I, too, set my left convenience key for password lock (right is for messages). That way I can lock the phone quickly no matter what screen I'm in.
    9900/9930 only has one convenience key...
    11-04-11 10:39 AM
    There is an app called A+ pattern lock and it is free. If you want to lock your phone you can just touch it. If you want to unlock it the do the pattern on the screen and it opens it up again.

Two things to consider:
    1. This is nowhere near the security of an eight digit password with UC/LC and numbers. It would take a computer half a year to unlock your phone (the BB wipes it long before that but just for perspective), it would take it a day at the longest to unlock this app but you can use the REAL password with a much longer time delay and this one for short and quick stuff.

2. If you want to turbo charge your convenience key I suggest you consider the ShortCutMe app. They have some samples on how to do stuff and my convenience key can:
    1 click - launch SCM
    2 clicks - launch camera
    3 clicks - launch video recorder
    4 clicks - launch flashlight

1 click + 1 space bar - launches Vlingo
    1 click + 2 space bar - launches music

I think you get the point. I tried it a month ago and now use it in conjunction with the NFC app to automatically

e-mail the wife I'm leaving work
    shut down WIFI
    turn on BTooth
    Launch Vlingo

just but setting my BB on the car's phone cradle. Nothing else.
    These apps cost money though and I'm sure others can do something similar and may be free but I have not seen them yet.

Just some suggestions. I hope this was helpful.
    11-04-11 10:53 AM
    Sorry, you're way off on this. Homescreen shortcuts are not a might/might not work type of thing. If they aren't working and you have universal search off, then there is something wrong with your software/hardware.
    To clarify nobody said anything about Homescreen shortcuts not working! Did you actually read my post (or the one before that)? Read it again and see if you can understand it this time! As Mark Twain once said 'It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.'

Furthermore as you don't have the phone you are not in a position to talk! Anyone who knows anything about these phones will tell you they are not the same and have completely different OSs.

"A" key locks your phone. If you want added protection, set up the password lock.
    alternatively, you could download a Pattern Lock app and it is enabled just by pressing an icon on the screen or automatically after a set time.
    Now that is weird. I always thought the 'A' key was the standard key to bring up your address book. It was on my 9700. In fact (I've just double-checked) it is on my phone. Interestingly, I'm sure you already know this but when you scroll over your icons and the name is brought up you'll notice that the shortcut for each of the (native) apps is underlined. So when I scroll over my address book it shows 'Contacts'.
    Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs It might help a noob or two.

Cheers.

Mav.
    11-05-11 08:21 AM
    Here's what it is. There are two types of "locks," and people regularly conflate them. There's the PASSWORD LOCK and the KEYBOARD LOCK (SLEEP/STANDBY/KEYGUARD) mode.

� The "K" key in older os's password locked a phone with dial from home screen disabled. The "K" key still password locks my OS6 phone. Some people are reporting that the "K" shortcut no longer works on OS7 phones.

� Pressing Alt+Enter password locks any phone.

� Pressing and holding the "A" key keyboard locks (sleeps) the phone. "A" is also the shortcut for address book/contacts ( a quick press of the key, that is).

Sometimes shortcuts can be buggy. On my old Curve, the "P" key would open the phone/call log, but occasionally it would stop working. A battery pull would fix it. If you have a shortcut that should work but doesn't, try a battery pull and see if it fixes it.
    Last edited by T�nis; 11-05-11 at 09:35 AM.
    11-05-11 09:17 AM
    Just to put in my two-penneth. Even with the universal search disabled (or rather with the application shortcuts enabled) the 'k' key does not work with the 9900 (in my experience, even with the latest leak).

I used to use it all the time on my 9700 and was more than frustrated to find it not working now.
    As I said in my previous post, in my experience (and that of a few others) this does not work on the 9900. Please remember that to all intents and purposes the 9900 and the 9930 are very different phones in that they run on completely different OSs. The really sad thing is that it didn't work on the stock OS that came with the phone and it hasn't been addressed in the latest leak either!
    To be fair it is a leak so we'll just have to wait for the next official release.
    To clarify nobody said anything about Homescreen shortcuts not working! Did you actually read my post (or the one before that)? Read it again and see if you can understand it this time! As Mark Twain once said 'It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.'

Furthermore as you don't have the phone you are not in a position to talk! Anyone who knows anything about these phones will tell you they are not the same and have completely different OSs.

Now that is weird. I always thought the 'A' key was the standard key to bring up your address book. It was on my 9700. In fact (I've just double-checked) it is on my phone. Interestingly, I'm sure you already know this but when you scroll over your icons and the name is brought up you'll notice that the shortcut for each of the (native) apps is underlined. So when I scroll over my address book it shows 'Contacts'.
    Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs It might help a noob or two.

Cheers.

Mav.
    Wow. Your posts above all say the K doesn't work to pw lock the device. The fact that I have a 9930 and you have a 9900 doesn't mean squat. It's standard across all BB's with physical keyboards, and if it doesn't work and you do in fact have a pw set, then there is something wrong. It's like saying in your experience the end key doesn't hang up a call. It either does, or it doesn't and it's faulty. There is no wiggle room here. If pressing K doesn't lock it, it's faulty. Also, the A shortcut for locking the screen and keyboard is a long press on A. A short press is for address book.
    11-05-11 09:21 AM
    Wow. Your posts above all say the K doesn't work to pw lock the device. The fact that I have a 9930 and you have a 9900 doesn't mean squat. It's standard across all BB's with physical keyboards, and if it doesn't work and you do in fact have a pw set, then there is something wrong. It's like saying in your experience the end key doesn't hang up a call. It either does, or it doesn't and it's faulty. There is no wiggle room here. If pressing K doesn't lock it, it's faulty. Also, the A shortcut for locking the screen and keyboard is a long press on A. A short press is for address book.
    FAIL! Massive FAIL!

Just because it doesn't work on my device doesn't mean its faulty!

Once again you fail to understand that our OSs are different meaning a potential difference in implementation. If you bothered to do any research on this you'd know that this (and many others like this) are intermittent problems with the OSs.

If you do a search in these very forums you'll see that this is common. In fact I remember a couple of years ago I had a similar problem on my 9700 (OS5 device) and huge numbers of people complained about it and tried work-arounds. This at the time was solved by a change or upgrade of OS. Something I tried to do this time by upgrading to the .440 leak.

With the new .774 out I'll try it again and hopefully it will be solved. As I eluded to before I'm not the only one with this problem. There are many others with my device that have this and other similar issues. My only comment is that you wouldn't know because you don't have the same device.

Do your research before having a go! This will be my last comment (to you) on the matter unless you have something useful/helpful to add.

I don't do stupid. You'll simply drag me down to your level and beat me with experience!

Kindest regards

Mav.
    Last edited by Mavrique; 11-05-11 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Sentence re-wording.
    11-05-11 11:00 AM
    ........ If you have a shortcut that should work but doesn't, try a battery pull and see if it fixes it.
    Thanks. I tried that on numerous occasions but still no joy.

I've been hearing good things as about the latest OS from WIND. I'm planning to upgrade to .774 this evening so fingers crossed, this will no longer be an issue. Meant to upgrade yesterday but got snowed under.

Cheers.

Mav.
    11-05-11 11:13 AM
    Denial runs strong with you. Did you realize that the BlackBerry user guide for your phone is the same user guide for the 9930? BB treats them as the same device. Almost all operating procedures and OS features are the same; the exception being network mode options. Nothing to do with potential different implementations. The online manual is even called the BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 User Guide. Shortcuts on mine are the same as yours and there is nothing to debate about that fact. Fact is fact and you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because some users complain of the same issue, its still an ISSUE - multiple users having the same problem doesn't mean its not a problem any more. If you have a pw set and pressing K from the home screen doesn't pw lock your device, then your device isn't functioning properly, period. One of us needs to do more homework for sure.
    11-05-11 11:14 AM
    FAIL! Massive FAIL!

Just because it doesn't work on my device doesn't mean its faulty!

Um, yes it does. It your device doesn't do what its supposed to do, its faulty. Either hardware or software related, but its faulty. Wait, my trackpad doesn't work, but I guess its not faulty because, well, it happened to someone else too. Oh well, maybe an OS update will fix it, even though its not faulty.
    11-05-11 11:18 AM
    Denial runs strong with you. Did you realize that the BlackBerry user guide for your phone is the same user guide for the 9930? BB treats them as the same device. Almost all operating procedures and OS features are the same; the exception being network mode options. Nothing to do with potential different implementations. The online manual is even called the BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 User Guide. Shortcuts on mine are the same as yours and there is nothing to debate about that fact. Fact is fact and you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because some users complain of the same issue, its still an ISSUE - multiple users having the same problem doesn't mean its not a problem any more. If you have a pw set and pressing K from the home screen doesn't pw lock your device, then your device isn't functioning properly, period. One of us needs to do more homework for sure.
    God you're dim! Read the very well written post by Tonis post #29. Then go do some research!
    11-05-11 11:24 AM
    God you're dim! Read the very well written post by Tonis post #29. Then go do some research!

So just because some are reporting it no longer works, its not a bug/issue/faulty? Whatever. You are so thick in the head there is clearly no way to make you understand. Enjoy your faulty device.
    11-05-11 11:27 AM
    So just because some are reporting it no longer works, its not a bug/issue/faulty? Whatever. You are so thick in the head there is clearly no way to make you understand. Enjoy your faulty device.
    You really are spectacularly dim! Of course its an issue. That's what I and many others have been saying. This is a 9900 (OS specific) issue . Clearly one that does not affect you or many others with the 9930. Read my posts (on this) I have been very consistent. As I quoted before '... better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.'

There endeth the lesson!
    11-05-11 11:49 AM
    I know somebody knows the answer to this. On my Storm When I locked the screen it displayed my user info (name, address, if found message) and eventually the screen went to black. On my 9930 I have the same info where it says is the user info, but when I lock the screen it just goes to black. Is there some way to have it display my info then go black?
    11-05-11 12:10 PM
    Anyone know of an app that uses the lock/mute button to fully lock the phone?
    11-05-11 12:46 PM
    You really are spectacularly dim! Of course its an issue. That's what I and many others have been saying. This is a 9900 (OS specific) issue . Clearly one that does not affect you or many others with the 9930. Read my posts (on this) I have been very consistent. As I quoted before '... better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.'

There endeth the lesson!

Yes, consistently saying that I must not know anything about it because I don't have a 9900. And you state clearly above that "just because it doesn't work on my device doesn't mean its faulty." So is it faulty or not?

Unsubscribed. You are painful.
    11-05-11 01:20 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD