09-30-11 12:04 PM
66 123
tools
    The web browsing is actually quite acceptable most of the time. Flash support would be nice, autofocus camera would be welcome, although the camera it has isn't bad once you learn to set it for the type of shot you are taking. I would have been willing to have the phone a few mm fatter to have an AF camera and a 1500 ma battery, but unless iP5 comes with a keyboard, the 9900 is a keeper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 08:49 AM
    Couple of gripes:

Occasionally it will stop working for a few seconds when pulling it out of the holster, and sometimes even when not in the holster. No 'clock' or anything, just freezes and comes back to life after 5-10 secs.

STILL has that clock when downloading apps.

Pressing a link on the browser usually doesn't work. Have to press multiple times to finally get it to go. Also, scrolling on the browser is a nightmare. It seems they want you to finger-scroll and not use the track pad.

On texts or bbm when you finger scroll it will scroll to the top or bottom for no apparent reason.

Also, bluetooth and wifi don't always work very well

BUT, overall I really like it.

I assume a new update will fix (most of) these problems
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    09-26-11 09:15 AM
    A little over a week in now and every day I am liking this phone more. It is a Mexico 4 build updated to 353.

Battery: as a moderate/light user and an owner of a charge stand, (the phone makes an excellent alarm clock and the alarm "evolving seaside" is a brilliant sound to wake up to), I have not gone below 50% by the end of the day.

Touch Screen / Keyboard combo: This is why the phone keeps growing on me. There are two or more ways to do almost anything and as you use the phone you find yourself using buttons, track pad and the touch screen in ways that work with how you are holding the phone. It just gets easier and easier. I will not spend too much time on the keyboard as so much has already been said, but it is simply beautiful.

Web Browsing: Coming from a 8900, like others have said, I now use the phone as a web browsing tool. While screen real-estate IS an issue, using the touch screen to expand and move web content allows MOST sites to be comfortably read.

Bottom Line: very, VERY impressed and would not hesitate to recommend the handset to anyone who asks.

PS: the Rogers store in Burnaby told me that the 9900 was by far their hottest seller.
    09-26-11 09:18 AM
    I absolutely love my 9930 + PB combo. Nothing better IMO.
    09-26-11 09:48 AM
    I went from the 9700 to an iPhone 4, and now to the 9900. I'm really disappointed. First with the battery life. The first few days I had it, I would pull it off charge at 5am, use Bluetooth for the drive in, it sits at my desk for work (didn't have anyone on BBM yet) and then when I left to go home at 6pm it was at 6% battery life. Just from sitting at my desk, no wifi, no Bluetooth. So after looking around here, I updated the OS version to .353 from SK Telecom. That helped a bit, as well as changing polling of FB to once every half hour and removing the amazon mp3 inbedded program. For the same time frame with a couple of people on BBM, that took me to 50% by 6pm. Still not great in my opinion, I actually get better battery life on my iPhone 4. And I thought my iPhone was sh*t compared to my Bold 9700. The screen quality is still poor for rendering true colours and tonal shades, this where the iPhone4 really shines (I'm photographer in addition to my day job). Surfing wifi is almost as fast as the iPhone, but surfing via the carrier is much slower. The touch screen response and accuracy of where I'm touching vs. selection is pretty bad compared to the iPhone4.

I'm debating whether to sell this phone and go back to my iPhone.

You can't compare a BB to an iphone they are completely different animals. The same goes for android devices they are both faster and have a better app selection. This is where RIM has dropped the ball and I believe that QNX will be its competitor to the other platform's.
    So many people try comparing the two and its impossible. I just came back to BB from android and I will admit which is better but my reasons were that BB had features I needed android didn't.

So if you don't like what the new bold offers then I would do the same keep your iphone.
    09-26-11 10:04 AM
    You can't compare a BB to an iphone they are completely different animals. The same goes for android devices they are both faster and have a better app selection. This is where RIM has dropped the ball and I believe that QNX will be its competitor to the other platform's.
    So many people try comparing the two and its impossible. I just came back to BB from android and I will admit which is better but my reasons were that BB had features I needed android didn't.

So if you don't like what the new bold offers then I would do the same keep your iphone.

Thanks for commenting before me :P , its True fact ..
    but however i give it to you in cash : I HATE IPHONE literally :P , it is just like WOOW a beautiful Screen ,, but nothing to do with it ,, its priceless i prefer the mini Curve (NON 3G) from it ...

Thanks again ..
    09-26-11 10:58 AM
    Iphone=All beauty, no brains. Couldn't resist.

