Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you had any update about any Wifi Hotspot coming for the 9900?

Thanks
    08-19-11 04:18 PM
    Not sure about the 9900, but you can get it from Verizon on the 9930 for $20 a month extra. (not worth it for me, but I can see how it would be a great deal for some!)
    08-19-11 05:27 PM
    $20 per month? That sounds a bit steep, do you get unlimited data with that or something? (I don't know how your networks work in the States)
    08-19-11 05:30 PM
    $20 per month? That sounds a bit steep, do you get unlimited data with that or something? (I don't know how your networks work in the States)
    Ya, on my current plan I have unlimited data. The data plan (unlimited) is $30, and then the $20 for hotspot would be added on top.
    08-19-11 05:32 PM
    Hotspot isn't available yet on the 9900 series....not available on any BlackBerry to my knowledge.
    08-19-11 05:41 PM
    Hotspot isn't available yet on the 9900 series....not available on any BlackBerry to my knowledge.
    not sure if you read my post, but its available on the 9930.

It's a Verizon option. Carrier specific
    08-19-11 05:58 PM
    $20? That is cheap compared to other platforms.
    08-19-11 06:01 PM
    not sure if you read my post, but its available on the 9930.

It's a Verizon option. Carrier specific
    Umm, no. You're talking about tethering. Verizon offers tethering for $20 which you can do via USB or Bluetooth. You can not connect to it via WiFi. I just read a rumor that some guy was told by Telus that they will open it up on their devices within 30 days. I would guess Verizon will do the same. Though you will still have to pay $20/month for it, unless you use an app like Tether or Fixmo Extend and they add the ability to use it via WiFi.
    08-19-11 07:04 PM
    ^this specifically said "would you like to add mobile hotspot to your plan"

I know they have tethering too, but this definitely said mobile hotspot...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 07:08 PM
    Said "would you like to add mobile hotspot to your plan" on what? I spoke with Verizon techs today and asked if they had plans to release an official OS w/ either NFC or WiFi hotspot. He said he doesn't know of any plans but that NFC is definitely built in (as we all know from the .340 leak) but he can't say for sure if it has a transceiver for WiFi hotspot. If I was able to use my phone as a hotspot and connect my laptop to it he would have told me it was already available.
    08-19-11 07:15 PM
    I ordered online. As I was checking out it had options for the 9930 that you could check/uncheck. One was "mobile hotspot" - $20 /month.

Don't know if it was a typo or a mistake since I didn't order it. But that's what it said.

And the cs reps usually don't know much (though you get a good one from time to time who really know their stuff)

Last edited by SaMaster14; 08-19-11 at 07:30 PM.
    08-19-11 07:27 PM
    Some reps sometimes refer hotspot as tethering through your phone using Bluetooth or usb. We're actually refering to "WIFI Hotspot". So you can broadcast an SSID and let any Wifi device use its connection. This would make the playbook reach even high internet speed.
    08-19-11 09:56 PM
    3G Mobile Hotspot & Mobile Broadband Connect

Select Smartphones can be used as a modem for notebooks with a USB cable or 3G Mobile Hotspot on up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices. 2GB data/mo included

"Select Smartphones" does not include Blackberries as it pertains to the hotspot. Someone did post where an update was coming to Telus 9900 users for hotspot capabilities in the next 30 days.
    08-19-11 10:07 PM
    if the hotspot were an option, it would be pushed to your phone and you would see an icon to activate it.
    otacon#AC likes this.
    08-19-11 10:15 PM
    Someone else on another threat reported telus confirmed it was coming withing 30 days. Take that as you will. Personally doesn't do me any good.

08-19-11 10:27 PM
    Thanks all. Waiting for this feature. Its so handy for me.
    08-20-11 09:56 PM
    I ordered online. As I was checking out it had options for the 9930 that you could check/uncheck. One was "mobile hotspot" - $20 /month.

Don't know if it was a typo or a mistake since I didn't order it. But that's what it said.

And the cs reps usually don't know much (though you get a good one from time to time who really know their stuff)

It's tethering, hotspot is not available on Verizon 9930, nor I believe on any other BB 7 device at this point
    08-21-11 03:47 PM
    We don't know for certain if the hardware is capable but we do know that none of the SW loads to date support wifi hotspot feature...

PG
    08-21-11 04:03 PM
    08-21-11 08:15 PM
    Even though I think the wifi hotspot functionality is great, it is going to kill your battery quick. I have my iphone 4 acting as a hotspot and the battery dies in a couple of hours...it is just not practical to use a smartphone as a hotspot in my opinion, tethering is a much battery-saving option..just a thought

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-21-11 08:56 PM
    Ya, on my current plan I have unlimited data. The data plan (unlimited) is $30, and then the $20 for hotspot would be added on top.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I was told it's $20 for 2GBs (or something ridiculous like that).
    08-21-11 08:57 PM
    are you kidding? no way. the hotspot rocks.

Even though I think the wifi hotspot functionality is great, it is going to kill your battery quick. I have my iphone 4 acting as a hotspot and the battery dies in a couple of hours...it is just not practical to use a smartphone as a hotspot in my opinion, tethering is a much battery-saving option..just a thought

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-21-11 09:16 PM
    I've recently bought a Blackberry 9900 for this feature and if its not there then its really pathetic. RIM, Will you ever get it right you bunch of numpties !!!!
    08-22-11 07:31 AM
    I've recently bought a Blackberry 9900 for this feature and if its not there then its really pathetic. RIM, Will you ever get it right you bunch of numpties !!!!
    Don't ding RIM. This is a carrier by carrier decision. If you don't have it (or it isn't on the way), go thump your mobile carrier!
    08-22-11 08:19 AM
    Don't ding RIM. This is a carrier by carrier decision. If you don't have it (or it isn't on the way), go thump your mobile carrier!
    No carrier has it. Why do they have to get into carrier deals ? In the UK theres no Carrier deals with Android or any other OS so why should RIM ?

Is it because in the US they get rail roaded by your carriers but then the rest of the world should not suffer.
    08-22-11 06:21 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD