My 9900 with V7.1.0.205 and 22 apps installed (some which are default apps) has 149MB "memory" free according to appworld.

I recall when the device was clean (only default apps installed) I had about 190MB free. Something like that.

Anyway, I run the Blackberry Device Analyzer just to see what it says.I select "Issues with Device Responsiveness" and it immediately says I'm running low on memory. OK, RIM, did you leave users with enough "memory" whether it be Flash or RAM??????

I love my BB, but am so disappointed that I can install countless apps on my iPod Touch but my BB warns me as soon as I install a dozen or so apps. What gives? If they want appworld to succeed, they need to let us install apps!!!!

BTW, I have ALL my media on the SD card and am saving only 30 days of emails on the phone. Not sure what else I can do help them free up some "memory".

Yes, I'm writing this as I watch the American Football NFC championship.

Thoughts.
    01-22-12 07:58 PM
    I am running the same on my 9900 and I just ran the test said I was fine. 158MB free. Maybe you had too many apps open at the same time as I think that's free ram not app space
    01-22-12 08:07 PM
    22 apps? You need an iphone.
    01-22-12 09:12 PM
    20 apps here, and no low memory. Do I need an iPhone?

wolfee48 likes this.
    01-22-12 09:16 PM
    I hve 22 apps on my 9930 and 225mb free. It has more than enough space.
    01-22-12 10:02 PM
    I have around 20 apps and 160MB free. I didn't shrink the OS though.
    01-22-12 10:04 PM
    I think once you drop below 150MB free the low warning begins.

Not sure why I am so low on memory. I just reset my emails to only save 30 days ( was set on 60 days). Manually deleted all over 30 days. Didn't help much at all.

All my apps (including the built in apps such as BBM, Protect, etc) take up 43MB. Where has all my app memory gone?

I tried to repair the SD media as well as built in memory. Says all is OK.
    01-22-12 10:52 PM
    I deleted a few unused apps and now the system says 154MB free. The device responsiveness test now says I am not running low on memory.

Knowing that I'm right on the edge of being low again, I looked around little more. I clicked OPTIONS > APPLICATION MANAGEMENT. On the Applications Storage tab when I click the + on the first entry it tells me how my RAM is being allocated.

System 248MB
    Applications 72MB
    Other 69MB
    Free 154 MB

What is OTHER? Can people please report what they are seeing on their device?

As I understood it, the 9900 was to have 768MB RAM with 512MB free for applications. Why is 248MB being used by the System?

DO I need to wipe this phone and start over again?
    01-23-12 08:38 AM
    What is OTHER? Can people please report what they are seeing on their device?

As I understood it, the 9900 was to have 768MB RAM with 512MB free for applications. Why is 248MB being used by the System?
    No idea what Other is, probably databases and settings etc.

System is your OS, that's also stored in the Application Memory.

Mine looks like this...

01-23-12 11:01 AM
    I have 220MB free. Use Desktop manager to delete unused languages. I got the biggest boost when I deleted all but English and German.
    01-23-12 12:30 PM
    Other is at least partially made up of leaked memory. I used MeterBerry to recover and Other dropped equivalent. I rebooted and the MB associated with Other was cut in half (equivalent to the amount of lost mem MeterBerry was displaying).
    01-23-12 02:20 PM
    Here are my stats
    System- 257.6
    Apps. - 31.2
    Other. - 29.9
    Free. - 225.2

I have a 9930.
    01-23-12 02:24 PM
    You can get another 70-100mb shrinking some of the OS stuff
    01-23-12 02:30 PM
    My 9900 with V7.1.0.205 and 22 apps installed (some which are default apps) has 149MB "memory" free according to appworld.

I recall when the device was clean (only default apps installed) I had about 190MB free. Something like that.

Anyway, I run the Blackberry Device Analyzer just to see what it says.I select "Issues with Device Responsiveness" and it immediately says I'm running low on memory. OK, RIM, did you leave users with enough "memory" whether it be Flash or RAM??????

I love my BB, but am so disappointed that I can install countless apps on my iPod Touch but my BB warns me as soon as I install a dozen or so apps. What gives? If they want appworld to succeed, they need to let us install apps!!!!

BTW, I have ALL my media on the SD card and am saving only 30 days of emails on the phone. Not sure what else I can do help them free up some "memory".

Yes, I'm writing this as I watch the American Football NFC championship.

Thoughts.

You are confusing app storage and flash ram.
    Device analyzer responsiveness test is checking your flash ram. This has nothing to do with how many apps you have. If you ad a lot of them open and running then the flash ram with be used up.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-23-12 04:19 PM
    With all due respect, I think you are incorrect.

Flash is writable ROM (Read Only Memory) also known as EEPROM. RAM is Random Access Memory. RAM does not survive a loss of power unlike Flash ROM which does.

The BB9900 has 768MB RAM. Unfortunately less than 512MB is available for apps since RIM loaded the OS/system in 256MB or so.

Then there's the issue of the "OTHER" category which no one seems to know anything about and on my phone is 64MB. So, with the 71MB of apps and data (which seems to include emails, txt, contacts list, call logs, etc) my phone has a wee bit over 150MB left. Fall below 150MB and the 9900 Device Analyzer will tell you you're running low on memory.

So, did they provide enough RAM or did they fall short and leave us with a phone that falls flat on its face once you load some apps, emails, contacts, etc...

I think the problem is in their memory management.

I'm no fan of the iFruit, but my iPod Touch has over 40 Apps on it and is not complaining.

You are confusing app storage and flash ram.
    Device analyzer responsiveness test is checking your flash ram. This has nothing to do with how many apps you have. If you ad a lot of them open and running then the flash ram with be used up.

BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by claykin; 01-23-12 at 08:12 PM.
    01-23-12 08:07 PM
    Here are my stats
    System- 257.6
    Apps. - 31.2
    Other. - 29.9
    Free. - 225.2

I have a 9930.
    I need to figure out why my OTHER is 2x yours.

I have scoured the contents of the Device memory and cannot find anything. I've got next to nothing stored in device memory. Says 100% free. Its actually more like 99.75% free. I'm using a total of 19MB according to Meterberry.

I even connected to Device Manager and checked the databases. Cleaned a bunch of stuff and still no change to OTHER.

I also checked for stuff to delete and I have a fairly skinny OS (unless I shrink it). Only English installed and I uninstalled useless apps to me like Yahoo, Google Talk, etc..

Just cannot figure it out!
    Last edited by claykin; 01-23-12 at 08:15 PM.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    01-23-12 08:10 PM
    I need to figure out why my OTHER is 2x yours.

I have scoured the contents of the Device memory and cannot find anything. I've got next to nothing stored in device memory. Says 100% free. Its actually more like 99.75% free. I'm using a total of 19MB according to Meterberry.

I even connected to Device Manager and checked the databases. Cleaned a bunch of stuff and still no change to OTHER.

I also checked for stuff to delete and I have a fairly skinny OS (unless I shrink it). Only English installed and I uninstalled useless apps to me like Yahoo, Google Talk, etc..

Just cannot figure it out!
    I never shrunk my OS either. I was at @150mb or so and I had a cpl games on my phone tht I never played and when I deleted them I went up to where I am now. So those two apps was causing a memory leak tht I didn't get the memory back until I deleted the app. So maybe the same thing is happening to u. Once I found those two returned so much memory to me I went ahead and deleted all my apps and just installed the ones I use and just kept a eye on my memory for a few days to see if I had any memory leak frm the ones I hve now. My memory level has been the same since those two apps hve been deleted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-12 09:20 PM
    Don't quote me on this but
    I'm pretty sure other is a 'swap/page' file. When garbage collections happen it frees ram and moves some objects to swap space (which is a page file/partition of your application storage)

The device analyzer is showing flash memory NOT ram. I'm never above 23% aka 'always low on memory'. (And yes the phonegets slow) it doesn't help that bb traffic, bbm and other native apps are 4mb+ apps or big nonetheless. 7 of my essential apps are over 3.5mbs
    01-23-12 09:35 PM
    With all due respect, I think you are incorrect.

Flash is writable ROM (Read Only Memory) also known as EEPROM. RAM is Random Access Memory. RAM does not survive a loss of power unlike Flash ROM which does.

The BB9900 has 768MB RAM. Unfortunately less than 512MB is available for apps since RIM loaded the OS/system in 256MB or so.

Then there's the issue of the "OTHER" category which no one seems to know anything about and on my phone is 64MB. So, with the 71MB of apps and data (which seems to include emails, txt, contacts list, call logs, etc) my phone has a wee bit over 150MB left. Fall below 150MB and the 9900 Device Analyzer will tell you you're running low on memory.

So, did they provide enough RAM or did they fall short and leave us with a phone that falls flat on its face once you load some apps, emails, contacts, etc...

I think the problem is in their memory management.

I'm no fan of the iFruit, but my iPod Touch has over 40 Apps on it and is not complaining.

Nice story bro.

Flash ram and app storage are two different things on this device.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-24-12 12:21 AM
    Nice story bro.

Flash ROM
    Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    01-24-12 01:18 AM
    Nice story bro.

What they said was mostly correct.
    The fact is blackberry has 768mb/ram and 512mb/flash (app storage). Personally, my required install(system applications) is 238mb (I shrink my os). Right now I have 100mb of 3rd party apps add those to 'other/swap' and my memory is always 'low' according device analyzer.

But what can you do? I'm not about to uninstall apps. They didn't build the phones to handle much more than 100mb of third party apps, atleast not comfortably. I don't think I'd be able to have my app selection if I didn't shrink out everything non essential.
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 01-24-12 at 01:47 AM.
    01-24-12 01:45 AM
    I hve 22 apps on my 9930 and 225mb free. It has more than enough space.
    How did you manage that? mine looks like this:

System: 253.8 MB
    Applications: 88.4 MB
    Other: 69.8 MB
    Free: 131.8 MB

and i've shrunk my OS or at least tried to.
    01-24-12 11:08 AM
    How did you manage that? mine looks like this:

System: 253.8 MB
    Applications: 88.4 MB
    Other: 69.8 MB
    Free: 131.8 MB

and i've shrunk my OS or at least tried to.
    I have no idea why its so much. I haven't done any shrinking of my OS in fact my last OS update was done thru a OTA. The apps I have are not tht big in size. At least the ones I put on. I have the ones frm Blackberry like BBM docs to go twitter and things like tht still. Looks like u have almost 3 times the amount of app space used as I do. Sorry I couldn't help but Good luck with getting urs up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-12 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD