The 9900 is the flagship device, built with premium materials, it will command a higher price to differentiate itself from the Torch devices and Curve devices.
    Well said. Also one other thing to remember is that the US dollar has dropped a lot in the last few months. That impacts material costs. If, a big if, the price is higher in the US then its what much of the rest of the world experiences with prices.
    08-02-11 10:13 PM
    You are completely missing the point. Apple can sell an iPhone 4 32GB for $300 and no one will complain. OTOH most smartphones (including Android phones) not blessed with the sacred logo can not command more than $200. It's the same in tablets, if you want to sell a lot of tablets either be Apple or be cheaper than Apple.
    Agree fully! How RIM cannot see the pricing I'd terrible is beyond me. Sure, they're not controlling it but it's their livelihood at stake. I find it hard to believe their hands are completely tied when influencing the pricing to some degree.
    08-02-11 10:13 PM
    It would still make no sense for RIM to ask T-Mobile to charge an exorbitantly high amount for a phone on a 2-year contract. Very few customers will be willing to buy, and T-Mobile will not make a profit. They would end up just pushing some other device instead. In the end, RIM would only lose in this situation.
    I agree with that. Didn't say other wise. I'm saying if one company wants something to be someway someone will find a way to get it done. Don't know all the ins and outs and don't pretend I do. I just hope being a customer(sprint customer) that a good price will show up.
    08-02-11 10:14 PM
    $299 is what I paid for my Bold 9000 about three years ago. Not surprised, not disappointed. Although I think it had a $100 mail-in rebate, and I got another $75 back for trading in the Curve. Hey, it is what it is; buy it, or don't.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    Maybe they are including a 32GB micro sd card?
    I agree with that. Didn't say other wise. I'm saying if one company wants something to be someway someone will find a way to get it done. Don't know all the ins and outs and don't pretend I do. I just hope being a customer(sprint customer) that a good price will show up.
    You can be almost sure a better price will show up. No one will be buying a Bold 9900 at that price point, compared to the other smart phones on the market. Once it rolls out across all carriers, they'll be undercutting each other like mad. The actual price of the phone matters little to the carriers. They all make the bulk of their income from the contracts.

In the end, this is all speculative. Nothing is official yet at this point.
    08-02-11 10:18 PM
    Agree fully! How RIM cannot see the pricing I'd terrible is beyond me. Sure, they're not controlling it but it's their livelihood at stake. I find it hard to believe their hands are completely tied when influencing the pricing to some degree.
    Only thing they can do is push up the restock pricing,

I had an issue with a distributor purchasing a huge volume of product, with a contract that they wouldn't advertise for less than 45% margin on the product. they went on to sell the product in key areas at 15% margin which was 6% lower than the distributors in that area purchased the product directly from me for.

NOTHING could be done and it has taken near 2 years to fix the market for the bastardization of product in the region by this distributor, who no longer can purchase restock at the discount level they had gotten for bulk purchase.

Contracts can be put in place to protect band image in publication, but usually that has to do with a bottom pricing structure, not a top level.
    08-02-11 10:19 PM
    I'm shocked this phone will be $300 with a two year contract.
    That'll grow RIM's marketshare... /sarc
    08-02-11 10:20 PM
    You can be almost sure a better price will show up. No one will be buying a Bold 9900 at that price point, compared to the other smart phones on the market. Once it rolls out across all carriers, they'll be undercutting each other like mad. The actual price of the phone matters little to the carriers. They all make the bulk of their income from the contracts.

In the end, this is all speculative. Nothing is official yet at this point.
    I wouldn't say no one would,

the 9900 will probably be 12-18 months before a QNX qwerty replacement is seen, so if someone done with their contract but has a solid relationship with the Carrier it makes sense to pay $299 over full retail to purchase the device and hedge the bet that they wont want to switch carriers in the next 12-18 months and have to buy out of the contract, just need to do the Math as to what the difference is between Contract buy out + Phone, or Full Retail price, and see how long you'd have to keep the contract to break even, and figure IF you will stay with that carrier that long.

for me and Rogers I need to stay for 25 months to make it worth my while buying on contract over buying full retail so every 3rd phone is usually on contract
    08-02-11 10:25 PM
    Looks like ill be seeing a lot of iphone 5's around. At this price I think people who were going to be buying it 1st day are going to be waiting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 10:30 PM
    Well said. Also one other thing to remember is that the US dollar has dropped a lot in the last few months. That impacts material costs. If, a big if, the price is higher in the US then its what much of the rest of the world experiences with prices.
    We can all think Mr. Obama for this and his stimulus bill. Shovel ready jobs, I'm still laughing about that one.
    08-02-11 10:31 PM
    I wouldn't say no one would
    That was a bit of a hyperbole, and some customers will still buy it. How they justify the costs and whether they feel it is worth it is obviously up to them. I just don't think it will make sense for T-Mobile to price the 9900 that high if they want strong sales (contracts) in comparison to all the other desirable smart phones on the market.
    08-02-11 10:32 PM

Pricing the Bold 9900 the same as an iPhone is about as stupid as pricing a Playbook the same as an iPad ---- errr ---- nevermind.
    Exactly, everyone who wanted the 9900 will most likely be waiting til the price drops a little

08-02-11 10:36 PM
    Honestly do they not teach economics in highschool in the US?

it is illegal for Manufacturers to Fix pricing.

there for you are blaming the wrong people for this pricing!
    Let me help you out a little bit here deRussett - The Mfg "wholesales" equipment to the "dealer"...
    ...The dealer retails the equipment to the end-user AFTER subsidizing it.
    ...Because, as with any service related business - the money for the dealer.
    ...Is in FIXED OPERATIONS ( i.e. monthly service fees in this case ).

A dealer can only subsidize a product so much and what they can't sticks out like a sore thumb...
    ...$300.00 for a Blackberry at this point in history is a very big sore thumb.
    ...How much economics did you take in highschool & why didn't you attend is my question.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-02-11 at 10:39 PM.
    08-02-11 10:37 PM
    Um... Is it me or is this still under the unbrella of speculation? There has been no OFFICIAL comment regarding release date and/or pricing both un/subsidized. The most prudent thing to do is wait until there's an official press release from a carrier concerning price. This way no one freaks out.

08-02-11 10:38 PM
    I can already envision RIM thinking they are the sh*t and pricing it at $299 on a 2 year contract and $599 off contract.

Just shows how doomed they are. Keep in mind these phones cost a total of $100-$250ish to make. Even Apple isn't this crazy and they are a premium brand.
    08-02-11 10:55 PM
    I can already envision RIM thinking they are the sh*t and pricing it at $299 on a 2 year contract and $599 off contract.

Just shows how doomed they are. Keep in mind these phones cost a total of $100-$250ish to make. Even Apple isn't this crazy and they are a premium brand.
    I would say if anything RIM sold the phone at a price to the carrier that even after the carrier subsidized the phone as much as their board allowed the price was $300.00.

The best position for RIM to take at this point is being humble and hyping it's BIS AFTER they update it so "business customers" can open 4.5 MB pdf's.

Having all the video reviews showing some guy repeatedly swipping the touch screen on the Bold is essentially a pleading argument; 'but, but we can do this to - see, we can swipe.'

This isn't going to impress an iphone or Droid user in the least and given the demographics of late.....
    ...What age sector of the population is RIM now trying to target?
    08-02-11 11:13 PM
    The pricing is ridiculous. I was really looking forward to purchasing this phone until now. I say we all protest at our local T-Mobile stores on launch date.

08-02-11 11:14 PM
    For the OP.

Was there anyone dumb enough to not know it would be 300 ballons???
    08-02-11 11:18 PM
    RIM's customers are the carriers, not you.
    That's kind of redundant no? And what if the carrier's customers don't buy RIMS products? RIM goes out of business. Either way I will probably shell out the money because i think the 9930 is actually worth the price. I payed $299 with some amount of MIR for my Droid inc and I doubt the materials cost that much. It is a steep price either way though
    08-02-11 11:26 PM
    It's relative. We're used to paying BIG dollars for outright/non contract phones. e.g. The 9780 still has a RRP of $629 AUD ($691 USD) here.

They want $749 AUD (or $823USD) for the 9930 outright here.

I can buy it unlocked and imported from the UK for less than $645AUD. So, that's probably the way I'll go.

Warranty and it's value to you is the difference.
    08-02-11 11:28 PM
    That's kind of redundant no? And what if the carrier's customers don't buy RIMS products? RIM goes out of business. Either way I will probably shell out the money because i think the 9930 is actually worth the price. I payed $299 with some amount of MIR for my Droid inc and I doubt the materials cost that much. It is a steep price either way though
    Another person doesn't get it... When I say we're not RIM's customers, what I mean is we do not directly buy these phones from RIM (unless you're in India). We buy them through the carriers. They're the ones that dictate how much we pay for them with or without a contract. RIM has nothing to do with how much T-Mobile is rumoured to be charging for them.

Now, technically are we RIM's customers? Of course, but not directly, as some people in this thread are suggesting.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 08-02-11 at 11:34 PM.
    08-02-11 11:31 PM
    I would say if anything RIM sold the phone at a price to the carrier that even after the carrier subsidized the phone as much as their board allowed the price was $300.00.

The best position for RIM to take at this point is being humble and hyping it's BIS AFTER they update it so "business customers" can open 4.5 MB pdf's.

Having all the video reviews showing some guy repeatedly swipping the touch screen on the Bold is essentially a pleading argument; 'but, but we can do this to - see, we can swipe.'

This isn't going to impress an iphone or Droid user in the least and given the demographics of late.....
    ...What age sector of the population is RIM now trying to target?

OMG! I was going to say: "HOLY SH*T, Pythons FIRST post ever that did not include unnecessary periods........................................... .......... Until I got to the end and of course, you made it a priority to throw them in there

So close damnit.. SO CLOSE!
    08-02-11 11:55 PM
    In the US:
    No phone has broken the $200 mark at arrival in the past year other than the iPhone.
    All other have tried $250 but ended up doing $50-100 rebates.

I think RIM will drop the prices to meet the market in this economy, otherwise they will have a hard time pushing sales in the US.
    Other option is to wait a month, when the sales drop dramatically they will lower the price. Guaranteed this will be available for $100 or less on Amazon, Lets talk or Wirefly within one month any ways.
    08-02-11 11:55 PM
    OMG! I was going to say: "HOLY SH*T, Pythons FIRST post ever that did not include unnecessary periods........................................... .......... Until I got to the end and of course, you made it a priority to throw them in there

So close damnit.. SO CLOSE!
    Lol

08-03-11 01:38 AM
283 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD