Hi gang .....In advance of getting my AT&T BB 9900 this weekend, I ordered and received 3 items through Crackberry.com shopping. I bought the 9900 leather holster, the OEM white hardshell case w/ the BB 9000 leather holster (so that it will fit in a holster). I currently have a iphone 4s (which is a great device), but I can't seem to break myself away from Blackberry. I will be paying the no-commitment price of $549 because I already am under contract for the 4s. My question: Taking into consideration all the problems that I read about, especially the bricking issues and battery life problems with the 99xx series, am I crazy to pay that much for this Blackberry? 2 + years ago, I also paid full retail for the 9700 that has been a great device and I haven't regretted it. Believe me, I am not wealthy, I save my pennies for stuff like this, so to waste my hard earned money would really me off. Would anyone (besides me) pay this much for the BB 9900 ?
    01-12-12 07:36 AM
    well its 599 no term in canada so consider yourself lucky at that price for a new device
    01-12-12 07:41 AM
    Hi gang .....In advance of getting my AT&T BB 9900 this weekend, I ordered and received 3 items through Crackberry.com shopping. I bought the 9900 leather holster, the OEM white hardshell case w/ the BB 9000 leather holster (so that it will fit in a holster). I currently have a iphone 4s (which is a great device), but I can't seem to break myself away from Blackberry. I will be paying the no-commitment price of $549 because I already am under contract for the 4s. My question: Taking into consideration all the problems that I read about, especially the bricking issues and battery life problems with the 99xx series, am I crazy to pay that much for this Blackberry? 2 + years ago, I also paid full retail for the 9700 that has been a great device and I haven't regretted it. Believe me, I am not wealthy, I save my pennies for stuff like this, so to waste my hard earned money would really me off. Would anyone (besides me) pay this much for the BB 9900 ?
    I think the problems with the 99xx series devices (obviously more with the 9900 versus the 9930 as more GSM devices in circulation) is a "hit or miss" chance you'll take. I personally have had two 9930's and neither has presented any issues or concerns. Both have been updated with leaked and official OS's. I use a handful of apps like BeWeather, BeBuzz, ScoreMobile, Poynt, etc and all work okay with the exception of BeWeather (current location issue). With you paying full price, (and I assume through AT&T) you will have a full warranty. Some people that had issues purchased through eBay or some other place where they weren't eligible for a warranty, so they weren't able to have them repaired. What causes the issues? No one can say with a certainty of what causes it, but there are more people without problems than people with them.

I'd say go for it - you'll have the warranty and the 30 day grace period. Nothing like a new device!!
    tomgnc likes this.
    01-12-12 07:45 AM
    No more than the rest of us!
    01-12-12 07:47 AM
    I also paid the full price in my country there is no carrier's contract(Thailand)
    01-12-12 07:51 AM
    @ibcop, you're right, I'll have the warranty and 30 days through AT&T. I really follow these forums and reading all the threads about the 99xx problems, its kind of scary (or stupid) to take a chance with this device. I love the feeling of having a new device though !!
    01-12-12 07:59 AM
    I've never owned any "i" device so I might not have a full grasp here but I'll ask the OP.

The SIM card on the 4S is a different size than on the 9900. So unless you are going to be activating a second line how are you going to be swapping back and forth unless you are calling your carrier everytime you want to switch back and forth.

If you are opening a second line you might as well just sign up for 3 years (oops, that's Canada, US is 2 year) and get it cheaper.
    01-12-12 08:03 AM
    1. Wait for 2 more months so that, new coming lot of 99XX will have all the issues solved. And by that time OS will more stable and few more features. And prices will drop too.
    2. If you have decided to get one�

a) The moment you get your device put some working Sim card and put it for a charge for over night, and charge it for 19+ hours to see if it bricks.
    b) Once it passes that test, use BBSAK and nuke your device and try to load updated OS.
    c) Once this test is passed, download lot of apps, fill up device memory and keep few MB free, keep it charging for overnight. Handle device softly but use it rigorously.

And if all these tests are passed, then you can sure that it will not have any Bricking/Nuke issues.
    I did the same, and mine is in perfect condition.
    ViralTrojan likes this.
    01-12-12 08:43 AM
    @The Adventist, yes , you are right. The 4s and the BB 9900 have 2 different SIM cards. In order for me to switch back and forth, you have to contact customer service and have the phones switched and the data plans switched. If you want the same phone number, this is the only way to do it. I've done it before many times with my old iphone 3gs and BB 9700. Its inconvenient but necessary.
    01-12-12 08:43 AM
    1. Wait for 2 more months so that, new coming lot of 99XX will have all the issues solved. And by that time OS will more stable and few more features. And prices will drop too.
    2. If you have decided to get one�

a) The moment you get your device put some working Sim card and put it for a charge for over night, and charge it for 19+ hours to see if it bricks.
    b) Once it passes that test, use BBSAK and nuke your device and try to load updated OS.
    c) Once this test is passed, download lot of apps, fill up device memory and keep few MB free, keep it charging for overnight. Handle device softly but use it rigorously.

And if all these tests are passed, then you can sure that it will not have any Bricking/Nuke issues.
    I did the same, and mine is in perfect condition.

Wow ! All that to test a brand new device ? lol What's wrong with that picture ? Thanks for the advice, I'll make my decision shortly ....
    01-12-12 08:47 AM
    Honestly, go for it.

Always remember that the people with problems will always be more vocal than those without.

I got two 9900s for my dad and myself, and his is pitch perfect (even great battery life) and mine is perfect as well except for one small quirk, which is that the trackpad can move up and down by 1mm once in a while so while I'm scrolling up or down heavily it kind of moves... I showed this to various people and only 1 person understood what I was talking about, and that was only after I explained it for 15 minutes.

You don't have to wait for improved phones months from now. The first batch released last summer had some issues. I'll tell you that in all likelyhood, those issues are resolved by now.

By the way, I got my mom a Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and it's already having issues, and I've looked online and people are complaining that the phone bricks itself even on a full charge of battery. You're gonna have some quirks no matter where you go.
    01-12-12 09:53 AM
    Its interesting to hear of a phone bricking itself from charging. As aforementioned, you will have a warranty, and grace period and hopefully insurance. Im sure you'll be ok. I also plan on buying the 9930 in a month or so and will be paying full price as well, goodluck to you!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-12-12 10:04 AM
    I agree that it's just hit and miss when it comes to faulty devices. I'm on my second 9900, I had my first one in October and it bricked in November. My carrier sent me a replacement and so far I've had no issues at all with it (but then again, I had no issues with my first 9900 before it decided to brick).

It's just one of those things that could be waiting to happen to any device, but in my opinion a lot of the more faulty devices were the earlier releases, a lot of bugs have been fixed with OS upgrades now - but yes occaisionally it does still happen.

If you' don't want to take the chance you should look into mobile phone insurance online - you can get it pretty cheap these days that will cover you against almost everything. Also, remeber you get a 12 month BlackBerry warrenty against faults.

Hope I've helped
    01-12-12 10:18 AM
    Thanks for all the advice folks, I really appreciate it !! I am definitely going to take the chance and pull the trigger for a AT&T Bold 9900 this weekend. Hopefully, I'll receive a device that's problem free !! Does anyone know what software version the AT&T Bold's are shipping with ? I see that the "official" version is 7.0.0.576. Should I update it straight out of the box ?
    constapp likes this.
    01-12-12 04:27 PM
    Most likely the software won't be up to date unless it's been the official version for a while. When I got my phone from Bell it immediately notified me of a OTA software update as soon as I turned it on for the first time (after the setup wizard).

Before customizing much anything or installing apps, I connected to DM and did the upgrade.
    01-12-12 05:10 PM
    Thanks ...I was just wondering if the stock OS version was a good stable OS or is the new official version an improvement ..Any AT&T owners ?
    01-12-12 05:18 PM
    the OEM white hardshell case w/ the BB 9000 leather holster (so that it will fit in a holster)
    Does this work? I mean if I got the OEM hard shellfor my 9900 could I get the 9000 holster and the phone would fit in with the shell on? I take it the auto-sleep wouldn't work though? because of different magnet placement?
    01-13-12 09:37 AM
    I used to have a 9000 case and the 9900 does not respond to the old magnet placement. Sad.
    01-13-12 10:11 AM
    Yeah I guessed as much. But with the 9000 being slightly thicker than the 9900 I suppose it would still fit with the hardshell attached?
    01-13-12 10:57 AM
    When the phone works, it's great. But I would be pissed if I had paid full price for the one I have with all the issues. Have you considered the smaller new Bold or the Curve that just came out? The new Curve has all the same technology(nfc) from my understanding it just isn't touch screen and is smaller. I almost got it myself because I am a curve loyalist. lol
    01-13-12 11:26 AM
    Yeah I guessed as much. But with the 9000 being slightly thicker than the 9900 I suppose it would still fit with the hardshell attached?
    Probably would but no way of telling for sure without trying. Depends on how much extra bulk the shell is adding. Some of them are really thin, others not.
    01-13-12 01:38 PM
    @The Adventist, yes , you are right. The 4s and the BB 9900 have 2 different SIM cards. In order for me to switch back and forth, you have to contact customer service and have the phones switched and the data plans switched. If you want the same phone number, this is the only way to do it. I've done it before many times with my old iphone 3gs and BB 9700. Its inconvenient but necessary.
    Easy Peasey!
    I have an iPhone 4s, all. D it to put the micro sim into a sm adaptor which I got for free from my local 02 shop then popmitinto the BB, you mobile phone operator then moves you from idata to blackberry bolt on and 12 hrs later you are good to go.
    I even have the iPhone still running at home with wifi turned off so when my meals stop coming in I get an alert saying no data service available and the I know that my Blackberry data is active........you ca switch as many times as you rom want with 02 no problems at all
    01-13-12 05:28 PM
    @ibcop, you're right, I'll have the warranty and 30 days through AT&T. I really follow these forums and reading all the threads about the 99xx problems, its kind of scary (or stupid) to take a chance with this device. I love the feeling of having a new device though !!
    I just returned my 9900 and I'm staying with my I4s. I tried the 9900 3 different times and am finally done! reasons for me are the I4s has the best screen,web browsing is nice,I'm not a big app guy But I do believe the apps are more advanced. The IOS is very smooth. I've had memory drain on all 3 of my 9900's. Trust me I think the 9900 is a very nice phone but IMO not worth 549 + tax. Good luck with your decision.
    01-13-12 06:05 PM
    Thanks for all the advice folks, I really appreciate it !! I am definitely going to take the chance and pull the trigger for a AT&T Bold 9900 this weekend. Hopefully, I'll receive a device that's problem free !! Does anyone know what software version the AT&T Bold's are shipping with ? I see that the "official" version is 7.0.0.576. Should I update it straight out of the box ?
    The phone will come shipped with .440 which in my opinion is a very stable os. I upgraded to .576 and had a random reboot on day 1 with the OS. .440 gave me the best battery life also.
    01-13-12 06:11 PM
    Does this work? I mean if I got the OEM hard shellfor my 9900 could I get the 9000 holster and the phone would fit in with the shell on? I take it the auto-sleep wouldn't work though? because of different magnet placement?
    The 9900 with the hardshell (OEM) definitely fits in the 9000 Leather Holster. To be honest, I haven't tried the auto-sleep feature because I haven't got the phone yet. I tried a dummy phone in the holster and it fit. It's not a perfect fit but it's a good solution.
    01-13-12 06:34 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD