This is really annoying. When scrolling through anything on my 9930, just touching the screen to scroll highlights the selection that my finger touches. Simple example - just go into main options and scroll down and see how the highlighted choice continues to change as you scroll. Android and iOS don't highlight anything and can tell the difference between when you are just scrolling and when you are selecting something. I'm guessing that's left over coding from the Storm touchpress disaster.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone is running an OS version on a 9900 or 9930 that doesn't do this. I know I can't run a 9900 os on my 9930, just wondering if a version exists that fixes this behavior to give me some hope for a future version for the 9930.

Thanks
    12-02-11 11:17 AM
    OS Version 7/503 definitely behaves as you described. Mildly annoying I agree.
    12-02-11 11:37 AM
    OS .503 definitely doesn't behave the way you described.

OS .296 that my device shipped with certainly did though... but this was fixed on the 9900 in OS .353

Don't know about the 9930 though.
    12-02-11 11:49 AM
    OS .503 definitely doesn't behave the way you described.
    Hmmm ... If I'm scrolling through a long list (the OP suggested going to "Options" and then testing), every scrolling action selects a new item in the list. It's not my intent to select anything, but a new selection occurs every time (typically the bottom item on the screen since the scrolling action starts at the bottom). I tested with other long lists as well, e.g., email.

Note that the selected item doesn't open, but the highlight does change.

I don't have my iPad or Playbook here at work to see how they behave, but a touch screen shouldn't select an item when the user is scrolling. And, of course, the item doesn't open ...

My BB9000 with .503 definitely selects an item when I scroll on the touch screen. Doesn't bug me too much since I tend to use the trackpad.

Phill_UK, you're saying that a new item doesn't get selected when you initiate the scrolling motion? Not sure how our devices would be different.
    12-02-11 12:36 PM
    Phill_UK, you're saying that a new item doesn't get selected when you initiate the scrolling motion? Not sure how our devices would be different.
    Sorry mate, I only read the first line of the OP's post... and jumped to completely the wrong conclusion

For some reason I thought he was talking about scrolling in the browser, when random links would annoyingly open in earlier OS builds. That issue was fixed in .353

You are of course correct... items do indeed get highlighted whilst scrolling in menus.
    urbanguy likes this.
    12-02-11 12:53 PM
    Well, looks like it hasn't been addressed then in any os versions so far. Maybe they don't even realize it's a bug? Maybe not a bug, but certainly a pervasive annoyance.
    12-02-11 05:02 PM
    Found a lot of things annoying when I first got the 9930 over 4 months ago. After getting used to its "annoyances" and adjusting trackpad and touchscreen parameters I wouldn't want it any other way. Guitars suck too until you get good at adjusting, customizing and playing them!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-11 08:47 PM
    I actually think that it depends on the content. when you go the the options page and scroll, every entry on that page opens something,hence the highlighting. now my Torch was annoying. if I touched anything the entire page would highlight, had to close then reopen page. this OS is fine.
    12-02-11 09:20 PM
    You can also turn off the touch and hold popup menu. Its located in your touch screen options under typing and language.

12-02-11 10:29 PM
    You can also turn off the touch and hold popup menu. Its located in your touch screen options under typing and language.

I use the popup all the time.

Anyhow, maybe rim will notice it and address? ........yeah, I just chuckled at that too.
    12-02-11 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD