for me their advertising is suprisinglly good
    i know that their launching new OS7 devices 9900,9930,9810,9850,9860 etc
    and i know that it supposed to have "wi fi hot spot" capabilities cause i swear i read about it somewhere and as for the 9900/9930 special case i remember that i also read that eventhough their battery is lower capacity then previous devices due to the phone being slimmer which btw still doesn't make sense since there are lot of other brand that have bigger batttery in slimmer phones,...
    Did you "read it somewhere" like CB or in advertising? Items you mention sound more like blog posts seen by a few as opposed to more general user advertising. It would be great if blogs were enough, but IMO most users walking into a carrier store are not great blog researchers/readers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 05:24 PM
    i live in Indonesia
    here, Blackberries are the most common brand of mobile phone you can find.
    almost 80-90% of the people here uses blackberries .

btw those ads are already in the shopping malls , mostly in electronic shopping malls and newspaper about 1-2 months ago.
    so almost everybody here knows about the new devices and OS7.

but like i said though irrelevant to this subject, there's no use of advertising if you can't make a device as "true" as the ads themselves and some of my friends who own mobile phone shops here, stops selling the 9900 because of the high return rates due to defective phones (trackpad problem, button problem, screen flicker, etc)
    09-27-11 01:51 AM
    i live in Indonesia
    here, Blackberries are the most common brand of mobile phone you can find. almost 80-90% of the people here uses blackberries .

btw those ads are already in the shopping malls , mostly in electronic shopping malls and newspaper about 1-2 months ago.
    so almost everybody here knows about the new devices and OS7.

but like i said though irrelevant to this subject, there's no use of advertising if you can't make a device as "true" as the ads themselves and some of my friends who own mobile phone shops here, stops selling the 9900 because of the high return rates due to defective phones (trackpad problem, button problem, screen flicker, etc)
    Thanks - you are living in one of the very few places where BB is actually advertising! Most/all other areas so far are reporting nothing or near zero.

(BTW the 99xx has only been sold in my USA region for less than a month & the reliability is good. Battery life has been the major concern by some who are using early software versions or draining programs - but still longer than Androids)
    09-27-11 09:59 PM
    BlackBerry's latest youtube commercial, pretty good. But still needs to market better overall.

09-27-11 10:29 PM
    A couple of hours ago I saw the First AD for the BB9900 on TV. I was like, "Wow, Finally!" but then I immediately countered with, "But it's not released from AT&T...yet" lol.
    09-27-11 10:52 PM
    When I started this thread, I didn't know the history that just came out in the WSJ article - including RIM's axing of their ad agency just before the Playbook launch. That article also mentioned some of the differences of opinion at the top with different marketing/ad approaches.
    That type of mixed direction makes it tough to mount a consistent, powerful & successful advertising campaign - that works in step with the product and other outreach work.
    Sad is a word that comes to mind.
    10-01-11 08:46 PM
    I haven't seen any for the new phones at all. The grade is F. They shouldn't have even had any for the playbook until after 2.0 comes out. I think their advertising on it did it more harm then good.
    10-01-11 09:18 PM
    RIM's Identity Crisis
    Here we go again, rant number two

Be Cool, Be Professional, Not Both

- RIM's branding has something that no competitor has; they're users are assumed to be productive. This may not seam like an enormous edge, but think about this, what would people think of someone who said they where on their Android or iPhone all day? Now ask the same question, but with a BlackBerry. Advertising features that contradict this is brand suicide.

No Excuses

- The product will garner attention for it's business branding alone. Media features are for removing an excuse to buy something else. No one is buying a BlackBerry over other smart phones because of it's massive app store or wicked media players. Just remove the excuse, don't make it the reason.

It's a Material World

- BlackBerries use to have the best build materials, but the industry has wised up. Look at the iPhone 4 design; it makes the iPhone 3g look cheap. That's how a flagship BlackBerry use to look compared to all other smart phones. They need to get that back. They need to start overspending on build materials.

The Final Torch

- It's too late. A beautiful OS or awesome apps is never going to be the reason for buying a BlackBerry. If QNX was going to do that, they would have never needed QNX. The only thing left to do is fortify what set the brand during the BB "gold age". Unfortunately, the competitors are making it harder to do that, and RIM is getting lost playing their game. Be Bold by being focused, not by waving a Torch to your weaknesses.

- Pun Police, please arrest me now.

Not all retail sales are for retail features

- The majority of RIM's sales growth is from retail sales. It's been like this for years, and they've known it. What they don't know and what will be on their tombstone... Not all retail sales are for retail features.

Okay, that's it. No more rants. I'm just some person writing in a forum. RIM isn't listening. Come to think of it, it's Saturday night, neither should you. Cheers.
    Last edited by ONE618; 10-01-11 at 10:46 PM.
    10-01-11 10:40 PM
    The WSJ article gave insight into who RIM had let go, and the differences of opinion.
    Who is doing their advertising work now - anyone know? Whoever it is is no doubt cruising CB - we hope.
    10-03-11 07:06 PM
    RIM's Identity Crisis
    Be Cool, Be Professional, Not Both
    - RIM's branding has something that no competitor has; they're users are assumed to be productive. This may not seam like an enormous edge, but think about this, what would people think of someone who said they where on their Android or iPhone all day? Now ask the same question, but with a BlackBerry. Advertising features that contradict this is brand suicide.
    Great thoughts. A great campaign would find a way to highlight this "productive" advantage without conveying nerdiness.
    IMO -- focus on what "productive" prople have more time for - fun - rather than focusing on them being productive.
    Imagine watching someone who is out having a great time at the party or with friends - because they could communicate effectively/reliably - while others are stuck in the corner with something that looks cooll but is not productive.
    Productive people have more fun, get ahead, have better lives.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 10-03-11 at 09:31 PM.
    10-03-11 07:17 PM
    Great thoughts. A great campaign would find a way to highlight this "productive" advantage without conveying nerdiness.
    IMO -- focus on what "productive" prople have more time for - fun - rather than focusing on them being productive.
    Imagine watching someone who is out having a great time at the party or with friends - because they could communicate effectively/reliably - while others are stuck in the corner with something that looks cooll but is not productive.
    Productive people have more fun, get ahead, have better lives.
    That almost sounds like the bad Windows Phone 7 commercials.
    10-03-11 11:00 PM
    I believe RIM does not have a marketing department. Whatever market research they do is probably done as a side gig by some other department like HR or maybe Mike L is doing that on the weekends LOL
    10-04-11 10:27 AM
    RIM sucks on advertising that's why they don't sell blackberries. PERIOD

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 11:24 AM
    The carriers and RIM both suck at advertising. I see carrier commercials quite frequently, but they are never advertising a BlackBerry - it's almost always an android device of some flavor.
    10-04-11 11:38 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD