When the phone works, it's great. But I would be pissed if I had paid full price for the one I have with all the issues. Have you considered the smaller new Bold or the Curve that just came out? The new Curve has all the same technology(nfc) from my understanding it just isn't touch screen and is smaller. I almost got it myself because I am a curve loyalist. lol
    No, I haven't considered any other Blackberry. I had the 9700 and although it was a great device, it was a little bit too small for my tastes.
    01-13-12 06:37 PM
    I just returned my 9900 and I'm staying with my I4s. I tried the 9900 3 different times and am finally done! reasons for me are the I4s has the best screen,web browsing is nice,I'm not a big app guy But I do believe the apps are more advanced. The IOS is very smooth. I've had memory drain on all 3 of my 9900's. Trust me I think the 9900 is a very nice phone but IMO not worth 549 + tax. Good luck with your decision.
    Thanks for the opinion Slammer. IMO, NO phone is worth $549 + tax lol. If I'm intent on paying that much though, I want a device that will be a quality piece of hardware, not something that I'll have to reload the OS constantly, worry when I charge it overnight, do constant battery pulls etc ..Tomorrow is decision day !!
    01-13-12 06:44 PM
    The phone will come shipped with .440 which in my opinion is a very stable os. I upgraded to .576 and had a random reboot on day 1 with the OS. .440 gave me the best battery life also.
    Good to know. If I get the phone tomorrow, I'll give .440 a try for a while. Heck, why upgrade if this OS is good ? As long as .576 isn't substantially better, I'll stick with .440
    01-13-12 06:46 PM
    I really do think you are taking 3 steps back. This is coming from someone who had a bb for the past 5 yrs. My wife has a 9900 and she still gets memory drain,and the battery doesnt even get her through the day. As for my I4s I can get 16 hrs easily. good luck!
    Thanks Slammer. I have a iphone 4s now and the battery life is killer. I turn it on at 6am every morning and when I turn it off at 10 pm, it still has at least 40% left. I am not a power user so I'm sure I'll survive with the 9900 battery life. The memory drain is problematic though. I know the 9900 is taking a couple steps back (some people my disagree strongly), but Blackberry keeps sparking my interest. For the life of me, I just can't figure it out ! lol
    01-13-12 06:58 PM
    Thanks Slammer. I have a iphone 4s now and the battery life is killer. I turn it on at 6am every morning and when I turn it off at 10 pm, it still has at least 40% left. I am not a power user so I'm sure I'll survive with the 9900 battery life. The memory drain is problematic though. I know the 9900 is taking a couple steps back (some people my disagree strongly), but Blackberry keeps sparking my interest. For the life of me, I just can't figure it out ! lol
    Try it out you have 30 days and I've taken full advantage of that. I've wasted 35 bucks 3 times in restock fees though lol!
    01-13-12 07:09 PM
    I agree with ibcop comment on hit or miss because I don't think there is a pattern to bricking and nuke issues. We tried to find what's going on with the country of origin, the service provider and the PRD number, but no one was able to figure out what's going on. It is time that RIM come clean or most people will be afraid to buy a Blackberry at the first place.

I agree with the OP on the hard earned money. I love smartphones but I am a student and I don't want to GIVE away my money to RIM and carriers just to end up with a paper weight. RIM should have a press release on bricking issues.

To Crackberry Kevin,
    You should do an interview on bricking of 99xx at CES because some people here, including me, starting to think that RIM is working hard to hide something and news sites like Crackberry is helping them. If I was at CES I would walk straight to the RIM Blackberry booth and ask "What do you know about the bricking issues with Bold 99xx?"
    01-13-12 07:45 PM
    I agree with ibcop comment on hit or miss because I don't think there is a pattern to bricking and nuke issues. We tried to find what's going on with the country of origin, the service provider and the PRD number, but no one was able to figure out what's going on. It is time that RIM come clean or most people will be afraid to buy a Blackberry at the first place.

I agree with the OP on the hard earned money. I love smartphones but I am a student and I don't want to GIVE away my money to RIM and carriers just to end up with a paper weight. RIM should have a press release on bricking issues.

To Crackberry Kevin,
    You should do an interview on bricking of 99xx at CES because some people here, including me, starting to think that RIM is working hard to hide something and news sites like Crackberry is helping them. If I was at CES I would walk straight to the RIM Blackberry booth and ask "What do you know about the bricking issues with Bold 99xx?"
    I'm sure that RIM is aware of the bricking issues. How can everyone else in the "Blackberry World" know about the problem except the manufacturer ? My guess is that until the carriers report a "significant" percentage of bricking complaints and report it to RIM, nothing will be done. My question is "What number is "significant" ???
    01-14-12 06:31 AM
    I reckon go for it. I bit the bullet a few days ago and got the 9900. Had a 9780 previously. Loving the form factor. My unit has a couple of imperfections but nothing discouraging, for me, anyway. Battery life isnt the best but it is omly a few days old. If it doesn't improve by next week then I'll give the leaked 7.1 a try. Failing that, I'll speak to my carrier and see what can be done.
    01-14-12 06:54 AM
    I reckon go for it. I bit the bullet a few days ago and got the 9900. Had a 9780 previously. Loving the form factor. My unit has a couple of imperfections but nothing discouraging, for me, anyway. Battery life isnt the best but it is omly a few days old. If it doesn't improve by next week then I'll give the leaked 7.1 a try. Failing that, I'll speak to my carrier and see what can be done.
    What's sad about most of responses is that there's almost no one that is 100% satisfied with the 99xx. I will most likely go for it today, but I am nervous about the decision.
    01-14-12 07:48 AM
    Well, the imperfection on my unit are slightly non-flush panels X 2 and a slightly off angle trackpad. As I said, not dealbreakers for me so long as the 9900 continues to function normally and reliably.
    01-14-12 07:53 AM
    What's sad about most of responses is that there's almost no one that is 100% satisfied with the 99xx. I will most likely go for it today, but I am nervous about the decision.
    I think most of that comes from the fact that BB owners are typically very picky about these kinds of quirks. Most other users wouldn't notice or care. At the end of the day, the phone still works. Most of the complaints are things that are so minor but they feel like putting it out there anyway.
    01-14-12 01:46 PM
    Well, I'll be going to my local AT&T store tomorrow to pick up my new 9900. I can't wait to get home and start playing with the new gadget ...Wish me luck everyone ! I'll post my feelings about the device tomorrow afternoon ...
    01-14-12 04:14 PM
    I bought my 9900 without a contract. The way I justify it is in 12months the phone is typically worth 1/2 money so that is only about $30/month to have a brand new device.
    01-14-12 07:04 PM
    UPDATE !!!! Just got the AT&T 9900 ...I'm starting to set it up now....Real excited ! First impressions will be posted tomorrow !! Good night !
    01-15-12 07:19 PM
    Congrats keep me posted. Very curious as to what a I4s user thinks of it.
    01-15-12 07:32 PM
    My 9900 is definitely worth it. My carrier is Tmobile and it usually sells for $300 for 2 years. I wasn't planning on getting 9900 for the price of mini laptop but couple days ago, phone went on sale from $300 to $50. I can't say no to that.

The phone has been great except for battery (compare to my beloved 9700) and camera would solely not work (black screen only fixes on battery pull).

I still have 20 days with $50 stupid restocking fee to decide. Hopefully 7.1 gets release before my 30 days.
    01-15-12 08:02 PM
    Mini review coming ..... I can say that after only 1hr 15 min off charger, my battery is already down to 85% ! WOW ! Not doing anything much on it. Still running stock OS .440
    01-16-12 06:50 AM
    Congrats keep me posted. Very curious as to what a I4s user thinks of it.
    I'm still transferring music and pictures over to the 9900 from my mac. I haven't has any issues with syncing the phone using DM for mac. It is transferring my itunes playlists and iphoto albums with no problems (yet) .......One weird thing, noticed on my phone that the "Text Message" icon disappeared overnight. I was not getting texts from anyone. I did a soft reset of the software (alt, shift, del) and it magically reappeared. What the heck ? What software in this day and age needs constant rebooting or battery pulls ? I hope this is just a isolated incident ...More later ....
    01-16-12 11:29 AM
    I'm still transferring music and pictures over to the 9900 from my mac. I haven't has any issues with syncing the phone using DM for mac. It is transferring my itunes playlists and iphoto albums with no problems (yet) .......One weird thing, noticed on my phone that the "Text Message" icon disappeared overnight. I was not getting texts from anyone. I did a soft reset of the software (alt, shift, del) and it magically reappeared. What the heck ? What software in this day and age needs constant rebooting or battery pulls ? I hope this is just a isolated incident ...More later ....
    See I had issues with .576 doing random reboots. And also noticed it went from 100% to 92% within 20 minutes off the charger. My wifes 9900 had major memory drain. With my 4s i havent had to deal with any of that.
    01-16-12 02:04 PM
    I bought my 9900 at 549 + tax and i bought a commuter series and white oem hardshell.
    Its perfectly normal for us crackberries...
    01-16-12 04:02 PM
    See I had issues with .576 doing random reboots. And also noticed it went from 100% to 92% within 20 minutes off the charger. My wifes 9900 had major memory drain. With my 4s i havent had to deal with any of that.
    Ok, the phone has been in use for 11 hours today. I'm not a power user so the usage has been moderate at best. The battery is at 55% left. Funny, the battery dropped to 85% after the first hour this morning but has only dropped 30% in the last 10 hrs. I will make it through the day, no problem. I'll see what happens tomorrow with slightly heavier use. I may update the OS tomorrow. So far, I'm cautiously satisfied. I still have my 4s to fall back on if needed.
    01-16-12 04:50 PM
    i LOVE my 9900.I am a BB lover though!!!
    01-16-12 04:56 PM
    i LOVE my 9900.I am a BB lover though!!!
    I have always been a Blackberry lover. I had a BB 9700 for the longest time. I just returned to Blackberry and got a 9900 from AT&T yesterday. I have a iphone 4s as a back-up if needed. I want to love the 9900, just don't want any issues like the ones I've been reading about.
    01-16-12 05:38 PM
    You like it? - Buy it...My 9930 has given me no problems...battery life is fine and no memory drain...
    01-16-12 06:05 PM
    I have always been a Blackberry lover. I had a BB 9700 for the longest time. I just returned to Blackberry and got a 9900 from AT&T yesterday. I have a iphone 4s as a back-up if needed. I want to love the 9900, just don't want any issues like the ones I've been reading about.
    I have always liked BB and the 9900 is a very nice device just not sure if any phone is worth 550 + tax. But glad you are liking it.
    01-16-12 09:08 PM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD