Got my 9900 from AT&T today with the basic $15.00 data plan. I have Fios at home and set up already with my 9900- just wanted to know if there's any way to set the Wi-Fi as the priority connection to use while I'm at home? Couldn't find it in the settings.

Thanks in advance guys. Loving this phone, it's simply awesome.
    11-07-11 05:42 AM
    Turn off the mobile network. Then wi-fi is the only option.
    11-07-11 05:45 AM
    When I do that and leave the Wi-Fi only on it says: "A communication failure has occurred. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact your service provider."

So now what? If I have the both on, is the 9900 smart enough only use the Wi-Fi that's within reach?
    11-07-11 05:50 AM
    The 9900 will detect and use wi-fi except for applications where the data network is mandatory, like App World.
    11-07-11 05:56 AM
    Says the same exact thing for everything. Including the browser. Yet when I go into connection settings it says I'm connected. If I leave both on, it lets me surf the web, use apps, etc. When I turn data off, nothing.
    11-07-11 06:01 AM
    When you turn the mobile network off does the device show you are connected to wi-fi? If it does something is not working as it should. Have you got wi-fi Service Books?
    11-07-11 06:08 AM
    When you turn the mobile network off does the device show you are connected to wi-fi? If it does something is not working as it should. Have you got wi-fi Service Books?
    Yes it does show me as being connected with my WEP saved. What's Wi-Fi Service books? Here's another thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-647265/

Looks like some people are having similar issues I am.
    11-07-11 06:11 AM
    Two wi-fi Service Books are required - Browser and Transport - for wifi to work. These should have been downloaded automatically when you first set up. To check go to Options / Device / Advanced System Settings / Service Book. You will know when you are connected to wi-fi because the 4 BB dots which indicate a BIS connection will show next to the wi-fi signal indicator.
    JR A and danondorf like this.
    11-07-11 06:21 AM
    Okay great thank you. Just checked and yes both are there and both are shown as active. The 4 BB dots are there and so are the 4 white white lines. So when I use the browser will it automatically default to my WiFi? I just wanted to completely turn off the data services so I could only use my WiFi, is this not possible on the 9900?
    11-07-11 06:30 AM
    It is certainly possible in the UK and as far as I know in the USA as well. Mine works in a wi-fi zone even with the SIM Card removed. I have friends who have been to the USA and used nothing but wi-fi thereby avoiding data roaming charges.
    After re-booting everything you can think of if it still does not work it might be worth asking AT&T.
    danondorf likes this.
    11-07-11 06:39 AM
    Okay great thank you. Just checked and yes both are there and both are shown as active. The 4 BB dots are there and so are the 4 white white lines. So when I use the browser will it automatically default to my WiFi? I just wanted to completely turn off the data services so I could only use my WiFi, is this not possible on the 9900?
    danondorf I leave my wifi on 24/7 that way it always gets selected first over the data plan without any guess work.I have the $15.00 data plan too for like a year or so.You will find that most of the time you are near a free wifi that you can log into.I use only a fraction of my 200mb data plan every month.You will probablly see the same after you get your first months bill.Log onto your account often the first month for piece of mind if you want to,to monitor data usage.Also to ease your mind,there is a free data tracker called network traffic control in appworld .
    Free Network Traffic Control - Download Network Traffic Control - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World Enjoy your new Bold.
    danondorf likes this.
    11-07-11 06:46 AM
    Awesome thank you! One last question- if I am near my WiFi and decide to download an app (for example the Pac-Man demo that the 9900 comes with); will my 9900 "guess" to use the WiFi to download it? All apps, when connected to both data and WiFi are chosen to be downloaded via WiFi?

Definitely enjoying this phone, huge step up from my 9000
    11-07-11 06:54 AM
    If you download from a website yes it will default to wi-fi but in the UK one cannot connect to App World over wi-fi. I read somewhere that App World downloads can use wi-fi but I have no way of verifying that.
    11-07-11 07:18 AM
    You can go to Networks and Connections -> Mobile Network and turn data services off
    11-07-11 11:21 AM
    Yep your BB will always choose wifi first as long as it is always on.The BB just like an andriod phone,does connect to internet periodically everyday on your data plan to check for updates etc... but only tiny kilobytes at a time.This it will still do no matter what b ut even if your phone is loaded with apps it still dosen't use much data at all for this .F.Y.I those pre-loaded apps like Pac Man are usually useless links to demos that let you try the game and then want you to buy..If you click on the pac-man icon it will open a link in your browser to actuall download of the game.There are many,many free games in appworld thoughI think alot of games are around 2 or 3 MB so you'd have to download a ton of em in a month to go over your data plan anyway.ATT will send you TXT before you go over anyway.I don't remember if they do it as a default or if you have to call in to ask for it.If you are not not streaming youtube/movies/music on data you will be fine.Lesson 1 keep wifi on! Ha
    11-08-11 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD