They want you to be outside the 30 day window for iphone5! :0)
    mikeyg164 likes this.
    07-30-11 10:56 AM
    I am really disappointed at&t is holding up this phone; I am really looking forward to it my palm pre plus is pretty much the equivalent of what the blackberry storm was for many blackberry users, only with the addition of viva la cheap construction and many "promised" features that were never delivered. For me the natural upgrade would be the Blackberry torch 2 (9810) because it’s the same slider 3.1/3.2 inches, and at&t is ready to push that one out the door, but the Bold just seems like RIM's baby, and there's a reason why it’s their flagship device. It has the 2nd best screen in the whole smartphone industry as far as ppi goes (285ppi which is pretty damn good) while the torch is at 249ppi (which is still fairly decent) but i don’t understand why RIM decided to use the same resolution for a phone that is 4 inches larger. In prerelease videos the bb9900 is buttery smooth and snappy, where the t2 seems to still be working out the quirks (and ironically at&t would approve a phone that looks like it could use a few more months in testing before a phone that looks ready to go) Lastly, the construction of the bb9900 is absolutely stunning. The whole stainless steel, battery cover pattern, large perfected keyboard, beautiful display, it's the real deal. I can't help to say that the torch 2 just doesn't have the perfected attention.

Regardless though, I can't wait to jump to any blackberry. If you guys say that RIM has doom and gloom, just take some time on precentral and you will find RIM isn't as closed off and provincial as you think. For the competition i just don't find andriod appealing based off usage from my friend's phone and videos ( it’s very laggy considering how much "ahead" the hardware is, and software is very unrefined). Iphone my family all has but i can't stand apple's arrogance or their lack of concern for workers’ rights and lives at foxconn. I've tried a WP7 Samsung Focus phone but within 3 days i returned it because I just couldn’t stand the lack of ergonomics (hardware and poorly designed OS) and basic basic features you would expect out of any smartphone. The viva la cheap plastic construction also struck back to me as d�j� vu, so back that phone went.

Sorry for babbling on and on just everyday some new sh*t happens with my pre that makes me want to throw it out the window sometimes yet, there is nothing out that can replace it atm.
    Last edited by irockster9; 07-30-11 at 01:14 PM.
    07-30-11 01:04 PM
    This is a good sign! Tester unit?
    That picture is from BB World, formerly known as WES.
    07-30-11 01:43 PM
    AT&T is still punch drunk from iPhone sales....BlackBerry always takes a back seat to Apple...its obviouos. At my local corporate att store, there is 2 walls full of iphones, all connected to wifi and they all have nice ceiling lights pointing down at them....and then, in the back of the store in a dimly lit section, there are 2 BlackBerry's and neither one are connected to wifi, so needless to say everytime I go in there, I turn wifi on With all the being said; it doesnt surprise me that ATT would push the 9900 back to make room for all the kool - aid kids wanting a regergitated iphone.
    07-30-11 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the info guys... It appears as if i'll be switching to verizon.
    07-30-11 03:04 PM
    Guys the truth is that this has very little to do with iPhone 5 right now. If the marketing people were going to hold it up it would be held post field testing. There is a reason why this device hasn't made it out of the lab and it is a technical reason not a marketing reason...

And I agree with CX on the perspective that it won't happen (at least on at&t) before October.

PG
    PG,

If I buy it on Rogers, as we all know its the same freq as AT&T, do you think it will be an issue because of some tech issues when I use it on the AT&T network?
    07-30-11 04:22 PM
    That picture is from BB World, formerly known as WES.
    But its running at&t 3g. Also in this vid . If these arent att branded does that mean these are a go for at&t reguardless?
    They say special thanks to Negri electronics. May look into putting in a pre order there too

Edit: well i pre-ordered there and Clove, will see which one releases first. Negris list 850/19002100 tri-band3g bands on their site( maybe they are releasing just one GSM world wide?) or would that have to be quad band lol heck i dont know lol.
    Last edited by ratchetjaw; 07-30-11 at 05:33 PM.
    07-30-11 05:16 PM
    But its running at&t 3g. Also in this vid . If these arent att branded does that mean these are a go for at&t reguardless?
    They say special thanks to Negri electronics. May look into putting in a pre order there too

Edit: well i pre-ordered there and Clove, will see which one releases first. Negris list 850/19002100 tri-band3g bands on their site( maybe they are releasing just one GSM world wide?) or would that have to be quad band lol heck i dont know lol.
    Well it's going to show the network of the sim card. You just need to be careful when purchasing an unbranded device. You want the about screen to say "Bands 1,2,5 & 6". You just need to make sure you don't get the AWS T-Mobile version.

A Rogers branded 9900 will work on AT&T just fine.
    07-30-11 06:25 PM
    I maybe be wrong but wouldn't it benefit AT&T if it's users used Blackberrys instead of iPhones? They do consume 3x less data on average, probably cost AT&T less to buy, and their users consume less too based on the phone's features etc.
    They may cost less to buy but AT&T has to pay RIM some $$ for each BB user who has a BIS plan because they use RIM servers. I would assume the same can be said for BES users but not sure.
    07-30-11 06:25 PM
    Okay thanks, really looking forward to this phone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    07-30-11 06:37 PM
    what amazes me is that at&t is still selling the torch 1 for $399.99 no commitment pricing when the torch 2 is just around the corner.yea they cut the contract pricing to $49.99 but hey the no commitment also needs to be pushed to $150-$200.i myself am considering getting a used torch to help me wait with my upgrade in hand until whenever at&t decides to release the new bb/iphone charms.i want something new so bad but i can't overreact and buy something right now that will hurt me very bad.oh man,hate this wait.
    07-30-11 07:00 PM
    RIM just needs to sell these Babies out the door, right out their website Carrier Free!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-11 07:08 PM
    sooo, my dilemma is that i'm grandfathered in to att's unlimited data plan so i really don't want to switch carriers.
    my going-on-3-years-old bold is on it's last legs...battery dies on me halfway through the day usually.

i'd be tempted to get an unlocked rogers rather then wait another 3 months or so. maybe even otterbox it/treat it with kid gloves until the att version is released, then use my upgrade/new contract for that and sell the rogers on ebay?

the fact that this seems reasonable to me probably means i'm going off the deep end...
    07-30-11 07:32 PM
    sooo, my dilemma is that i'm grandfathered in to att's unlimited data plan so i really don't want to switch carriers.
    my going-on-3-years-old bold is on it's last legs...battery dies on me halfway through the day usually.

i'd be tempted to get an unlocked rogers rather then wait another 3 months or so. maybe even otterbox it/treat it with kid gloves until the att version is released, then use my upgrade/new contract for that and sell the rogers on ebay?

the fact that this seems reasonable to me probably means i'm going off the deep end...
    I'm in the same boat - I use a 9000 as well and going to get the Rogers 9900 when it drops.
    07-30-11 07:48 PM

A Rogers branded 9900 will work on AT&T just fine.
    Yeah, but from personal experience with using an unlocked, but Rogers branded 9780 on AT&T...Visual Voicemail won't work because Rogers doesn't provision it, although AT&T does. I hear you can do some file surgery in the OS...but I would never trust myself to do that without jacking it up.

Some folks don't give a rip about VVM, but I really like it a lot...so not having the ability to have it is a dealbreaker for me. Sooo...I dumped the 9780.

Good luck!
    07-30-11 09:00 PM
    I like vvm to but am willing to give it up and have the Rogers, then when att decides to release will pick it up and ebay the Rogers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    07-30-11 09:23 PM
    Will the rogers 9900 pick up AT&T's HSPA?

07-30-11 09:53 PM

Yes it will
    07-30-11 10:10 PM
    ok a lot to respond to here so bear with me folks...

Lol. Funny how you and I see eye to eye 99.99% of the time.

Then why is the device coming out on verizon and sprint pontentially a month in a half before AT&T?? I high doubt the testing process is that much diffrent between carriers, and I don't buy the whole AT&T does a more through job because the iphone 4 wouldn't have been release the way it was then with the whole attena issue.

Actually the at&t process for testing is much more complicated than any other US carrier and most others worldwide. Where we have failures is when our bonehead leadership signs agreements to allow a MFG to skirt that testing process (Apple). Now why is it complicated? it has to be because our network is more complicated than any other carrier. I is a hodgepodge of networks acquired through merger.

this has been at&t's problem all along.never releasing devices when they should be released.i remember how the 2008 bold fiasco turned out to be.so let me get this straight.9810 lines up to last year's torch release date.then they will do testing and more testing on the 9860 and 9900 and launch them in october or later.so in reality,at&t doesn't really care about bb.the iphone 5 is going to cash them in.iphone 5 sales are going to be off the roof.so after the september iphone 5 parade,leave the 9860/9900 to feed to the scraps in october of what is left of them.im in a strange position right now.i need a new phone badly but waiting an extra 2 months or more is going to be hectic.who knows if i will end up with the iphone 5 out of the gate.so that leaves me with what i can use right now.a cheap torch about $150-200 could make my wait easier but i have no idea where i can find one.does anyone have a spare?lol.
    Not true. RIM has not produced a unit yet that has passed lab testing for the 9900 device. iPhone 5 has nothing to do with it.

As for 2008 and the "9000 fiasco" I am not sure your memory is entirely clear on the history. I stated there were significant HW issues with this device and only a few believed me here. Went through several different pieces of HW and more SW upgrades than you can imagine. I stated that carriers in Europe were foolish for releasing it with those problems and you know what... I was right, our testing process proved right, and RIM along with the European carriers that rushed the device had to eat a very large % of those early devices...

Can 9900 be "accelerated" after the testing of torch2? I hope that is the case. I don't see a benefit from a at&t marketing perspective to keep the phone from selling.

Heck, if rim sold it, I would have taken 9900 with os6 (non touch) and upgraded to os 7 later months.

I sure hope they accelerate the release of 9900.
    Thanks to pg/cx for their support on keeping us in loop.

I am not sure it can be "accelerated" but they will try once we get through lab issues.
    I am really disappointed at&t is holding up this phone; I am really looking forward to it my palm pre plus is pretty much the equivalent of what the blackberry storm was for many blackberry users, only with the addition of viva la cheap construction and many "promised" features that were never delivered. For me the natural upgrade would be the Blackberry torch 2 (9810) because it�s the same slider 3.1/3.2 inches, and at&t is ready to push that one out the door, but the Bold just seems like RIM's baby, and there's a reason why it�s their flagship device. It has the 2nd best screen in the whole smartphone industry as far as ppi goes (285ppi which is pretty damn good) while the torch is at 249ppi (which is still fairly decent) but i don�t understand why RIM decided to use the same resolution for a phone that is 4 inches larger. In prerelease videos the bb9900 is buttery smooth and snappy, where the t2 seems to still be working out the quirks (and ironically at&t would approve a phone that looks like it could use a few more months in testing before a phone that looks ready to go) Lastly, the construction of the bb9900 is absolutely stunning. The whole stainless steel, battery cover pattern, large perfected keyboard, beautiful display, it's the real deal. I can't help to say that the torch 2 just doesn't have the perfected attention.

Regardless though, I can't wait to jump to any blackberry. If you guys say that RIM has doom and gloom, just take some time on precentral and you will find RIM isn't as closed off and provincial as you think. For the competition i just don't find andriod appealing based off usage from my friend's phone and videos ( it�s very laggy considering how much "ahead" the hardware is, and software is very unrefined). Iphone my family all has but i can't stand apple's arrogance or their lack of concern for workers� rights and lives at foxconn. I've tried a WP7 Samsung Focus phone but within 3 days i returned it because I just couldn�t stand the lack of ergonomics (hardware and poorly designed OS) and basic basic features you would expect out of any smartphone. The viva la cheap plastic construction also struck back to me as d�j� vu, so back that phone went.

Sorry for babbling on and on just everyday some new sh*t happens with my pre that makes me want to throw it out the window sometimes yet, there is nothing out that can replace it atm.
    T2 is in much better shape since we received final SW about a week ago. It's not my favorite form but it will be a huge improvement over T1.
    PG,

If I buy it on Rogers, as we all know its the same freq as AT&T, do you think it will be an issue because of some tech issues when I use it on the AT&T network?
    Will it work? Sure. However if there are HW changes between when Rogers releases and Att does you may have some annoying network issues...

PG
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-31-11 09:11 AM
    ok a lot to respond to here so bear with me folks...

Actually the at&t process for testing is much more complicated than any other US carrier and most others worldwide. Where we have failures is when our bonehead leadership signs agreements to allow a MFG to skirt that testing process (Apple). Now why is it complicated? it has to be because our network is more complicated than any other carrier. I is a hodgepodge of networks acquired through merger.

Not true. RIM has not produced a unit yet that has passed lab testing for the 9900 device. iPhone 5 has nothing to do with it.

As for 2008 and the "9000 fiasco" I am not sure your memory is entirely clear on the history. I stated there were significant HW issues with this device and only a few believed me here. Went through several different pieces of HW and more SW upgrades than you can imagine. I stated that carriers in Europe were foolish for releasing it with those problems and you know what... I was right, our testing process proved right, and RIM along with the European carriers that rushed the device had to eat a very large % of those early devices...

I am not sure it can be "accelerated" but they will try once we get through lab issues.

T2 is in much better shape since we received final SW about a week ago. It's not my favorite form but it will be a huge improvement over T1.

Will it work? Sure. However if there are HW changes between when Rogers releases and Att does you may have some annoying network issues...

PG
    How likely would it be for them to have HW changes though. I will take my chances. Will get the at&t version whenever it comes in white also
    07-31-11 09:39 AM
    1) Nobody here has any definitive info regarding AT&T's supposed "delay" with this phone. It's all simply rumor, conjecture, and a forum thread started by someone with absolutely no proven credibility whatsoever.

2) I don't understand why anyone would change carriers based on a relatively small delay in getting the phone they want. We are not small children impatient for Christmas are we (or maybe we are...lol). You should base your choice of carriers on the quality of service they provide and the deals they offer. If you end up having to wait 2 or 3 more weeks for a 9900 with AT&T and you otherwise have no reason to switch carriers (which let's face it is a hassle in itself) then just wait for the freakin' phone!

ibcop likes this.
    07-31-11 10:13 AM
    PG, CX was saying that 9900 hardware is all done and software is holding it up.
    But your comments imply that there could be hardware issues as well.

It's unlikely that verizon would release the phone with hardware issues, or you are implying that these hardware issues are limited only to GSM phones??
    07-31-11 11:03 AM
    Just curious if you gents think AT&T will release the 9900 on the hopeful dates of the 3rd, 15th or 21st of August? I keep reading posts and rumors that suggest otherwise but is there any real chance? Just wanted to sum this up in one thread.
    I'm sure that Apple won't let AT&T!
    07-31-11 03:23 PM
    1) Nobody here has any definitive info regarding AT&T's supposed "delay" with this phone. It's all simply rumor, conjecture, and a forum thread started by someone with absolutely no proven credibility whatsoever.

2) I don't understand why anyone would change carriers based on a relatively small delay in getting the phone they want. We are not small children impatient for Christmas are we (or maybe we are...lol). You should base your choice of carriers on the quality of service they provide and the deals they offer. If you end up having to wait 2 or 3 more weeks for a 9900 with AT&T and you otherwise have no reason to switch carriers (which let's face it is a hassle in itself) then just wait for the freakin' phone!

Speaking for myself. I have service with Sprint, Verizon and At&t. Right niw my primary is att. All get about same coverage voice wise. I like phones and will switch in a heart best if the phone i want is elsewhere. Its a hobby can get expensive but heck i dont golf lol. I think this Bold 9900 /Playbook combo will stop my madness lol for awhile
    07-31-11 04:40 PM

Indeed it will.

How likely would it be for them to have HW changes though. I will take my chances. Will get the at&t version whenever it comes in white also
    Quite possible. Just look at the 9000.

Speak for yourself. There are a couple of us that are quite intimate with AT&T and are completely aware of what's happening.

PG, CX was saying that 9900 hardware is all done and software is holding it up.
    But your comments imply that there could be hardware issues as well.

It's unlikely that verizon would release the phone with hardware issues, or you are implying that these hardware issues are limited only to GSM phones??
    The HW is "good enough" for many carriers. Not for AT&T though. The 9900 has been in the lab for over a month now. Basically this means AT&T has found problems unrelated to software issues that need to be addressed. There is much speculation about this, but that bottom line is if it was ready, it would be in the same position as the 9810. <-- Almost ready for release.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-31-11 07:02 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD