So I don't use the little beeps and boops for notification sounds that come with all blackberrys. i play my own ringtones of songs, funny statements, or annoying compilations. My head almost exploded yesterday when i was involved in a massive BBM, email, sms loop.

for each of those occasions, i have set a different tone. and i discovered that if a person is A) writing and email, B) writing an sms or C) inside BBM anywhere, if the message is not acknowledged by hitting one of the 5 buttons call, menu, trackpad, back, end and you just continue typing the tone will play thru its entirety with no way of turning it off, EVER, it will just play right to the end.

and the kicker of this bug is, that the phone actually thought to "catch up" on all the tones once the first one played to the end. so even 10 minutes after all these messages were sent my phone just kept playing tones. hahaha!

the tones could be stopped by hitting one of those 5 buttons while in homescreen view, once a new message appeared. so i had to stop productivity to stare at my phone and wait for a new message to get some quiet, and then hope i got thru the next reply without receiving another notification.

strange and annoying.
    08-23-11 02:47 PM
    This actually has happened to me a few times, normally i would hit any key to turn the sound off but on these few occasions the sound wouldn't turn off...weird!

EDIT: I was running .317 i just exchanged my phone for other reasons and I'm gonna give .296 a try
    08-23-11 02:49 PM
    Thats why notifications have beeps and boops soo we dont blow our heads off in bbm groups.
    08-23-11 03:11 PM
    BBM is productivity? When did that start?
    I encourage the use of BBM at work. Its cheaper then sms. I've only got about 4 more people to convert! - then again.. We only have 49 handhelds lol
    08-23-11 05:31 PM
    BBM is far superior to texting. I don't know why you'd think otherwise. I end up talking to my friends with BBM more just because it takes 5 minutes to have a conversation that'd take 20 through texts. Sorry, OT.
    08-23-11 05:58 PM
    Dunno if this will help, OP, but on my 9700, I can kill a message tone by hitting the mute key. Or maybe just pick shorter notification tones.

See? Snarky, AND helpful. It can be done.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    overhere likes this.
    08-23-11 06:01 PM
    Dunno if this will help, OP, but on my 9700, I can kill a message tone by hitting the mute key. Or maybe just pick shorter notification tones.

See? Snarky, AND helpful. It can be done.

oh yaaa the mute key. thanks i'll try that next time. i actually hit every damn button but the mute key.

i find the built in beeps are generic and confusing so i pretty much have to have something unique (and socially acceptable) or i won't even acknowledge my phone. when you get a room full off 20 blackberries, i find humor and satisfaction that when a beep buzz beep buzz happens i'm the only one who doesnt look at their phone.

and to the other posters concerned with bbm productivity. you're obviously not using it right.
    08-23-11 11:04 PM
    [update]

mute key does not stop the tone. i even went as far as turning the damn thing off. HAHA music was still playing!! next time it happens im going to take a video and post it up here so everyone can have a good laugh.
    08-24-11 08:11 PM
    Create your own alert and ringtones. I've seldom used the native tones.

I removed BBM from my phone the day I got it. Everyone's needs are different. As I said, if it rocks for you, go for it. I would be hard pressed to find a single person who even uses BBM.
    There are all kinds of people that use bbm....you are on crackberry.Com You know, lol!

Heck they even have a bunch of threads for pin-sharing.

I recently switched to Android and I easily had more bbm contacts than I do with cross-platform chat clients. Not to mention that bbm is so more streamlined than all of them....IMO.

I really miss bbm!

08-24-11 08:21 PM
    oh yaaa the mute key. thanks i'll try that next time. i actually hit every damn button but the mute key.

i find the built in beeps are generic and confusing so i pretty much have to have something unique (and socially acceptable) or i won't even acknowledge my phone. when you get a room full off 20 blackberries, i find humor and satisfaction that when a beep buzz beep buzz happens i'm the only one who doesnt look at their phone.

and to the other posters concerned with bbm productivity. you're obviously not using it right.
    If you hit Volume-down it quiets the sound instantly, whether it's a ringtone or a message beep. You can also switch sound profiles so that when you're typing it's silent, then switch back and flick through all the messages when you're done.

Also, make the notification sounds less than whole-length songs!(I use the notification sound from Team Fortress 2 when you get a new item myself for BBM messages:P)
    08-24-11 09:07 PM
    If you hit Volume-down it quiets the sound instantly, whether it's a ringtone or a message beep. You can also switch sound profiles so that when you're typing it's silent, then switch back and flick through all the messages when you're done.

Also, make the notification sounds less than whole-length songs!(I use the notification sound from Team Fortress 2 when you get a new item myself for BBM messages:P)

ya i'm shortening the tones as i type. but no, switching profiles just to message is out of the question. that would be endless.

part of this bug is that the volume keys don't do anything. like i said, the phone will be off and the tone will stay play. that shouldnt be possible.
    08-24-11 09:12 PM
    I have noticed this two and its is a pretty annoying problem. On my prior BB, I could tap the mute key and all sound would instantly be muted. Now, it seems the ringtone must be played to the end before it can be muted. I have set up my ringtones to be about 10 secs so that I have a better chance of hearing them in a noisy environment with the confidence that if I was in a quiet environment I could silence the thing immediately. Forget these workarounds, this is a bug and needs to be fixed.
    08-24-11 10:25 PM

I currently have a selection of Monty Python quotes for most of my messages, and the old-school sonar ping for BBM. I just make sure my messaging tones are only a few seconds long each. Ringtones I may assign a whole song to, because it will only play 15 seconds of it, but my notifiers are all short.

I'll look into this more when I get a 9900.
    08-27-11 02:58 PM
    So I don't use the little beeps and boops for notification sounds that come with all blackberrys. i play my own ringtones of songs, funny statements, or annoying compilations. My head almost exploded yesterday when i was involved in a massive BBM, email, sms loop.

for each of those occasions, i have set a different tone. and i discovered that if a person is A) writing and email, B) writing an sms or C) inside BBM anywhere, if the message is not acknowledged by hitting one of the 5 buttons call, menu, trackpad, back, end and you just continue typing the tone will play thru its entirety with no way of turning it off, EVER, it will just play right to the end.

and the kicker of this bug is, that the phone actually thought to "catch up" on all the tones once the first one played to the end. so even 10 minutes after all these messages were sent my phone just kept playing tones. hahaha!

the tones could be stopped by hitting one of those 5 buttons while in homescreen view, once a new message appeared. so i had to stop productivity to stare at my phone and wait for a new message to get some quiet, and then hope i got thru the next reply without receiving another notification.

strange and annoying.
    As I posted earlier, I have been experiencing this problem as well. I have done some additional investigation and have a question. By any chance are you using BerryBuzz/BeBuzz?

Upon further investigation, it appears that this is not a problem with the 9810 but with BerryBuzz/BeBuzz. Once I disable BerryBuzz, the phone can be silenced instantly which is unfortunate as I really like the utility of BerryBuzz. I have disable it for the time being, until the bug is fixed.
    09-02-11 06:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD