1) Battery life. You probably knew that. I'd prefer a thicker phone with a longer battery. But I can live.

2) Screen brightness. It's plenty bright, the problem is it is too bright. The difference between setting 10 and setting 100 is basically nothing. It is frustrating because this is an easy fix and RIM blew it. I hate the screen at night -- it's too bright very often. I want a very dim screen at times. I bought a privacy screen protector on eBay but the problem is that then there's no "bright" screen any more, even at the 100 setting. I can't read it outside in the sun.
    09-26-11 04:13 PM
    Cue the violins.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bigpolla04 and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-26-11 04:15 PM
    Your privacy screen protector is the problem... Those things suck all of the brightness out of the screen.

If you disable the auto brightness, there is a very large difference between 10% and 100%...
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-26-11 04:23 PM
    1) Battery life. You probably knew that. I'd prefer a thicker phone with a longer battery. But I can live.

2) Screen brightness. It's plenty bright, the problem is it is too bright. The difference between setting 10 and setting 100 is basically nothing. It is frustrating because this is an easy fix and RIM blew it. I hate the screen at night -- it's too bright very often. I want a very dim screen at times. I bought a privacy screen protector on eBay but the problem is that then there's no "bright" screen any more, even at the 100 setting. I can't read it outside in the sun.

You want the screen dimmed at night, but not as dim as it is now with your current screen protector? 3M also make privacy/protection screens. You will have to do some experimenting to see which fits your needs.
    09-26-11 04:23 PM
    Your privacy screen protector is the problem... Those things suck all of the brightness out of the screen.

If you disable the auto brightness, there is a very large difference between 10% and 100%...
    Maybe I got a bad phone, but the difference between 10% and 100% is negligible to me. I've tried it with no screen protector, with a privacy one, and with a clear one. Same every time. When I read the phone late at night in bed, I want a REALLY dim screen. Even at 10%, the 9930's screen hurts my eyes. The problem is somewhat solved with a privacy protector but then I get a crappy screen during the day when I want it bright. All I want is a dramatic difference between 10% and 100% -- instead it is really like 90% and 100% IMO.
    09-26-11 04:26 PM
    I have my screen set at 10% and find it's still fairly bright. It's what I would have chosen during the day and something dimmer at night

09-26-11 04:30 PM
    Disable the automatic dim backlight setting.

If you cannot see a visible difference (indoors, not in sunlight) for each 10% on the backlight setting, something is wrong.
    09-26-11 04:41 PM
    Have you turned on automatic dimming in the screen settings?
    09-26-11 04:57 PM
    I would ask your carrier for another battery and the screen is no issue here. I can adjust it no problem.
    09-26-11 04:59 PM
    I have to say that I have no trouble adjusing my screen brightness either to a level that is comfortable day or night inside or out. I guess I just have gotten use to it.
    09-26-11 05:11 PM
    the problem is you are not seeing your problem...

Everyone said RIM makes out of date phones... They give you a phone that has (most) specs of any phone out there now iPhone and Android...

Everyone starts complaining about battery life... Do you not realize you just asked RIM to boost their hardware specs? it's obvious that there will be a little compromise in battery life.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-26-11 06:43 PM
    Use .353, battery life is majorly improved... Also turn auto-dim off in the same brightness settings screen

09-26-11 06:45 PM
    Originally Posted by rayzian
    Use .353, battery life is majorly improved... Also turn auto-dim off in the same brightness settings screen.

I'm using .362 and there is a MUCH greater battery life than the OS build that was on the phone when I bought it. I still have a spare ready but haven't needed it since I upgraded to .362......
    09-26-11 07:01 PM
    Convenience key location. I have it set to camera because...well, it's convenient. Sometimes when I pick it up I accidentally push it.

Other than that, this is the perfect phone for my needs and I am very happy I purchased it.
    09-26-11 07:17 PM
    Same thing, I wish the brightness level would go lower than 10%
    09-26-11 07:19 PM
    My only complaint I have is I have become a teenage girl now it feels like. I am excited to send and receive messages now unlike when I had the Storm.
    09-26-11 08:09 PM
    Once you get your settings right the battery is fine. The big trick for me was turning off the gps and the automatic social feeds refresh.
    09-26-11 09:47 PM

Agree on the battery life issue. Phone charged to 95% at night (1am), at 8:30am, its 65% without even me doing anything to the phone while I am sleeping.

So you can see, I dont know what I can do other than claiming warranty on this and in Indonesia, claiming warranty is a PITA...

- Charles
    09-26-11 09:58 PM
    Agree on the battery life issue. Phone charged to 95% at night (1am), at 8:30am, its 65% without even me doing anything to the phone while I am sleeping.

So you can see, I dont know what I can do other than claiming warranty on this and in Indonesia, claiming warranty is a PITA...

- Charles
    ... it does eat a lot of juice for a phone.. lol..
    09-26-11 10:08 PM
    10% is brighter than an iphone4 at 100%.
    09-26-11 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD