have any knowledge obtained at your place of work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 04:28 PM
    Now now Frankie boy. You're getting a tad personal.
    08-04-11 04:34 PM
    Apple and Droid - however I wouldn't at this juncture call RIM a competitor with either...
    ...Apple and Driod are slugging it out and RIM isn't a threat to either.

I've recently been in the big three US carrier stores and you literally have to ask a Rep where the Blackberry's are...
    ...They are stuffed off into a dark corner of a store and most of them are not even powered on.

Both Driod and Apple can conduct "business related tasks" beyond the ability of Blackberry...
    ...Such as interaction with corportate websites along with solid business Apps.

If I get a call from a co-worker who is stressed out because they need their PW re-set to one of the corp sites....
    ...My Bold 9650 CAN'T handle that task, it pukes directly subsequent to my signing in to the website.
    ...My Kid's i-pOd has no problem with that "business" task.
    ...Neither does the iphone or Droid.

The list of "cant's" does not end with this either - it goes on and on and on...
    ...Blackberry simply has been run over by Apple and Droid.
    ...Three years ago every meeting I attended it was RIM as far as the eyes could see.

This last March finding another person using a Blackberry was next to impossible....
    ...I would have had better luck locating a Sasquatch.
    ...This current state of affairs for RIM is coast to coast.

It has a great deal to do with it - the carriers know better than anyone Blackberry has been a dud seller the past year....
    ....Would it make sense for them to sell a product even they will tell you they believe is living on borrowed time?
    ....At a price past what their hottest sellers are selling for?

I'm a compliance / I.T. guy for a moderatly sized corporation and I'm telling you I don't understand why people keep saying "Blackberry is for business" when Blackberry can't get large emails due to BIS, can't open a .pdf of 4.5mb, can't interact in an admin capacity with corporate websites, etc, etc, etc.

Back when people didn't need to do those kinds of things on the fly BB was IT....
    ...Times have changed and a business phone needs to be able to do at least as much business as a 14 year old's ipod can handle!

I hope you are right about the price drop swimmer, I very much hope you are right...
    ...I'm a die hard BB fan and have been for years.
    ...For pete's sake I'm the last guy in mgmt at the company I work for that's using one.

I've already been issued a "company ipad" so I pack one of those around now instead of a notebook.....
    ...As I mainly need to set permissions for people who need to get into various corporate sites.

The reason I've stuck with BB is because I do believe RIM makes the best "phone" on the planet - it's absolutely a premier quality cell phone with awesome battery life and world class keyboard, however at this point that's where it ends. I'm coming from the camp that wants to see RIM back on top.

Having the ability to shoot an HD video and post it on youtube is cool and everything but it blows me away RIM would address those kinds of things prior to getting their devices up to at least the ability of an i-pod.

Don't get me wrong - I love RIM and really like my Bold 9650 - I could have any phone I want and be with any carrier I want - I'm used to the Blackberry, know it's U.I for the things I do all the time and just love the device.

I've just got really disturbed at what I've watched happen to RIM's presence in the business community over the last couple years - this is serious stuff in my view and I'm going to do everything I can help out my favorite cell mfg.
    This gets it dead on, as a blackberry lover, I hate that everyone's phone can do more than mine, I can't even go on some web sites because a berry simply can't load something. Its nice the playbook can do this or that, but lets make sure the phone's can use the internet too.

On that note, I don't really care to much about QNX in fact, I don't even know when it will come out. But if these phones fail, then I will most likely make the jump to....an iphone.

I want the Bold to be the best ever; good battery, keyboard, internet, and media. Not to mention speed. We can worry about apps and games later, for now, get the speed and internet down. So I don't get embarrassed waiting for a phone to load or using someone else's phone to go online....
    08-04-11 04:41 PM
    This gets it dead on, as a blackberry lover, I hate that everyone's phone can do more than mine, I can't even go on some web sites because a berry simply can't load something. Its nice the playbook can do this or that, but lets make sure the phone's can use the internet too.

On that note, I don't really care to much about QNX in fact, I don't even know when it will come out. But if these phones fail, then I will most likely make the jump to....an iphone.

I want the Bold to be the best ever; good battery, keyboard, internet, and media. Not to mention speed. We can worry about apps and games later, for now, get the speed and internet down. So I don't get embarrassed waiting for a phone to load or using someone else's phone to go online....
    Three out of four ain't bad. The 9900/9930 will be a very very capable phone, don't worry.
    08-04-11 04:49 PM
    Boy you sure got me on all those valid points I made.
    You didn't bring any valid points - just muttered about manufacturing.....
    ...Manufacturing has zero to do with RIMS current placement in the market today.
    ...It has nothing to do with why BB's are stuffed into a back corner of the carrier stores.

Maybe you should start your own service and you can do contracting jobs for large companies. They need a new cellular network and you can go sit in your BMW 3 Series and play with the newest devices since your big shot friend at sprint really isn't supposed to let the phones out of the store.
    In the last 8 months I've had two RIM employees visit me, one brought me a playbook to mess with for about 20 mintues a couple months prior to it's release - I'm sure due to my "big shot friend" at Sprint who no doubt told them I was a fan of BB's.

We spend approx 70k a year on cellular service via Sprint and if I say I want a phone to test I'm given one, period. I've been mailed boxes of PTT AT&T and Verizon phones from Reps trying to earn our business so your comment simply show your lack of understanding of how things work in the corporate world.

I kind of figured that out when I realized you thought my primary beef with RIM was it's lack of support for Gilligan's Island and play-station.

Then you can go back to places like Booz or Lockheed and tell them what devices to use. Then the brilliant guys who hired you can call you at 2:00 am so you can switch off the permissions on a laptop belonging to an employee that wouldn't take it in the service entrance the night before.

I will assume (something you do waaaaaaay too much) that what you know from your company is not all the knowledge one can have about this subject. Wait,,... Do you have any knowledge obtained at your place of work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You might as well go back to texting or whatever it is you do for business on your blackberry...
    ...LOL.
    08-04-11 04:50 PM

It is embarassing, especially when after you plugg RIM as being the only solution for Business to the owners of the Corporation you work for and within 4 months of being on a BB they each tell you to pick up iphones for them!

Due to EXACTLY the reason you stated!

IMHO RIM does not have to produce a device that does multi-media as good as an iphone....
    ...But it absolutely HAS to produce a device that can do "business" as good as an iphone.
    ...This is what didn't happen and we are where we are.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-04-11 05:21 PM
    Three out of four ain't bad. The 9900/9930 will be a very very capable phone, don't worry.
    Yeah I must be missing something, we are talking about price on a new, top end, non-facelifted device to come along for what seems like a long time compared to the competition, and I see all this piszing and moaning about what was wrong with the older models.

What do the short comings of a 9000 have to do with a 9900?

Then people wanna cry about the price of the phone when just about every smart phone ever introduced did so at a higher price than dropped through out the lifetime of the phone.

How is this launch different than any other similar product?

If you cant answer those two basic questions directly and with logic and common sense then why post?

Go ahead and say market value, Androids are 199, or PDF's but the fact is, that doesn't have a damn thing to do with it when the customer picks up the new device (That very well may handle PDF's) and decides they like it. It is unique and as far as I am concerned it has no competition with screen and qwerty abilities that even comes close.

Take all the negativity about the new devices and shovel it out the window. That's where it belongs.
    08-04-11 05:54 PM
    Now now Frankie boy. You're getting a tad personal.
    Sometimes you have to shake the tree.
    08-04-11 05:58 PM
    All I have to say is RIM is out of their goddamn mind if that really is the price of the 9900/9930. Way to alienate potential customers even more. Guess I'll be waiting on that iPhone 5.
    08-04-11 06:06 PM
    I am very set on jumping ship from my iPhone 4 to the 9900, but if the price point is that, then I am very hesitant on switching.
    08-04-11 06:27 PM
    I don't get how people are perfectly content spending $2xx+ on an iphone (32GB) or android (charge, epic and so on) but **** and moan when that is the possible price of an upgraded blackberry. A blackberry that has the specs that people have been wanting for a long time! It seems crazy to me. You want all these upgrades but don't want to pay for them? Okay then don't buy it. It's really that simple. Or wait until the price drops.

All this hoopla over speculation and rumors.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    08-04-11 06:54 PM
    I don't get how people are perfectly content spending $2xx+ on an iphone (32GB) or android (charge, epic and so on) but **** and moan when that is the possible price of an upgraded blackberry. A blackberry that has the specs that people have been wanting for a long time! It seems crazy to me. You want all these upgrades but don't want to pay for them? Okay then don't buy it. It's really that simple. Or wait until the price drops.

All this hoopla over speculation and rumors.
    Sorry for my confusing post. I am not due an upgrade so I am basing the prices on the no contract price. The no contract price of the bold 9780 was about $599 when it first came out. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I don't believe that is worth it for a berry.
    08-04-11 07:05 PM
    Sorry for my confusing post. I am not due an upgrade so I am basing the prices on the no contract price. The no contract price of the bold 9780 was about $599 when it first came out. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I don't believe that is worth it for a berry.
    I feel $599 is a very acceptable pricepoint for an off contract BlackBerry,
    08-04-11 07:15 PM
    It's a pretty easy process - you either buy it on or off contract when it launches, or you don't. Wait a few months, then buy it. Moaning and complaining doesn't help you. Now take your toy and go home.
    MissJennell#IM likes this.
    08-04-11 07:21 PM
    What bugs me more than the 9900's price point is the bad timing- with T-Mobile going through the AT&T merger, they just tossed out all credit / payment options. $299 hurts a lot less when it's spread over a few months. I expect the new "all cash up front" policy will further slow 9900 sales- a lot of people can justify an extra $80 on their bill the next four months, but I sure don't have three hundred bucks sitting around to replace my perfectly functional 9700 :-/
    08-04-11 07:21 PM
    What bugs me more than the 9900's price point is the bad timing- with T-Mobile going through the AT&T merger, they just tossed out all credit / payment options. $299 hurts a lot less when it's spread over a few months. I expect the new "all cash up front" policy will further slow 9900 sales- a lot of people can justify an extra $80 on their bill the next four months, but I sure don't have three hundred bucks sitting around to replace my perfectly functional 9700 :-/
    So save $80 a month until you have the money to go in and get it with cash. This is part of what is wrong with America. People don't know how to handle finances. If you can't afford it then you shouldn't be buying it anyways.
    Yung_Dilla likes this.
    08-04-11 07:44 PM
    Ya this is a little much.. I'm gonna probably grab a cheap curve 9300 off kijiji.. wait to see what the iPhone 5 is about in October and than decide if it's worth it to jump ship... it's kinda sad that this phone isn't released and we're already talking about the next generation device.. it's not even about affording it at this point.. that's not an issue at all.. it's the principle
    08-04-11 08:07 PM
283 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD