Not that the 9900 not getting QNX will stop me from buying this unit, but I really do wonder. If it won't be getting QNX, does that mean we won't see a QNX phone till longer (2013 as opposed to 2012), and an interim incremental upgrade to the 9900 coming out next year like we saw with the 9780 in 2010 vs the 9700 in 2009? If the first phones running QNX are to be released next year, does that make the 9900 a stop-gap device?

What do you think?
    05-16-11 10:53 PM
    That's a question lots of people had been asking. I think QNX coming to 9900 is slim to none at the moment. In fact, I don't think we can expect to see any QNX phone before 2012, maybe even 2013.

Of course 9900 is a first real blackberry phone in a long time to have a decent processor and any kind of GPU, so it might be eligible for some sort of software upgrade in the future... Who knows.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 11:03 PM
    probably not, but i don't expect it to either.

i have an option of upgrading my 8330 to run os5. I chose not to because the phone isn't that fast running 4.5. considering this, i doubt very much that not releasing os5 would've made any difference

i'm beginning to suspect that the primary reason why the whiners in the other thread annoy me is because they just want upgradability just for the sake of upgradability as most seem clueless about the capability of the phone's hardware.
    05-16-11 11:09 PM
    probably not, but i don't expect it to either.

i have an option of upgrading my 8330 to run os5. I chose not to because the phone isn't that fast running 4.5. considering this, i doubt very much that not releasing os5 would've made any difference

i'm beginning to suspect that the primary reason why the whiners in the other thread annoy me is because they just want upgradability just for the sake of upgradability as most seem clueless about the capability of the phone's hardware.
    I have to ask: Do you know what you are talking about? This is QNX we are talking about. The upgrade from 4.5 to 5 is not similar to the upgrade from 7 to QNX. We are going from a java based OS to a real time Unix-like based OS. There is a world of difference. This is a revolutionary step.

I wish there was an unlike button or the opposite of thanks, because you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Ignorance doesn't bother me. It's okay; just learn. But passing judgment all the while being ignorant yourself just really makes you look stupid.
    adam917, Big_Ern, hdizzle and 2 others like this.
    05-16-11 11:35 PM
    And to the OP, I would highly doubt Rim would release QNX for blackberry devices. If what phonegeek keeps posting is true, then the 9900 is coming out in Aug. Do you really think Rim would release 7.0 or any device for only 9 months just to have QNX come out? I think not. It would be too fast for Rim (maybe not for android phones, bleh).

Remember, Rim is very very slow. Snail slow. They just implemented a webkit browser less than a year ago when everyone else had one. Devices like the monaco and curve touch have all been delayed. Those 7.0 phones have to debut first before QNX for blackberry does. lol, it will definitely be a long time. I would expect another refresh on the 9900 before QNX hits blackberries. This is all speculation, but knowing Rim and using common sense, there is no way they are unveiling QNX for blackberry on 2012. There are no spy pics of BBs running QNX (at least that I know of). Forget QNX, carriers are just starting to test 7.0. Thus, QNX must hit blackberries after the 2012 world convention, and they will just delay it to at least the 2013 world convention so that they can host a huge event and create press.

So, if you like the 9900, get it. Don't hold your breath.
    05-16-11 11:53 PM
    OK it seems like it makes sense that RIM would wait before sticking QNX on a phone next year even if the minimum required hardware were out because this time, they really ought to make sure the kinks are ironed out. I'm betting on a 2nd generation of the PlayBook line before we see a phone running that new OS. By the time all that happens, the 9900/9930 will be old hat anyway.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    05-16-11 11:59 PM
    OK it seems like it makes sense that RIM would wait before sticking QNX on a phone next year even if the minimum required hardware were out because this time, they really ought to make sure the kinks are ironed out. I'm betting on a 2nd generation of the PlayBook line before we see a phone running that new OS. By the time all that happens, the 9900/9930 will be old hat anyway.
    Glad we see eye to eye. Rim likes to grow their products slowly instead of warp speed. Actually, the 9900 was a big shock to me. They started at 624Mhz and skipped 800Mhz and 1ghz and went straight to 1.2ghz. This processor will be used for years to come. So they have to clear out all the "part bins" before Rim develops anything revolutionary again (Just like porsche ). And after they are done clearing out those part bins (in maybe 2 years), then I would suspect Rim to put in QNX and dual cores into blackberries. Laz has said that QNX comes with dual cores. So it will be a while before dual cores come out.

RIM's Mike Lazaridis: QNX coming to BlackBerry phones when dual-core processors are ready -- Engadget
    05-17-11 12:12 AM
    The reality is, the 9900 will have (in terms of just numbers alone, nevermind the specifics) sufficient hardware to run Windows 7 (I'm talking the full pc version, not phone version), QNX will be a breeze (not sure how many of you remember the old QNX 1.44mb demo).

The hardware is there... will it be supported? Hard to say, obviously I cannot predict any revolutionary hardware changes between now and whenever in the future, otherwise I'd be far richer than I am... but I'd be really surprised if phones from the 9900 on were not able to run QNX at some point.

Not sure what is meant by "QNX comes with dual cores" it's an OS that supports a single CPU as well as multiple.
    05-17-11 12:28 AM
    There is something that might result in these devices getting qnx, the 2012 model curves are not going to be dualcore processors and it would seem like keeping os7 going for them would be inefficient compared with a qnx lite for them and if those devices end up with similar specs to the 9900 etc. then maybe they would also get qnx too.

Realistically, neither qnx on 2012 curves nor os7 devices is going to be the priority, but we shouldn't rule it out from turning up at some point after the flagship devices show up.
    05-17-11 08:17 AM
    RIM aid QNX was exclusive to dual core.

Regrettably.
    05-17-11 08:17 AM
    RIM aid QNX was exclusive to dual core.
    I am sure that is their focus and will come first, but they are bound to release curves in 2012 and those need an os and os7.x would seem more hassle than a qnx lite.
    05-17-11 08:27 AM
    The answer is No. The reason is from my experience that it is reallly difficult to upgrade older models. Usually the new OS are designed with the new hardware in mind. This is a common Tech cycle.

05-17-11 08:57 AM
    I have to ask: Do you know what you are talking about? This is QNX we are talking about. The upgrade from 4.5 to 5 is not similar to the upgrade from 7 to QNX. We are going from a java based OS to a real time Unix-like based OS. There is a world of difference. This is a revolutionary step.

I wish there was an unlike button or the opposite of thanks, because you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Ignorance doesn't bother me. It's okay; just learn. But passing judgment all the while being ignorant yourself just really makes you look stupid.

how about you give the post another read? not sure how you missed it but i clearly said that it was about hardware limitations, and the point i was trying to get across is that upgrading to a new OS when in fact the hardware can't handle the new OS is a dumb thing to do.

maybe you'll understand with a second try.
    Last edited by sg8330; 05-17-11 at 09:06 AM.
    05-17-11 09:04 AM
    NO NO NO it won't get it at all...............It's just the way things are.
    05-17-11 09:32 AM
    What would motivate RIM to allow consumers to use a new OS without having to give them money for a new piece of hardware? How are they going to pay for the development of said OS? With your appreciation? With Playbook sales? Not happening.
    sg8330 likes this.
    05-17-11 10:05 AM
    What would motivate RIM to allow consumers to use a new OS without having to give them money for a new piece of hardware? How are they going to pay for the development of said OS? With your appreciation? With Playbook sales? Not happening.
    Hmmm many devices that were on OS5 can now support OS6.

05-18-11 12:07 AM
    Hmmm many devices that were on OS5 can now support OS6.

Many, but not all. None of the OS5 compatible devices with trackballs have OS6. OS7 is also a bit of a step up from OS6 in terms of graphical enhancements. While superficial as it is, it's also demanding of newer hardware and GPUs.
    05-18-11 12:55 AM
    Rim likes to grow their products slowly instead of warp speed. Actually, the 9900 was a big shock to me. They started at 624Mhz and skipped 800Mhz and 1ghz and went straight to 1.2ghz. This processor will be used for years to come. So they have to clear out all the "part bins" before Rim develops anything revolutionary again (Just like porsche ). And after they are done clearing out those part bins (in maybe 2 years), then I would suspect Rim to put in QNX and dual cores into blackberries. Laz has said that QNX comes with dual cores. So it will be a while before dual cores come out.
    I've plagiarized the Porsche "evolutionary vs revolutionary" phrasing too, including only a few minutes ago in another thread within this Forum!

Playing devil's advocate, RIM has stated they want to close the gap. Before the new devices even dropped in late 2010, RIM had already said to be on the lookout for major improvements with 2011 models.
    I hugely was relieved when I read the screen res and processor specs of the new BBs coming. (Just like I was hugely disappointed to read the confirmed screen res of the Torch the year before, in comparison.)

I think you're right that RIM will likely make use of this processor for more than one release year. However, we could always see this year's high-end processor become the processor for low-end BBs come 2012/2013.

There's no reason that a 9900 "refresh" in late 2012 couldn't include QNX integration. Look at the Torch "refresh" coming. Completely different screen (same physical size but almost 80% greater screen res) and a different processor.

And yes RIM moves slow, but they're trying to accelerate cautiously. (More car metaphors... *groan*)
    That's what their Project Highlander is all about. The catchphrase of the Highlander movies & TV series was "There can only be one." Highlander is RIM's project to merge the classic BBOS with the badass QNX OS. It has already been simultaneously developing while separate teams were developing OS6.1, now known as OS7.

RIM wants the same overall OS on both smartphones and tablets. As a brand, they want a homogenized experience for users, albeit a greatly improved one. Maybe even that revolution we've all been waiting for...
    Boogeym4n likes this.
    05-18-11 04:32 PM
    well that's the info i needed, if the new 9900 will most likely not be able to upgrade to QNX then i will wait till QNX devices come out. I'm giving another OS a shot when my upgrade is up in june, which will be perfect cuz when its up for an upgrade again hopefully RIM has QNX out.
    05-18-11 04:49 PM
    Well... here's my take on it

I previously owned the Bold 1 9900. It ran OS 4.5 and it was OS5 upgradeable.

I also previously owned a Bold 2 9700 aftewards, running OS5 and RIM gave it OS6.

So... a Bold 3 9900... with such cutting edge hardware.... I can't help myself but think their top-end flagship Bold would be upgradeable to BB8 QNX (assuming BB8 is QNX).

Afterall, they rename OS6.1 to OS7 was probably to push sales as well as give them time to write OS8. OS6 has been around for awhile so if this was 6.1 and QNX won't be fully cooked for another year... people would blame their platform is "behind" or "Research in Slow Motion".

Also, if existing phone can't upgrade to OS7, maybe they are doing lots of background migration already to QNX. Making BB OS7 phones able to upgrade to OS8.

But... since OS7 is probably a Windows Vista... I can only "hope" that it will have the ability to upgrade to OS8 once it comes out...
    Last edited by Maiev; 05-18-11 at 06:19 PM.
    05-18-11 06:16 PM
    Many, but not all. None of the OS5 compatible devices with trackballs have OS6. OS7 is also a bit of a step up from OS6 in terms of graphical enhancements. While superficial as it is, it's also demanding of newer hardware and GPUs.
    It's probably because the trackball devices had a hardware limitation..mainly RAM. That's why RIM replaced most of the trackball devices with a touchpad version and gave it more ram.

I think the only current trackball device left without a trackpad iteration is the bold 9000.
    05-18-11 10:33 PM
    I really want to buy the 9900....

BUT do i really want to spend that $600 now (currently stuck with a 3 yrs contract with my lovely 9780...) to get the 9900 at full price when the new QNX device will be available in approximately a year from now?

...especially when the 9900 MAY NOT be QNX compatible... ?
    05-18-11 11:24 PM
    What everyone is failing to mention here is that the architecture for the playbook processor and the 9900 are IDENTICAL.

Yes, the playbook is dual core, but that doesn't mean the QNX OS will compile differently for it than the 9900.

While RIM might not say it, looking at the specs, I would not be surprised if they do release the QNX version down the road. This phone is definitely more than well-equipped to run the operating system.

Knowing what I know about processor design, architecture, and having written quite a bit of code for different platforms (BOTH CISC and RISC), it is safe to say that if they want to do it, they will.

The RAM and speed won't be an issue since the resolution of the 9900 screen is smaller than that of the playbook. By scaling down the graphics in such a manner, the "taxing" that the GUI might incur isn't so large. Compound this with both devices having GPUs, granted they are different, it is not out of the question that the 9900 will be able to run it.

Personally speaking, I know I possess the know-how to take compiled binaries from the playbook and modify them for the 9900. However, I might not need to do this because it seems to me that the purchase of QNX was not solely for the playbook.

RIM knows that JVM-based OSes were a huge mistake. QNX was purchased as a message to Apple/Google that RIM was ready to go to a UNIX-like OS. Now that the Playbook is the first device out there with it, it isn't hard to imagine their flagship phone would be next.
    05-19-11 12:20 PM
    What everyone is failing to mention here is that the architecture for the playbook processor and the 9900 are IDENTICAL.

Yes, the playbook is dual core, but that doesn't mean the QNX OS will compile differently for it than the 9900.

While RIM might not say it, looking at the specs, I would not be surprised if they do release the QNX version down the road. This phone is definitely more than well-equipped to run the operating system.

Knowing what I know about processor design, architecture, and having written quite a bit of code for different platforms (BOTH CISC and RISC), it is safe to say that if they want to do it, they will.

The RAM and speed won't be an issue since the resolution of the 9900 screen is smaller than that of the playbook. By scaling down the graphics in such a manner, the "taxing" that the GUI might incur isn't so large. Compound this with both devices having GPUs, granted they are different, it is not out of the question that the 9900 will be able to run it.

Personally speaking, I know I possess the know-how to take compiled binaries from the playbook and modify them for the 9900. However, I might not need to do this because it seems to me that the purchase of QNX was not solely for the playbook.

RIM knows that JVM-based OSes were a huge mistake. QNX was purchased as a message to Apple/Google that RIM was ready to go to a UNIX-like OS. Now that the Playbook is the first device out there with it, it isn't hard to imagine their flagship phone would be next.
    Would you buy the 9900 then?
    05-19-11 12:33 PM
    I really want to buy the 9900....

BUT do i really want to spend that $600 now (currently stuck with a 3 yrs contract with my lovely 9780...) to get the 9900 at full price when the new QNX device will be available in approximately a year from now?

...especially when the 9900 MAY NOT be QNX compatible... ?
    I am in the same boat. I have 24 months left on my three year Telus contract. I can upgrade to 9900 by paying what Telus called "early upgrade fee", which is about ~$200.00 plus what ever the 9900 on 3 year term cost (which may be about $100 more, so total of ~$300 to ~$350)

But then, if QNX is coming up end of 2012, I think I should wait and hold on to my 9700 for now. What others on CrackBerry think?
    05-19-11 02:23 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD