Week 6 since of having a 9930 with Verizon and Device #4
    (I'm on my 3rd replacement device)

I started keeping track of what was happening when my device would error with 102, 507, or brick.

The oddest thing I notice was the device would delete/misplace a system file. I don't know which one. With no changes to apps or the OS I could hook up to desktop manager daily and an upgrade would need to be done to the core os files. I believe this is part of the phone bricking.

I also notice resetting the device with Alt Ctl Del was gambling with the life of the device.

My now 4th device in 6 weeks has lasted the longest because I do not reboot the device with Alt Ctl Del. Since I have not done this I also have notice desktop manager doesn't want to upgrade the Core files any time I plug in.

Proving Battery Pulls are the safest way, the moment, to reboot the device and I hear it cures world hunger.

Anyone else noticed this?
    The resets and device bricking not the world hunger part.

JStiner

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-04-11 05:02 PM
    I reboot every day at least once using the "ctl-alt-delete" method. I have upgraded to every single OS from .296 to 7.1. I do not see the same odd behavior as you do. Not to say that it can't happen, but this is now several months after release of the 9900 and I'm still on the same device since the day it was released, with several hundred reboots, battery changes and power cycles. My fianc�e's 9900 bricked within 8 weeks of it's birth - but her habits are bad when it comes to any type of electronic devices. She thinks batteries are not something that need to be charged. Completely dead batteries are a way of life for her.
    12-04-11 06:28 PM
    Ok yeah, that was the other thing.
    Letting the battery run low made the device hard to boot.

It would get stuck on the BB load screen at about 75% and get stuck. Longest I waited at that screen was 2 hours and just did another battery pull, well actually 3 or 4 more then it booted up find.

12-04-11 06:45 PM
    I too always use alt ctl del. Every day even, well not any more since I got meter berry.

I have my 9930 with verizon since sept 10th. Still the original one and not a single problem.

Sent from my (374/440/474/540/7.1.0.58/7.1.0.74) King Resurrection Hybrid 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-04-11 06:57 PM
    Ok yeah, that was the other thing.
    Letting the battery run low made the device hard to boot.

It would get stuck on the BB load screen at about 75% and get stuck. Longest I waited at that screen was 2 hours and just did another battery pull, well actually 3 or 4 more then it booted up find.

You really need to do a FULL device wipe (Javaloader) and upgrade your OS, then do a selective restore. You won't have slow boot times and I suspect, no more nuisance DM upgrade message issues. Your device should operate perfectly once you're all done. Don't restore anything you don't need, like old messages you can view using other message clients instead.
    12-04-11 09:12 PM
    That was the same way my first device bricked/nuked itself.

I now NEVER reboot the phone unless I actually take the battery out, or press 'reboot now' after an app update.
    12-04-11 09:32 PM
    I think that a battery pull is more dangerous since you never tell the filesystem to unmount, leaving files open and possible corruption. If atl-cap-del does not unmount I'd stop using it too, but I like the feeling of telling the OS to shut off instead of pulling the power.
    12-05-11 02:56 AM
    That was the same way my first device bricked/nuked itself.

I now NEVER reboot the phone unless I actually take the battery out, or press 'reboot now' after an app update.
    It's never been a problem on mine, and considering the pain in the @ss it is prying that battery cover off, I may never do a battery pull again.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-05-11 at 09:03 AM.
    12-05-11 07:20 AM
    On my 2nd device now running .503 woke up one fine morning to see it stuck in a rebooting loop. Thought I would have to get it exchanged but luckily just a batt pull did the trick. I even tried alt+cap+del first but didn't work.

By the way my first one got bricked bought it 2 days before it was "officialy" released here in Canada. Good thing I bought warranty from Futureshop, pay $12 a month for 2 yrs and they give u a brand new device if something goes wrong. Better than getting a "refurb" from your carrier
    12-05-11 08:56 AM
    I think that a battery pull is more dangerous since you never tell the filesystem to unmount, leaving files open and possible corruption. If atl-cap-del does not unmount I'd stop using it too, but I like the feeling of telling the OS to shut off instead of pulling the power.
    BlackBerry's like battery pull, does the 'Berry good. And in most cases, it's better. In fact, it's the only way to shut off your device.

It's never been a problem on mine, and considering the pain in the @ss it is prying that battery cover off, I may never do a battery pull again.
    Copy that. Also used at work if I need a reboot because I don't want to take off the OtterBox.
    12-05-11 09:37 AM
    On my 2nd device now running .503 woke up one fine morning to see it stuck in a rebooting loop. Thought I would have to get it exchanged but luckily just a batt pull did the trick. I even tried alt+cap+del first but didn't work.
    I didn't think the 3-finger salute worked during the boot cycle. I guess it does. Learn something new everyday around here.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-05-11 at 10:10 AM.
    12-05-11 09:39 AM
    Speaking on battery pulls and sorry about the novice question I'm about to ask but are you supposed to be shutting down (full shut down) before you pull the battery or is it suggested that I pull the battery while the device is still on.

Cheers,
    Bold 9900 (Bell)
    12-05-11 09:40 AM
    Speaking on battery pulls and sorry about the novice question I'm about to ask but are you supposed to be shutting down (full shut down) before you pull the battery or is it suggested that I pull the battery while the device is still on.

Cheers,
    Bold 9900 (Bell)
    Just yank it. Most of the time the battery is being pulled is due to a locked up and otherwise unresponsive device so "shutting down" is impossible. If you can pull off a alt-shft-del reboot and that clears the issue, a physical battery pull isn't required.
    BBLifeSentence likes this.
    12-05-11 10:06 AM
    It hadn't been a problem on mine either. I had been doing that kind of reboot before, and I had the device since release day. But it just took that one time for it to completely nuke the phone.

Now, it could have been just coincidence, and maybe if I had battery pulled the same thing would have happened.. but I just don't want to take a chance.
    12-05-11 03:24 PM
    i think obviously the problem is you seeing that this is your 4th device. Ive never had this issue at all, im on OS 7.1
    12-05-11 07:34 PM
    i think obviously the problem is you seeing that this is your 4th device. Ive never had this issue at all, im on OS 7.1

How are you on 7.1? Seeing as the latest update official or not is 7.0.503?

This isn't my first blackberry, I've been ridding this train for at least 5 years with 6 different models. Obviously you have no clue what your talking about.

And given that its a know issue the 9930 just dies with no warning ; I am simply discussing ideas of the cause. The fastest way to a solution is to kick an idea around. Not all blackberrys are created equally; some are made in Mexico.

12-06-11 06:52 AM
    My bad make that .374

As I have the 9930 and the title Is tagged as discussing the 9930 which is highly possible will behave differently since its a different os at the core due to the radios.

12-06-11 06:55 AM
    How are you on 7.1? Seeing as the latest update official or not is 7.0.503?
    ignites
    CrackBerry Addict
    Device(s): 8120, 8310, 9630, 9900, PlayBook 16 Gb
    Pin: k is a colour..

They didn't say they were on an official
    12-06-11 07:30 AM
    ignites

CrackBerry Addict

Device(s): 8120, 8310, 9630, 9900, PlayBook 16 Gb

Pin: k is a colour..

They didn't say they were on an official

And none of the devices they say they are on are a 9930. Apples and oranges guys.

A 9930 is not the same Os as a 9900.

And my question was has anyone noticed this issue. I'm not the only one on a replacement of a 9930.

12-06-11 01:30 PM
    A 9930 is not the same Os as a 9900.
    Yeah no kidding. You asked how ignites was on 7.1...and it's beacuse ignites has a 9900.
    12-06-11 03:14 PM
    its never been a problem for me on my 2 month old vz 9930.my phones been flawless from the start.
    12-06-11 07:11 PM
    Stock .374 on my 9930. I do a soft reboot every night because I run a 1500mAh battery and want to make sure it gets charged all the way. No issues ever with my 9930.
    12-06-11 07:32 PM
    Battery door design was worst I've seen. Gotta scratch phone just to open
    12-06-11 11:18 PM
    Battery door design was worst I've seen. Gotta scratch phone just to open
    I use a credit card to pry it up, if the card slips it doesn't scratch the door. The spring loaded tab that locked the battery door down on Bold9650/Tour9630 was a better design, imo.
    12-07-11 07:08 AM
    I'm on my second 9930.
    First one gave me a JVM error after a CTL-ALT-DEL command. It would not reset for anytihng. Verizon said it was a known error and the device would have to be replaced.

Second one just gave me a 102 (reset software) error after a CTL-ALT-DEL command. I'm thinking that there might be something to this device not liking that particular command. I know that I wont be using it again. I'll just do a battery pull.

I love the device. I dont like the idea of uncertainty and system errors that could turn a good day into a bad one.

My two cents.

BTW, I was running the Verizon official OS.
    12-07-11 11:25 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD