Tonight I had my 9900 with me and the battery was charged to about 50% when I left home. WiFi/Bluetooth disabled, just on H+. Wasn't surfing, turned off (Menu > Close) all apps that constantly ping the web for updates (Twitter, Weather, etc.), yet as I sat there with friends, I could see the battery drain from 50%-45%-40%-35%-30%-25%-20% at which point the battery icon turned orange and I decided to turn the phone off. I wasn't even surfing or anything, didn't even check emails, but the battery was literally draining before my eyes.

I could understand if I had Twitter, Facebook, WeatherBerry, stock apps, etc. running and updating constantly that it might decrease slightly (like with my 9780 for example), but this was quite something.

I've had the phone since it was released last year and am wondering if I should get a new battery or is it the actual phone? I've done the usual "conditioning" of the battery when it was brand new but in this case it doesn't seem to have helped.
    03-04-12 09:46 PM
    I had the same issue with several 9900's on Rogers. I kept replacing my device but it turns out it was the 9900 attempting to "search" for a crappy Rogers signal in my area...............coverage is not great. I switched to Bell and got a new 9900 from Bell, and the problem has gone. I get a full day of charge easily now, and I don't have to turn everything off in the background.
    03-05-12 10:36 AM
    I had the same issue with several 9900's on Rogers. I kept replacing my device but it turns out it was the 9900 attempting to "search" for a crappy Rogers signal in my area...............coverage is not great. I switched to Bell and got a new 9900 from Bell, and the problem has gone. I get a full day of charge easily now, and I don't have to turn everything off in the background.
    Interesting. The place where I was at when this was happening has a WiFi hotspot, and I tried several times to get an IP address, but each time I tried I got an error that it could not obtain an IP address from the network. After trying about 8 times I gave up. So you're saying perhaps it was those attempts that wore down my battery? Tsk tsk.
    03-05-12 10:38 AM
    Exactly. After months of having "battery drain issues" like many others have reported, and doing all kinds of anecdotal tests, this was my conclusion based on my experiences. I am having zero battery issues now that I'm on another network that has better coverage in my area.
    The only unknown for me, is if RIM changed something in the build (antennae?) since Jan 1 ,2012. My previous 9900's with the issue were made between Aug 2011 and end of Nov 2011 and they all behaved identically. My latest 9900 with Bell was still Mexico made (same as all my others) but it was made in Feb 2012.
    So for sure the coverage, or lack of any, contributed to my battery drain issues.
    03-05-12 11:08 AM
    On windmobile and I have no such battery drain issues unless reception is poor or I'm in a dark zone. I have two batteries, swapping is the norm. So I'm not worried.
    03-05-12 02:36 PM
    I bought my 9900 (version 7.0 bundle 1315 - v7.0.0.250, platform 5.0.0.448) from T-Mobile in Florida last September, 2011. I carry two batteries with me at all times. Without a charge, I cannot make it 8 hours without switching to my back up battery. I have tried everything, wifi off, all applications off, bluetooth off... I have the "battery saver" program installed. I've even bought two new batteries in the last 7 months. Little tweaks may give me an extra 30 mnutes or so, but nothing really helps with the overall problem. I am so over this. Yesterday my phone died after 8 hours. I switched to my back up and said that is it, NO MORE. Unless someone has a solution, that will work, I am done with this phone! I HATE IT!!! I remember the days when my pearl (7100t) would go 5-6 days without a charge, easily. Is it asking too much to go 1-2 days on one battery? I think not.

All my iphone friends laugh at me. I'm getting tired of defending my blackberry. I need a solution, any ideas please?
    03-14-12 03:03 PM
    ^I think it's sad when it comes to the point where you need to carry an extra battery with you at all times. John, my iphone friends laugh at me too, it's sad because I'm thinking of joining the iphone wagon as well....
    johndfffff likes this.
    03-14-12 03:08 PM
    I bought my 9900 (version 7.0 bundle 1315 - v7.0.0.250, platform 5.0.0.448) from T-Mobile in Florida last September, 2011. I carry two batteries with me at all times. Without a charge, I cannot make it 8 hours without switching to my back up battery. I have tried everything, wifi off, all applications off, bluetooth off... I have the "battery saver" program installed. I've even bought two new batteries in the last 7 months. Little tweaks may give me an extra 30 mnutes or so, but nothing really helps with the overall problem. I am so over this. Yesterday my phone died after 8 hours. I switched to my back up and said that is it, NO MORE. Unless someone has a solution, that will work, I am done with this phone! I HATE IT!!! I remember the days when my pearl (7100t) would go 5-6 days without a charge, easily. Is it asking too much to go 1-2 days on one battery? I think not.

All my iphone friends laugh at me. I'm getting tired of defending my blackberry. I need a solution, any ideas please?
    Try switching it to 2G, reboot then switch to 3G after a week. Someone mentioned it in a thread.
    03-14-12 03:08 PM
    Try switching it to 2G, reboot then switch to 3G after a week. Someone mentioned it in a thread.
    Well that may be well and good but it seems to me that one shouldn't have to disable all the features of the phone to make it work as it should. It always amazes me when people say disable WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth, 3G, weather updates, Facebook, etc. etc. Isn't this why we buy smartphones, after all?

I think it's a sign of the demands of the new technology (super high resolution screens, etc.) that are draining the batteries, but you're right, iPhones fare much better in this regard, at least in my experience. That wasn't always the case.

I also have to say that I have a Bold 9780 that will last easily on 4 days with normal usage, and still have 15-20% left, even if pairing it via Bridge to my PlayBook (which, by the way, is just a great device!).
    03-14-12 03:27 PM
    I'll try anything, thanks! And if it doesn't work, I might (gulp) jump on the iphone train - ugh.
    03-14-12 03:33 PM
    I'll try anything, thanks! And if it doesn't work, I might (gulp) jump on the iphone train - ugh.
    same here man, it's sad and hard to say, i feel ya
    johndfffff likes this.
    03-14-12 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD