I love my 9930 but I was wondering how to put this NFC thing to use. I want to put my credit card info somewhere in this thing so I can use it at places like gas stations. I don't see any type of app on the device that would let me do this. I'm guessing this can't be done yet or am I missing something here?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 12:43 AM
    Can't be done yet.
    09-05-11 12:45 AM
    It simply cant be done yet and I think the US carriers are blocking use of the NFC, I hear there are a bunch of carriers that are working with credit card companies and banks to have terminals installed that utilize NFC but I think the cell phone carriers will want you to use their program or app to use NFC. I think thats how its all going down right now, so from my understanding it will be implemented in the near future most likely starting with the banks. If I helped dont forget to click the Thanks button!
    09-05-11 12:48 AM
    NFC is just the technology that will support the use of payments, etc. Carriers, Banks, Credit Card Companies and Merchants will release apps that make use of this technology eventually. You can't use it just yet, and it's not because the Carriers are blocking it. It's just like bluetooth was on computers for many years. It was installed, but no peripherals were available to use it.
    09-05-11 06:52 AM
    09-05-11 08:37 AM
    It simply cant be done yet and I think the US carriers are blocking use of the NFC,
    Have you done any research before posting your answer, man?

I don't own a Blackberry, but what OP is looking for has been pushed out by Google to NFC-enabled Android devices through service called Google Wallet. I own a Sprint Nexus 4G S and I can now use it as a payment card at PayPass locations. Two ways to set up payments: one is to link your Citi MasterCard to Google Wallet, another is to pre-pay through any source to Google and use your pre-paid balance as source of funds.

So, in short, Sprint is NOT blocking NFC functionality and AFAIK Sprint can do very little to limit any functionality on Android devices due to the Google's Android license. I would imagine control freaks AT&T and Verizon having a much harder time allowing users do whatever they want, though.
    Last edited by vindimy; 09-26-11 at 06:23 PM. Reason: expanded
    09-26-11 06:19 PM
    Sprint does not block the nfc like verizon and T-mobile
    johnmarki likes this.
    09-26-11 06:25 PM
    Sprint does not block the nfc like verizon and T-mobile
    well that's good news... Maybe the 9900 will be their second official nfc handsdt

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 07:28 PM
    Have you done any research before posting your answer, man?

I don't own a Blackberry, but what OP is looking for has been pushed out by Google to NFC-enabled Android devices through service called Google Wallet. I own a Sprint Nexus 4G S and I can now use it as a payment card at PayPass locations. Two ways to set up payments: one is to link your Citi MasterCard to Google Wallet, another is to pre-pay through any source to Google and use your pre-paid balance as source of funds.

So, in short, Sprint is NOT blocking NFC functionality and AFAIK Sprint can do very little to limit any functionality on Android devices due to the Google's Android license. I would imagine control freaks AT&T and Verizon having a much harder time allowing users do whatever they want, though.
    Maybe your the one that needs to do the research before you post Mr. First and ONLY Post. He was asking about Blackberry's, NOT Android. Everything I said is true and accurate when it comes to Blackberry. OH BUT WAIT! What would you know, you dont own a Blackberry....

Get your facts straight before you post nonsense. It just confuses other people.

PROOF!:Blackberry NFC Being Blocked!

And maybe if you do a search in the forums you will find that there are threads discussing NFC being blocked by carriers....

Seriously, dont lecture me.
    Last edited by DannyJK; 09-26-11 at 09:51 PM.
    09-26-11 09:44 PM
    Speaking of NFC is that what we need to look for when we get the softtware on our phones?

Update: frack!! The attachement is not displaying! :-(
    Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by big samm; 09-26-11 at 10:50 PM.
    09-26-11 10:48 PM
    here you go guys sorry for the 2 previous posts, tapatalk is giving me problems... But like i said before is this the terminal for NFC?
    Attachment 94285
    09-27-11 12:06 AM
    I predict the first prominent use you will see is not credit cards at all, but advertising (like the QR code stuff). And specific use cases like events ticketing, etc.