09-26-11 11:14 AM
    Apart from the battery life, I love it. The keyboard is magnificent and the combination with the trackpad and the touchscreen is brilliant.
    09-26-11 11:16 AM
    I've come from 83xx Curve, 9630, 9650, 9700

*9900 is the best BB ever
    *Love the Faux (4) G
    *Love the form factor, especially Tscreen and KB
    *Dissapointed on OS7, still hourglassess some times and have had 2 major crashes requiring OS reload due to applications failing (a photo editing app and a webcam app)
    *Battery life is the same as my 9700
    *Screen brightness does not dim as much and it won't brighten up much either, basicaclly narrow range of adjustment with very small standard deviations

Still an awesome phone!

09-26-11 11:22 AM
    i have the bold 9900 now for a couple a days and i love it..
    fore sure my best phone ever

09-26-11 11:57 AM
    I went from the 9700 to an iPhone 4, and now to the 9900. I'm really disappointed. First with the battery life. The first few days I had it, I would pull it off charge at 5am, use Bluetooth for the drive in, it sits at my desk for work (didn't have anyone on BBM yet) and then when I left to go home at 6pm it was at 6% battery life. Just from sitting at my desk, no wifi, no Bluetooth. So after looking around here, I updated the OS version to .353 from SK Telecom. That helped a bit, as well as changing polling of FB to once every half hour and removing the amazon mp3 inbedded program. For the same time frame with a couple of people on BBM, that took me to 50% by 6pm. Still not great in my opinion, I actually get better battery life on my iPhone 4. And I thought my iPhone was sh*t compared to my Bold 9700. The screen quality is still poor for rendering true colours and tonal shades, this where the iPhone4 really shines (I'm photographer in addition to my day job). Surfing wifi is almost as fast as the iPhone, but surfing via the carrier is much slower. The touch screen response and accuracy of where I'm touching vs. selection is pretty bad compared to the iPhone4.

I'm debating whether to sell this phone and go back to my iPhone.
    Take it back and wait for the iphone 5. this phone isn't up to par with todays market. A big keyboard and push email can only take you so far

09-26-11 01:21 PM
    I love my 9930. I previously used the 9650 and was very satisfied with it's performance for most of the time I used it.
    My only gripe with the 9930 OS 7 is that some of my favorite apps do not work and I cannot get any response for the respective developers about update plans. Other than that I love it.
    09-26-11 01:50 PM
    Still liking mine and it has been about a month. The battery life is weird but this phone is two times better than my torch. Been using this phone more than my iphone 4, couldn't say that with my torch
    09-26-11 02:18 PM
    Does everything i need my phone to do, fast and pretty too
    09-26-11 02:22 PM
    I have mine for about a month now and I got used to it. It's a good phone, but it does have several issues.

Good:
    - looks great, nice form factor
    - very good keyboard and superb screen
    - 1 day reasonable smartphone use battery life
    - nice default apps, nearly complete selection of everything I need
    - good notifications
    - great search feature
    - fast for most tasks
    - excellent call quality

Bad:
    - the middle unused area is incomprehensible, it's completely unused, no widgets or anything; why even bother closing the icon sections?
    - uses (slow) network data for multiple things, for no good reason, while in range of fast WiFi
    - occassionally crashes and needs a battery pull
    - several apps have bugs - for instance the podcast app will leave "zombie" podcasts which you cannot delete; the messenger apps lose connection randomly and will not log in automatically even when configured to do so; the feeds app sometimes goes by itself into a multiple selection mode and you have to use the navi key
    - AppStore got confused with the Playbook, not fixable until I did a factory reset on the 9900
    - browser loads many pages much too slowly compared to iPhone/Android and comes loaded with loads of junk bookmarks which cannot be deleted
    - sometimes very sluggish reaction to touch scroll or zoom in browser or feeds app
    - weak signal reception

I won't say I'm sorry I bought it and unfortunately there's no such thing as the perfect phone, having tried iPhones and Androids. But it is "work in progress", and there's a lot of work left.
    09-26-11 03:14 PM
    Still awesome. No defects. No battery issues like some have reported. Fast, sleek. What's not to like. Also bridging my PlayBook to it provides faster throughput of data it seems, than I ever had with my Tour or Curve 3G.
    09-26-11 03:31 PM
    Love the phone for the most part but still extremely irritated about the price. Good thing I only ended up paying $50 for it but the original $250 price tag is absolutely insane.

Also extremely annoyed at the buggy software. I'm using 353, and I still notice some completely unacceptable moments of lag, both with the touchscreen and just opening up random apps like even the text message icon. No autofocus and front face cameras are also huge turnoffs. But overall, I'm happy with the messaging system. Gonna check out the iPhone 5 or the Verizon Nexus though.
    09-26-11 03:58 PM
    All good here.
    09-26-11 04:14 PM
    after reading for a while all these topics, i decided to register and talk about my 9900.
    im from Spain were it is not released yet. So i bought an unlocked version and i use "movistar" as carrier.
    With 3G im not happy at all with the battery, but with 2G... its been 12 hours since it was fully charged and now it has 91% still. with 2 short phone calls, and about 20 min of BBM and whatsapp chat.

I've never seen 4G or H+ though, maybe because of my carrier...

The rest is perfect. im happy
    09-26-11 04:46 PM
    I really like the Bold as I love the keyboard. But I have moved to a Samsung S2 right now with the Bold sitting at home. Basically moved to an S2 cause there is so much do with the phone. Maybe the novelty will wear off in a little bit. Yes I miss the keyboard and sometimes the more compact size. As for battery the S2 kills my 9900. Not a big issue cause I always have access to a charger anyways. I have switched phones about 8 times in a year lol.
    09-26-11 06:48 PM
    Love it. It does everything I want it to do, and does it well. It's the first phone of any type that I have seen get a usable signal inside this building (which I swear must be lead lined!).
    No problems with the battery life, but I don't use it to play games, which I suspect makes a big difference.
    09-26-11 08:01 PM
    When I compared the 9900 to the iPhone4, it was strictly on the levels where they could be compared: battery life; screen quality; and touch screen response. I missed BBM which is one reasone why I came back, email use and set-up. A new one to compare, signal strength in my house. 9900 is terrible to the point where it ends up showing "SOS" in red, iPhone shows 1 bar and I can make a call, Bold 9700 (now my daughter's phone) is at 3 bars.

I'm not a fanboy to either make of phone, I would just like one package to meet my needs. I am a big fan of BBM, and I'm not a huge app user except when it comes to traffic reporting, some videos (ie. Netflix), and stocks. Let's face it, this is RIMs latest baby, and it is not doing so well. Sure, it is being raved by people who have upgraded from other BBs, but for a $600 phone I expect more ... not more of the same. I had hoped that it performed as well as my old 9700 (signal strength, battery life, call quality). And as I read people saying how great the screen is to look at, it is only when comparing to other BBs.

I do wish that you can disable the touch screen by choice, I wonder if that would aid the battery life.
    09-26-11 11:16 PM
    I love the phone and it's feature. I use to own a Pearl then Tour now Bold. The net and program speed seems to be way faster than my previous. Only thing I have a major gripe about is the battery time. I rarely use the phone, text, fb app, and web all day. I can kill the battery in 6 hours. It's the same routine I on all phones but this last much shorter. Also for some odd thing, my phone charging symbol is always on after being plugged in for 9-11 hours at night.

09-26-11 11:20 PM
    I just want an extended battery and a better browser.
    09-27-11 12:21 AM
    When I compared the 9900 to the iPhone4, it was strictly on the levels where they could be compared: battery life; screen quality; and touch screen response. I missed BBM which is one reasone why I came back, email use and set-up. A new one to compare, signal strength in my house. 9900 is terrible to the point where it ends up showing "SOS" in red, iPhone shows 1 bar and I can make a call, Bold 9700 (now my daughter's phone) is at 3 bars.

I'm not a fanboy to either make of phone, I would just like one package to meet my needs. I am a big fan of BBM, and I'm not a huge app user except when it comes to traffic reporting, some videos (ie. Netflix), and stocks. Let's face it, this is RIMs latest baby, and it is not doing so well. Sure, it is being raved by people who have upgraded from other BBs, but for a $600 phone I expect more ... not more of the same. I had hoped that it performed as well as my old 9700 (signal strength, battery life, call quality). And as I read people saying how great the screen is to look at, it is only when comparing to other BBs.

I do wish that you can disable the touch screen by choice, I wonder if that would aid the battery life.
    Going back to what you were saying earlier, if you go one for one (email for email, text for text, call for call) with a 9700/9780 and an iPhone4, as far as battery life, there's no way the iPhone will be a match.

I haven't looked in the the pricing for an iPhone4, but don't they fall around the same (retail) price? "$600 phone, I'd expect more." Especially with all the apps and repetitive GUI "updates" (more for the same) But it works for the Apple fans.

I'd make one suggestion, if you enjoy the iPhone and it's apps, stick with it, you can always wait until the BBM platform shows up on there which is happening.....I think that slipped under our radar for a while.
    09-27-11 01:22 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD