Even though I think the wifi hotspot functionality is great, it is going to kill your battery quick.
    I concur^ . I have it on another device and I use it while on the charger as it will drain battery pretty quick. So just slap it into it's pod and your good to go.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told it's $20 for 2GBs (or something ridiculous like that).
    Your absolutely correct. It is $20/2GB. And if you go over by even .0001kb it's another $20/1GB. So it would pay to watch your usage. It should be more like 500mb/$5 for each additional. It's almost like Verizon is tempting customers to tether illegally to get around the over priced hot spot fee. It does rock tho for the convenience.

No carrier has it. Why do they have to get into carrier deals ? In the UK theres no Carrier deals with Android or any other OS so why should RIM ?
    You guys are GSM tho right? Any unlocked GSM device will work and get around alot of carrier BS that way.
    Last edited by cbreze; 08-22-11 at 07:00 PM.
    08-22-11 06:53 PM
    Bell Mobility is implementing it's HotSpot feature with their 9900s, but have no plans to offer UMA now, or in the foreseeable future...
    08-22-11 06:59 PM
    UMA sounds brilliant. We don't have it here at all.
    08-22-11 07:12 PM
    Hotspot functionality is a must-have for me... great for emergencies.
    08-22-11 07:14 PM
    Hotspot functionality is a must-have for me... great for emergencies.
    I must admit, I found it really helpful at times when the family went away and we were able to surf the web on 2 ipads and a playbook at the same time.

Normally, it's not a big deal as we have wifi at home. But when travelling, it's a life saver.
    08-22-11 07:16 PM
    I don't have it on my personal berry, but love it on my work one. Especially when going to the depths of the city. Nothing but WiFi....
    08-22-11 07:19 PM
    I must admit, I found it really helpful at times when the family went away and we were able to surf the web on 2 ipads and a playbook at the same time.

Normally, it's not a big deal as we have wifi at home. But when travelling, it's a life saver.
    Ditto... I have it at work and at home, but every now and then, when away, it is cool that I can power all our devices.
    08-22-11 07:35 PM
    If you go through the files on the 9900, you will find Wifi Hotspot, but it has not been activated.
    08-22-11 10:12 PM
    Hoping it comes to Verizon soon. I would pay the 20 bucks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 10:30 PM
    The great thing (here) is Mobile Hotspot is free. With all phones (that support it) and carriers.

I don't understand why they didn't enable it on unlocked - SIM free - unbranded phones. It's very common in Europe, Asia and Australia.
    08-22-11 10:34 PM
    Any updates? Any inside sources?
    08-30-11 11:47 AM
    still no information as to when this will be coming?

I am guess it will be in the next leak or something ? Im with bell and before the phone got released it said will enable wifi hotspot with software upgrade after launch. but i am still waiting for it.
    09-03-11 03:05 PM
    Same here. Although im with Telus, once 1 releases it, i'm sure the rest will follow but havent got any news about this either.
    09-04-11 08:52 PM
    T-Mobile in the US said they expect a release that enables both UMA and mobile hotspot functionality sometime in the future. At least two reps I spoke to seemed to think it would be a November-ish time frame but take that with a huge grain of salt!
    09-04-11 09:05 PM
    Still hearing end of October for Bell Mobility.
    09-04-11 09:51 PM
    i agree the hotspot is a big deal, but 4G is much faster if you have the coverage. and you can always get a stand alone mi-fi device. not as good as having it on the phone, but i will take a 4G mi-fi separate device over a 3G mobile hotspot on the phone any day.

it cost more, for for me it's worth it.
    09-04-11 10:44 PM
    Still waiting for RIM / Anyone to reveal whats happening ?
    09-05-11 05:58 PM
    but i will take a 4G mi-fi separate device over a 3G mobile hotspot on the phone any day.
    Problem with that is 4G/LTE(whatever) is not nearly the coverage as 3G and is not where alot of people need it to be. So I'm just fine with my 3G hotspot and find it pretty fast enough.

Still waiting for RIM / Anyone to reveal whats happening ?
    I thought this was a verizon thing coming as an update later. RIM already has the software piece in the phones. Not sure thats right but if so then the ball is in Verizon's court and they move about as fast as RIM anyway.
    Last edited by cbreze; 09-05-11 at 06:04 PM.
    09-05-11 06:02 PM
    I cant wait for this feature to be activated. I dont know why it is taking Carriers so long when every iphone has this feature and the Carriers did activate it.
    09-07-11 07:28 AM
    I cant wait for this feature to be activated. I dont know why it is taking Carriers so long when every iphone has this feature and the Carriers did activate it.

Why don't you ask your carrier. Again, who really cares which phone has what? If you are not happy with you unit, then I suggest you return it. You can always buy an iphone as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-07-11 09:48 AM
    Any more news about WiFi Mobile Hotspot on the 9930? I'd use this feature.
    09-25-11 06:54 PM
    Bell Canada and Telus Canada say they WILL release it with an update. Who knows may be in six years. LOL
    09-25-11 07:42 PM
    While I was at work the other day I decided to look at the list of known issues for our 9930 and I see they had a article on Hotspot so I read it. Basically it was saying that the box has Hotspot capable on it but that feature won't be available until the 7.1 software release scheduled for Q4 but most likely Nov/Dec. That's exactly what it said. I swear. I was surprised when I saw it because of the 7.1 part

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-25-11 10:26 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD