Went into the Sprint store last night and played with the Torch 9860 and Bold 9930. I went in thinking it was going to be a no brainer on which one I would want... the 9930.

However, after playing with both, I was seriously torn. I love the 9860's screen size and it seems like I would use the touch screen much more on it. Also, it is smaller so since i carry my phones in my front pants pocket it would fit better.

That said I don't like the keyboard as I like to be able to feel the keys so that I can type without having to look down at the keys. The Bold obviously has this and is faster.

I use my phone for a lot of web surfing, emails, texting and tethering... not much else beyond that (at this point). Any suggestions on which I should go with?
    09-14-11 07:36 AM
    Sounds like you answered your own question. Typing without looking.
    09-14-11 08:00 AM
    Sounds like you answered your own question. Typing without looking.
    Understand, but the screen of the 9860 is really nice.... perhaps I should have just asked for the 9930 users, do you use the touch screen very much?
    09-14-11 08:05 AM
    After four years of typing on keyboards (8830, then the Tour), I thought I would have a problem typing on glass. For me, the transition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's just a learning curve. I love the extra screen size. The Tour still gets used, and at times, I find I am drawn to the keyboard.

The big thing to me was that I typed so much on my Tour that the tips of my thumbs started hurting. Since moving to a touchscreen, my fingers don't hurt anymore.
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-14-11 08:09 AM
    Is there a comparative review between these two any where? Basically, pros and cons for each and the type of user each is best for?
    09-14-11 10:09 AM
    I think that Blackberry users that use their device mostly for Emails and text communication should get the 9900 / 9930... keyboard device anyway..

The 9860 is really great but i think it's more for people who like to watch movies / videos and play games with their device.

The 9900 / 9930 Blackberry is perfect for internet and Email... so i suggest you to get it instead of the 9860.
    Epitome1170 likes this.
    09-14-11 10:35 AM
    I think that Blackberry users that use their device mostly for Emails and text communication should get the 9900 / 9930... keyboard device anyway..

The 9860 is really great but i think it's more for people who like to watch movies / videos and play games with their device.

The 9900 / 9930 Blackberry is perfect for internet and Email... so i suggest you to get it instead of the 9860.
    Thanks... this is exactly the kind of advice needed.
    09-14-11 10:42 AM
    I too tried both devices and swore before I parted with my storm 2 that I would never go away from a full touch again. Guess what, I bought the 9930. This device is just a step above in my opinion. Don't know why, but I like to refer to it as the bold having the "it" factor.

I find myself using the touch screen a lot more than I thought as well...great device all around.
    09-14-11 11:11 AM
    I too tried both devices and swore before I parted with my storm 2 that I would never go away from a full touch again. Guess what, I bought the 9930. This device is just a step above in my opinion. Don't know why, but I like to refer to it as the bold having the "it" factor.

I find myself using the touch screen a lot more than I thought as well...great device all around.
    Does the smaller screen ever annoy/bother you or make you jealous of the torch?
    09-14-11 01:04 PM

This is true. The touch screen is one of these things that you don't think you will use it until you have it. I know that after testing the 9930 for my company for one day, I went back to my old 9650 and found myself pressing on the screen thinking it was still touch screen. Go with the 9930, it really is a great device
    09-14-11 01:18 PM
    I also checked out both the 9930 & the 9860 at my local Sprint store yesterday after work. I went in to see the 9930 ... had no intention to even look at the 9960. I was greeted at the door by a salesperson (very professional, polite, & helpful) & he took me over to the 9930. He said it was his favorite phone. I liked it a lot. Then he showed me the 9960 & recommended I check it out too. To my surprise, I loved the 9960. This thing is a beauty in person & has no resemblance to the old Storm. It's very sleek & un-brick-like with nicely tapered sides & a good-looking, clear screen that actually looks a little larger than the iPhone's screen (at least in length) . Both phones were light years ahead of any BlackBerry I've ever owned before, but I'm leaning toward the 9960 now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 01:26 PM
    Sorry, I meant 9860, of course, not "9960"

09-14-11 01:29 PM
    I debated between the two myself, I mainly use my phone for emails and typing but at times will use other apps. I personally like the 9850 for the extra screen size especially when using Facebook, Google Maps and Web browsing. Plus, the new QNX phones are supposedly going to have virtual keyboards as this seems to be the new future for devices so why stay behind on a physical keyboard; got to make the move sooner or later, the 9850 is a great phone for this transition.
    09-14-11 01:49 PM
    I was an old school storm user but there is just something about the 9930 that I could not resist. I send a ton of emails all day and the 9930 is a dream to type on.
    09-14-11 01:50 PM
    Before even looking at the 9860 is was DEAD set on getting the 9900. Then I started looking at the 9860 and was torn between the two phones. I got to play with the 9900 for about 15 days before using the 9860 and definitely found the Torch to be the phone for me.

I can type on both equally as fast, which is faster than I could type on my 9700 and with less errors too.

Because the typing was a non issue I voted for the bigger screen. Because when it comes down to it between the two phones... do you like a keyboard? or a large screen? If you can type just as good on both phones, the larger screen is a no brainer. Good luck on your choice!
    09-14-11 02:09 PM
    They are both beautiful phones, aren't they?

I was waiting on the 9850/9860 to be released on AT&T, but I chose the 9810 instead. It gives you the best of both worlds: a large touch screen with a smaller keyboard than the Bold. Unfortunately, it's an AT&T exclusive.

I have to agree with my fellow posters when they say each phone satisfies two different users. The Bold is definatly for messaging and those who really want power from their phone. The Torch is more for those who want a phone for media and gaming. Both are very attractive and amazing devices!

But this is the beauty of BlackBerry! You can find a BlackBerry phone for almost any kind of person. The choice is yours and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose!
    09-14-11 02:22 PM
    I have both phones at home. I picked up the 9930 for me & the 9850 for my girlfriend. We're both coming off of Storm 1's so we are used to virtual keyboards. I picked up the 9930 just to try the physical keyboard & I really thought I would return it for the 9850 but after a few days I'm thinking that I will keep it.

I do mainly email, RSS reading & some web browsing with the phone & so far the 9930 has handled these perfectly. The combination of physical keyboard with a touch screen just works really well for me. I do miss the aditional screen real estate at times but, for me, the physical keyboard makes up for it.
    09-14-11 02:31 PM
    Screen size is number one for me. I actually find it easier to type on a touch screen then on a hard keyboard. I'm taking it that the 9930 and the 9850 and your only 2 choices, otherwise you could have split the difference with the 9810. Bigger screen and a hard keyboard. The most important thing you have going for you is that you won't lose no matter which one of them you pick. Both are great phones.
    09-14-11 04:30 PM
    Does the smaller screen ever annoy/bother you or make you jealous of the torch?
    Maybe just a little. But in all honesty the bold screen is tremendous! The overall device offers more to me than the torch would have. The bold is just a must have

09-15-11 06:29 AM
    I am a member on some other tech forums, but the responses I got on this one is amazing... goodbye other forums... hello crackberry!

Thank you everyone for your opinions... still have not made a decision, but it sounds like I cannot go wrong one way or another... I think I may try the 9860 ($100 cheaper) and see how I like it... if I cant get used to the keyboard within 30 days I will return it and try the bold.
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-15-11 06:58 AM
    Good decision. I think you will want to keep the 9860 :-). And the $100 is nice too.

09-15-11 10:31 AM
    i just want to point out that watching movies on the 9930 really isnt that bad.

just a smaller screen.
    Guatiao likes this.
    09-15-11 10:35 AM
    Thanks... this is exactly the kind of advice needed.
    As a communicaiton device, you won't find a better one than the 9930. Having used a lot of touch screens with no keyboard, I'd have to say that you will have a lot more typos than with a well designed physical keyboard. I found myself a lot slower in typing, and also

And ... I think the BB is far better as a pure comms device (BBM and IM's, email, social network updates, phone, SMS) than they are a multimedia pocket computer (yet).

If you are going to do a lot of multimedia and game playing you may want to consider a hand held game console or a tablet. I found the screen even on the rather large EVO 4G to be unsuitable for web surfing and TV/Movie watching. Xoom has no such qualms - bet the Playbook would be fine as well.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 09-15-11 at 10:51 AM.
    09-15-11 10:44 AM
    As a communicaiton device, you won't find a better one than the 9930. Having used a lot of touch screens with no keyboard, I'd have to say that you will have a lot more typos than with a well designed physical keyboard. I found myself a lot slower in typing, and also

And ... I think the BB is far better as a pure comms device (BBM and IM's, email, social network updates, phone, SMS) than they are a multimedia pocket computer (yet).

If you are going to do a lot of multimedia and game playing you may want to consider a hand held game console or a tablet. I found the screen even on the rather large EVO 4G to be unsuitable for web surfing and TV/Movie watching. Xoom has no such qualms - bet the Playbook would be fine as well.
    Agreed that the BB is not a pocket computer, however, it is still used pretty closely as such (for myself) as a matter of convenience. I am inheritently lazy and so when I get home from work the last thing I want to look at is a computer monitor, but I still want the technology so I go to my phone pretty often to browse the web.
    09-15-11 02:03 PM
    Leaning towards the 98xx but realize both are great phones and could survive with either. I'm starting with the 98xx and then we'll see at 30 days. (aside from the poor Q2 news, I was glad for RIMM to see the choices confronting us - such a switch from the void a few months ago)
    09-17-11 10:56 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD