I know this question was and is being asked to exhaustion, but was there a SOLUTION for this? My messages are being deleted on a consistent basis. Not even after 30 days,but just after a couple of days. Maybe each time I restart it (by removing the battery) or something. Yes, I have a 16 GB SD card that has lots of space. My Built-in Media Storage shows 3.6 GM of Free Space out of 6.2 GM. I beg for help. This is killing me. Thanks Fellas!
    03-05-13 04:36 PM
    1- As far as I know, SMS are NOT stored on the SD card or Build In Media Storage, and NO, there is no way you can change that.
    The MEDIA storage (build in or external ) is for MEDIA - not messages.
    So the free storage you have there is irrelevant.

2- When file storage is getting low, the phone automaticallyt start to delete old messages

3- Therte is an settings to indicated how long you want to keep messages in "Messages / Options / Message Display and Options / Days to keep messages"
    BUT when the phone is getting low in memory, it will start to delete messages, REGARDLESS of that setting.

How much memory available do you have ?
    Look under Options / Device / Device and Status Information / Free Memory.

Extra reading .. if you care

KB02843-What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
    KB14213-Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone
    KB14320-How to maximize battery life and free memory on the BlackBerry smartphone

If you regularly back up your BB to a computer, you will have the SMS messages database in the condition at the time of backup, and with a succession of those, you would basically have what you need.

KB03974-BlackBerry smartphone database list
    You would need a 3rd party app to parse the backup files so as to be readable...there are several free ones out there

You would need a 3rd party app to parse the backup

By the way, this is not a problem , it is a limitation for the sake of safety.
    Shaigetz likes this.
    03-05-13 05:16 PM
    I know this question was and is being asked to exhaustion, but was there a SOLUTION for this? My messages are being deleted on a consistent basis. Not even after 30 days,but just after a couple of days. Maybe each time I restart it (by removing the battery) or something. Yes, I have a 16 GB SD card that has lots of space. My Built-in Media Storage shows 3.6 GM of Free Space out of 6.2 GM. I beg for help. This is killing me. Thanks Fellas!
    Perhaps you can use a tool like txtForward to automagically forward all SMS messages to Email -that way you can have them stored forever...

I've been using this app for years - and it has operated without a glitch...

BlackBerry World - txtForward - SMS Backup to Email
    Shaigetz likes this.
    03-05-13 05:28 PM
    Thanks much for your detailed reply. I will read those links as soon as I have a few minutes. My free memory is at 40769838. How do I lower that? Also, I understood what you said about Media Storage but why is that so? why doesn't the device use available space for the SMS and emails? If I transferred all my videos to the SD card, shouldn't this create space for the other stuff I need?

Additionally, what do you mean for the sake of safety?
    03-05-13 06:11 PM
    It should NOT delete any messages older than 30 days unless maybe you are running low on memory. I have some messages from 2 years ago still on my bb. Go to messages (not text messages) and then click the menu button. Go to options. Choose message display and actions. Scroll all the way down.

Look for days to keep messages and change your option there. That might be the solution.
    03-23-13 02:34 PM
    I would check how long you have set as the default for keeping messages.
    1. Open main Messages app.
    2. Click MENU key. (i.e. BB logo)
    3. Click O and select Options.
    4. Select 1st item, Message Display and Actions.
    5. Scroll to very bottom. Last item in Actions is Days To Keep Messages.
    6. Set to desired result.
    03-24-13 07:19 AM