The barrier is it will be years before all merchants have terminals that can do NFC. Hardly anyone except the big guys and chain stores are even looking at installing it. No independents.
    09-27-11 12:10 AM
    But i thought the mastercard paypass system was using nfc... If it's not NFC what are they using?
    09-27-11 12:24 AM
    But i thought the mastercard paypass system was using nfc... If it's not NFC what are they using?
    Yes it is.
    09-27-11 12:27 AM
    So the terminal i just posted above is NFC compatible? im talking about the current paypass system, not the google wallet thing
    09-27-11 12:35 AM
    So the terminal i just posted above is NFC compatible? im talking about the current paypass system, not the google wallet thing
    Yes it should be.
    09-27-11 01:23 AM
    If it is, alot of merchant won't need to change their current terminal at least here in Canada. I see them all over the place, gas stations, tim hortons , convenient stores, etc... Sure the little independent guys won't have them right away but they eventually will... So all we really need now is a Rim E wallet and we shoukd be good to go!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-27-11 01:45 AM
    You filling up at Couche ****? What is your cost per litre/gallon up there? Just curious as I am heading to Canada next week.
    09-27-11 07:46 AM
    That was a Petro Canada gas station... I don't think couche **** have them yet. Maybe a couple of them!
    1,33 the liter!! Freaking expensif!

09-27-11 08:16 AM
    You filling up at Couche ****? What is your cost per litre/gallon up there? Just curious as I am heading to Canada next week.
    the price for gas right now in Toronto is $1.21/L ...

That was a Petro Canada gas station... I don't think couche **** have them yet. Maybe a couple of them!

petro in Toronto uses VISA NFC .. just tap your credit card and ur good to go..

If you guys want to test if your NFC works order some SAMPLE NFC tags ... i forget the company name.. but they are in europe somewhere.. they sent me 3 types of tags..

one business card, one flyer and 4 stickers..

works really well... nice and fast..
    09-27-11 09:58 AM

Damn now I have to convert to real dollars. Just kidding.

I thought I read somewhere that Couche **** had them. Of course like a typical knucklehead if I find something that might be useful I always forget to book mark it.

Like the free NFC website.
    09-27-11 10:32 AM
    I can tell you you should start to see NFC starting to come out around February 2012 from major financial institutions. Now with some carriers becoming banks. (Not mentionaing any names here) You will see them enter the market as well.

The reason why I say Feb 2012 is thats whats on my project plan for implimentation to the consumer. (Canada)

Not saying any more so i don't breach my NDA. But I'm excited to start the trials late October.
    09-27-11 10:45 AM
    I can tell you you should start to see NFC starting to come out around February 2012 from major financial institutions. Now with some carriers becoming banks. (Not mentionaing any names here) You will see them enter the market as well.

The reason why I say Feb 2012 is thats whats on my project plan for implimentation to the consumer. (Canada)

Not saying any more so i don't breach my NDA. But I'm excited to start the trials late October.

Screw the NDA. It's Rogers, and it's no secret. Should be up and running by next year as long as Revenue Canada lets it slide.

Zoompass is also in Beta trials for NFC capability.

EDIT to clarify. Zoompass NFC has been in trials for almost a year now using a 'sticker' that is placed on handsets. The latest trial incorporates NFC capable devices. For those of you that don't know what Zoompass is, visit www.zoompass.com.

max
    Last edited by Max_Powers; 09-27-11 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Add info
    09-27-11 10:52 AM
    Screw the NDA. It's Rogers, and it's no secret. Should be up and running by next year as long as Revenue Canada lets it slide.

Zoompass is also in Beta trials for NFC capability.

EDIT to clarify. Zoompass NFC has been in trials for almost a year now using a 'sticker' that is placed on handsets. The latest trial incorporates NFC capable devices. For those of you that don't know what Zoompass is, visit www.zoompass.com.

max

Actually it's not Rogers. Rogers is a year out as they are getting their banking licence and thats not scheduled to be complted till next year. And other who are using a sticker type thing is not true mobile banking. There is no security with that. You may as well put sticky tape to the back of your phone with your existing Paypass/Paywave card and it's the same thing.

True mobile banking has real time pairing of the credit card or payment type with the phone and can be blown away just as easy. Also it will give you realtime balance updates and use the GPS to push offers to your phone when you go places. There is a lot of exciting stuff on it's way.

BTW after my status meeting yesterday it looks like we are delayed till March for public launch and Dec for our trials.

Most vendors here in North America are not ready yet with their API's to talk to RIM. (RIM keeps changing them on the fly on us)
    09-28-11 09:16 AM
    The following is some information from a trade publication that is not published online.

VeriFone will include NFC in all of it's upcoming POS products.

By 2018 Every POS will have NFC.

As a merchant there is no reason to replace your equipment right now BUT if your POS is aging might as well have it included.

Isis will begin testing in 2012 in Austin and Salt Lake City.

Payment and Card Issuers are pushing for the transition.

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.aitegroup.com/Reports/Rep...cordItemID=833
    The equipment/devices are ready now but the software is well behind.
    09-28-11 12:21 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD