RIM thinking they are Apple here.
    Cus the iPhone 4 isn't $147-$200 and the 3GS isn't $49 and the iPad isn't on the lower-end price point in comparison to other high-end tablets, right?
    08-03-11 11:38 PM
    One thing is for sure - the dollar has no where near degraded to the level of RIM stock....
    ...It's simply a jedi-mind trick that only works on people in denial of reality.
    I'm not saying it hasn't, but I don't see the rationalization in selling their premium branded devices for cheap just because stock prices have declined.

I don't think that device quality has been the main factor of their declining stock, but a lack of corporate leadership. When the 9000 was released it was retailing for top dollar, I don't see why this phone is any different.

Who's in denial of reality? Your statement really doesn't make any sense in it's context.
    Last edited by swimmer160; 08-03-11 at 11:44 PM.
    08-03-11 11:41 PM
    I'm not saying it hasn't, but I don't see the rationalization in selling their premium branded devices for cheap just because stock prices have declined.

I don't think that device quality has been the main factor of their declining stock, but a lack of corporate leadership. When the 9000 was released it was retailing for top dollar, I don't see why this phone is any different.
    I agree with you that a company shouldn't sell it's premium device for cheap...
    ...However when the premium device of one company is significantly behind the premium device of another.
    ...The company behind does not attempt to sell their product at a higher price than the product above it.

Device quality has never been an issue with RIM - I maintain they make the best cell phone in the world....
    ...It's the abilities of those phones to conduct "business" that are lacking.
    ...That's 100% the reason RIM is in the shape it's now in.
    08-03-11 11:46 PM
    Cus the iPhone 4 isn't $147-$200 and the 3GS isn't $49 and the iPad isn't on the lower-end price point in comparison to other high-end tablets, right?
    AT&T Drops iPhone 3GS Price To $9, Signaling Its Departure? | TechnoBuffalo
    08-04-11 12:19 AM
    I don't think the current iPhone 4 prices apply. When the iPhone 4 first came out, it was $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model.

Besides, it's not RIM's fault T-Mobile will charge $299...they sell the phone to the carrier and they subsidize it at the price they choose.
    08-04-11 12:22 AM
    I don't think the current iPhone 4 prices apply. When the iPhone 4 first came out, it was $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model.

Besides, it's not RIM's fault T-Mobile will charge $299...they sell the phone to the carrier and they subsidize it at the price they choose.
    Which is in part reflecting what the device was sold to them for.
    08-04-11 12:27 AM
    I agree with you that a company shouldn't sell it's premium device for cheap...
    ...However when the premium device of one company is significantly behind the premium device of another.
    ...The company behind does not attempt to sell their product at a higher price than the product above it.

Device quality has never been an issue with RIM - I maintain they make the best cell phone in the world....
    ...It's the abilities of those phones to conduct "business" that are lacking.
    ...That's 100% the reason RIM is in the shape it's now in.
    Which competitor are you talking about?
    Also, as far as the carrier pricing, RIM has nothing to do with how much the carrier sells the devices for on contract. I definitely see AT&T trying to jack up the price on this, but we'll see how long it takes to drop the prices.
    08-04-11 12:29 AM
    The 8900 was $200 on a 3yr contract at Rogers when it came out, and I believe the 9700 was $300. Within weeks the 8900 was $150 (that is what I payed). I believed the 9700 went down quickly too. Those were plastic phones, with tech that had been around for a while. It will be $150 within four months, just watch.

The 9900 is made of higher end materials similar to iPhone, and is specced near the top end of smartphones. IMHO it is the sexiest phone since the iPhone 4. It's MSRP is still 20% less than an iPhone, and similar to most HTC phones. Do I have $600 for a new phone? No. Paying $300 _plus_ signing a 3/2yr contract sucks too. I agree, but it really isn't out of line with everything else.

For those commenting on how much it costs to make a cel phone, give your head a shake, the cost of most things you buy is not the item itself. You have to pay to ship the device 2-4 times, pay for the packaging. Pay the guy who designed it, built it, sold it to you. Don't forget the cost of advertising, running the website, etc, etc. So when if ifixit tells you a phone costs $200 in parts, but the company is charging $600, that doesn't mean the company is putting $400 in their sock drawer...

Would it be nice for RIM to take a big loss on this device, to lure people back? Maybe, but it will be the device (actually probably more the OS) that brings people back not the price. I mean if the iPhone is an indicator, how much you pay for your phone is a prestige thing!
    08-04-11 12:41 AM

I should have been more clear; the iPhone 4 is $147-$299, or was $199-$299 at release. In any case, I was making a point to debunk the claim that Apple products are all overpriced. Sure their laptops are more than most laptops, but it's not like they're selling junky hardware and weak software. Even so, laptops aren't in the discussion as we're primarily speaking of mobile devices, in which case I would say that iPhones and iPads perhaps even iPods are the best for the money they ask.
    08-04-11 01:06 AM
    Which competitor are you talking about?
    Apple and Droid - however I wouldn't at this juncture call RIM a competitor with either...
    ...Apple and Driod are slugging it out and RIM isn't a threat to either.

I've recently been in the big three US carrier stores and you literally have to ask a Rep where the Blackberry's are...
    ...They are stuffed off into a dark corner of a store and most of them are not even powered on.

Both Driod and Apple can conduct "business related tasks" beyond the ability of Blackberry...
    ...Such as interaction with corportate websites along with solid business Apps.

If I get a call from a co-worker who is stressed out because they need their PW re-set to one of the corp sites....
    ...My Bold 9650 CAN'T handle that task, it pukes directly subsequent to my signing in to the website.
    ...My Kid's i-pOd has no problem with that "business" task.
    ...Neither does the iphone or Droid.

The list of "cant's" does not end with this either - it goes on and on and on...
    ...Blackberry simply has been run over by Apple and Droid.
    ...Three years ago every meeting I attended it was RIM as far as the eyes could see.

This last March finding another person using a Blackberry was next to impossible....
    ...I would have had better luck locating a Sasquatch.
    ...This current state of affairs for RIM is coast to coast.

Also, as far as the carrier pricing, RIM has nothing to do with how much the carrier sells the devices for on contract. I definitely see AT&T trying to jack up the price on this, but we'll see how long it takes to drop the prices.
    It has a great deal to do with it - the carriers know better than anyone Blackberry has been a dud seller the past year....
    ....Would it make sense for them to sell a product even they will tell you they believe is living on borrowed time?
    ....At a price past what their hottest sellers are selling for?

I'm a compliance / I.T. guy for a moderatly sized corporation and I'm telling you I don't understand why people keep saying "Blackberry is for business" when Blackberry can't get large emails due to BIS, can't open a .pdf of 4.5mb, can't interact in an admin capacity with corporate websites, etc, etc, etc.

Back when people didn't need to do those kinds of things on the fly BB was IT....
    ...Times have changed and a business phone needs to be able to do at least as much business as a 14 year old's ipod can handle!

I hope you are right about the price drop swimmer, I very much hope you are right...
    ...I'm a die hard BB fan and have been for years.
    ...For pete's sake I'm the last guy in mgmt at the company I work for that's using one.

I've already been issued a "company ipad" so I pack one of those around now instead of a notebook.....
    ...As I mainly need to set permissions for people who need to get into various corporate sites.

The reason I've stuck with BB is because I do believe RIM makes the best "phone" on the planet - it's absolutely a premier quality cell phone with awesome battery life and world class keyboard, however at this point that's where it ends. I'm coming from the camp that wants to see RIM back on top.

Having the ability to shoot an HD video and post it on youtube is cool and everything but it blows me away RIM would address those kinds of things prior to getting their devices up to at least the ability of an i-pod.

Don't get me wrong - I love RIM and really like my Bold 9650 - I could have any phone I want and be with any carrier I want - I'm used to the Blackberry, know it's U.I for the things I do all the time and just love the device.

I've just got really disturbed at what I've watched happen to RIM's presence in the business community over the last couple years - this is serious stuff in my view and I'm going to do everything I can help out my favorite cell mfg.
    crackcookie likes this.
    08-04-11 01:16 AM
    Wow...ignorance is bliss, isn't it!?
    Wow so that's what you can say ?
    I just said are people so poor that everyone is complaining ?
    Though I wish it was $500 or at most $550 I would be left with no choice but to buy it in november
    So how is that ignorant felllow ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 05:33 AM
    Okay people, this can be $300 and $600 full retail
    The $200 and $500 you want iis called the 9790 belllagio
    It has a touch screen,NFC and the same specs just that it is smaller
    So RIM said u want a bold touch ? Get the 9790

08-04-11 05:36 AM
    Please that stimulus plan was before Obama,the only thing that shovel is needed for is to go upside your head. now back to business !!!!
    I beg to differ.
    Barack Obama reveals stimulus package that could exceed $1 trillion - Times Online
    08-04-11 05:55 AM
    anybody else dissapointed with the 9900 price point?
    I'm disappointed with the poor spelling if disappointed, but not with the 9900 price point... one free upgrade coming right up

Blacklatino likes this.
    08-04-11 06:12 AM
    The Bold is geared and marketed toward the corporate world, not the end consumer. See the other models for consumer pricing...
    08-04-11 07:09 AM
    Owning a 9780, I'm not going to spend $600 full retail on a better keyboard, larger screen (touchscreen :/), more memory, faster processor, no left convenience key, etc. My 9780 gets me through the day (business & pleasure).

Now, if it was $500 full retail, then maybe. Then again, there's people here complaining about spending $300 w/ contract.

08-04-11 07:11 AM
    Please that stimulus plan was before Obama,the only thing that shovel is needed for is to go upside your head. now back to business !!!!
    Don't confuse him with facts
    08-04-11 07:17 AM
    Political forum is that way ----->

As much as I would like to talk about it. From what I understand, I may be wrong, this is CrackBerry.com: A site for BlackBerry users and abusers.

I hope the carriers decide against $300 for a 2(USA)/3(CAN) year contracts

08-04-11 07:41 AM
    Political forum is that way ----->

As much as I would like to talk about it. From what I understand, I may be wrong, this is CrackBerry.com: A site for BlackBerry users and abusers.

I hope the carriers decide against $300 for a 2(USA)/3(CAN) year contracts

Barry uses a Blackberry so it is relevant.
    08-04-11 08:08 AM
    Someone had to shake us out of the GOP de-regulatory death knells. If you would like to continue this discussion via PM - I'm all about it. Please do.
    08-04-11 08:28 AM
    An attitude like mine is the ONLY hope RIM has in getting itself out of the pit it's dug itself into...
    ...You may call it sour grapes however in the real world it's called REALITY.

At this juncture it's NOT "top-end" - it's on the very bottom...
    ...Furthermore, the picture you are attempting to paint is akin.
    ...To Muhammad Ali making a statement tomorrow that he is currently the best fighter in the world.
    ...Dude, have you been following RIMS stock???
    Your self proclaimed ability to value a world wide product without using any manufacturing data or introducing historical pricing data on RIM and other products is ludicrous. You have to be seeing little green men from mars to think your statements have any base in reality whatsoever. You even claim RIM stock has a direct connection to the popularity of new products being announced. How do you know RIM will survive and be able to crank out QNX while selling 9900's at 200 ballon's? Please stop assuming you know many things you could not possibly know.

I'm 44 and those things do not factor into my purchase determinations either....
    ...However being able to grant permissions in corporate websites for employees is.
    ...Being able to do something as simple as "reset a users UN & PW" is also important.
    ...Being able to OPEN a 4.5mb .pdf is a must.

Currently BB's absolutely PUKE on those tasks and if I get a panicked call at 9pm from someone who can't do their job....
    ....Because they forgot their password, again.
    ....I would either have to borrow a Droid or iphone OR crack open an ipad.
    Here we go again. You don't have a clue if the new devices can provide you with these abilities and your bad mouthing RIM about past devices? Personally I am glad to see the new devices. Do corporations pass out new devices every year because Apple has a new iPhone out? No. Your an IT professional complaining about having to "crack open a tablet"? You sound like the typical IT person who lets a lot of stuff slip through the cracks and then wants to spend the day running around putting out little fires.

These are the types of things that cost RIM it's "corporate" standing.....
    ...Not that their devices can't play episodes of Gilligan's Island.
    Still nothing about the new devices, I guess they are just cosmetic upgrades right?

So yeah, you want to debate me as to why RIM's stock today is in the shape it's in....
    ....By all means BRING IT - only realize I will not be bemoaning RIMS lack of games.
    What was Apple's stock like before and after the iPhone was introduced? Once again, what does RIM stock have to do with what the new devices have to offer and what the price should be???
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-04-11 at 08:58 AM.
    _StephenBB81 and Blacklatino like this.
    08-04-11 08:36 AM
    Talk about a one confusing read!
    08-04-11 08:51 AM
    Yet the phone will be offered Free on selected 18mth-2yr plans in the UK.

I cant belive you guys on the other side of the pond, still pay for your handsets
    08-04-11 10:35 AM
    Yet the phone will be offered Free on selected 18mth-2yr plans in the UK.

I cant belive you guys on the other side of the pond, still pay for your handsets
    Im not really following the free part. You also have not factored in influences like taxes and surcharges.

It looks like British deal #2 will cost you 43 in US dollars but data is limited to 500mb.

In the US the phone is free and the price is 55 per month at 200mb or 65 for 4 times the data you chaps can have at 2GB.

I certainly dont know everything, but at least I try to Google a subject before I go writing a bunch of crap. I feel embarrased when I go off half cocked and others are able to point out monsterous flaws in my logic.

We all have smartphones and this is a smartphone website correct?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-04-11 at 11:14 AM.
    08-04-11 11:12 AM
    There have been and always will be members complaining about the price of "upcoming" Blackberries. Happens with "every" impending release. Based on past Blackberry purchases, there will always be an incentive around the corner. Wait for them during/after the release date from the carriers.
    08-04-11 11:15 AM
283 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD