Hey everyone,

I am frantically trying to decide whether I should trade my iphone 4S for a Bold 9930 or just buy it outright from my friend. Both are in good condition. I do like the iPhone but I cant help but miss my old blackberry tour. I can't type near as well on it for texting. I do understand BB10 is out and it's awesome, but I do not have a upgrade for a year and to buy one is going to cost around 500 right now.

First I would love for you guys to give me your thoughts on the 9930 and please be honest! Is it a good phone what are the pos/neg? How are the apps and will any new ones be added? (Il explain which ones I use below), Will Blackberry continue to support/update this device as I understand it's been out for almost a year and a half?, How does Music work on the phone?

Basically just a little confused as you can tell on the 9930 and BB10. I know it doesn't get the update but does blackberry just forget about it here soon?

The apps I use most on my iPhone are.. Twitter, Facebook, Flipboard, ESPN, Pandora, Maps and iOS apps like Notes, reminders, calendar. Will I be able to find these apps or similar replacements?

Lastly, do you reccomend a blackberry playbook to compliment the 9930 or are they upgraded to BB10 now as well? If so, will it be functional or with the 9930?

Sorry for so many questions please help crackberry! Im driving myself crazy!!!
    05-12-13 11:38 PM
    past 9900 user here which is the same phone as the 9930.
    absolutely loved it. very big keyboard, best out there fastest legacy blackberry out there. solid build, looks good feels good. battery life for me was very good, no it will not be your tour battery life but far
    better than the battery life on your 4s
    well apps on blackberry 7 are far and few between, and its up to developers to make new apps for legacy devices
    but there are plenty of applications in blackberry world still.
    twitter yes facebook yes flipboard, im not sure. espn no application, mobile website only. pandora yes maps yes notepad yes reminders/calander yes and nothing will beat it, Its a blackberry!
    to compliment your 9930, yes i would recommend you get a playbook if you an get one cheap. it runs pbos which is basically early bb10
    its really awesome by itself, will eventually get an upgrade to bb10 and when it is bridged to your 9930, it is AWESOME!!!
    there will be continued support for os 7 devices but the main focus for blackberry is bb10 now.
    also, i forgot to answer this music app on the 9930 is awesome. i loved it.

sorry im not spell checking or capitalizing, im tired. lol

edit: wow that really is painful to read. My apologies.
    DarlinNikki86 and Bballbenb like this.
    05-13-13 12:37 AM
    Hey everyone,

I am frantically trying to decide whether I should trade my iphone 4S for a Bold 9930 or just buy it outright from my friend. Both are in good condition. I do like the iPhone but I cant help but miss my old blackberry tour. I can't type near as well on it for texting. I do understand BB10 is out and it's awesome, but I do not have a upgrade for a year and to buy one is going to cost around 500 right now.

First I would love for you guys to give me your thoughts on the 9930 and please be honest! Is it a good phone what are the pos/neg? How are the apps and will any new ones be added? (Il explain which ones I use below), Will Blackberry continue to support/update this device as I understand it's been out for almost a year and a half?, How does Music work on the phone?

Basically just a little confused as you can tell on the 9930 and BB10. I know it doesn't get the update but does blackberry just forget about it here soon?

The apps I use most on my iPhone are.. Twitter, Facebook, Flipboard, ESPN, Pandora, Maps and iOS apps like Notes, reminders, calendar. Will I be able to find these apps or similar replacements?

Lastly, do you reccomend a blackberry playbook to compliment the 9930 or are they upgraded to BB10 now as well? If so, will it be functional or with the 9930?

If you enjoyed your Tour you'll adore the Bold. Better in every way conceivable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-13-13 12:50 AM
    Could i switch my old sim card in my tour over to the 9930? How much would it cost if not? Is that they only thing I would have to do aside from activation to get it to work?
    05-13-13 09:19 AM
    Could i switch my old sim card in my tour over to the 9930? How much would it cost if not? Is that they only thing I would have to do aside from activation to get it to work?
    I am not sure about switching but unless you are traveling to Europe or elsewhere, the sim card is not used on the Verizon network in the US (and I don't think it is used in Canada either)
    05-13-13 09:25 AM
    I still use my 9930 as the Q10 isn't out in the US yet, but even still, the 9930 has been such a great phone for what I use it for that I'm in no real hurry to upgrade. Mine's coupled with a Playbook. Obviously, as other posters have mentioned, the app selection is paltry compared to Apple's but most of the ones you need are available on the 9930 and get the job done. It does all of the reminders and calendar and notes. Twitter, Facebook, and Pandora are available. Scoremobile works great as an ESPN alternative but no ESPN app. Blackberry Maps is very competent but I also have the Google Maps app on my phone as well.

The keyboard is simply amazing. Me personally, I don't care for a bunch of apps and games. I use my Playbook to read and play games on. My 9930 is used for texting, communication, and emails.

If you're wanting to come back because you miss the keyboard experience, you don't care about having a bunch of apps, and your friend is giving you a great deal and you trust him/her, then I say go for it. Again, we all have different needs and wants for our phones. Because I couple my 9930 with my Playbook, I get the flash player that I need to watch some videos that won't play on my 9930. This is obviously a user preference on whether to get a Playbook or not.

Hey everyone,

DarlinNikki86 and Bballbenb like this.
    05-13-13 11:54 AM
    I own both a Blackberry Bold 9930 and an Apple iPhone 4, and I personally strongly preferred the iPhone 4, even though it was an older device. I know at least some of the apps you mentioned, like ESPN ScoreCenter, are not available for BB 7 devices. However, if you are accustomed to a physical keyboard in a bar/portrait layout, the Bold 9930 could be a very good device for you. From what I've read, the Bold 9930 browser is much better than earlier Blackberries (and in absolute terms is solid, comparable to browsers on 3G CDMA devices with iOS, Android OS, Windows Phone 7 OS, and webOS), the screen resolution is excellent (albeit on a small screen), and the touchscreen is nice.
    Bballbenb likes this.
    05-13-13 05:21 PM
    I am not sure about switching but unless you are traveling to Europe or elsewhere, the sim card is not used on the Verizon network in the US (and I don't think it is used in Canada either)
    Yeah, F2 is right - you don't need the SIM card to operate a Bold 9930 on Verizon in the U.S.; the SIM card is only used for international travel to areas that only or primarily have 3G GSM networks.
    Bballbenb likes this.
    05-13-13 05:29 PM
    does the 9930 Bold sync up at all with the iPad? Also whats the preferred method of syncing docs to go with a pc/macbook/ipad? Dropbox or the desktop software manager?
    05-13-13 05:50 PM
    does the 9930 Bold sync up at all with the iPad? Also whats the preferred method of syncing docs to go with a pc/macbook/ipad? Dropbox or the desktop software manager?
    in terms of connectivity? nope. Playbook is where that comes into play.
    Also it all depends on how you want to do it. Obviously if you're on the go, Using desktop software wouldn't be efficient.
    05-13-13 06:55 PM